Votes: 12 2.6%

• Total voters

Chris Davies

Chief PESsimist
Staff
14 May 2003
UK
Tranmere Rovers
Coopz has requested the following poll, so don't blame me if it all goes wrong. ;)

Do you still play PES?
  • No, FIFA has become the better game
  • Yes, PES is still the better game
  • I play FIFA & PES, I like both
  • I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays
If your answer is "I'm waiting to see the full game" or "I'm waiting to see the PES2009 demo/full game", then don't vote yet. ;)

FIFA > PES.
That's just the way it's gone.

PES is now just a game with a PS1 base with fully automated controls, awful animations, AI, online servers/features, bad graphics (compared to FIFA and many other games from this generation) with the gameplay bearing little/no resemblance to football and it has made no progress whatsoever for too long (gone backwards even).

FIFA has got a new engine which has been developed into a very good simulation of football with manual controls, great animations, very good graphics (even the faces now) etc. and is improving massively in every department each year.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Staff
One of the things I don't understand is when people say "I used to love editing PES"... I always hated spending a month adding the proper names and fixing the ridiculous stats that were around, or downloading patches and spending £££ on discs and dodgy burns. How the hell is that enjoyable?! I buy a game to play it, not to fix it!!

And after a month of editing I'd only play the game for a week before I'd come on here saying "this is the same game as last year, why are we all settling for so few changes?"

haha why is football manager thrown in there?!?

and you missed out "Fifa 09 is the first Fifa i will play"

:))

• Staff
It's a joke for those who don't like either Coopz, I believe there are a few about.

And I can't add "FIFA 09 is the first FIFA I will play" because then you can't say "FIFA is now the better game" as well. If it's their first FIFA they can just say so in the thread, I'm sure they will anyway. ;)

It's a joke for those who don't like either Coopz, I believe there are a few about.

And I can't add "FIFA 09 is the first FIFA I will play" because then you can't say "FIFA is now the better game" as well. If it's their first FIFA they can just say so in the thread, I'm sure they will anyway. ;)

pff

and i want names of the people that don't like me :))

Fifa,

Was already getting frustrated with the ML in pes4. Pes360 was ridiculous, got that in Jan in the sales and got bored of it after a month. Didnt even buy pes08 as the demo gave me a headache.

Got Fifa07 NG and enjoyed it for a month, however it was a flawed game. The good part was that you could see the potential. Fifa08 improved a lot of aspects, as did euro08. I didnt actually play euro08 much as playing international teams just doesnt interest me, but again it was an improvement. Fifa09 Demo has once again made huge improvements so I'll definitly be getting the full game, and see no need to even bother with PES6 full version, a.k.a PES2009.

FIFA > PES.
That's just the way it's gone.

PES is now just a game with a PS1 base with fully automated controls, awful animations, AI, online servers/features, bad graphics (compared to FIFA and many other games from this generation) with the gameplay bearing little/no resemblance to football and it has made no progress whatsoever for too long (gone backwards even).

FIFA has got a new engine which has been developed into a very good simulation of football with manual controls, great animations, very good graphics (even the faces now) etc. and is improving massively in every department each year.

I agree completely Fifa has made a nice choice of getting rid of the bizzare player diversity and stats that are the holy grail of PES and just give us two teams with minimal tactics and player differences....but rewarding the skill....now that im thinking about it FIFA is better than real football....where few rich guys just smash usually the weaker side because of thei thick wallets...

you could of atleast made it a public poll so we can see who has chosen what
We don't want to victimise someone just because they play a different game to us, and that's what would happen. A lot of people take games way too seriously.

We don't want to victimise someone just because they play a different game to us, and that's what would happen. A lot of people take games way too seriously.

thats part of the fun surely :LIE:

i am just interested to see who the person is in this picture ;))

18177429_cf36fb5f48.jpg

I agree completely Fifa has made a nice choice of getting rid of the bizzare player diversity and stats that are the holy grail of PES and just give us two teams with minimal tactics and player differences....but rewarding the skill....now that im thinking about it FIFA is better than real football....where few rich guys just smash usually the weaker side because of thei thick wallets...
I would say that FIFA is even getting close to PES on the aspect of players being different:

It's easier to pick your way through a defence with Kaka because of his pace and ball control.
Ballack charges into the box late to power in headers (like he does in real life)
Drogba is very strong, good in the air and is a very good finisher. You can shield the ball and wait for support from the wingers/midfield very effectively with him.
Lampard seems to drift around near the edge of the box for long shots.
etc...

The differences are more subtle than in PES, but they are there. I think that PES overdid it in fact, with good players being really exaggerated and superhuman and bad players (well, not always bad, sometimes just poorly researched) being really useless and unable to pass 10 yards at a reasonable speed.

I think that's a good point, and in FIFA there is a massive difference between players in the top league and players in the leagues below. But saying that, it seems that players of the same ability (i.e. good enough to play in a certain league) don't really differ enough from eachother. For example, in FIFA 08, if I bought a good dribbler for Tranmere with the same overall ability as someone else in the squad, it wouldn't make any difference. I hope that's improved in FIFA 09.

That statement is more serious that what your trying to stop happening :LOL:

it just a forum at the end of the day and if you take some banter seriously you need to get a grip

that's not directed at anyone either :))

it just a forum at the end of the day and if you take some banter seriously you need to get a grip
Some people come here to talk about certain things and don't want any involvement in banter, it's a very British mentality, and not everyone is British. So when someone says they've got shit for brains for liking a different football game from them, it's not fun. There's a difference between banter and being abusive and even then not everyone appreciates banter. You have to understand that not everybody thinks in the same way that you do, and they're not about to change because you or anyone else thinks they need to "get a grip".

I'm not trying to be a ponce, I don't mind banter personally (well most of it), but not everyone is like that. So let's just stick to talking about the game. If you want to banter with someone you know the guys you can banter with.

I played the FIFA 09 demo for about 4 hours solid after I first got it, then went back to Pro.

In the past, FIFA has always felt to me like the ball was a big, wet, spnge one, very sluggish. This time, it sounds like a flyaway when it 'pings' around. Also, everything happens a half second after I press the button, so timing is an issue.

Granted, the likenesses, graphics and presentation are top notch, but overall, I just don't feel like I'm playing football, more along for the ride.

Weird that you say that, when I went back to PES2008 (PSP, so PS2 engine basically) I found the reaction times worse - especially when you're close to an opposition defender, the game will lag up your reaction so that they can get the ball off you!

Weird that you say that, when I went back to PES2008 (PSP, so PS2 engine basically) I found the reaction times worse - especially when you're close to an opposition defender, the game will lag up your reaction so that they can get the ball off you!

I'm fully open to the fact that it could be down to me owning PES for many years (despite still being poor at it!)

Just played the demo of FIFA09 and i really liked it. It's better than FIFA08.
It's certainly better than PES2008.
I will buy it.
I also have the impression that now there are differences between the players which was the one aspect why i always preferred PES even if last year's was a big decpetion.

Oh yeah, i voted that i still play both...

I play FIFA because online Pro last year was unplayable.

I play Pro when playing with mates or on the odd occasion I decide to play a football game against the CPU.

FIFA is the better game by a mile BUT when im bored and looking for a arcade game on the rare occasion Ill play PES6 (To be fair this started when i got fed up of FIFA08) So I wouldnt say both as 99% of the time I play FIFA and I doubt il even be giving PES the 1% this year.

I play PES5 on the 360 so I voted for neither.

Disappointed with both over recent years, but hopefully both will be good this time around. Yeah, otherwise I'll continue playing Gears online like I have been for the past 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom