Votes: 212 45.1%
  • Yes, PES is still the better game

Votes: 146 31.1%
  • I play FIFA & PES, I like both

Votes: 100 21.3%
  • I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays

Votes: 12 2.6%

• Total voters
Fifa is a better game , but only on consoles . I am a pc gamer , so for me pes much more better now , but only on pc .

I downloaded Fifa09 . Yes . the graphics and presentation is better. Players looks better. Also shirts etc. But gameplay still sucks. Ball physics is not like PES. And I don't like it.
What i mean when I shoot in PES I feel that it is a great shot or a bad shot as soon as I press the shoot button. But in Fifa you have no idea.
Fifa is improved but not enough in gameplay. As a PES fan I wasn't satisfied with PES2008 but I still prefer it to Fifa09.
Because I don't care much about licenses, shirts, stadiums or goal celebrations etc.
I just care about realistic gameplay.
To appreciate what FIFA offers, you have to play it in a certain way - like real football (manual controls add to realism further).

You can't just go and play it like you would do with PES - going forwards all game, doing chipped through balls at every opportunity, having loads of long shots etc. It just won't work, it will frustrate you and make the gameplay look crap. I was in the habit of playing the "PES way" when I first played FIFA and I hated it, but I changed my style to a more realistic, patient and thought-out style, and I improved a lot - scored more goals, conceded less and won more games.

To those who can't play FIFA, it's just a midfield scrap with posession constantly changing hands.
To those who can play FIFA, it's the most realistic simulation of football in a video game ever.

Hardcore PES fans will not even attempt to make the transition though, instead they will just either:

A) Dismiss FIFA without even trying it
or
B) Try it a few times and then say it sucks because things don't always go their way.

It's their loss though really, they are missing out on the best football video game experience :)).

To appreciate what FIFA offers, you have to play it in a certain way - like real football (manual controls add to realism further).

You can't just go and play it like you would do with PES - going forwards all game, doing chipped through balls at every opportunity, having loads of long shots etc. It just won't work, it will frustrate you and make the gameplay look crap. I was in the habit of playing the "PES way" when I first played FIFA and I hated it, but I changed my style to a more realistic, patient and thought-out style, and I improved a lot - scored more goals, conceded less and won more games.

To those who can't play FIFA, it's just a midfield scrap with posession constantly changing hands.
To those who can play FIFA, it's the most realistic simulation of football in a video game ever.

Hardcore PES fans will not even attempt to make the transition though, instead they will just either:

A) Dismiss FIFA without even trying it
or
B) Try it a few times and then say it sucks because things don't always go their way.

It's their loss though really, they are missing out on the best football video game experience :)).

This is true....EA has changed the way we play football games...its not like we whant to see a real football match...we just whant 100% control over what happens in the pitch...so stats, players and tactics are all interfering with player skill....its like a nice crossbreed between chess and football...

PES started to loose his magic for me when scoring a goal became more of a regular event. In retrospect that was from PES6 on...
Before that scoring goals was really sommething special (and rare).
In the beginning i thought "hey i'm getting better at this, but now i realise that the game became easier...".
I hope PES2009 is a step "back" too PES5 or PES4...(i never played a WE game unfortunately).

PES started to loose his magic for me when scoring a goal became more of a regular event. In retrospect that was from PES6 on...
Before that scoring goals was really sommething special (and rare).
In the beginning i thought "hey i'm getting better at this, but now i realise that the game became easier...".
I hope PES2009 is a step "back" too PES5 or PES4...(i never played a WE game unfortunately).
WE for me were better games than PES, they just played a better game, shame you missed them gerd, pick up a cheap chipped PS2, there still miles better than 2008 and you can get some fantastic patches...

I hope PES2009 is a step "back" too PES5 or PES4...
You hope for a step back? :SS

PES4 and 5 were good at the time they were released (especially 5), but replicating something 3-4 years old, with different graphics and a new game mode isn't acceptable.

I want steps forward, with more complex AI, manual controls, good online features etc. At least EA have upped their game and added those things over the last couple of years, or we would have two rubbish football games on offer...

I've put back in brackets... "..."
It was some sort of litle joke, put you people take all this PES/FIFA thing waaaaaaay too serious.

I refer to it as a legendary series, however now doing a Gazza sadly.

PES is all about memories now, I look fondly on the times where myself and a couple of fellow addicts battling each other. 5 or 6 hours a night, 3 or 4 nights a week, for about 4 years! Another special memory being the Pro Evo tourneys at me mates, he held it every year when his parents were on hols. Between 8 and 14 of us there each time, with drinks and card games as refreshments for those not playing, and even one year it was me joining my work colleague for a back-to-back session of drum & bass and hard dance on my decks as the tourney played on. Everyone fucking loved Pro Evo, and one year when I turned up with a patched copy of the latest Winning Eleven, the lad's front room had never seen so much crammed action, apart from when his mam invited the male members of the local book club round for a Kama Sutra reading when husband and son were at a footie match.

I totally agree with gerd Pro evolution soccer 5 was the best in the series i was an xbox player had it patched best game in the world.

my brother owned a ps2 he bought PES6 and its was crap it felt smoother but the game play and the feel and scoring all the time just ruined it for me they went the way FIFA had went all thoughs years arcade shit i understand that they had to make it for a wider fan base so that it wasn't just the hardcore footy fans that played pro Evo but by doing this i think they took away the stuff that made pro evolution soccer 5 what it was.

in my honest opinion Pro Evo 5 only needed some minor fixes to make the next game ref strictness and collision detection and some minor game tweaks but they changed to much and it went south to this date i still play Pro Evo 5 with friends as they all agree that the new games are dribble.

So lets hope that 2009 version is better i don't think it will be as on this site there are interviews and they state that its 2008 but with new animations and new lighting if it is then am going to FIFA as i like this years it feels heavy and you have more control over your team and players just feels better than the new PES games but never better than Pro Evo 5.

But these are my opinions others will differ but the more we buy PES in its current state the more there going to chuck them out just the same old game with new kits and a special move (like FIFA used to do)

example the new PES has the UEFA license now how many people will buy the game just for that prob loads.

FIFA realised that most of there fan base was leaving to go to PES they had to do something drastic they made FIFA07 Next-Gen the turning point in the FIFA series they made an arse of it but still they were trying now we have FIFA09 and its a damn good game compared to the new PES games so it looks like FIFA may overtake PES for the first time in a long long long time i hope that Konami get there fingers out of there arses and make a good game this time.

Hey Rob,
This is a very mature and wise comment that helped me to think about the new gen Fifa series. Most of us are prejudiced about the things we like but sometimes being rational gives us more..
These are just video games and we should not be like fans on the terraces on this I think.
We should admit that EA worked very hard to improve all those years but Konami did not.
Thanks anyway

I've just played the demo a few times on my 360. It still feels a bit odd to me (when players gather the ball and are about to pass/shoot etc) I think it might be that i just can't get used to the control stick.

That said, there are some nice new animations (tackles and shooting) and penalties are quite fun. As the keeper, you really feel you can choose your direction as the player strikes the ball. I just beat Milan with Toronto and saved 4 penalties. I'm not sure about players feeling different just yet, gerd.

I had every iss/pes game on every system i think but i bought 2 copies (to ensure i had it b4 release day) of 06 for 360 and was gutted, then later, i got fifa 08 and it chanegd my gaming life, i bout pes 2008 and played it 3 games, that was enough. I dont think im even gonna get the new one, its not even fun with me mates these days, i cant wait for sum multiplayer with the new fifa, it reminds me of how fun pes was once. RIP

I played the FIFA 09 demo for about 4 hours solid after I first got it, then went back to Pro.

In the past, FIFA has always felt to me like the ball was a big, wet, spnge one, very sluggish. This time, it sounds like a flyaway when it 'pings' around. Also, everything happens a half second after I press the button, so timing is an issue.

Granted, the likenesses, graphics and presentation are top notch, but overall, I just don't feel like I'm playing football, more along for the ride.

I've switched now, after playing the FIFA demo more and more, I appreciate it is a different, but better, interpretation of the game. PES is end to end shot after shot high scoring mayhem, with cheating CPU players, slowdown and poor graphics.

FIFA is patient, you have to earn a chance on goal, you can't out sprint everybody, or take out the entire team with a through ball unless it's perfectly timed.

The final nail in the coffin? PES 2009 demo :LOL::LOL:

After 3 days of fifa09 and a quick play on PES2009 demo...i can safely say i believe PES2009 demo plays better than FIFA09 in terms of gameplay.

It doesnt mean i dont like fifa09...all this BAP mode online is very fun indead...

My memory of PES6 seems glorious in comparison. The PES 2009 demo confirms that I have for the third year running made the right chance.

Last edited:
I think I made that really unclear. The PES2009 demo confirms that FIFA 09 is the right choice, lol.

I'm planning to play both sets of games, FIFA09 on the 360 and PES2009 on the PC.

I think both games have its own good/bad points, it depends on yer mood and what u want in a footie game. I'm sure there are some things PES does good whilst FIFA doesn't, and vice versa.

Its a free world full of choices. But if yer talking about preference and value for money, on the next-gen consoles it should be FIFA09, IMHO. Simply because more work has seemingly been put into it.(As it appears on the surface). Due to EA taking full advantage of the console hardware power, it plays and looks like how a next-gen footie game should be.

I will probably buy both games anyway but FIFA IMO seems to be MILES ahead in almost every department this year which makes me sad in a way because I HAD been a PES fan since the ISS days. I hope this year's massive gap between the quality of the different games will give Konami the kick up the backside they need to get back to producing a great football game but I don't see it TBH.

After trying the PES09 Demo on PS3 there is no doubt that i will not play PES for another Year. It is not a Next Gen Game at all, not even close.

On the other side Fifa09 (PS3) is just a fantastic Game. Not perfect, but the closest thing to real football that i have ever played and truly a Next Gen Game in every Aspect. So it is an easy Decision.

Next Year PES will get another fair chance. It is still my favorite Game Franchise of all Times (on pair with Monkey Island), cause it brings me so much Joy over the Years. I still believe that one Day the Magic of Pro Evo will be back.

how times have changed!...lol

FIFA hands down!
FIFA09 has stepped up to the plate this year!
Still a few niggles here and there...BUT...WEEE niggles...

PES has more wrong with the game than just "niggles"
the game engine has been twisted and tweeked to an inch of its life and in a bad way...i can't see how after getting a nice engine and balance to the game can they then go about destroying it!
animations are also horrid!

PC user here - Voted - I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays. PES2009 isn't rubbish but its just not what I hoped for. As for Fifa on the PC, now that is rubbish. Haven't played the console version and probably never will as I dont own one. I suppose i'm missing out on a good game there but nothing which would justify me spending over 100 pound to get the dang thing

Last edited:
I was a long time PES preferer (keyword was) I used to play Fifa for the presentation but PES was always where it was at for me especially in gameplay and fun.

Bottom line now is that PES doesn't feel like PES anymore.

Fifa feels more like PES of old now, compared to the Fifa games I'm used to.

It's plainly obvious that EA has been working hard to change the focus and style of their game from arcade to simulation....very wise move but why did Konami decide to change PES style to what didn't work for Fifa ? I'm not sure that's accurate but I do think PES is guilty of being over tweaked to the point of ruin.

I can say that I played the PES 2009 demo and no it doesn't feel like PES anymore, especially in the shooting (can you say awful ?) and the proof of the pudding is in the eating and I can tell you I played Fifa 09 a couple of days after the PES demo and it was like a breath of fresh air I instantly had more fun on that than I did on PES and Fifa has alot more depth for me to discover yet (as I was playing with assisted everything lol against my brother but I still enjoyed the game alot...whereas PES just wasn't pulling me in).....so it seems we have a role reversal and the king of football games seems to be Fifa now.

Let's just pray they keep the licenses in 2010 (or whenever they are up for grabs) and can EA not get the UEFA Champions League license back off PES and incorporate it into Fifa lol.

PS

I really hope EA will keep the current style of Fifa and look to improve year on year and not go back to releasing dog shit cash ins.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom