eFootball PES 2020 Demo Discussion Thread (PS4/Xbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says in the image: "League licence does not include team licences. Please check website for further details."

I fear we might not see Roma licensed. EA are a club partner and as far as I'm aware, Serie A is atill licensed in FIFA 20 even without Juventus. I reckon we'll see the same here.

Yeah, hopefully it's just a matter of not having the kit and correct name which at least for ps4/PC isn't a problem.

Can you elaborate please on how advanced is different to basic in regards to stats?! Or is it the same?
In terms of stats? As in player stats? I don't think there is a difference in this regard, you can just pick what corner you aim for. The difference being was that shooting was incredibly accurate in 2019. The best thing to do is for me to describe the differences between using advanced shooting in the two games and just let you decide for yourself if it's something you like the sound of:

In 2019, advanced was incredibly accurate. You could aim for the bottom corner, with full power, and it didn't matter if you were controlling Ronaldo, Harry Kane, or Jeff the fat plumber from down the road; everyone would smash it on target. Volleys were insane because you could aim for the bottom corner, but the shot would rise on it's own dependant on power (much how passing works now). This made volleys insanely accurate too. The only shot that was difficult was outside the box placed shots into the opposite top corner. They seemed really floaty and were difficult to get on target, even with the best of players. It was easier to just aim for the bottom corner instead.

In 2020, as far as I can see, almost ALL of this has been addressed. I've attempted first-time shots with Lewandowski into the opposite bottom corner which have missed the target completely. I've attempted shots at really tight angles which have hilariously headed off towards the corner flag instead. These kind of misses NEVER happened on 2019. It's almost like they've implemented a part of manual shootings mechanics - by this I mean that you now have to aim slightly towards the middle of the goal to ensure your shot is on target. This is a great decision, as it makes goals much more rewarding.

In my opinion, basic is entirely down to the player's stats, and manual is entirely dependant on the skill of the person holding the controller. Advanced now feels exactly like what I hoped it would be - a fantastic middle ground of them both.

Edit:
I'm actually hoping I can remove the L2/LT 'manual' button completely, because after some testing using fuma and seeing how accurate the long shots are, I'm now always tempted to use it when shooting from outside the box because I know how musch better it is than advanced.

Last edited:
It's R1 now, works the same as R2 from PES 2019. Just tap once to stop, face the goal. Hold with R2 to drag back or just drag back with right stick and no R2.

Genuinely not having any issues with super cancel though, I've always used it to cancel passes and it's been working just as well as from PES 2019. I might have been pretty aggressive with the button presses back on '19 though so not noticing it if it's changed in the demo for '20.
R2 doesn't drag back, on its own it just does normal movement. I know about using R1 to stop. R1+R2 just sprints.

It seems that most of the animations I want are on just moving the RS with no LS movement, but this is such a fucking stupid design. The main purpose of R2 movement for me in 2019 was to keep tight control of the ball while slightly delaying a pass to time it onto the striker's run... Now you have to take your thumb off the RS to press the pass button so you can't smoothly play a pass from this movement, or charge a pass, super-cancel and continue the R2 control.

The super cancel fakes are definitely screwed for me, I could prove it with a video showing controller inputs. I've used this loads all the way back to PES5/6 and now it's not working properly.

Gotta love full manual.
Also...receiving the ball, double tapping R1 to run into space and shoot.....what a rewarding feeling!

SmartSelect_20190819-121918_Video-Player.gif

Also nice to see:
AI doing a feint (which didn´t work)...

SmartSelect_20190813-135726_Video-Player.gif

Last edited:
Yeah i feel this way about the shooting too. Manual shooting is great because of the obvious control and more margin for error you get but it does feel like the trade off with manual controls is that it's less about players stats and more about skill of the person with the controller.

But the problem is you want to feel the influence of stats on PA settings but it still doesn't quite feel like there's an algorithm or stats are influencing anything in the way it was so pronounced on the PS2 either.

And then you have the dilemma of passing and shooting feeling very passive and effortless on PA's that the challenge or the excitement of piecing together a great play or satisfying goal can be vacant.

That's my problem with assisted settings. I always played top player difficulty with PA1 and adv. shooting and everytime it felt mechanical, like I didn't have to focus to make things happen. Now, I enjoy the game more than ever because I have to think what should I do next.

Besides, even though manual shooting is less stats-wise than basic or adv., this year I feel like "stats" do matter more than previous years for things like finesse shooting, dip shot, etc.; the traits are a thing now. That's why I stick to FuMa at this very moment, and I hope I will through the rest of the year.

In terms of stats? As in player stats? I don't think there is a difference in this regard, you can just pick what corner you aim for. The difference being was that shooting was incredibly accurate in 2019. The best thing to do is for me to describe the differences between using advanced shooting in the two games and just let you decide for yourself if it's something you like the sound of:

In 2019, advanced was incredibly accurate. You could aim for the bottom corner, with full power, and it didn't matter if you were controlling Ronaldo, Harry Kane, or Jeff the fat plumber from down the road; everyone would smash it on target. Volleys were insane because you could aim for the bottom corner, but the shot would rise on it's own dependant on power (much how passing works now). This made volleys insanely accurate too. The only shot that was difficult was outside the box placed shots into the opposite top corner. They seemed really floaty and were difficult to get on target, even with the best of players. It was easier to just aim for the bottom corner instead.

In 2020, as far as I can see, almost ALL of this has been addressed. I've attempted first-time shots with Lewandowski into the opposite bottom corner which have missed the target completely. I've attempted shots at really tight angles which have hilariously headed off towards the corner flag instead. These kind of misses NEVER happened on 2019. It's almost like they've implemented a part of manual shootings mechanics - by this I mean that you now have to aim slightly towards the middle of the goal to ensure your shot is on target. This is a great decision, as it makes goals much more rewarding.

In my opinion, basic is entirely down to the player's stats, and manual is entirely dependant on the skill of the person holding the controller. Advanced now feels exactly like what I hoped it would be - a fantastic middle ground of them both.

Edit:
I'm actually hoping I can remove the L2/LT 'manual' button completely, because after some testing using fuma and seeing how accurate the long shots are, I'm now always tempted to use it when shooting from outside the box because I know how musch better it is than advanced.
Thank you for the information. That’s what I wanted to know.
So when you aim more towards the middle in 2020, then this seems to be kinda like as @Emroth and me noticed with the small “aiming window” (on manual) and you tend to target the middle or from the middle. Interesting. Once this is bad. Another time it’s good. Hm. I just wish the window was bigger. But maybe that’s bringing other problems.
For long shorts on manual... hm. It’s true. I see a lot of defenders or 6er hammering volleys. Will have a closer look now.

Glad you are enjoying advanced.

That's my problem with assisted settings. I always played top player difficulty with PA1 and adv. shooting and everytime it felt mechanical, like I didn't have to focus to make things happen. Now, I enjoy the game more than ever because I have to think what should I do next.

Besides, even though manual shooting is less stats-wise than basic or adv., this year I feel like "stats" do matter more than previous years for things like finesse shooting, dip shot, etc.; the traits are a thing now. That's why I stick to FuMa at this very moment, and I hope I will through the rest of the year.
Give advanced a go in the demo at some point.

I’m not saying it’s better than manual, as with a lot of things in football it’s entirely down to what you prefer, but they’ve done a lot to sort out the mechanical feel. Long shots in particular are easier on manual!

Really, really love the demo. The potential is there to be one of the best PES games.
There is one thing that annoys me.
In the demo, with most teams the AI GK gives a short pass to a defender and imo it's too easy to disposses this defender and to score easy goals...i've seen it with South-American teams, but also with Man Utd...

Give advanced a go in the demo at some point.

I’m not saying it’s better than manual, as with a lot of things in football it’s entirely down to what you prefer, but they’ve done a lot to sort out the mechanical feel. Long shots in particular are easier on manual!

I played adv. shooting as I started the demo, and I really like it, they've improved it a lot! And yeah, long shots on manual are easier this year, maybe they can tone it down a bit in the final game. But I finally can do low shots on manual, something that was impossible for me in 2019 haha!

Even though long shots are easier, that's why I think stats somehow can make a difference in manual, is just they have to implement it better and not make long shots that easy.

Am I playing the game wrong by playing on Superstar or something? I'm just so fed up of how direct and straight-line the AI passing game is, it's really boring to me (as @Mikhail said earlier) - and watching YouTube videos from other players, it happens to everyone, but not everyone seems to notice/care.

I can see player individuality, but very little difference in the AI's play-style at the moment, and things like physicality are still represented by players hitting invisible walls or that damn "stumble animation". (The final game may well be different but that still doesn't explain to me how everyone is so enamoured with the game versus the AI at the moment!)

With this in mind... Is there a team you particularly enjoy playing against, and why?

Last edited:
Hope it will just be the usual Sassuolo or something to miss. Any bigger team would be kinda annoying, even if for us on Pc or Ps4 it's still a very very minor problem.

Hope it will just be the usual Sassuolo or something to miss. Any bigger team would be kinda annoying, even if for us on Pc or Ps4 it's still a very very minor problem.
Sassuolo have been in since PES 18.
I'm pretty sure EA will snatch Roma,so we'll have "Laziele rosso" or something.
It's been weird with Roma on Pes 19 (and in 18 I think) that they haven't been tied to Stadio Olimpico,you could set any stadium as their stadium,but not Lazio/inter/Milan.
Bet they'll end up losing them

It's been weird with Roma on Pes 19 (and in 18 I think) that they haven't been tied to Stadio Olimpico,you could set any stadium as their stadium,but not Lazio/inter/Milan.

Would that mean that we could end up with a Serie A licence, but one less stadium? :CONF:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

For some reason I still had Sassuolo as the fake team par excellence in my mind, anyway.

Yeah I remember the Roma strangeness in 19. Probably they'll not gonna be in 2020.
It's never nice to lose an official team but honestly I'm not so concerned, I never start the real play without having the game more or less well patched. I'd take even Lazio not being in the game over gameplay being still good (besides last year they did an awful job with Lazio's kits, the modded ones were all miles away anyway).

Would that mean that we could end up with a Serie A licence, but one less stadium? :CONF:
Why so? It's one of the best stadiums in the game and Lazio is still in. Plus they know most people will patch the game and assign it to Roma anyway. Would be 360 degrees nonsense to remove it.

Still think that Olimpico will be in for Lazio,but it would be very strange to have "FULLY licenced Serie A" and not all teams.
Not that I think EA would be interested to have Roma as an exclusive,since they already have a full Serie A (with Piemonte) but who knows?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

For some reason I still had Sassuolo as the fake team par excellence in my mind, anyway.

Yeah I remember the Roma strangeness in 19. Probably they'll not gonna be in 2020.
It's never nice to lose an official team but honestly I'm not so concerned, I never start the real play without having the game more or less well patched. I'd take even Lazio not being in the game over gameplay being still good (besides last year they did an awful job with Lazio's kits, the modded ones were all miles away anyway).

Why so? It's one of the best stadiums in the game and Lazio is still in. Plus they know most people will patch the game and assign it to Roma anyway. Would be 360 degrees nonsense to remove it.
Just find it strange for EA to tie up Roma,way to small team (in their minds) to tie up for an exclusive deal?
Maybe payback for Piemonte gate?
I'm on Xbox ,so I'm fucked if Roma is out,can't play as "Suburra red" Vs your Lazio:)
Btw,see the movie Suburra,not the shitty Netflix series,stunning film

Still think that Olimpico will be in for Lazio,but it would be very strange to have "FULLY licenced Serie A" and not all teams.
Not that I think EA would be interested to have Roma as an exclusive,since they already have a full Serie A (with Piemonte) but who knows?

Yeah, but it is already strange. FULLY licensed is only the badge, trophy and logo as i understand it? Every team is managed individually, right?

Yeah, but it is already strange. FULLY licensed is only the badge, trophy and logo as i understand it? Every team is managed individually, right?
Yeah it's really confusing,since the PR department is made up by idiot's,no one knows,and I'll bet we won't find out til release day-ish.
Or when/if EA presents some exclusive teams,if EA doesn't ,then we'll have all teams.
Such shitty communications from Konami

Yeah it's really confusing,since the PR department is made up by *****'s,no one knows,and I'll bet we won't find out til release day-ish.
Or when/if EA presents some exclusive teams,if EA doesn't ,then we'll have all teams.
Such shitty communications from Konami

If they actually are having the whole league.. Maybe with more stadiums, it is incredible they aren't using it to promote the game better. With a video or such..

I tried manual shooting for the first time last night, Wow it seems waaaaaaaaaay to over powered. Some of the goals i was scoring would never be possible in a million years on basic or advanced and it all felt a bit cheating tbf it's as if the goal keepers have not been programmed right for manual shooting yet. Shooting from distance just felt too easy and was scoring too many worldies. Swapping between Basic, Advanced & Manual all night had me scratching my head as to why on superstar you cannot score the same goals in each of the shooting modes. Basic and Advanced need far more trajectories added to get them on par with manual.

Am I playing the game wrong by playing on Superstar or something? I'm just so fed up of how direct and straight-line the AI passing game is, it's really boring to me (as @Mikhail said earlier) - and watching YouTube videos from other players, it happens to everyone, but not everyone seems to notice/care.

I can see player individuality, but very little difference in the AI's play-style at the moment, and things like physicality are still represented by players hitting invisible walls or that damn "stumble animation". (The final game may well be different but that still doesn't explain to me how everyone is so enamoured with the game versus the AI at the moment!)

With this in mind... Is there a team you particularly enjoy playing against, and why?

I couldn’t play on pa1..For me the game feels to on rails and automated.

For me it’s not that the Ai is doing anything mind-blowing..Although conversely the lower star teams actually do more tricks and show a lot more flare then the bigger sides and feel more fleshed out in regards to individuality.

It’s more the balance aspect and I don’t get that sense that I’m being cheated or it’s a boring drudge playing the cpu on superstar..

When you get to the stage where your not focusing on what the game isn’t doing or what you expect it to be and just enjoy it for what it is..There really isn’t any other substitute imo..

Weirdly..I just prefer the Ai in pes this year over any iteration I’ve played of the other game..

It’s already very competent and potentially could be amazing if we see the likes of Barca and some of the bigger teams behave more like a human would control them..I’ve seen flashes so it’s there.But it does seem more prevalent with the lower teams(possibly deliberate)..

Been playing football games since the early eighties..Yet I don’t find the AI boring to play..Every game feels different and I’m getting out what I put in..

For me playing pa1 would be as dull as dishwater..You can’t really pass into empty spaces,the ball always 99 percent of the time goes to feet and there’s just no real thought or skill that needs to be applied..It’s ping pong football and would for me just be tiresome to play.

I find it interesting how many claim they want a more realistic game yet play with stabilisers on and assists.Well it’s going to be boring if all your ground passes and lofted/high passes are governed by the cpu and minimal input from the user.Its not like the cpu has a edge and I’ve noticed on pa0 the cpu doesn’t have perfect pass accuracy or no error on touch..It to has to control the ball first,makes mistakes and I’ve seen it using the space around it very effectively.

Where’s the satisfaction from a placed cross or pass that you placed into space to make something happen on pa1.Because it’s not like pa0 is manual in the sense that stats don’t have a impact and it’s totally user driven.

You can see from my videos and many others that pa0 looks more natural and it’s not like we can’t string passes together or play a very precise game.It’s so much more versatile and is imo how the game should be played..Especially if you know a bit about football and have some skill with a controller.

Bottom line you don’t need tricks or the trick stick to be sublime on this game..The basics are enough and a good football minded player will get this game shining.Because it rewards those that try to play football.

1vs1 offline..wow and double wow if your playing a like minded player..Against the cpu..not far off,the potential is there.

Last edited:
If they actually are having the whole league.. Maybe with more stadiums, it is incredible they aren't using it to promote the game better. With a video or such..
Unbelievable to be honest!
They have a licence,for a top three/four league and should really have a promo for it ready instead of just tweeting it.
They've had Ligue 1/2 for a few years,haven't done anything with that licence at all,no stadiums (Monaco for Pes 19).
Really amateurish

A while back someone here claimed (or had read rumors) Roma would be EA- exclusive but I don't know if I dreamt that or not.

Yup that was me. Because there was a teaser from EA with scanned faces from Roma players (and they usually do such teasers only for partner teams)

Btw,
low cross with holding L2 down (Yes, really L2 not L1) doesn´t work.
I hold it to get the aiming arrow...but with double tapping :circle:, the cross would always be high.

Funnily enough, I do have my L1 and L2 swapped around so this conversation has been quite confusing! I've just tried it and yeah it's broken isn't it, how weird! I don't use the manual modifier for aiming so I guess I should count myself lucky that for once something konami removes doesn't affect me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom