eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I just cannot stop playing this demo, I think I need help! Every day it surprises me with something new & the more & more I play the more I can feel & see the possibilities of what you can create.

I want to stop playing before release but I just can't pull myself away from it. Feel like I've waited 14 years for this game, it's just giving me such old school feels. I pray they don't mess this up, please don't mess this up Konami.
Im similar. Altho Im spending most of the time online, as these 5mins matches are absolutely killing me.
Yesterday I decided to do a little tournament offline. Wanted to get 8 best teams into two groups and decided I will play home and away matches in each group. With one team, then the other.
But first I had to do some sort of play offs, as there are 13 teams.
So I paired teams up, top player, full manual.
First leg: 0-0
Second leg: 0-0
...shit...
Extra time? Penalties? Oh... not there... bollox... :LOL:

Im similar. Altho Im spending most of the time online, as these 5mins matches are absolutely killing me.
Yesterday I decided to do a little tournament offline. Wanted to get 8 best teams into two groups and decided I will play home and away matches in each group. With one team, then the other.
...shit...
I haven't played online yet & probably won't as it's not really my thing. I'm absolutely itching to play longer games though. At the moment I'm just hitting rematch with the same teams to quickly get back in the action.
I cannot stop playing Boca Vs River Plate, it's plays such a wonderful game of football with these two and I'm really impressed with the attacking A.i although certain aspects could definitely do with a tweak here & there. Such an improvement on the last few years though.

Last edited:
...shit...

jus out of interest can you matchmake easily with other mates online? would be great to small tourney/league amongst a few evo-webbers play out in the lead up to release.

something like 1 league, 4 teams, play each other once to keep it short and sweet.

I like this positivity at the moment and overall i think it's justified. I feel this is a classic PES slow-burner with the classic wonderful feel on the ball but also off the ball this year. It makes Pes 19 feel horrible in that aspect in comparison. ( And that game was pretty shit off the ball in and of itself)

If ML is good and konami don't cock up the gameplay (again) this looks like a winner to me.

jus out of interest can you matchmake easily with other mates? would be great to small tourney/league. amongst a few ev-webbers play out in the lead up to release. something like 1 league, 4 teams, play each other once to keep it short and sweet.
Thats a good question..
I wouldnt really know how it works.
Not really online guy myself, im spending my time in ML. Just this demo, due to its time offline, is pushing me online after few matches.

As far as I've seen on twitter - it was possible to create some sort of password protected "room" online. Thats what some people were using, when playing 10v10 matches.
Im also hoping for some simple online match against your friend on PSN once the full game comes out.
I need to start adding people from here.
Like yourself - I wouldnt mind some small tournament between us every now and again.

judging by the fifa gameplay I think PES could win a lot of people over this year, it's there for the taking and who would have thought that a few years back

judging by the fifa gameplay I think PES could win a lot of people over this year, it's there for the taking and who would have thought that a few years back
Interesting development indeed. I haven't followed the gameplay news on FIFA at all but was a bit disappointed with the career mode updates. Hopefully the gameplay remains solid there as well.

It's the little things I really love in this game. Simple things like passing the ball around are just so damn satisfying. The angles you can make are glorious. The way players strike the ball now, the back lift you see in their foot swinging motion with many different animation variants & outcomes. Having to set yourself now with correct body position & momentum is so important.

The beautiful cross field aerial balls that spin & arc mid air & the the way wingers wrap their foot around the ball for a cross.
The mis-controlled passes that can bounce off anywhere creating a massive opportunity of random outcomes from both the user & the A.i.
I've even noticed that when taking control of a pass, sometimes the ball will backspin if it's drilled in too hard, thus making it difficult to get out ones feet, brilliant!!

I love the way you can knock the ball on now in various different ways too. It jumps up in all manner of ways creating opportunities to jink away or strike a half volley.

Everything just has such lovely weight & purpose to it that you feel each movement in your fingertips.
There's so much subtle contextual stuff happening that doesn't require a myriad of button combos which is extremely pleasing on the eye & the hands!

The slower pace of the game brings a lovely sense of anticipation when creating a forward play or positioning defenders to stop an attack, you have time to think & plan ahead. I feel like I'm orchestrating my entire team sometimes when I get In the zone. This is how a football game should feel!

Last edited:
I haven't played online yet & probably won't as it's not really my thing. I'm absolutely itching to play longer games. At the moment I'm just hitting rematch with the same teams to quickly get back in the action.
I cannot stop playing Boca Vs River Plate, it's plays such a wonderful game of football with these two and I'm really impressed with the attacking A.i although certain aspects could definitely do with a tweak here & there. Such an improvement on the last few years though.

Same here, i can play Boca vs River all day long and always had a similar resistance to playing online, frankly just looking at the button in the menu gave me the shivers.

It still does a bit but after a few offline matches to warm up and when i am feeling mentally up for it i am now able again to confront myself with everything online throws at me. Most of the time fuma matches have been nothing but an enjoyable challenge. So thank god for 5 minute matches otherwise i dont think i gave it a go.

Putting myself out there with my Boca boys, struggling for every centimeter of grass and i just love to drive those top teams crazy by playing very compact and cool headed. I notice i am not focused on winning atm but more on learning and that mindset is really helpfull for me to avoid too much frustrations and tension. Give it a go, you wont be disappointed i think.

It's the little things I really love in this game. Simple things like passing the ball around are just so damn satisfying. The angles you can make are glorious. The way players strike the ball now, the back lift you see in their foot swinging motion with many different animation variants & outcomes. Having to set yourself now with correct body position & momentum is so important.

The beautiful cross field aerial balls that spin & arc mid air & the the way wingers wrap their foot around the ball for a cross.
The mis-controlled passes that can bounce off anywhere creating a massive opportunity of random outcomes from both the user & the A.i.
I've even noticed that when taking control of a pass sometimes the ball will backspin if it's drilled in too hard, thus making it difficult to get out ones feet, brilliant!!

I love the way you can knock the ball on now in various different ways too. It jumps up in all manner of ways creating opportunities to jink away or strike a half volley.

Everything just has such lovely weight & purpose to it that you feel each movement in your fingertips.
There's so much subtle contextual stuff happening that doesn't require a myriad of button combos which is extremely pleasing on the eye & the hands!

The slower pace of the game brings a lovely sense of anticipation when creating a forward play or positioning defenders to stop an attack, you have time to think & plan ahead. I feel like I'm orchestrating my entire team sometimes

Articulated exactly how I feel..and the great elements of this demo..Thumbs up!

Can someone please explain to me how to keep a strong shot low on advanced shooting? Let’s say, I am going left to right and want to shoot it low in the left corner with some power. What do you press/hold how long and where do you point the stick at?

Currently, all my shoots balloon up, even short taps.

Dear Jebus this game is fantastic on manual! Had some truly amazing matches this evening online, such a joy. Come you guys who avoid online, go manual this year and the scene will grow bigger! ;)

Funny enough I enjoy PA1 as well so I can see myself switching between the two online this year. If they don't fuck up all of this of course...

Just tonight, I had 2 lovely situations.

One saw Benedetto (I play Boca most of the time) lobbing the ball over the keeper, that came rushing out, who got a hand on the ball. The ball then started spinning towards the goal line. A defender who was running for the ball couldn’t get it when the ball touched ground and accelerated into the goal. What a lovely scene of physics!! I love those. :D

The second situation had AI controlled CR7 fooled by the ball physics. :) High ball from the keeper. CR7 touches the ball with the foot to let it drop down. His first touch isn’t perfect so the ball bounces of his foot a little to far. He corrects his movement to follow the ball. The ball hits the ground and the spin makes it travel another direction. CR7 is running the wrong way. Beautiful scene!! :D

Can someone please explain to me how to keep a strong shot low on advanced shooting? Let’s say, I am going left to right and want to shoot it low in the left corner with some power. What do you press/hold how long and where do you point the stick at?

You basically have to aim towards your own goal.
I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'll try to explain it:

So as you said, let's say you're shooting from left to right:

iconfinder_arrow-down-right_2561328.png aims for the top right corner
iconfinder_arrow-up-right_3325056.png aims for the top left corner
iconfinder_arrow-up-left_2561332.png aims for the bottom left corner
iconfinder_arrow-down-left_2561327.png aims for the bottom right corner

Basically, power doesn't dictate what corner you're aiming for. At all. So, if you have an open goal, and you aim iconfinder_arrow-up-right_3325056.png you have every chance to put it over because even though you've tapped the button you're still aiming for that top corner.

To make your life much easier you MUST learn to press shoot before you aim. Let's say you want your striker to hit a first time shot into the bottom corner, if you press iconfinder_arrow-down-left_2561327.png first, then shoot, your player is just going to do the first command you pressed, which is to turn around and face away from goal; which is INCREDIBLY frustrating! You may pick this part up really easily, but that was the main thing I had to get around. Once you've sussed it though you can do things like powerful placed shots into the bottom corner, which cannot even be attempted on Basic. You can also do really cool looking low arched chips because you can aim chip shots specifically for the bottom corner.

In terms of power, you can basically hit it full power with everyone if you want to. You know how when you hit a short pass with full power the ball will rise up if they aren't that great at passing? Well advanced shooting works in the same manner; so if you were to use Chris Smalling to hit a full powered shot into the bottom corner, chances are it'll rise up and aim for the top corner naturally (well, more likely it'll spoon off towards the corner flag, but you get my point).

I'd recommend playing a game on the easiest setting and just get lots and lots of different shots in to sort the muscle memory out.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
View attachment 18457 aims for the top right corner
View attachment 18458 aims for the top left corner
View attachment 18459 aims for the bottom left corner
View attachment 18460 aims for the bottom right corner

That’s seriously fucked up!

So when I go from right to left everything is flipped? Who comes up with this stuff?

Seriously, though, thank you for taking the time explaining. I have the feeling the game plays differently on advanced shooting - better - but I need to figure out the controls.

Edit: Works! You’re the man!

That’s seriously fucked up!

So when I go from right to left everything is flipped? Who comes up with this stuff?

Seriously, though, thank you for taking the time explaining. I have the feeling the game plays differently on advanced shooting - better - but I need to figure out the controls.

Edit: Works! You’re the man!
Any time!
Honestly, it seems really stupid at first, but after a while, I was like "why haven't football games always been like this!?".

Advanced shooting was really overpowered in 2019, they never seemed to miss the target, now though if the player isn't a beast of a striker you have to aim a little more centrally and it's much better for it.

Wait till that crucial chance comes but in that split second you completely forget you're on advanced and miss horribly :LOL: I did that constantly for so long.

Played online two games tonight. Well against one so called "pressure whore" and one so called "lag cheater". Bright online future.
Isn't that just called 'the internet' :D

Really hope Ps5 won't be so noisy.
have you tried vacuuming out your PS4, dust will cause more heat, and faster fan speed. I clean mine about 2 times a year. I find plenty of dust in it. Maybe the PS4 pro being packed so tight in that case is why though. Hope PS5 is better. My custom built PC is super quiet with 200mm fans, it never gets hot either, bigger fans are better.

Yeah same here.

A little off-topic but has anyone ever tried commenting on how loud the Pro is over at the PS4 sub reddit? Hoardes of fanboys jump on anyone who says it with "Well your Pro must be faulty mine is whisper quiet!".

I've owned two different PS4 Pros now. BOTH have been very VERY noisy when playing any game in 4K.
well 4k thing is interesting, it's only loud in 4k? Strange indeed.

Last edited:
have you tried vacuuming out your PS4, dust will cause more heat, and faster fan speed. I clean mine about 2 times a year. I find plenty of dust in it. Maybe the PS4 pro being packed so tight in that case is why though. Hope PS5 is better. My custom built PC is super quiet with 200mm fans, it never gets hot either, bigger fans are better.

My ps4pro is also noisy on pes 2019 and 2020. And I am not using any 4K setting at all. I have a simple 1080p TV.

Any time!
Honestly, it seems really stupid at first, but after a while, I was like "why haven't football games always been like this!?".

Advanced shooting was really overpowered in 2019, they never seemed to miss the target, now though if the player isn't a beast of a striker you have to aim a little more centrally and it's much better for it.

Wait till that crucial chance comes but in that split second you completely forget you're on advanced and miss horribly :LOL: I did that constantly for so long.

So far I mostly played basic shooting and there (at least that's what I've read and experienced) you have to picture facing the goal (rather than it being perpendicular to your player). So again, going from left to right, pointing the stick bottom left will actually shoot bottom left while on advanced it'll go bottom right. Then again it's assisted to a level that it doesn't require overly precise input.

Vacuuming and electronics are a bad idea,may cause static and that's your system fried up.
Use compressed air instead.

Vacuuming and electronics are a bad idea,may cause static and that's your system fried up.
Use compressed air instead.
Yes. If you can open it up, use compressed air to blow everything out, that would help. Also, if you're tech savvy or courageous enough, you can clean the existent (more non-existent) thermal paste and add new thermal paste.

Yeah same here.

A little off-topic but has anyone ever tried commenting on how loud the Pro is over at the PS4 sub reddit? Hoardes of fanboys jump on anyone who says it with "Well your Pro must be faulty mine is whisper quiet!".

I've owned two different PS4 Pros now. BOTH have been very VERY noisy when playing any game in 4K.
Yes mine's noisy too. The one's that are said to not be noisy, or less quiet are the later 7200 versions I think, like the Spiderman edition.

Annoyed they still haven't put in a proper semi-assisted passing option (pes13 pa1 was perfect). Because of this, since the move to fox engine, I play on manual. But I do think the best experience pes could offer is a passing option smack bang in the middle of pa0 and pa1.

I haven't had much fun playing on pa1 in the demo as I can't replicate my style from manual in any way. Matches just play out too end2end arcadey and very rigid. Although I do appreciate the miss placed passing mechanic this year. Hopefully that will help tone down pingpong online.
Crazy that fifa's full assisted is still less assisted than pes' pa 1.

There's defo been some minor improvements to manual passing overall this year which is nice. Im still struggling with thruballs, or generally playing passes in behind. Passes aren't auto intercepted when threading thruballs into space between defenders which is great news compared to last year.
But there seems to be an issue with attacking AI locking onto manual through ball passes. As in, they don't know it's a 'through ball'. They either trap it to feet if the ball is in reach, or they run towards it then stutter as it passes them, then continue after it. By that time the defender has past them to get there first. Makes counter attacking pretty redundant.
I don't use high thruballs, or manual lob passes in behind much as there always under hit, or miles long.

Have any manual players on here had much luck playing strikers in behind (especially down the centre)?

Interesting development indeed. I haven't followed the gameplay news on FIFA at all but was a bit disappointed with the career mode updates. Hopefully the gameplay remains solid there as well.

Already happening lol. A few of us started building a manual group for America continental release (since in the version, the servers are in Brazil/Argentina/America, it's segregated, if u have EU version you'll never find anyone from America version)

But anyway, we had about 21 members 2 weeks ago. Today we have 80. All full manual players. The growth is explosive.

And most of these guys are from FIFA manual.

There's like 600+ messages everyday in our chat group in Portuguese and Spanish, saying how much more of a football game PES is. That's from their experience of playing full manual in FIFA for years. So I'll take their word for it.

And we also got some big name YouTubers trying manual PES and actually liking it a lot. So things are going to pick up soon I hope.

Sometimes i read on reddit wepes section what people think and there are more and more ex Fifa fans coming to Pes or wanting to come to Pes complaining about responsiveness. I am terrified by their feedback.

Just one example

They want lightning quick gameplay, but they don't understand that players take their decisions on the fly but to put that in practice takes time, that's the time the body needs to react to the brain stimulus. That's exactly what Pes does. You can decide to pass the moment you give the players input but sometimes they will react half second later because they need to physically adapt to the input you gave them.

Obviously there is the usual exaggeration (several seconds for players to react? What?) to try and make their own point.

Unfortunately i already know where this is going and how this will affect the final code.

I would like to show people complaining about players "taking ages" to control the ball thiis match between two of of the most skilled teams filled with top players

People should just look (even by watching the very first minutes) at how many times even the most technical player in this match takes seconds to control the ball. Pes is realistic, don't like that? Go play Fifa. Not meant to feel as an offense or fanboy intent, it's just the truth. If you like your game to be more arcade football and less realistic, you can play with that, arcade is fun. There is no shame into admitting you want to play an arcade game, just don't try to find issues where there aren't.

Last edited:
Sometimes i read on reddit wepes section what people think and there are more and more ex Fifa fans coming to Pes or wanting to come to Pes complaining about responsiveness. I am terrified by their feedback.

Just one example

They want lightning quick gameplay, but they don't understand that players take their decisions on the fly but to put that in practice takes time, that's the time the body needs to react to the brain stimulus. That's exactly what Pes does. You can decide to pass the moment you give the players input but sometimes they will react half second later because they need to physically adapt to the input you gave them.

Obviously there is the usual exaggeration (several seconds for players to react? What?) to try and make their own point.

Unfortunately i already know where this is going and how this will affect the final code.

I would like to show people complaining about players "taking ages" to control the ball thiis match between two of of the most skilled teams filled with top players

People should just look (even by watching the very first minutes) at how many times even the most technical player in this match takes seconds to control the ball. Pes is realistic, don't like that? Go play Fifa. Not meant to feel as an offense or fanboy intent, it's just the truth. If you like your game to be more arcade football and less realistic, you can play with that, arcade is fun. There is no shame into admitting you want to play an arcade game, just don't try to find issues where there aren't.

On top this is one of the most fastest PES game to be fair :D
I love these "i want to like PES because its so different to FIFA but i dont like it because its not FIFA" FIFA player comments. I mean duh.

So, I am assuming there is a benefit/exploit that makes this worthwhile to start a game like this. I messaged the guy who used this formation and he said it switches via fluid formation but this is at kick off. What I would like to know is what benefit this offers other than not letting your opponent see your formation? Because let's face it, that's not enough for that sort of player, there must be an advantage to be had?

They really should implement the myclub formation thing in online divisions, but obviously not tied to a manager. Use whatever 3 formations you want from predefined ones and you can adjust them slightly ala myclub but no crappy exploit ones.
Apologies if this has been mentioned, haven't had a chance to scroll through everything. But the easy way to see what his actual offensive formation is this: choose manual man marking setting, select one of your own, and then you'll see their exact lineup for the offensive phase of play.

So it doesn't just look stupid, it's ineffective as well.

Just one example

It's this sort of mindset & feedback I'm scared of & I'm sick of reading stuff like that.
One of the best things about the game is the weight, inertia and movement of the players. It's not poor reaction times, it's totally by design and is something to be learned & accepted because the game is better for it.

The only response times that need speeding up a tad are the Player reactions to loose balls, both user & A.i.
This total obsession with instantaneous response times & lighting quick player movements are what fuels the ping pong, end to end, brain dead nature of recent football games and leads to animation skipping, overly assisted passing etc.

A super responsive game does not always equal a very good one. He wants to switch to PES but wants it to be more like FIFA..:SHAKE:

Last edited:
On top this is one of the most fastest PES game to be fair :D

Are you serious Gabe Paul Logan? :BLINK:

Play a game in the easiest difficulty, then get near the box and start firing shots away.
Hold the left stick back in the opposite direction to which you're going to shoot to hit low balls, of course body positioning will also affect how low, how curled, how much spin the shot is going to have.
Then do the same, but while holding the left stick forward in the same direction to which you're going to shoot and notice the difference.

DO that through out the entire match, even if it seems silly or boring. After that go play a real game and you'll feel much comfortable although it takes months to do it subconsciously or without being too self-aware or second guessing yourself when push comes to shove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom