eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this demo in places. But there’s something I can’t put my finger on - something about it is...a little boring. I don’t know if it’s because I’m completely uninterested in football gaming at the moment though.

I love this demo in places. But there’s something I can’t put my finger on - something about it is...a little boring. I don’t know if it’s because I’m completely uninterested in football gaming at the moment though.

Considering you've been playing the same game for the past 4 years, is it really surprising?

It also depends on the team you support too and whether you care to take them to dreamy heights, whether you consider GP to be real money and how much you love black balls.

How does the new dribbling work? i'm messing round offline trying to get to grips and the timing seems difficult. So let's say I'm just moving from left to right pressing right on the analogue stick. Do I take my fingers off and then do the dribble combo or do I just flick the right stick and then move the left stick. I cant get the consistency here. I know some moves depend on skill attributes. But they all seem to do the little jink outside and move and I end up getting dispossessed.

I do feel the refs are too fussy making the game stop/start as well. Though the free kicks are sweet

Wanted to put this up in response to Fernandez’s post about how he feels defending isn’t well represented in pes2020 and how the back line allow the forwards to much space..

Also this misconception that play should always be compact and the space pressed..

Look at the amount of space there is in these examples and the distance between the front players and the defensive back line at times..

There’s even examples of the back line retreating and giving forwards space as I saw countless times in the premiership yesterday.

But the video you've posted support the point I was making. Which clip in the video relates to the scenario that I described and disputes it, cause I've watched it and they illustrate my point.

Online on ps4 ofc, i think conx lag has to do with the delay..
giphy.gif

But the video you've posted support the point I was making. Which clip in the video relates to the scenario that I described and disputes it, cause I've watched it and they illustrate my point.

But it’s also exactly how the cpu varies it up..

There’s time’s the cpu will compress the space and times’s when the cpu allow’s more space and time..

My point is look at the distance between the ball carrier and the defenders at times,plus the amount of space there is all over the park(in the video).

There’s even a example of passive defending and the opposing front line not pressuring the ball.(in the video)

Arsenal yesterday..The amount of times I saw there backline literally running away from forwards so the defence could reposition themselves and let the midfield mop up(it was so pes2020 and uncanny).

I just don’t think a game where the cpu is always compressing the space and pressing the ball carrier is reflective of the real game..or a good reflection of game difficulty(there’s more then one way to defend).

Last edited:
How does the new dribbling work? i'm messing round offline trying to get to grips and the timing seems difficult. So let's say I'm just moving from left to right pressing right on the analogue stick. Do I take my fingers off and then do the dribble combo or do I just flick the right stick and then move the left stick. I cant get the consistency here. I know some moves depend on skill attributes. But they all seem to do the little jink outside and move and I end up getting dispossessed.

I do feel the refs are too fussy making the game stop/start as well. Though the free kicks are sweet
Holding the right stick does the finesse dribble (formally know as R2+LS)! Let go of LS!
Flick (RS) for a trick! Hey that’s easy to remember. :D
Flicking the RS (does the trick, the body feints) and then move the LS where you wanna go.
Holding R2 and doing RS movement like quarter circle is giving you the step over tricks and more.
Then there is slight LS movement wich let’s players do shuffle tricks. Feet movements. Short body fakes.
All this (and there is more) you can do standing and running with various outcomes.

Now, isn’t that a sweet demo?! :LOVE:

Edit: have a look for tutorial videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvDPOmJS4aLG05TvpaFXNvA
Edit2: I play full manual wich means auto feint is off!!

Last edited:
Is anyone else finding that it seems like auto-feint is always on? I've been trying to do stepovers but have found that if I just do R2+right stick flick forward (or backwards) then often I'll do some kind of skill or stepover that should require a more complicated input. I definitely haven't got Auto-feint on. Maybe I've got a problem with my right stick!

@PRO_TOO You seem to have got your skills together - can you try this out and see if I'm losing my mind!

Last edited:
Im still undecided about shooting settings.
Online im sticking to manual, coz of people.

Offline - dont know..
Im not letting go of the new camera, which is pure joy to play. But due to this camera goals are further away (especially left side).
So on manual I dont really feel like I have much to say about the direction. Im basically trying to aim at the goal every time.
So every goal from distance is basically luck for me, as I cant really say if I was aiming at the left or right corner. Every time I do try to aim - im missing the goal.

Basic might become too easy and boring after a while, altho plus side is that basic seems to be most based on stats.

Advanced is great in theory, but from what I remember, on 19 you couldnt hammer the ball into top corner from close range, as most of the time you would miss.
Also - low corner shots were very OP.
Actually Advanced is the only one I didnt try on the demo, so might give it an evening and see how it is this year.

Offline - dont know..
Im not letting go of the new camera, which is pure joy to play. But due to this camera goals are further away (especially left side).
So on manual I dont really feel like I have much to say about the direction. Im basically trying to aim at the goal every time.
So every goal from distance is basically luck for me, as I cant really say if I was aiming at the left or right corner. Every time I do try to aim - im missing the goal.

Basic might become too easy and boring after a while, altho plus side is that basic seems to be most based on stats.

Advanced is great in theory, but from what I remember, on 19 you couldnt hammer the ball into top corner from close range, as most of the time you would miss.
Actually Advanced is the only one I didnt try on the demo, so might give it an evening and see how it is this year.
They've toned down advanced a LOT. You're right, low shots were very OP before.

Now you can't simply aim for the corner every time, plenty of players will put it wide so you have to aim slightly for the center. This is a great decision in my opinion.

This might sound stupid; but in a number of ways I find advanced more difficult and more rewarding than manual.

Last edited:

Offline - dont know..

Try using the penalty spot as a reference point. If you are left or right of it, adjust your aim in relation to that. Helped me a lot. And still is. :)

Scored my first goal on manual settings (pass and shoot)

Granted, it's not very special but it's so satisfying to end a good build up with a goal, plus I love to hammer a low cross into the box and you just have to tap it in, but on those settings you can still get it wrong.

Think I'll stick to basic for now as I prefer stats to have a greater impact but it's nice to know that manual is an option if basic gets boring some time during the year.

They've toned down advanced a LOT. You're right, low shots were very OP before.

Now you can't simply aim for the corner every time, plenty of players will put it wide so you have to aim slightly for the center. This is a great decision in my opinion.

This might some stupid; but in a number of ways I find advanced more difficult and more rewarding than manual.
Thanks, ill try it out. I always disagreed with people when they said advanced had only few points. I always felt that slight movements were sending ball closer to the centre. It was just easier in general to shoot on goal in previous games, so maybe thats where more polished Advanced comes from

@PRO_TOO i know what you're saying, but i still feel that aiming is so narrow with the smaller goals that its very difficult to place the ball from distance.
And bare in mind - its not like i cant score. Im scoring lots of goals. I just feel its a bit of a lottery where the shot will go.

If you asked me - did you aim there?
I cant really say i did.. unless its a Goal Of The Month Thread, then ABSOLUTELY I was aiming there! :LOL:

Thanks, ill try it out. I always disagreed with people when they said advanced had only few points. I always felt that slight movements were sending ball closer to the centre. It was just easier in general to shoot on goal in previous games, so maybe thats where more polished Advanced comes from

@PRO_TOO i know what you're saying, but i still feel that aiming is so narrow with the smaller goals that its very difficult to place the ball from distance.
And bare in mind - its not like i cant score. Im scoring lots of goals. I just feel its a bit of a lottery where the shot will go.

If you asked me - did you aim there?
I cant really say i did.. unless its a Goal Of The Month Thread, then ABSOLUTELY I was aiming there! :LOL:
:LOL: Got ya.
The aiming “window” is really small. That’s true.

I've never liked dribbling offline, always feels like the AI aren't duped by body language in that a mechanical series of moves tends to be more effective than organic, reactive movement. Was the case even with PES5.

Online i'm having plenty of success just using LS and bursts of R1 when the defender commits. Best improvement this year is being able to hold up the ball purely through body positioning. Thiago is great for this, just nudging LS in tiny increments away from the defender and he just bounces off them before accelerating away. Shot feints are also very effective again, but I'm finding even with lumpy defenders it's relatively easy to retain possession if you use sprint sparingly.

Game's lovely overall, the new physicality adds another dimension so you can really bully teams with players like Martinez and Sule with Bayern.

Only thing I was unsure on is passing - initially felt more 'on-the-rails' than PES 19. After a few games it felt more natural though, and im not seeing consistent 80%+ pass completion stats online which is encouraging. Through passes seem a bit freer, although still not sure how you execute those slightly little dinked ones I've seen.

Chuffed with this - I really liked PES 19 but this definitely feels a big step up once you get into it.

A few points? As in only a few points to aim for?
How could that be true when you have 360 degrees of a controller to aim with? :D

But yeah, give it a go, let me know how you get on. I'm really interested.

Manual shooting is actually a bit OP. I know FUMA- people will argue this but imo it's a bit unrealistic because all players can blast incredible shots with which ever foot they prefer. Personally I don't care what my opponent use when it comes to shooting online, just the passing...

A few points? As in only a few points to aim for?
How could that be true when you have 360 degrees of a controller to aim with? :D

But yeah, give it a go, let me know how you get on. I'm really interested.
Yeah, few aiming points.
I've seen few people saying that you can only aim at both corners (up and down) and middle (up and down). That basically gives you 6.
But I always felt that there was much more than 6 points, when you include slight movements of the left stick.

Now I also remembered another reason I gave Advanced Shooting up. Since I started using Advanced Through Balls, I needed aiming circle for it. But it was also switching Advanced Shooting aiming guides.
As much as I could tolerate Through Balls aiming guide (since I really needed it for practice), I couldnt stand Shooting guides.
Unfortunately both of them are one option and cant switch one of them off.
But recently I switched Through Balls aiming guide so it will be grand now.

I'll report back soon.

Ps. While I have you here - how do you switch Celebrations Menu off?? I cant find the option for it. Didnt want to record replays with it, like you asked.

Manual shooting is actually a bit OP. I know FUMA- people will argue this but imo it's a bit unrealistic because all players can blast incredible shots with which ever foot they prefer. Personally I don't care what my opponent use when it comes to shooting online, just the passing...
I'm really glad you've said this.
I've only recently started using Manual, you know, just to try it out, and while it most certainly isn't easy, I find that long shots are actually massively OP for the reason you've just said - every single player can hit a rocket with both feet. Manual seems to completely override players stats, which I never realised it did.

Now, I'm absolutely not saying this a bad thing, I guess it just comes down to how much of the game do you want to be determined by the players stats, or the skills of the man using the controller.

It sounds stupid, but I'd find a 30 yard thunderbolt into the top corner with Smalling much more impressive if scored using Basic over Manual.

Yeah, few aiming points.
I've seen few people saying that you can only aim at both corners (up and down) and middle (up and down). That basically gives you 6.
But I always felt that there was much more than 6 points, when you include slight movements of the left stick..

Well, considering if you aim directly left or right you'll aim for the centre of the goal, plus anywhere in between, that throws that theory straight in the bin :D

This was the case on 2019 too. I don't think I really used advanced before then so I couldn't say if it's always been like that.

Now I also remembered another reason I gave Advanced Shooting up. Since I started using Advanced Through Balls, I needed aiming circle for it. But it was also switching Advanced Shooting aiming guides.
As much as I could tolerate Through Balls aiming guide (since I really needed it for practice), I couldnt stand Shooting guides.
Unfortunately both of them are one option and cant switch one of them off.
But recently I switched Through Balls aiming guide so it will be grand now.
Hopefully, you shouldn't need an aiming guide for advanced shooting.
This is where your shots will always aim:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/e...n-thread-ps4-xbox.80426/page-235#post-3416392
I can totally understand why someone would use it for advanced through balls, but shooting follows the same guidelines at all times so it isn't like they'll go in some completely unpredictable direction or anything.

The back / select button on the controller to turn off the celebration menu. Can only turn it off during a celebration.
Set piece guide is turned off in the controller options

What Im liking about this PES is that the game is simply more Logical than any other PES released this gen in many instances thanks to better contextualization. The game Just seem to know the proper animation and movement the player has to make to execute the action.

I also like how the game seems Fair and open to different playing style. I have been playing more defensively and doing Fine against better trans online.

Also, playing online on manual can be wonderful, and Im giving a hard time to assisted players, hardly lose a match and Win some

Is anyone else finding that it seems like auto-feint is always on? I've been trying to do stepovers but have found that if I just do R2+right stick flick forward (or backwards) then often I'll do some kind of skill or stepover that should require a more complicated input. I definitely haven't got Auto-feint on. Maybe I've got a problem with my right stick!

@PRO_TOO You seem to have got your skills together - can you try this out and see if I'm losing my mind!
I haven’t tried playing with it on.
So far my player does what he needs to.
Maybe sometimes the input directions are a little bit off because of the new camera and angle, so another trick gets triggered. Not sure.

Edit: at the moment I’m just playing matches. This sure is a thing to be tested on the training ground.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom