eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try and play and control Messi like you would Pogba and you will not only waste his abilities but also fall short in many departments. Spin that coin over, and Pogba will equally struggle. Horses for courses.

Individuality has been the hallmark of PES forever. It has now just been ramped up over the years with all the player cards and individual traits to work alongside the stats.

I remember years ago with Babangida, give him the ball and he could ruin teams with his speed and score for fun. There is so much more now across every level individuality wise.

And you now get a greater sense of that from the feedback of the stick.As well as those beautifully realised on screen actions..The physicality system is integral to this..That leggy tall defender.The playmakers,your lower centre of gravity players that turn on a dime.

It’s all there for those willing to delve deep enough.Nothings black or white with this game.Its beautifully balanced and thought out imo..

There’s things and systems in this games we haven’t seen.Things I’m only now only starting to comprehend..

The physicality system is something genuinely tactile..It’s individuality taken to another level..

@Jimmy G-Force
You two lads must be living on another planet.

You think PES interepets Messi perfectly? Just go watch any one of the hundreds if not thousands of youtube videos. Doesn't matter if it's last season or 10 years ago - defenders kick him, try to shove him over, pull on his shirt, they cannot get it off him. Messi is so rarely on the ground from a fair tackle, and when he's at pace and they're behind him they have no chance. When Messi is running side by side to a defender, sometimes one of each side, they still cannot get the ball off him or get him on the floor without fouling him.

Yet on PES if you let any defender, no matter how average they are, get near you when you're sprinting - you lose it.

Skill wise, absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more. Actually controlling him is fantastic, and a brilliant representation.

Physically? NOTHING like him.

It might be one example but you stated any defender can win the ball from messi in this game!!..superstar(pa0).Against Man Utd.

Btw it’s how you use the stick(just saying).

@Jimmy G-Force
You two lads must be living on another planet.

You think PES interepets Messi perfectly? Just go watch any one of the hundreds if not thousands of youtube videos. Doesn't matter if it's last season or 10 years ago - defenders kick him, try to shove him over, pull on his shirt, they cannot get it off him. Messi is so rarely on the ground from a fair tackle, and when he's at pace and they're behind him they have no chance. When Messi is running side by side to a defender, sometimes one of each side, they still cannot get the ball off him or get him on the floor without fouling him.

Yet on PES if you let any defender, no matter how average they are, get near you when you're sprinting - you lose it.

Skill wise, absolutely, I couldn't agree with you more. Actually controlling him is fantastic, and a brilliant representation.

Physically? NOTHING like him.

Is he replicated perfectly ? No, I've never said he has, but there are alot of moments that are simply artistic licence as an end to a means.

In a 50/50 close quarter challenge with my defender against Messi I can win the ball fairly. Its when he opens his legs when in space, and shifts from sprint, to dribble, to body swerves then short speed bursts that are very difficult to deal with. He also has such close control a simple drop of the shoulder and he's gone.

I can manual pressure in tight spaces and win the ball and that is down to stronger physical defenders.

Can you explain exactly what your point is, because I apologise, but Im missing it ?

Many people don't know you can tackle with R2 in close quarters, unlike X it very rarely if ever concedes a foul. I call it a Finesse tackle.

Also, the L1 and shoot dink/chip shot has always been a favourite of mine, but holding R2 and then L1 and shoot produces a lovely high Finesse dink/chip. Great for one on ones and chips from acute angles. Love it.

And you now get a greater sense of that from the feedback of the stick.As well as those beautifully realised on screen actions..The physicality system is integral to this..That leggy tall defender.The playmakers,your lower centre of gravity players that turn on a dime.

It’s all there for those willing to delve deep enough.Nothings black or white with this game.Its beautifully balanced and thought out imo..

There’s things and systems in this games we haven’t seen.Things I’m only now only starting to comprehend..

The physicality system is something genuinely tactile..It’s individuality taken to another level..

Amen to that.

Last edited:
I'm new here and i am checking everyday this forum.

I like the enthousiasme and dedication from everybody regarding the PES series.

The Pes 2020 demo is fantastic and I can't wait till the 12th of september.

Welcome, its the best PES site ever. And I've just checked and its coming up to 17 years I've been here, boy how time flys..... eh Tom..?

I must be mad. Just spent 2.5hrs hammering same match over and over again.. finally got my head around first touch, practising new dribbling and manual shots. Few nice goals but nothing spectacular, so I wont bore you with replays.
Game seems a bit... faster? Faster might be wrong word, coz I still dont feel the need to go -1. But it feels different. Unless I got used to it already and better first touch is adding some dynamic to everything I do.
Still loving it. Physicality is on another level here.
As it stands I have one complaint, which is rather stupid one - I really wish I could kick the ball after final whistle.. it just felt like a therapy..

R2 isn't finesse dribble. You just hold R2 to take a better touch in whatever direction you choose.
The right stick is finesse dribble

Yes, thats what I mean. I still dont understand that mechanic. How do you drag the ball with right stick to one side and make step over to the oposite side with the same stick. I dont get it.

Yes, thats what I mean. I still dont understand that mechanic. How do you drag the ball with right stick to one side and make step over to the oposite side with the same stick. I dont get it.
Hi pal.
I find that the right stick is what R2 used to be. So instead of holding R2 and left stick movements, that whole mechanic is just the right stick on its own. When you hold down R2 and use the right stick, it’s the old right stick on its own dribbling mechanics: I’ve got used to it now, which scenario is best use what and it’s far more intuitive. I love it to be honest. You can receive a pass and use the right stick to maneuver into space or create space and then Right stick while holding R2 to feint or step over and burst into space.

My favorite team to use is Bayern in demo because Gnabry is just a beast because now with acceleration being added back to stats your first step is so important especially as a defender. Also on a note about the hold up play, I am really enjoying it.

Had a online match against Barca and Suarez was holding up Pavard as Messi was dribbling past one of my defenders in the final third and as soon slipped past him Suarez started a cutting run after posting up Pavard which made it an easy pass for a goal. The move was so beautiful by Suarez I have been wanting to see things like this in footy games for years.

Lewandowski, when facing away from the goal, tries to lift the ball over his head one too many times while receiving passes. Have you guys noticed that?

Try online.

Fair enough, but that don't really help us offline players who buy the game to play the CPU. I know loads of people don't enjoy online gaming and would like a football game where the CPU presents a credible challenge. Having attacking dribbling players take you on is a big part of this.

I'm not doubting his ability to perform like he can in real life, just that the CPU doesn't make him for whatever reason. If you're saying that he can when controlled by a human player then it's a issue with the game itself whether its the CPU not using his stats properly, or it being too passive at dribbling etc. The fact that Ronaldo (and other ball carriers) have been equally ineffective (in general, I mean that when these players get the ball there is no sense of increased danger) when I've played the CPU to me points to an issue.

Testing how the AI vs AI play. High def line, high compactness, frontline pressure, 4-3-3 for both team. Superstar. 12 mins
Nice, i have tried some stuff but i'm going to have to cool down and probably wait till the full game for real full fledged tactics, the passive AI i have found is an issue.

I like the overall changes to tactics this year, the AI really hold a tough shape when they switch to defensive mentality, issue is when they go down to defensive mentality their front players especially are over passive and allow far too much space for you to attack.

With the added time on PC you can really see its still only a demo, the looseness of the AI shows a lot more. The good new is i can get some basic setups going, since when the AI switch to attack mentality they are good and do pressure very well, creating a quite exciting and open game.

There is massive potential here but its still early.

Last edited:
Nice, i have tried some stuff but i'm going to have to cool down and probably wait till the full game for real full fledged tactics, the passive AI i have found is an issue.

I like the overall changes to tactics this year, the AI really hold a tough shape when they switch to defensive mentality, issue is when they go down to defensive mentality their front players especially are over passive and allow far too much space for you to attack.

With the added time on PC you can really see its still only a demo, the looseness of the AI shows a lot more. The good new is i can get some basic setups going, since when the AI switch to attack mentality they are good and do pressure very well, creating a quite exciting and open game.

There is massive potential here but its still early.
Agree completely

He is arguably the worlds best player, and if his international form was as good as his club form you could easily argue the greatest ever. He is also PES poster boy, how on earth, bearing in mind PES infamous focus on player individuality you can possiby say Messi is anything but a god in this game, then you're seriously missing something.

I play online and are forever getting destroyed by him. He is a fucking nightmare.

Messi IRL is isnt your 6 foot 2, 15 stone powerhouse, he is fragile compared to most, jeez irl Barca have worked on trying to strenghen his physical build since he was a kid.

But that is not his genetics, and its slight nimble frame and low centre of gravity, ridiculous feet, brain, speed of thought and deft movements that make Messi what he is, plus a special god gifted talent.

Use his strengths, which isnt physicality and he's your opponents worst nightmare.

Just as he should be...
that s not shown in the game unfortunately

Many people don't know you can tackle with R2 in close quarters, unlike X it very rarely if ever concedes a foul. I call it a Finesse tackle.

Also, the L1 and shoot dink/chip shot has always been a favourite of mine, but holding R2 and then L1 and shoot produces a lovely high Finesse dink/chip. Great for one on ones and chips from acute angles. Love it.
i ve never ever used that r2 for defensive reasons, lol, even since the beginning of this franchise

i ve never ever used that r2 for defensive reasons, lol, even since the beginning of this franchise

I am using it all the time in online games. My Barcelona and juventus loving opponents hate my river plate defenders not diving in then nicking the ball off them :)

I am using it all the time in online games. My Barcelona and juventus loving opponents hate my river plate defenders not diving in then nicking the ball off them :)
As much as I felt like R2 was sort of matter of preferences in previous games, in Pes20 i think its crucial. Its so difficult to stop finesse dribbling players if you dont jockey around. It gives your players more awareness (they are better at intercepting passes that go by them) and gives your tackles a boost.
Its very important in both - offline and online.

Is he replicated perfectly ? No, I've never said he has, but there are alot of moments that are simply artistic licence as an end to a means.

In a 50/50 close quarter challenge with my defender against Messi I can win the ball fairly. Its when he opens his legs when in space, and shifts from sprint, to dribble, to body swerves then short speed bursts that are very difficult to deal with. He also has such close control a simple drop of the shoulder and he's gone.

I can manual pressure in tight spaces and win the ball and that is down to stronger physical defenders.

Can you explain exactly what your point is, because I apologise, but Im missing it ?
No problem mate!

The point came from someone saying that Coutinho is not only a better AI player, but stronger when on the ball than Messi. Then someone said that (in some other alternate universe!) that Messi not strong in real life and yada yada yada it escalated from there :D

Personally, and going by previous posts in this thread it is a common opinion, Messi is a great representation of him technically, but his balance / strength is way off.

I’m not faulting the games mechanics, I’m just saying that when you’re sprinting; players like Dembele can run away from defenders, Ronaldo can hold them off, yet Messi seems to lose it. He seems to be stuck in the middle where he doesn’t have the pace to escape defenders, and doesn’t have the strength to hold them off. Again, this is specifically while sprinting. At walking pace he’s an absolute gem.

This is really difficult to explain.

The right stick works in a number of ways - you can hold it to move around, you can flick it to do neat little touches, and you can use it in combination with the left stick to do skills.

The only real way to learn is through trial and error, or watch a few YouTube videos to help if you think it’ll benefit you. It’s really difficult to explain verbally.

Me neither, not even for attacking reasons.
I don't know what the hell they are talking about.
R2 is now the right stick?? What?

Guess, I gotta check a few tutorials on YouTube.
In the older PES when pressing R2 it makes a jockey/steps containing defense animation. Although it did not use to work as it should be, but this is an other discussion . Didn't try R2 in pes2020 demo for defending to check how it works, to be honest.

I find myself using a lot of super cancel and R2 while defending. It's a good combination (at least on default button layout) because you can very quickly go from tracking the attacker with super cancel and then let go off R1 (still holding R2) when you try to steal the ball.

i could not live without R2 defending anymore. doing it for years now. i use more R2 than pressing X to get the ball! it's all about positioning (like in real life)! :) love it.

once you know how to use R2, RS and LS, SC and more...(in offense and defense) its all good! it was explained a 1000 times here and it aint so hard to understand.
the tutorial videos online do a good job of teaching that even better. go guys, go watch them. learn, practice, enjoy! :APPLAUD:

Countinho coming to Bayern! :D
question: when can i expect Phillipe to drop in my PES2020 Bayern team?

Love all the chat that Gabe and I sparked regarding Messi :D

If 2020 delivers, an online evo-web league has got to be on the cards.

(I've thought about it and I conclude : NOT MYCLUB!!! WAY TOO MANY ADDICTIVE AND MICRO-MANAGING ELEMENTS THAT WILL SWALLOW YOUR LIFE AWAY!)

From last night...
17ee76c0-f7b9-4017-bmgjfo.jpeg

...exactly like in PES!! Love it! :LOVE:

Guys why does it take a million years for the animation to make a pass in this game, i always end up losing possession because it is so slow to make a pass in this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom