Votes: 212 45.1%
  • Yes, PES is still the better game

Votes: 146 31.1%
  • I play FIFA & PES, I like both

Votes: 100 21.3%
  • I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays

Votes: 12 2.6%

• Total voters
I'm not necessarily talking about the ability to play beautiful football mate. I'm talking about improving the movement off the ball from an offensive point of view, something which the old PES did brilliantly imo. Players don't play to their scripted positions or runs whether or not they're playing long balls, possession, etc.

Next time you watch a game of football look at the formations and player's position, then during the actual game observe how where the players actually play on the pitch or run when on the offensive. You'll notice them running into space and exploring way beyond their position on paper. You may see a winger playing in the center looking to score a goal.

I just show a lot of examples of Arsenal because they have some of the best movements off the ball. If you really wanted extreme realism then teams in League 1 would be scoring very scrappy goals most of the time, most of which would be due to defensive mistakes such as letting the ball bounce or poor marking.

Last edited:
Rentalkid, are you mad?
Used to play PES but after 2008 (which was hyped upped beyond all belief before release)i lost my love for the franchise. It is just the same game being churned out year after year after year only with minor tweaks here and there, and in some cases things being taken out. This wasnt such a major problem on the ps2 as the game was superb and looked good for the ps2 machine. But i went out and bought a ps3 solely for pro evo 2008 as i dont really have time to play lots of games. I was so gutted. Then Euro2008 was released and, after giving it time to grow on me, fell in love. Wasnt the perfect game but online was incredible. Then when all the news started to filter through regards to fifa09, like when Suff went to Canada, my juices started to flow. I just knew PES2009 would be basically the same game as last year, and i have been proved right. And Fifa09.......it has lived up to the hype. The best gane i have EVER played. The games i have encountered, online and offline have given my that "PES MAGIC" that most of us used to have. Took it round my brothers last night and it blew him away. He is a complete novice so not that good but he couldnt believe how real the game looked and most importantly, played. And the little animations that could easlily be missed. We kept pausing games and going to replays to look at the subtle flicks and tricks. WHAT A GAME.....WHAT A GAME!!! Heavens only knows how good Fifa10 is going to be. This game will last me the 12 months though i just know that is a fact. Im sorry PES, but you are, like your servers, lagging.

It doesn't surprise me really - PES 09 is a really average/poor game and I think it deserves even less than the scores it got.

It doesn't surprise me really - PES 09 is a really average/poor game and I think it deserves even less than the scores it got.

Agreed but doesnt that mean that the last gen fifa09 pc should get scores in the range of 3-4?

Both football games for PC are overrated a lot in terms of review scores.

I think PES 09 is a much better game than FIFA 09 PC, but that doesn't make it a good game at all. FIFA 09 PC is so scripted and restricted, but the high review scores are probably because they made an effort on it this time, implementing mouse control and improving the graphics, meaning they had to give it a higher score than 08 PC.

Well, so much for encouraging EA to release a game on the PC thats at least on par with its next-gen console counterparts.
FIFA on PC needs a kick in the teeth, like PES does on the next-gen platforms. Think of the possibilities if we can mod FIFA on its full next-gen engine. The modding community starts from the PC, then it gradually moves over to the consoles, like the old PES ps2 versions.

personally i think they should scrap pc and ps2 now and just concentrate on ps3,xbox,wii and psp. Next gen has been here for long enough now. With the PC it must complicate things when everybody has different spec computers. I know that i will be incurring the wrath of pc users by saying that but that is just my opinion....which counts for nothing i suppose :(

Well thats a fair enough opinion. I understand EA with their piracy concerns on the PC, but they could do a better job of distributing the game, digitally perhaps. They could take a look at platforms like Steam for example.
But the problem is, unlike KONAMI who have no problems distributing PES as a proper multi-platform game, EA are claiming that PCs don't have enough power to run the next-gen versions of FIFA, their main excuse is they're not able to scale the A.I to fit lower requirements, which is utter bollocks.

Back to the main topic, I still play PES on the PC(currently playing around with the mods and BAL), but I do occasionally turn on the ol 360 and give FIFA09 a go when I feel like it.

I wish Fifa did transfer next gen to the PC because it would open the door to much more editing options and patches. I remember there was one patch for Fifa 06 on the PC that had almost every league in the world!!

Well thats a fair enough opinion. I understand EA with their piracy concerns on the PC, but they could do a better job of distributing the game, digitally perhaps. They could take a look at platforms like Steam for example.
But the problem is, unlike KONAMI who have no problems distributing PES as a proper multi-platform game, EA are claiming that PCs don't have enough power to run the next-gen versions of FIFA, their main excuse is they're not able to scale the A.I to fit lower requirements, which is utter bollocks.

Back to the main topic, I still play PES on the PC(currently playing around with the mods and BAL), but I do occasionally turn on the ol 360 and give FIFA09 a go when I feel like it.

So EA fancies itself as smarter than 2k? NBA 2k9 (which owns royally EA's pathetic NBA Live....) is a DIRECT NEXT GEN Xbox360 PORT on PC....and its on steam....And the funniest thing? A C2D dual core processor maxes NBA2k9 easily....

Yeah I'm aware of that. Thats why I said EA's excuse is utter bollocks.
Bit offtopic, is there online play for NBA2k9 PC? :D

Yeah I'm aware of that. Thats why I said EA's excuse is utter bollocks.
Bit offtopic, is there online play for NBA2k9 PC? :D

You know while 2k makes great games....they have 0 understanding of how the PC market works...so theyve blown their heads up win a suicidial frenzy of no online....piracy will sadly kill this single player NBA game...

I only play PS2 PES titles. PES next gen has been a tremendous disappointment..imo. It needs a a complete reworking to reinvigorate this (once?) great franchise. I hope they do it.

I've been impressed with the improvements to the FIFA gameplay. 09 is a game that I enjoyed playing and the production values all around is excellent. While it's an improvement the gameplay is still missing that 'magic' feeling that I get while playing old PES ps2 titles against my friends. Sounds a lil corny but it's hard to explain. But FIFa is on the right track. I'm looking forward to FIFA 10.

I mainly play soccer titles for the 1v1, 2v2 battles/matches with friends(not talking about online..too many noobs/idiots online) and I still have the most fun with PS2 PES...imo Patches keep teams/players/transfers up to date for me.

@Trequartista10

To make a long story short i think you are right and EA need to improve the movement off the ball (from an offensive point of view). It is not so bad (just to make this clear) but sometimes i feel it is a little bit to static. I think sometimes players should play a little bit more out of position. it seems there love holding the position a little bit to much - just like you mention it.

Again it doesnt mean this game is bad. Of course it is not, its a very, very good game. But of course, it is not perfect and there are some Points to improve and i feel offensive off the ball movement could be one of this Points.

P.S

I really need to improve my english. It is strange i really feel a little bit dump :-D , cause i can not express my thoughts the way i would love to because im just missing words. It really gets on my nerves now - need to work on it (and will be - so maybe next time i can get deeper into your Postings - i think they deserve it :-)

You all should try freeform tactics, I don't find any problem with the runs, they seem to do a lot of them. And you can move them with L1!

Tbh mate I don't see a difference between free form and organized. Players are still pretty static to their position, yes you can make runs with L1 but its always the same runs to the same areas. For example your left winger will make runs up the left wing 90% of the time. Its rare to see him cut inside and make a diagonal run or something more creative.

I think its improved over Fifa 08 because of the custom tactics but I think it's one of the main things EA really have to look into now that they have such an amazing animation and physics engine.

Guys, I think our best football gaming days are behind us. PES/WE used to be good few years back esp. on PS2 but that is history now. You can either relive this by playing WE7I on PS2 and have some fun or you can simply move on. Konami is dead, so is PES. Good memories for sure.

Guys, I think our best football gaming days are behind us.

I think the best is still to come. I put a lot of hope into Fifa10 if EA continues to listen to the Fans. They improved Fifa09 a lot, this game is now so much better than Fifa08. If they go on like this, in Fifa10 dreams may come true.

And is still believe PES has a future too. It may take a while because it seems they can not improve things very fast (maybe they should not produce this game for any plattform - maybe it would be wiser to concentrate on PS3, xbox360 and PC only)but i think they still have the potential (know-how)to make a great game. Maybe in 2 or 3 Years PES is back in old strength.

But overall football gaming is not dead. The future is bright mate.

I think the best is still to come. I put a lot of hope into Fifa10 if EA continues to listen to the Fans. They improved Fifa09 a lot, this game is now so much better than Fifa08. If they go on like this, in Fifa10 dreams may come true.

And is still believe PES has a future too. It may take a while because it seems they can not improve things very fast (maybe they should not produce this game for any plattform - maybe it would be wiser to concentrate on PS3, xbox360 and PC only)but i think they still have the potential (know-how)to make a great game. Maybe in 2 or 3 Years PES is back in old strength.

But overall football gaming is not dead. The future is bright mate.

I love that you're optimistic and you very well may be right but sorry to break it down to you but companies do not care what the fans think. They never did, and never will.

It was about time for FIFA to step up after years of sucking balls deep. PES went from being good to being bad. This doesn't happen too often with games.

I love that you're optimistic and you very well may be right but sorry to break it down to you but companies do not care what the fans think. They never did, and never will.

It was about time for FIFA to step up after years of sucking balls deep. PES went from being good to being bad. This doesn't happen too often with games.

your wrong dude, ea has been listening and doing things the community wanted... your so wrong

I'm losing faith in FIFA09 satisfying me til next September. Already. There's so many missed opportunities with the game, and so many bugs and faults. I could criticise it all night.

Can't go to PES2009 as I've lost all faith in the series sadly.

Looks like management games will be getting a look in a bit more in the coming weeks, especially with Football Manager 09 out soon, and Fifa Manager already out...

^^^^ RespecTT !!

The more I play FIFA 09 the more I'm getting frustrated. Last night, I almost broke my damn controller in half. Playing Legendary or World class difficulty sucks balls. CPU cheats so much it's not even funny. Impossible saves by the keeper, impossible passes, unrealistic goals, I mean not on this earth can you score a goal like CPU can on legendary diff. Every attack is intercepted but when I need to defend my players become "lazy" unresponsive like they are about to suffer cardiac arrest or something. I was never more mad than I was last night. My neighbors probably heard me screaming and yelling. The biggest bullshit with this game is referees are very biased. Every small tacke, I get called for or even carder, but the ref. never whistles when CPU fouls me. Last night, I was brought down so hard by Puyol in the penalty area and not even a call or PK or anything. Yeahhh right...

^^^^ RespecTT !!

The more I play FIFA 09 the more I'm getting frustrated. Last night, I almost broke my damn controller in half. Playing Legendary or World class difficulty sucks balls. CPU cheats so much it's not even funny. Impossible saves by the keeper, impossible passes, unrealistic goals, I mean not on this earth can you score a goal like CPU can on legendary diff. Every attack is intercepted but when I need to defend my players become "lazy" unresponsive like they are about to suffer cardiac arrest or something. I was never more mad than I was last night. My neighbors probably heard me screaming and yelling. The biggest bullshit with this game is referees are very biased. Every small tacke, I get called for or even carder, but the ref. never whistles when CPU fouls me. Last night, I was brought down so hard by Puyol in the penalty area and not even a call or PK or anything. Yeahhh right...
I agree, I had the same feeling like you. That's the reason why I still play PES.

I like more fifa because fifa has better manager mode
and i play manager mode
pes has better graphics but for me it is important to have realistic legaues

Back
Top Bottom