Champions League Final - Who will you be supporting?

Champions League Final - Who will you be cheering on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
beboquintero said:
that I can not say,can you run fast...if so run tell your m8 to elbow your chest and tell us all
(Hopefully you see replay:Eboue has never dived to be fair,he`s not that talented)

HE DIVED!!!!!!!!

Talking about the referee, if we are to be really strict, in the goal disallowed to giuly, it should have been goal AND red card. Even if a play ends up in a goal, a red card can't be forgiven for it, so STRICTLY, it should have been 1-0 and sent off. I was referee of young kiddies and had to do some training, and in such situations what the rules say is that, but I understand that the referee would have been blamed if he had done the right thing and at the end he chosed the worst possible decission for the attacking team.

Great match of Henry, he was MVP alongside Larsson. Iniesta should have been a starting player. At the end, I think whatever the result it would have been fair, both teams did all they could.

Oui are the Champions!!!!!!

Yeah I've said it all already Drekkard, the ref was piss poor in this match and I for one am glad this guy is not gonna be refing a world cup match.

But at the end of the day, the last thing any Arsenal fan or Thierry Henry should do is WHINE about the ref and say that he was biased or they got screwed since if you really look at it deeply enough and remember each occassion, it was the other way around and it is Barca who has a much BIGGER case to be pissed off at this ref and complain about it than them!

Last edited:
Exactly, when Arsenal went 1-0 up I thought how can this happen, Barca should be 1-0 up

If for example in a match where the ref gives an advantage when a foul happens and lets the play carry on to see what develops he will then, after the advantage either give a word or book the player that committed the original foul to allow the advantage (I hope that makes sense) So why didnt this happen!!

Poor officating to say the least

Yes exactly. Some of my friends who are Arsenal fans have already admitting to all this, sadly some want to argue and say we were screwed by ref :lol:

The fact is the dumb referee STOLE a pure LEGIT goal Barca scored (According to rules of football, I won't get in too deep as I don't want this to turn into another long post) and if that wasn't enough, ALSO the goal Arsenal scored should've never happened as it wasn't a foul (and maybe should've also given Eboue a 2nd yellow for a blatent dive even if his first reckless high challenge on Gio didn't deserve a straight red :roll:) so you tell me who was screwed Mr. Henry and Wenger?!?!? :lol:

Last edited:
I didnt like the way Barca players always crowd ref and make card gesture, it's immature - they are a good side who play good enough football they don't need to make these unsporting gestures.

Man, I didn't see unsporting gestures by barcelona players. In fact, they could have been really angry with the referee. And I watch as many arsenal players diving as barcelona players. The only thing Arsenal fans can say it's Puyol and Marquez deserved a yellow, and it's true. But then again Eboue deserved a straight red and after he dived theatrically, and in the second half he tackled ronaldinho in what should have been a 2nd yellow. So, stop talking about the referee! I think barça players were as sporting as arsenal players.

You just lost and it hurts, because your men did an impressive effort. And I honour them for it, but Barcelona also deserved the win. It's always better to recognize it was a passionate final and both teams could have won, independantly of the referee, and at the end barcelona had luck in the 2nd goal.

Yep and I agree it's enough talk about the referee and how crap he was[/b now and how some of his decisions fucked both sides and what could've been an even far better and more entertaining game to watch for the supporters of both clubs as well as the "neutral' :/

So let's concentrate on the "Football part" now since all that could've been and should've been said about the damn ref has already been said by us in this page and previous one.
I personally don't often talk about "Refs" much drekkard and concentrate more on the "Football" side of things and what we see on the pitch from the 22 players.
The only reason this time I even got involved in it was because I saw the OPPOSITE of truth being said by Henry after the match and some other Arsenal fans after match. That's why. ;)

Now regarding the match itself, I can't be bothered rephrasing so here's just copy/paste from what I said on my thread:

PLF said:
Yeah no doubt Larsson substitution was a great one as JG also mentioned.

Another one was "Belletti"! I really like "Oleguer"! This guy is your typical guy who doesn't get the praise/respect he deserves by "Casual fans" (we all hate so much) because he's not the flashiest/most technical of guys and he plays SB when really he's more like a CB! BUT I like him a lot and he's very well under-rated!

However, in a match like today's where Barca needed to start risking more things and especially being a man up at around min 55th, they needed to push a bit more forward through their fullbacks and so I was calling for "Belletti" to come instead of Oleguer as his quality of crosses are usually better as well as he's more attack-minded of course and will be more likely to provide Barca with the movement they need to get a goal back! (At this time they were down 1-0 remember).

So Rijkaard finally did what I was calling for since around 55th minute but for him it was at min 70 which nearly came too late but at the end, he got the job done anyway!

I also was surprised Iniesta wasn't in from the begining and a bit disappointed about that but in 2nd half he came in and stamped his mark on the game with his usual quality.

Henry also had a very good game (Despite that one-on-one with Valdes which seems to be sadly only thing some people remember now :/ and Ljungberg did quite well as well with blistering runs that troubled Oleguer and other members of Barca side at times. Sol also did well and of course it was not his fault the foul should've never happened. He still did what he should've great by beating Oleguer to the ball and scoring a nice header. :)

Last edited:
not too much to say about the game, felt the refs decision for the sending off was poor, it was pretty obvious giuly was going to be unchallenged for the ball so why pull play back for a free kick? a good example is our semi final against the chavs last season when the ref admited he could've given the penalty and sent chech off but let play run on and gave a (so called dubious) goal

apart from that i felt henry had 2 great chances and if he'd have put away the 2nd one early in the 2nd half then arsenal would've gone on to win it, he missed and it was only a matter of time before barca wore them down and felt they were worth the win in the end

viera must be smiling from turin :p

lol deco is fast becoming a seedorf 1 more!

iniesta what a player!

well done barca, the best team one! barca should not buy henry, invest in a quality dmf and right back! i think oleguer needs to be shot!

Like I said at the time of the first goal, if Arsenal went on to win 1-0, imagine how pissed Barca fans would have been for their disallowed goal.
It was only right that they kept their heads up and attacked for the whole 90 mins which rewarded them with 2 important goals in the end.

Firstly congrats to Barca they won it fair and square, but the game was never the game everyone hoped for . The ref caused that tho it wasnt really his fault as he was forced into the sending off, he had no other choice. I just wish like most people it was 11 v 11, but it wasnt and thats fair enough. Belive me I hate to say this but if it wasnt for Larsson Barca would never have one, he came on and changed the game. Excuse the typing as im pished, but again congrats Barca, I can have no real reason to complain that Arsenal were "cheated". I really wanted Arsenal to win but it wasnt to happen, I was surprised that Arsenal were even in a positio to win the game tbh.

PLF said:
I'm sorry dude to disagree but in my opinion you're talking flat out crap!!

How the hell do you know they would've come back? Are you a fortune-teller? I can easily say with Barca's goal that SHOULD have stood but didn't and Barca up 1-0, they would've been more calm and in control and maybe scored 2 more and thrash them 3-0! Does that mean it was gonna happen?

No so for argument's purposes and to stay and have an intelligent discussion let's not talk about what didn't happen.. let's talk about what DID happen thanks to stupid ref as Yogui said!

1. Barca scored a great legitimate goal only for it to be RULED out thanks to stupid referee because somebody was fouled! This is UNjust for Barcelona more so than Arsenal since it didn't even give them a PK, it gave them a FK!!

2. Arsenal's goal should've NEVER happened anyway since that there was NO foul whatsoever from Puyol on Eboue. In fact if the ref had been on top of his game again, he would've given Eboue a 2nd yellow card for a blatent dive and sent him off!!

So the fact is you can try to make Arsenal sound like a hero for playing up to 75 mins with 10 man and a goal up but in reality they shouldn't have been up 1-0, they shoudl've been LOSING 1-0 so no they're no heroes! they got the best of ref's decisions and at the end it still didn't help!!!

There is just no point in arguing with some people is there?

Arsenal surprised, till the sending off they were great. As a matter of fact they played the kind of football Barcelona normally plays.
And then the ref lost it: one stroke of genius from Ronaldinho (that pass) the foul by Lehmann and the goal. I don't understand why he did not validate that goal...The new rule for refs clearly is "wait and see". He shoould have let advantage, validate the goal and then sent off Lehmann (how unlucky for Pires).
About Eboué (for me the revalation of this CL): he clearly dived...if you don't see that you either have lettuce in your eyes or you need glasses...
As a matter of fact, as much as i like Eboué, he should have been sent off for that dive (second yellow) or in the second half for that two footed tackle.
I must say i have to admire the coolness of Barcelona, all the refs decisions were against them (except for Henry's yellow card, that hardly was a foul) and still they did not complain and kept on playing.
And then Iniesta and Larsson came on, they were great...To me Henke was the man of the match...two great assists...once again he clearly proved that he is one of the best strikers in the world.
About Henry: i'm disappointed by his reaction but to me he played a great match (just like Ljungberg)...he was alone upfront and yet he was a constant thread for the Barcelona defense...Ljungberg was even better, the way he made runs from deep down his own half was fantastic....

To Arsenal fans: stop moaning, you should be proud of your team they played very, very good and they showed yesterday that they can win the CL. Just be patient, that stroke of genius and the expulsion of Lehmann while Arsenal were clearly the better team was bad luck in a way...

But in the end Barcelona's win was well deserved.

I think it was a good match with outstanding performances from Ljungberg, Henry, Iniesta, Valdes, and Larsson.
Ronaldinho was not that brilliant but he played tactically superb...he went "walkabout" which created space for Iniesta, Larsson and others...

Could the ref have allowed the goal AND sent Lehman off? Cause Lehmen was sent off for preventing a goal scoring chance...had the goal stood then he wouldn't have prevented a goal scoring chance, so would it have been right to still send him off? I'm not contesting the sending off, it was deserved cause Barca didn't get to score.

Last edited:
In the end, Barca deserved the win for their extra quality in the form
of the 3 subs (Iniesta, Larsson, Belletti)...
They are the best team in Europe this season.

Henry is definitely leaving, can't see him staying....
it's a big season of change at Arsenal....

I think if he played on after Lehman incident, he would have got a yellow card. But I saw A. Cole telling the referee that he had blown the whistle and it wasn't a goal LOL!
But isn't it a rule that if it is a RED CARD incident, the game has to be stopped, and also ws Guily offisde by anychance when Eto'O let go of the abll?

Nah, giuly was behind eto'o when the ball passed through lehmann, so the goal was valid.

The new rules for the referee is to let the game continue, just like the new offside rule. You have to wait till the player gets the ball. The referee should have waited before blowing the whistle.

Oh ok, cheers.
I think RoniD's passes where deadly some times. They played Eto'o out on the left, and then he just comes into the middle without Arsenal noticing, that was good tactics.

You know when Barca kicked the ball out of play for Henry going down, although it was late, Arsenal didn't return the ball, what do you think of that?

Maybe putting Campbell and Cole wasn't such a good idea...
Why did wenger put them even though Senderos and Flamini had played most of the C1 games.?

SPiTFiRE said:
It's really a shame, I'm FC Barcelona and Benfica supporter because of my family, but I hope Arsenal won this game for stfu the Catalonian midia.

Aye, and I'll be singing the sash in the broomloan stand next season.

Foxy - Your having a laugh about that Irish and Celtic thing right? You do know what team you support right?

Anyways as for the game:-

I think Arsenal put up a spirited fight. Can't really say how the game was going to turn out after the sending off. Personally he should've left him on and had Barca up 1-0, nothing would've been said.

As for Henry bleeting, that was poor. Actually I thought him and Eboue where diving all over the place and play acting (which isn't like Henry). As for Henry's performance, I actually thought he played really well. Barca had a lot of players having a bad night, especially poor old Ronnie.

Barca's 1st is hard to tell, I heard the panelists on Sky saying it was on-side, I thought it was a really tough call, at first sight I thought he was offside. Apart from that I can't actually remember any other woeful decisions, with the exception of 2 in favour of Arsenal i.e. blatant dive by Eboue who should've been book and the other being Eboue's baw-bag height tackle on a Barca player (Edmilson or Gio was it?), straight red for me, Henry even took him aside to tell him to calm it.

FD

fd1972uk said:
Aye, and I'll be singing the sash in the broomloan stand next season.

Foxy - Your having a laugh about that Irish and Celtic thing right? You do know what team you support right?

The question put to me was "Where is your Scottish pride?"

I found it ironic that the question was aimed at me. I'm immensely proud to be Scottish and British.

Where's the same pride amongst Celtic's support? Minimal. Absolute minimal.
When was the last time a saltire was waved amongst the Celtic support without it being quickly removed?

EDIT - Classic. I thought Keane made his debut against Clyde?

Last edited:
At Man Utd at the testimonial. Ooops, try again mate. ;)

I've got a workmate who supports Rangers and hopes Scotland gets beat, not 'isn't bothered' but 'hopes they get beat'. I do agree though that there are Celtic fans out there that don't have time for Scotland. I support Scotland whoever they play, I still say that the Rep cheated us at hampden many moons ago with a free-kick taken from the wrong place where I think Lawrenson scored against us if I remember right.

FD

p.s. Let's not get silly with the Clyde and Keane thing, you know fine well we where away from home.

Last edited:
fd1972uk said:
At Man Utd at the testimonial. Ooops, try again mate. ;)

Do you have a picture of this lonely Scotland flag?

celtic-fans-keane-testimonial.jpg

Your having a go at Celtic for having Irish flags and not being 'Scottish'. It's just the same really. I've seen countless Rangers fans wearing England shirts. I don't want to get into a sectarian debate over it all, I just think the Old Firm are as bad as each other when it comes to these things.

Back
Top Bottom