eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any news on how they intend or not to improve keepers releasing/kicking the ball faster ? They take so long to get up from the ground too even when you're a goal down in the 89th minute they lay there wasting time in no hurry to get it forward.

Same here brethren.
I got so used to that when I got my XBOX 360 and started playing and becoming a fan of FIFA 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 then sold it, bought a PS4 and played FIFA 13, 14, 15, 16.... I just couldn't go back to the WE days on PSX and PS2 afterwards anymore.
I just thought it was logical that triggers would be appropriate for sprinting and player switching - It was the natural evolution of the staple of controls. Triggers for acceleration racers, shooting in FPS's and sprinting in footy.

EA was ahead of the curve on that trend. Conversely though, I always used the PES convention of :square: to shoot & :circle: to cross on FIFA, even when they introduced the alternative controls on FIFA 06 on PS2, I was thankful.

Once FIFA indoctrinated everybody to have :circle: for shooting on the last gen, I would always get treated like i wore underwear on my head when i had to swap my buttons around before a match with mates when they would just casually jump straight into it. I was Buzz Killington in the FIFA lounge.

Same here brethren.
I got so used to that when I got my XBOX 360 and started playing and becoming a fan of FIFA 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 then sold it, bought a PS4 and played FIFA 13, 14, 15, 16.... I just couldn't go back to the WE days on PSX and PS2 afterwards anymore.
L2 Player Switch,R2 sprint,probably since PES 5 for me,on all football games since then I guess

Any news on how they intend or not to improve keepers releasing/kicking the ball faster ? They take so long to get up from the ground too even when you're a goal down in the 89th minute they lay there wasting time in no hurry to get it forward.
They need to improve their kick accuracy as well especially CPU keepers.

Also I don't know if it's a bug but it was on 19 as well at goal kicks if you don't super cancel around there CF you get pinned behind him and can't header or anything

The knock on with the right stick on FIFA is great,but if you don't knock it at precisely 3 o clock (going fw) you're over the line,happens quite often (at least to me)
But it's really something I'd take from fifa over to Pes in a heartbeat

Yes, as always, implementation lacks behind concept. It's quite finicky and prone to dispossess you (or go over the line, as you said), especially when going fast, but Konami would probably do a better job of it, given their expertise in ball physics. And now, with close control on RS, it would even make more sense. As a matter of fact, I always do it subconsciously in PES and get disappointed that it doesn't do anything (or not what I expected).

Few cracks appearing for me:

- Shielding the ball: the shit is MASSIVELY over powered. All online seems to be is players turning their back on you with the ball and pirouetting away because if you have the ball you easily shield the defender.

This is a big issue for me even when it comes to the AI. The body/close control of AI attackers is absolutely OP'ed. Their timing in sticking out their behind and then dribble around you with this hunchback-style animation is always perfect. Worst, it doesn't make a difference if it's Lukaku or Griezman you are up against. The latter repeatedly keeping Süle away with his scrawny butt... I don't know.

I know we were asking for AI dribblings after there weren't any in 2019, but this is swinging the pendulum to the other extreme again.

L2 for player switching, what kind of heresy is this! :DD

R2 sprint
L2 special controls

This makes Super Cancel R2 + L2 instead of the awkward R1/R2 default.
R1+R2 is “one button” for me. It feels nicer than L2+R2 to me because the buttons are wider apart.

I have it all on default except shooting and crossing swapped. I had shooting on circle like... forever!

As there is no analog sprint I see no use in having a longer way when using the L2/R2 bumpers for sprint.

I just thought it was logical that triggers would be appropriate for sprinting and player switching - It was the natural evolution of the staple of controls. Triggers for acceleration racers, shooting in FPS's and sprinting in footy.

EA was ahead of the curve on that trend. Conversely though, I always used the PES convention of :square: to shoot & :circle: to cross on FIFA, even when they introduced the alternative controls on FIFA 06 on PS2, I was thankful.

Once FIFA indoctrinated everybody to have :circle: for shooting on the last gen, I would always get treated like i wore underwear on my head when i had to swap my buttons around before a match with mates when they would just casually jump straight into it. I was Buzz Killington in the FIFA lounge.

I always thought it would be cool, if they came up with an - optional - whole new control layout. One which allowed me to select the leg to perform a pass, cross, or shot with. L2 = left leg, R2 right leg. Default is passing, x as shot modifier, o as cross modifier. Haven't thought this entirely through yet (not that it's likely to happen anyway) but would be interesting.

the small things really make this game great and so fluid - the right stick drag the ball is so nice to see , drag it one way and the next and then double tap sprint in direction, you can leave players for dead.

The only thing i cant make my mind up is manual shooting or advanced, i am happy with manual pass but i really like what control you have over advanced shooting

I just hope that some of the obvious kinks are ironed out by the full release, because if so then we have the best football game of all time on our hands. Between now and then I just want some MyClub news.

Oh, and next year they need to give us a stadium creator and scoreboard creator etc. Give us full control over making the game appear completely licensed.

I always thought it would be cool, if they came up with an - optional - whole new control layout. One which allowed me to select the leg to perform a pass, cross, or shot with. L2 = left leg, R2 right leg. Default is passing, x as shot modifier, o as cross modifier. Haven't thought this entirely through yet (not that it's likely to happen anyway) but would be interesting.
Haha i always used to conceptualize something like that in my head when i was younger as well. There was a game, Can't remember which where i would get so frustrated with players strictly never using there weaker foot even as a last resort and it would just bugger up the entire action. Might have been one of the FIFA's. So i used to think it would be cool if there was some sort of "weak foot" modifier but logistically, what button could you map it to without sacrificing a command somewhere or without convoluting the controls further?

Fact is you can't and it's just better to refine the weak foot algorithm so that the user is better satisfied that when the player uses the weak foot it makes sense.

Thank god they don't make kids design games though given the history of this series, sometimes i wonder if they really do... :LMAO:

There was a game, Can't remember which where i would get so frustrated with players strictly never using there weaker foot even as a last resort and it would just bugger up the entire action. Might have been one of the FIFA's.

ISS Pro on the PS1 was like that for sure. The players would kick the ball at the most ridiculous angles with the 'wrong' foot in order to not use the weaker foot. It made for some funny replays on goals though

Slightly OT as it's more about the full game than the demo, but I was wondering if any of posters on here participate in some kind of online leagues/tournaments (FUMA only obvs) once the full game comes out?

The reason being that I don't usually play PES or FIFA online and tend to play ML only. But this year I have enjoyed my FUMA online games on the demo so much that I would actually like to give online a real go for once.

I would rather avoid the PA1/2/3 guys though if possible as that takes away from the enjoyment somewhat when you're misplacing passes and they're pinging it around like crazy. So that got me to thinking and wondering if there are any leagues, tournaments etc like this?

I would rather avoid the PA1/2/3 guys though if possible as that takes away from the enjoyment somewhat when you're misplacing passes and they're pinging it around like crazy. So that got me to thinking and wondering if there are any leagues, tournaments etc like this?
Online divisions only, as far as I know. Keep your Fuma settings, look for similar assistance and hope for the best..

I would also like to give online a go and its a pity that manual players dont really have a division just for themselves..

I was watching a clip today from a fella (who is actually good in the game). He was passing around and back to his keeper (with Pass Assistance) and went mad that someone eventually abandoned the game.
As much as I hate people abandoning the matches, it looked absolutely ridiculous the way he way pinging the ball around on his half. I was thinking
1. No wonder the guy disconnected, as its frustrating as fuck
2. You wouldnt be pinging like this on manual
Really cant understand how people are having fun online on assisted..

i guess no one will play online in the normal game with barcelona, when u can play with juve , which is a super overpowered team in this game.

i guess no one will play online in the normal game with barcelona, when u can play with juve , which is a super overpowered team in this game.
Not once Barcelona complete the Neymar signing. Then you'll have a front setup involving Messi, Neymar, Suarez, Griezmann, Dembele etc.

Still enjoying the demo. Only minor complaints are that the players in the cut scene replays look like cartoon characters, show no sweat and shirts/shorts never get dirty. Things must have improved a lot if those are the only sort of things I can think to moan about!:LOL:

Online divisions only, as far as I know. Keep your Fuma settings, look for similar assistance and hope for the best..

I would also like to give online a go and its a pity that manual players dont really have a division just for themselves..

I was watching a clip today from a fella (who is actually good in the game). He was passing around and back to his keeper (with Pass Assistance) and went mad that someone eventually abandoned the game.
As much as I hate people abandoning the matches, it looked absolutely ridiculous the way he way pinging the ball around on his half. I was thinking
1. No wonder the guy disconnected, as its frustrating as fuck
2. You wouldnt be pinging like this on manual
Really cant understand how people are having fun online on assisted..

Agreed, as I found out and posted about earlier in this thread, it is a completely different game online playing against someone using passing assistance...IMO a rather unenjoyable one. It definitely takes the fun out of it and also speeds the game up as well as players no longer have to think about their actions.
I don't see how it can be that much fun to mindlessly ping the ball around with no skill, but I suppose it highlights the win at all costs mentality the youth of today have.

Oh my God I sound old today with that comment and my previous ISS pro post :LOL:

I will give online divisions a go then once the full game is out, thankyou. I have never really explored the online options on the recent PES games as they didn't really appeal to me. I'm hoping this year will be different.

Can anyone confirm if you can setup a cup with an online friend and play through it like you can with local multiplayer?

Can anyone confirm if you can setup a cup with an online friend and play through it like you can with local multiplayer?
You can't play online leagues or cups with friends, no.

I remember the days when the other game used to allow you to set up your own online leagues - we used to do an Evo-Web one each year. Those days are long gone, sadly.

You can't play online leagues or cups with friends, no.

I remember the days when the other game used to allow you to set up your own online leagues - we used to do an Evo-Web one each year. Those days are long gone, sadly.

Thanks Chris.

Yes that's the kind of thing I was hoping for but seems it is no longer an option.

I added you on PSN the other day so hopefully we can get a friendly or 2 in at least once the full game is out

On PC you could use Parsec to play offline modes "online" such as Master League or Cup/League modes;
https://parsecgaming.com/
It's best if both users have fast internet, especially the one hosting having a good upload speed.

I thought I remembered hearing about consoles having a similar feature to this? PS4 Share Play?

I don't see how it can be that much fun to mindlessly ping the ball around with no skill, but I suppose it highlights the win at all costs mentality the youth of today have.
I wonder this myself. Especially since even manual passing gives you some assistance. If you just pass it forward and your striker is slightly off, you will get some assistance. Its not like every ball has to be super precise.
On a flip side - even PA1 sometimes "picks" some other target than you aimed at.
So to me, PA0 feels like oldschool PA1 - more error but still some assistance.

Like I said previously - worst comes to worst we can always play few friendlies online once full game is out.

ISS Pro on the PS1 was like that for sure. The players would kick the ball at the most ridiculous angles with the 'wrong' foot in order to not use the weaker foot. It made for some funny replays on goals though

Even in later versions, happened all the time that a player who would, say, approach the goal on a right to left angle would use the outside of their right foot to smash the ball into the left top corner rather than using the inside of the left foot to curl it around. Drove me nuts.

I thought I remembered hearing about consoles having a similar feature to this? PS4 Game Sharing?

You're right, there is SharePlay on the PS4 but I have never actually used it so not sure how that works. Might be worth looking into though as I think you can play a game with somebody even if you don't have that game yourself.

Good thought, I shall look into this, thanks.

I thought I remembered hearing about consoles having a similar feature to this? PS4 Share Play?
I do a Master League with a friend using Share Play, and it does work - I'd forgotten about this method. One to consider, @rsl1.

But it does mean one of you is the "viewer" and your visual quality is rubbish in comparison to the host - and your input is delayed - and you have to quit/rejoin once an hour...

They need to improve their kick accuracy as well especially CPU keepers.

Also I don't know if it's a bug but it was on 19 as well at goal kicks if you don't super cancel around there CF you get pinned behind him and can't header or anything
Definitely. There needs to be more variety in these situations and has anyone seen more than 2 players fighting for an aerial ball ?

Man I just cannot stop playing this demo, I think I need help! Every day it surprises me with something new & the more & more I play the more I can feel & see the possibilities of what you can create.

I want to stop playing before release but I just can't pull myself away from it. Feel like I've waited 14 years for this game, it's just giving me such old school feels.

I don't think I've ever played a football game that does such a good job of translating what you perceive to happen in your minds eye through to the controller inputs & what you see on the screen. It just puts a massive smile on my face constantly with the beautiful pace, animations, nuanced craft & deftness to everything.

I pray they don't mess this up, please don't mess this up Konami.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom