Champions League Final - Who will you be supporting?

Champions League Final - Who will you be cheering on?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nobody talked about the referee...?
I personnaly think he was total crap. Not just because Arsenal lost, fair enough, it's the game, and you can't change it.
Someone has to lose anyway.

But all his decisions were wrong :
Giving a red card to lehmann when he could have let the game continue and giuly scored for sure... We would have had a whole better game, not just defense from Arsenal.
The free kick for Arsenal, giving Campbell's goal, is coming from nowhere!!?

And that's just a small part.
I think the referee was aboslutely terrible, plus he isn't in the world cup.

Henry had his chances but did not put them in.
I'm just sad for Pires, coz it was his last game and he didn't deserve to get out like this. It must have been a hard one for him, after all he's done and given to the team.

If Henry leaves, after Vieira, Pires, Wiltord, Bergkamp, it's going to be the end of Arsenal like we used to know it. :(

Last edited:
scottish_carson said:
I do know quite a few actually, and there was a discussion about it on Radio 1 this morning, and the only 2 people who were supporting Barca were Man Yoo fans. It's the same at my school. Everyone who cared wanted an Arsenal win....the only person who didn't was a Man Utd fan. Man Utd fans do have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to other teams being succesful. I think it may be down to the fact they've done nada since 99 really. Well, won the league I think (not to sure, don't follow English football). but that's it.
If that was true, why were we supporting Liverpool (who are bigger rivals than Arsenal) when they beat Milan? :roll:
Other than Henry and maybe Fabregas, I dont really see anything in Arsenal that would make me like them. Normally I'd naturally support the English side in a situation like this but Arsenal dont even feel like an English team.

scottish_carson said:
Henry hit the nail on the head when he said that the better team hadn't won.

Barca deserved to win, cause they finnished the match with more goals than Arsenal. BUT the better side was the team that was playing with 10 men for most of the match and held on untill the 75th minute.
Barca deserved to win but Arsenal were the better team? That dont even make sense. You only deserve to win a game if you were the better side.
And that was clearly Barca cuz they had much more possession, more chances, and their goals were the result of this.
People wanted Arsenal to win for the manner that they got to the final, not because of the way they played in the final itself. And this is true because the poll on this thread was in favour of Arsenal before the match had even started.

Yogui said:
If Henry leaves, after Vieira, Pires, Wiltord, Bergkamp, it's going to be the end of Arsenal like we used to know it. :(

agree with you.
i loved 2-tops of bergkamp and henry, but now its over...
v. persie x reyes 2-tops needs more training...

Barca nearly got screwed by the ref's horrible decisions and Henry is complaining that the ref was biased in favour of "Barca"??!? :shock: :eek:

All I can say is: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I love Henry but he must go and watch the game on video a 2nd time carefully when he has a cool head and he'll realize when it came to major decisions, the ref almost SCREWED Barca and Arsenal nearly became undeserved champs!

Barca has every right to go and complain about the ref after match now but I'm sure they won't bother since they got the job done despite of it and they'll just be partying! :p
popoia said:
Here is what Henry had to say about the game -- and unfortunately it isn't pretty. It's a shame a player of his caliber reveals himself to be no less than a whiner, a sore loser if you will. Perhaps, he ought to take a 2nd look at the Joga Bonita commercials he participated in. Anyways...

Furious Henry hits out at referee (from the BBC)

Arsenal captain Thierry Henry was disgusted with referee Terje Hauge's display as his side's Champions League hopes were ended by Barcelona in Paris.

"I was kicked all over the place. Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez should have got yellow cards," he said. "To defend against me with a yellow card - it's not the same game any more. I expected the referee to do his job. I don't think he did."

Henry said Hauge had been right to send off Gunners keeper Jens Lehmann for a professional foul on Samuel Eto'o after 18 minutes.

"It was a clear sending-off for Jens but if they didn't want us to win, just should have just said it from the start," he said. "It was more than difficult. Next time I'm going to learn how to dive maybe."

Last edited:
hope someone does ronaldinho's dentist a favour and knock them fooking teeth out the moaning prick

You misunderstand.

Barca deserved to win because of the fact they scored more goals. Simple.

Arsenal were the better team because they played with 10 mean for so long, and came so close. They played with the spirit of a winning side, but they didn't score more because of fatigue. If Lehman had no been dismissed, and the goal stood, Arsenal would have came back. If Henry had that little bit of energy, then he would have stuck it in the back of the net.

It's all ifs and buts though.

We'll just agree to disagree.

scottish_carson said:
You misunderstand.

Barca deserved to win because of the fact they scored more goals. Simple.

Arsenal were the better team because they played with 10 mean for so long, and came so close. They played with the spirit of a winning side, but they didn't score more because of fatigue. If Lehman had no been dismissed, and the goal stood, Arsenal would have came back. If Henry had that little bit of energy, then he would have stuck it in the back of the net.

It's all ifs and buts though.

We'll just agree to disagree.
I'm sorry dude to disagree but in my opinion you're talking flat out crap!!

How the hell do you know they would've come back? Are you a fortune-teller? I can easily say with Barca's goal that SHOULD have stood but didn't and Barca up 1-0, they would've been more calm and in control and maybe scored 2 more and thrash them 3-0! Does that mean it was gonna happen?

No so for argument's purposes and to stay and have an intelligent discussion let's not talk about what didn't happen.. let's talk about what DID happen thanks to stupid ref as Yogui said!

1. Barca scored a great legitimate goal only for it to be RULED out thanks to stupid referee because somebody was fouled! This is UNjust for Barcelona more so than Arsenal since it didn't even give them a PK, it gave them a FK!!

2. Arsenal's goal should've NEVER happened anyway since that there was NO foul whatsoever from Puyol on Eboue. In fact if the ref had been on top of his game again, he would've given Eboue a 2nd yellow card for a blatent dive and sent him off!!

So the fact is you can try to make Arsenal sound like a hero for playing up to 75 mins with 10 man and a goal up but in reality they shouldn't have been up 1-0, they shoudl've been LOSING 1-0 so no they're no heroes! they got the best of ref's decisions and at the end it still didn't help!!!

How has fatigue got to do with anything? If you're tired, you're just not good enough. Thats not something to blame, its something you work on.
What a lame excuse.

drunkenmonkey said:
hope someone does ronaldinho's dentist a favour and knock them fooking teeth out the moaning prick

Well he plays with a smile on his face except for tonight,

Deserved winners.

PLF said:
I'm sorry dude to disagree but in my opinion you're talking flat out crap!!

How the hell do you know they would've come back? Are you a fortune-teller? I can easily say with Barca's goal that SHOULD have stood but didn't and Barca up 1-0, they would've been more calm and in control and maybe scored 2 more! does that mean it was gonna happen?

No so let's not talk about what didn't happen.. let's talk about what DID happen thanks to stupid ref as Yogui said!

You're right, but you've got to admit, that you can't know for sure that Arsenal wouldn't have scored anyway, they've done so much things this year that nobody ever thought they would do that you can't be certain.

The game's over, too bad we had terrible decision, like i said, if the referee hadn't blown it all, it would have surely been a whole better game.

Now it's over, barca won, and better luck next time for the gooners, hopefully with the same team.

@yogui, I'm not saying Arsenal wouldn't have scored! I'm saying we don't know WHAT would have happened so to say Arsenal would have come back with certainty like this guy did is as stupid and invalid of an argument as is a Barca fan saying if Barca's goal would've stood we would have go on and win 20-0!

So rather I chose to talk about what DID happen instead of what didn't and we don't know about. And what DID happen was Arsenal get a lot of major decisions their way. Too bad Thierry won't know it till he watches the tape again and find out the ref he just complained about nearly screwed Barca out of the title! :lol:

Last edited:
RuneEdge said:
How has fatigue got to do with anything? If you're tired, you're just not good enough. Thats not something to blame, its something you work on.
What a lame excuse.

well said mate, you can be tired and still score that easy chance that henry had, he has NO excuse whatsoever, he should of scored no doubt..

how did they NEARLY get screwed....replay shows Eboue got hit on the chest w/puyol elbow not on purpose,everyone looks at leg and foot or disallowed goal(I wish the goal would`ve counted,it easier 11 on 11)

beboquintero said:
how did they NEARLY get screwed....replay shows Eboue got hit on the chest w/puyol elbow not on purpose,everyone looks at leg and foot or disallowed goal(I wish the goal would`ve counted,it easier 11 on 11)
C'mon dude we're all adults here let's put the biasedness aside. Believe me I like Arsenal and Thierry Henry (even though he's whining for no reason right now) just as much as Barca and their stars.

Fact is I tell it as I see it and so stop telling me what "everybody" does! Everyone may look at feet and leg, I looked at everything and that reply 2-3 times and me and everyone I saw it with and know agrees that was NEVER a foul!!

I mean the contact made was sooooo slight that I have harder body contacts than that when I walk down the street! :lol:
To play CL football and try to get a foul out of the most "Minimal" of contacts is a joke that's why it was never a foul in my opinion!

Eboue made a couple of nice moves in that particular instance that fooled Puyol and he had him TOTALLY beat! If he wanted, he could've RACED past him with speed as he had already dicked him out (done the hard part). Instead he chose to go to the ground and sold it well so ref made a mistake and gave Arsenal a BS foul that resulted in the goal!!

So you wanna know how Barca nearly got screwed? By fact that they should've been up 1-0 for majority of match yet they were losing 1-0 thanks to ref until they took care of business with 2 goals that this time ref could do nothing about!

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Arsenal, they play great football but a poor referee tonight meant the world never got the chance to see the dream final as it should have been played.

The referee did not cost Arsenal the game though, if anything his decisions helped them (chops off Giuly goal, gives non-existent foul for Arsenal opener, takes no action on Eboue's reckless two-footed tackle when he is already on a yellow card in the second-half, etc). Henry had the chance to KILL Barca, he fluffed it.

Forget your Henry and Ronny, only one man made all the difference tonight - THE KING OF KINGS! I love you Henrik!!!

Metallica said:
If he gets it in the chest then why go down like the way he did ?
Not as though you lose your balance if you get brushed past by an elbow in the chest.
that I can not say,can you run fast...if so run tell your m8 to elbow your chest and tell us all
(Hopefully you see replay:Eboue has never dived to be fair,he`s not that talented)

bebo, I know as a fan it must hurt (trust me, I've experienced it). Eboue dived, absolutely clearly, Puyol does not touch him, it's Eboue who tries to grab Puyol and fabricate the contact. You can see later on as well when Eboue was fouled, he rolls over on the ground 4 or 5 times, he knows how to dive.

Exactly! That made me laugh too he rolled about 4-5 times but on the instance that they got the foul from Barca, it really wasn't necessary, he WANTED the foul in fact he had already GONE past Puyol with skill and speed, he could've kept running yet he didn't! He decided it's smarter to "Act it out and sell it" so ref gives foul and it paid off for them! :roll: (Since as resulting FK, Campbell scored!)

Man this is hillarious and ironic because Henry and Wenger who complained about ref are gonna go home and watch this game on tape when they got a "cool" head and then they'll realize, they've just made a fool out of themselves by complaining about a ref whose decisions nearly screwed Barcelona and handed them the title!! :lol:

Like I said though Barca won't be complaining about ref even though they have actually a bigger case for it than Arsenal, they won't mind now. They'll just go and enjoy this!

Last edited:
beboquintero said:
that I can not say,can you run fast...if so run tell your m8 to elbow your chest and tell us all
(Hopefully you see replay:Eboue has never dived to be fair,he`s not that talented)

Knock it off mate, it was at slightiest contact, plus it was ardly an "elbow" was it. As PLF says you get harder contact by walking into someone off the street! :lol:

Last edited:
Barca have been very lucky this season. Strange decisions, red cards for opponents, the Milan offside goal, and the disgrace of the first leg in the Da Luz (Benfica should have a clear penalty for hand ball).

They are a good side, but indeed they have had a huge amount of luck.

I hope Arsenal stays together, I'm not their fan but they and Benfica have played the best football to watch in the competition this year (except Villareal 2nd game) and I hope both go far next season.

Back
Top Bottom