eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Make that 3 penalties I’ve received thus far. I think the key is to “look” for it lol. Players with quick feet like Douglas Costa. I like to dribble with him in between defenders and make use of the new dribbling. The COMP will stick a foot out every now and then.

Few cracks appearing for me:

- Shielding the ball: the shit is MASSIVELY over powered. All online seems to be is players turning their back on you with the ball and pirouetting away because if you have the ball you easily shield the defender.

- Player switching responsiveness: honestly this is really, really poor. Players will literally ignore the ball as it slowly moves right past them.

- Agility: Turning from some players who should feel agile is too sluggish. There's no sharpness to changing direction.

Turned on the demo for a couple of games last night. Had a nice little 1-1 with a bit of variety. Nothing mind blowing but definitely feels good to play. Here's the match highlights:

- Shielding the ball: the shit is MASSIVELY over powered. All online seems to be is players turning their back on you with the ball and pirouetting away because if you have the ball you easily shield the defender.

- Player switching responsiveness: honestly this is really, really poor. Players will literally ignore the ball as it slowly moves right past them.

- Agility: Turning from some players who should feel agile is too sluggish. There's no sharpness to changing direction.

The first two are my biggest issues, if they aren't fixed in the final version I will pass on this game.

Agility: Turning from some players who should feel agile is too sluggish. There's no sharpness to changing direction.
Who are you talking about? Maybe it's to do with their stats, height and weight? Did you check that out?

i have to say, the feel on the ball, is never recreated in any other game, it is such a joy to pass the ball around, im liking this demo even more when i play more vs other humans... 1v1 the game is such a joy to play tbh
important thing: set grass to long and pitch to dry, amazing

I kind of agree about your first point but for me it has been toughest against Lukaku and Ronaldo for example so I hope it's a stat- based thing. Out on the pitch I find I can use super- cancel and get around your opponent when they try to shield to much.

About 100 games or so, still no pen and I have been on the receiving end of many tackles in the box.
The game is close to perfection for me, one thing that bothers is keepers take ages to kick it, no way to play a fast counter when the goalie catches the ball.

Another day, another demo impressions.

I sat down and considered the past, present and future. I decided to go Manual again, since it worked so well in PES 15 and 16, making them actually kinda fun. Problem with PA1 for me is that, being the lazy ass I am, I quickly turn into a spamming machine. Exchanging quick, short passes, and getting nowhere most of the time. A game of football becomes a heated table tennis match.

PA0, Manual shooting, Regular - since I gotta get used to all that crap again.

I have a big problem with manual shooting. I swear goddamn I swear my aiming was on point so many times to at least hit the goal, but more often than not it's a near miss. Goddamn! This is precisely what I hate about basic, those oh you were so close sorry hun 10 cm misses. Please tell me it's not the same on Manual this year, please! I am yet to bomb in a longshot, and that's quite a long stretch (heh) since we talking 20-25 meters of distance. Please!

Manual passing is out of this planet. I instantly slowed down and took my time with every single move. Suddenly, a neat game turns into excellent one. I noticed something cool today. Instead of just L1-X'ing my way towards goal and trying to get there asap, it's so nice to just stop for moment, let your mates make a run or two, and go with the flow. Can't believe I've noticed this for the first time! I just stop, and see what happens. Whoever makes a cool move gets the ball. It's like anti-playmaking, instead of central No. 10 to orchestrate all the moves, it's this organized chaos where anybody can move the ball forward. Kinda silly, but it gave me a new outlook on the game as a whole.

There are issues with player awareness however when you do PA0. Not as bad as PES 2015 (I used to exploit it to my advantage, horribly so), but it's a little bit cringy at times when people walk past the ball. Not getting my hopes up, it won't get fixed. Thankfully it's not as horrible as older games.

I was thinking about fouls, there are annoying indeed! All because of that eFootball logo thing, if you could skip it and play on instantly, I bet most people would not even mind fouls. And speaking of fouls, scored two free kicks today, easy indeed!

I am a bit scared about offensive capabilities of AI. Regardless of difficulty I concede a goal maybe every fifth game. Could be down to 5 minute games though.

It's time for the shoutouts. Big shoutout to my homie Pratto of RIver Plate, banged in some good manual goals today. A big man, full of strength and vitality, reminds me of all my great PES 5/6 attackers. Also, am I the only person who's noticed a guy named Yago PIkachu in Vasco da Gama? Don't get me wrong I do appreciate Pokemon (grew up during its heyday) but fucks sake! :D :D

From now on its PA0 training until release. Also dribbling training, if only I knew how to train, what to do to dribble even! :D Still, fockin 'ell man this is the actual good PES game, fingers crossed coonami bois won't needlessly ruin it!
I’m so glad for you, mate!! :)

Beautiful and true description! Really guys, when it’s about opinion and fact... this is a fact I must say!
(based on my opinion)! ;)
Na really.... this is true.

Give it a try. We are all humans and we tend to fall for that button mashing behavior. Set it to manual and give yourself some time. Time with the inputs, time with the game, time with football!! :)

You football loving nut, you deserve so!! ;)

But there you have it. The infamous knock-on.
Hallelujah! I feared they removed it which would've propelled me into D2 removal level rage if there really, really wasn't a way and the truth was ugly.

These video's are a bit of a mind fuck for me as ever since PES 6 on the 360, I've switched the top shoulder buttons for triggers. L2 is change player and R2 is sprint for me. So it's for me to forget that the default is still PS2 controls and that i'm in the minority that have them switched. I always have to re-orientate my mind when reading about a skill or watching a tutorial.

I was thinking about fouls, there are annoying indeed! All because of that eFootball logo thing, if you could skip it and play on instantly, I bet most people would not even mind fouls. And speaking of fouls, scored two free kicks today, easy indeed!
This is one of the major issues, That eFootball screen wipe is just totally obnoxious. I feel like if there's one thing above all else that Konami do struggle with, It's Quality of Life improvements with things like menus, settings and choice.

I wish they would let us disable the wipes and replays for innocuous fouls & show bookings only or something.

Both video’s are superstar.

Nah..I’m not blind..Nor do i peddle in hyperbole..

I’ve seen the A.I. be passive(which is related to setup and tactics)..But I don’t believe the A.I. is flawed or broken..Two examples of me moving at a slow speed and yet the cpu still challenges for the ball..Even pulling at me around the 18 yard box.Notice how the second defender(6 yard box)mops up and does a decisive clearance.He was hardly passive and he clearly saw the danger.The player on me even tryed to win the ball and missed.(top video).

Notice also how the ref doesn’t blow at any point when contact is made with my player.Another thing folk have claimed everytime contact is made...and how the ref is card/whistle happy.

That is you vs the CPU, I did say to watch CPU vs CPU. The AI responds better to you when you play but its still over passive, the CPU vs CPU is a perfect example to illustrate the fundamental problem.

I honestly don't see any input lag on Ps4 and i'm extremely sensible to it. On Pc it's another situation and i had to use rivatuner to cap the framerate otherwise it was noticeably sluggish.

I test input lag this way: just make a player stand completely still in your own penalty area then give a direction input. If i think the time it needs to show the input ingame is slow then i call it an input delay, otherwise in other situations it seems your input is not immediately shown ingame because the player just can't immediately react since animations are completing their cycle or because ball is not close enough for the player to react in a split second. There is a difference between input delay and animations input lag.

Having said that, yeah, Pes 2020 demo compared to Pes 2019 has more of this "lag" because it has smoother animations. But this is also a demo and i think they will probably tweak it for release and make animations less smooth but players more responsive to input. Some will find it better, some won't like it claiming they made the game more responsive to please casuals. It's a very delicate balance between responsiveness and smoothness.

I think that this demo has it right offline, but online it can slown down responsiveness because of network lag that Pes has always had. That half second lag that adds to the offline "lag" will be frustrating for people. That's why i'm almost sure that the final game will be more reactive and also less weighty.

I'm no developer and i can only imagine how difficult it can be to make a gameplay so balanced that it works both offline and online without frustrating people. If Pes was only offline probably Konami would leave the game as it is right now, but since there are many more online people that will rightly complain they are forced to speed up the game to improve responsiveness.

They should definitely fix once and for all network lag because of p2p connection. If they really want a fair esport game they have to do that. It's much more expensive to use dedicated servers but those are the only solution i see to have the game play online like offline without sacrificing the weighty feeling that is so good in this demo.

Last edited:
This game can be sublime online on manual, it's a damn shame it usually takes so long to find matches with that filter on PC... If I knew I could just jump on any time of day and get a match within a few minutes, I'd probably pre-order.

Enjoyed this last match which ended 1-0, here's the goal and an earlier chance which I wish had gone in!

The first pass of the video was an L1+Circle "early cross" as I mentioned yesterday :).

Nice first goal.. looked really good.. thanks for sharing.. what camera setting are you using there??

hi guys,here are some goals i saved if anyone wants to see,i love the GK reaction in the last one

Interesting to see at 0:45 sec mark, that instead of blasting the ball into the goals as a celebration, you simply tapped it low... haven't seen that before.. never knew you could do it.. did you simply press X towards goal right after you celebration began and as you approached the ball????

Really hope Ps5 won't be so noisy.
Yeah same here.

A little off-topic but has anyone ever tried commenting on how loud the Pro is over at the PS4 sub reddit? Hoardes of fanboys jump on anyone who says it with "Well your Pro must be faulty mine is whisper quiet!".

I've owned two different PS4 Pros now. BOTH have been very VERY noisy when playing any game in 4K.

i have to say, the feel on the ball, is never recreated in any other game, it is such a joy to pass the ball around, im liking this demo even more when i play more vs other humans... 1v1 the game is such a joy to play tbh
important thing: set grass to long and pitch to dry, amazing
No offence to you good sir but what team plays with long grass and a dry pitch in modern football? Even the English League Two sides play on beautiful pitches these days.

I actually wish Konami would remove this 'feature', it's unrealistic.

No offence to you good sir but what team plays with long grass and a dry pitch in modern football? Even the English League Two sides play on beautiful pitches these days.

In Spain some teams use long grass and dry pitch in their matches against Barcelona, it's easier to defend the tiki taka since the ball runs slower. This is also used in some south american leagues.

Yeah same here.

A little off-topic but has anyone ever tried commenting on how loud the Pro is over at the PS4 sub reddit? Hoardes of fanboys jump on anyone who says it with "Well your Pro must be faulty mine is whisper quiet!".

I've owned two different PS4 Pros now. BOTH have been very VERY noisy when playing any game in 4K.

There is a video comparison on youtube that shows PS4Pro is still very noisy with some games, even if not quite as noisy as the original Ps4.

Noise level from highest to lowest is PS4>Ps4Pro>Ps4Slim

Yeah same here.

Same. The current one is an absolute nightmare, I think it's louder than the first. I've read guides on replacing the thermal paste on Reddit but I really, really don't want to break it.

That being said, I'm at the end of my tether, now. It's practically a cliché at this point but I literally can still hear the noise with headphones on.

I don't see it so literally - it allows you to alter the pace and the ball physics. I'd rather it just said "ball speed" and "ball bounce". I see them as "PES's only sliders" rather than anything else. Helps tweak the gameplay depending on your tastes, although I've got to admit I've not felt the difference for a while (not that I've experimented with it often in the 2020 demo).

Hallelujah! I feared they removed it which would've propelled me into D2 removal level rage if there really, really wasn't a way and the truth was ugly.

I'm close to that level of rage. Essentially, they have removed it - sadly, what's shown in the vids isn't the short knock-on that we've had for years. It looks like a work around and the sort of thing that won't be as versatile or consistent as it has been. With the existing controls you can do the knock-on in any direction and the ball goes a bit further away.

I'm sorry if I'm being a misery about this and I will get over it but having tried these new controls I can't be happy about it.

hi guys,here are some goals i saved if anyone wants to see,i love the GK reaction in the last one
i just can t play on the original pes 2019 camera, because it will feel like it s pes 2019, and the camera moves so fast it just doesn t feel right for the passing speed, it makes the passes so so fast..

There is a video comparison on youtube that shows PS4Pro is still very noisy with some games, even if not quite as noisy as the original Ps4.

Noise level from highest to lowest is PS4>Ps4Pro>Ps4Slim
I have the original ps4. It's been like 4-5 years now? Yes, it's loud. But just last month, i cleaned the insides of it. The fan, the heat sink, applied a new thermal paste. Now it runs like it's brand new.

Anybody played with a controller that doesn't have analogue triggers or one that lets you disable them?

I use an xbox elite controller on PC and I normally have dash on the right trigger (R2) and special controls on the left trigger (L2). After disabling the analogue triggers and instead making it straight on/off the game feels more responsive for me. Worth a shot if anybody has the means to test it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom