Votes: 212 45.1%
  • Yes, PES is still the better game

Votes: 146 31.1%
  • I play FIFA & PES, I like both

Votes: 100 21.3%
  • I play Football Manager/neither, they're both rubbish nowadays

Votes: 12 2.6%

• Total voters
why the fcuk would I lie man, grow up. I have a PS3 my mrs bought me for Christmas, bought the first FIFA game since 1997 to play on it (online) and I still prefer PES.

Relax, FIFA does some nice things and sometimes games are exciting, but too often it's dumb blunders/breakaways with Ronaldo/stupid "jockey" button mashing goals/bullcrap bounces etc. that undo your defense.

Football is the simple game, you don't need a combo of 4 buttons to pull off a move to evade a defender (the unresponsiveness of FIFA adds to the frustration).

It should be about timing, space, angles and clever movement off the ball, PES replicates this (even more so 5 yuears ago than today unfortunately)

Footbal and PES, easy to pick up and play, hard to master.

FIFA is trickery and jockey button bullcrap all over the pitch.

Sure :YAWN: You dont have ps3 dude :ZZZ: no more drugs for you.

quick evaluation..

i have a loan of pes 09 as i thought, fuck it, achievements, i still don't like this game as much, player movement,control. it is really bad but the ideas in this game are great like the modes and the link up with 3 other people online and play as ur own guy which is a good change.
i would enjoy this game more if they kept it like pes 6 for ps2, i rather enjoyed that game. whereas this game really lacks realism.

i would easily stick to fifa and to quote on what 'theCRO' said, i dont think hes even played football, he said football is simple game and go on to say
'Footbal and PES, easy to pick up and play, hard to master.

FIFA is trickery and jockey button bullcrap all over the pitch.'

fifa is easy to pick up and play, u have to master it and pes is bullcrap all over pitch, e.g. i halved someone who wasnt even on ball few times, i didnt get a warning, nor did play get stopped, no bookings , nout.

also 'become a legend' is shit as u have to wait for players to pass, the idea is nice, just alot of bugs/problems.

so yeah, konami fails this year yet again, going for the treble?

Hahaha pes5,6,2008,09 is just arcade game when we campare to fifa 09. Fifa 09 in console version is footy king anyway if you want or not...... i hate blind fanboys.We have 2009 year and we cant compare primitive pes5,6 to fifa 09 on xbox360 :D its like blackjack to gun :D Pes is history and dont cheat your self;].

Last edited:
i wouldn't compare pes 5-6 to fifa 09 as they were released different time and computer graphics and engine werent as good

but i had more fun with pes5-6 than any other footie game

but i would agree that newer pes have an arcade feel about it, like movement is my main problem with this :/

I don't bother with PES any more, thought 2008 was bad enough but 2009 was basically the same poor gameplay nonsense so I traded it in for FIFA 09.

Never thought I'd get hooked on a FIFA game again... saw the light, finally! :SHOCK:

i wouldn't compare pes 5-6 to fifa 09 as they were released different time and computer graphics and engine werent as good

but i had more fun with pes5-6 than any other footie game

but i would agree that newer pes have an arcade feel about it, like movement is my main problem with this :/

I still play PES5/WE9:LE.

The main reason is that the movement scheme in FIFA really bugs me, even at low speed and with moderately good players, they are so robotic and quick to turn with. Also they are so insanely good at trapping certain balls, which completely ruins the realism. And most matches in FIFA09 usually end up counterattack fests, where each team just passes forward constantly. I've never seen a match in FIFA that has slow build-up play. The game doesn't punish blind assaults from defenders over careful defending (since defenders are capable of getting a foot out to knock the ball off an attacker even when in the most ridiculous and unrealistic situations where a real player would have trouble standing up, not to mention extending his leg to knock the ball away. The game doesn't consider what leg is planted for support, and there is no timing involved.

The movement scheme needs alot of work, so that you have finer control over movements. Currently if you are in a tricky spot and tap any direction with the analog stick, the player will shove the ball quite far out in any direction. Slow dribble mode needs to be completely overhauled.

This needs to be possible: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZO1Y6RB2EE

And more focus needs to be given to the player manipulating the ball in various directions with his legs, rather than as now just running with the ball infront of his and turning his whole body even when you just want to shuffle the ball quickly from right to left like in the video.

Also the trapping system in FIFA09 needs an overhaul, since it is not possible to trap and turn in a direction. If you use LB to trap the player will trap and turn towards the opponents goal many times, but PES's R2 trap and turn feature would be sweet.

Freekicks are a joke in FIFA09, controls are very poor, and besides curl and power you can't really control much. Height control and power separated needs to be implemented, so that you need to properly judge how high you need to aim to clear a wall, but also how powerful the shot needs to be and how to curl it to get it to dip under the bar.
Freekick curl is completely botched, it doesn't even do anything to the initial part of the shot (above a certain speed it would seem), so if you try to shot a power freekick curled past the wall, the ball will just fly straight forward until maybe just before the goal, where it will start curling slightly.

Also the goalies need worsening even more, and made more random.

Shots in general are still waaay too slow, and the ballooning of shots is getting a bit old. Trajectories are better than in FIFA08 but are still odd looking at times. Almost only backspin shots are fired.

This needs to be possible, which is currently isn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9POhbsZr3s

Any longshots past 40 meters are almost always ballooning over the goal, and the balls loose way to much speed to air resistance at the end, it really reminds me of kicking a plastic ball, where the ball zooms off with alot of speed and then suddenly just stops mid air and slowly drops to the ground.

PES5 has alot less niggles currently.

I was pes5 and pes6 fanboy but after six weeks with fifa 09 on my xbox 360..... i love this game ( i am not blind and there is some frustrating bugs) and no more arcade and primitive pes6 or 5. I was impress pes5 long time ago but now is time to say ,, oldgen and nextgen pes is only primitive game after playing fifa 09 nextgen ,, I am not waiting for new phisics and graphics engine from Konami cuz they need more then one year to make it.

Sorry for my english anyway.

Last edited:
I don't bother with PES any more, thought 2008 was bad enough but 2009 was basically the same poor gameplay nonsense so I traded it in for FIFA 09.

Never thought I'd get hooked on a FIFA game again... saw the light, finally! :SHOCK:

that was me exactly. played pro evo since ISS on the playstation, played FIFA as well since FIFA96 on PC, FIFA NEVER compared to ISS, and FIFA went on to be absolute shite for years, fukin scorelines like 10-6 and gamplay jesus dont get me started, it was fukin teribble. Then PES goes 2008 then 2009 both big failures in my mind, if 2010 comes out with those bloody goal nets again im gonna hit somebody. Made the plunge to FIFA 09 PS3 and i was shocked, it was pretty good, still problems but deffently a foundation to work on, reminds me of earlier pro evo's, EA just need to clean up their menus their a bloody disgrace, it takes me 20mins to setup a champions league tornament with teams i want to add.
That said, WTF is the go with PC FIFA 09?????????????? ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME!!!!!!!! cos my one pet hate since going back to console is the lack of editing, so i decide to buy it on PC so i can open up that world again and the game is TOTALLY different!! WTF is the go with that??

that was me exactly. played pro evo since ISS on the playstation, played FIFA as well since FIFA96 on PC, FIFA NEVER compared to ISS, and FIFA went on to be absolute shite for years, fukin scorelines like 10-6 and gamplay jesus dont get me started, it was fukin teribble. Then PES goes 2008 then 2009 both big failures in my mind, if 2010 comes out with those bloody goal nets again im gonna hit somebody. Made the plunge to FIFA 09 PS3 and i was shocked, it was pretty good, still problems but deffently a foundation to work on, reminds me of earlier pro evo's, EA just need to clean up their menus their a bloody disgrace, it takes me 20mins to setup a champions league tornament with teams i want to add.
That said, WTF is the go with PC FIFA 09?????????????? ITS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAME!!!!!!!! cos my one pet hate since going back to console is the lack of editing, so i decide to buy it on PC so i can open up that world again and the game is TOTALLY different!! WTF is the go with that??

As opposed to KONAMI, EA Sports is treating PC gamers as 2nd rate citizens....

Hahaha pes5,6,2008,09 is just arcade game when we campare to fifa 09. Fifa 09 in console version is footy king anyway if you want or not...... i hate blind fanboys.We have 2009 year and we cant compare primitive pes5,6 to fifa 09 on xbox360 :D its like blackjack to gun :D Pes is history and dont cheat your self;].

Agree mate

Fifa 09 on nex-gen console is best football game ever and noone have to chance to beat fifa this year.

Yeah but if the average game is 15 minutes long, that's a whole 90 minute game condensed into that 15 mins. Of course the game is going to be faster than real life, you wouldn't have the time to have the same chances to score if it was played at the same pace as real life.

I agree the game should be slower, but these video comparisons are useless.

rolf you want compare video game speed with speed in tv ? lol silly idea .

+ different cameras

Yeah, FIFA 09 still has a few problems which infuriate me at times but they are nothing compared to the terribly scripted feel of recent PES games. The menus are one of those annoyances, they are very slow and unresponsive and setting up custom stuff is very time consuming (try editing a player - takes ages!). Also some of the game modes are fucked - interactive leagues for example doesn't work properly on the PS3 and as such getting the silver trophy for "Real World Winner" is an absolute pain.

But apart from that it's a brilliant game - iron out these faults for FIFA 2010 and EA have got a big win.

But PES has gone down the pan, I was a PES convert from FIFA after the absolutely awful (and bug-ridden) FIFA 2003 but PES seems to have gone like FIFA did back then.

Yeah, FIFA 09 still has a few problems which infuriate me at times but they are nothing compared to the terribly scripted feel of recent PES games. The menus are one of those annoyances, they are very slow and unresponsive and setting up custom stuff is very time consuming (try editing a player - takes ages!). Also some of the game modes are fucked - interactive leagues for example doesn't work properly on the PS3 and as such getting the silver trophy for "Real World Winner" is an absolute pain.

But apart from that it's a brilliant game - iron out these faults for FIFA 2010 and EA have got a big win.

But PES has gone down the pan, I was a PES convert from FIFA after the absolutely awful (and bug-ridden) FIFA 2003 but PES seems to have gone like FIFA did back then.

Its a good thing that KONAMIs quality has pushed EA to make a good Football game after so many years of failure....Lets hope that KONAMI makes a decent game to keep EA honest otherwise history will repeat itself.

I no longer play PES but really hope that it gets back to it's best this year. I missing it badly!

All this talk of Fifa09 being the best football game ever!? I find it strange. It's as if PES5 (ps2) never existed! For me Fifa09 is a good football game - certainly the best we've got on next-gen consoles - but it's still a long way off the brilliance of PES5. For all EA's hard work, Fifa is still a little soulless, and it hasn't come close to capturing the fun and unpredictability of matches in PES back in the PS2 days.

In my opinion, Fifa hasn't surpassed PES (at it's best, not pes2009) in certain areas:

1. Shooting - This is still too floaty in Fifa09, and lacks conviction. Anything apart from the slightest touch balloons over the bar, and shots from range just keep on rising as if the ball is filled with helium. Go back to PES5/6 and the shooting had a bit of weight to it. You could hit powerful shots from range and keep them down. Great goals ensued.

2. Dribbling - Even with some of the best players in Fifa09, it is still ridiculously difficult to dribble past/around an opponent at low speed. Good players in PES always used to be noticeable and they can weave in and out of defenders and retain possession. I think the reaction time in Fifa is still too slow to make dribbling effective.

3. Tackling - In Fifa I find you can just run into an opponent using defensive pressure and you can nick the ball back. It seems too easy and thoughtless. I always remember defending being an art in PES. In Fifa you just run into someone, which links to my above point about dribbling being a waste of time.

4. Player individuality - This has improved in Fifa, but not enough. One player still feels very much like another to me. Players just don't feel enough like their real-life counterparts, something PES always used to capture very well.

I'm sure people will strongly disagree with my points. Underneath I am still a massive PES fan and I just don't agree that Fifa is the fantastic football experience people talk of. Konami delivered this years ago and EA are still a long way off what PES achieved 4 or 5 years ago.

All great points there, I too miss the game and hope they get their groove back this year.

I miss the wide cam and FK's (shooting at goal not crossing) from ISS also, the feeling that I'd get whenever I perfectly bent a FK into the top corner with Pirlo, Ronny, Becks, Juninho and the Cannonball Kid (real life motion, no generic crap) was sweet.

Last edited:
PES still has the tempo of the game....but I got to say that FIFA has the brilliance of all-manual settings which (for me) is by far the truest representation of actually playing football. If KONAMI wants PES to be back on top they need to do something similar (forget using the right-stick for manual passing).

pes5,6 and other- typical arcade game after few days with fifa.

Fifa 09 (xbox360/ps3) - i must agree best fottball game ever.

pes5 was good game but no chance with fifa 09 nextgen.I see sentimental pesfanboys here;] I dont care what was better 4 years ago. Fifa09 is way,way better gameplay than oldgen or nextgen pes.Konami think that we are monkeys and we can play in the same game every year.

pes3-2009 - scripts from playstation 2 - it is ridiculous kONAMI !!!!!!!!.we need change!

Last edited:

pes5 was good game but no chance with fifa 09 nextgen.I see sentimental pesfanboys here;] I dont care what was better 4 years ago. Fifa09 is way,way better gameplay than oldgen or nextgen pes.

Enjoy your FIFA09 mate...no need to call names and project your insecurity...

pes5 was good game but no chance with fifa 09 nextgen.I see sentimental pesfanboys here;] I dont care what was better 4 years ago.

I would still rather play PES5 than Fifa09. PES5 is the best football game I've ever played and nothing has surpassed it. Fifa still can't recreate the magic of this game, for me.

Fifa09 is the best football game on a 'next-gen' console. But that's not much of an accolade when you look at the state of the competition.

Pes5 better than Fifa09 ? I cant agree mate but its your point of view

oldgen pes games ... you were young and ,,free,, - its a magic ? no thanks .

Last edited:
I can't play more in pes.For me and friends fifa 09 for ps3 console is best football game.I hope EA won't stop improve own game like Konami by years;/ Fifa engine have nice potencial and i hope to see better game every year but not important details.!

soorry for english

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom