2010 FIFA World Cup

I've been yelling at the screen over this for some time now. The AI 'catch-up' phenomenon occurs far too often and has for the past few years. In my qualifying stage, particularly when away, the AI gets into this, 'ok it's time to score' mode and will either play in a crazy header or land a ridiculous shot perfectly. They may slow down, but if I score again they often will too right away.

As for the passing bug- It happens to me mostly if I have a player near sideline running perpendicular and try to pass somewhat behind a player near the box where there are acres of space for the ball to be safely played. I'll even hold straight up to try to make sure it will go into this safe area. But, it's clearly scripted as it works 0% percent of the time. I do not believe they should do completely away assisted elements as the game will simply become 'who can fill up the bar the best'; there still needs to be randomness associated with stats (of who's on the ball, who's pressuring that person etc). To not ever be able to make this pass in 3 different iterations is inexcusable and downright lazy.

Yep, the much discussed rubber-banding EA swear is not there yet unless you are some deluded fan-boy it's quite obvious when the switch goes on. I know this is one of the hardest things to programme into the game but does it have to be so blatant as it often is?...

With the passing, do you mean that you aim at a player, but the pass goes in front of the player, which tends to be where a defender is positioned? This is something I've been annoyed at for a while. I use semi passing so I expect to be able to angle the pass behind my receiver so he has to stop to get the ball, but have found the pass still going in front of him.

I mean exactly that, ya.

WTF! Finally qualified a team (norway) and it come uo and said that 'norway have been eliminated'? So what, i don't even get to progress to the world cup?

Is there any way to play qualifying AND the world cup finals without the friendliest?

Yea, I choose 'Qualify' - something definitely going on.

Only thing I can think of (because actually, once the World Cup was 'over' I looked at the group stages and I didnt actually qualify), was that even though I finished 2nd in the Qualifying Group, I wasnt one of the 'best runners up' to go through to the European Playoffs - thats the only thing I can think of.

Pretty poor explanation in-game though?

Yeah it must be that - actually in real life Norway was also the worst 2nd place team and so didn't make the play-offs.

If WC2010 is all about graphics and presentation...would anyone here know if the impending DLC will include boots updates as well? Cheers..

Couldn't give a shit about little digital boots. It's not as if you can even tell when actually ingame. I despair at this. I honestly do. I find it so laughable that people are really bothered about it. It's not a big deal!!! Just my opinion of course.

Got this game yesterday. Have had a few matches with it now both single player in Qualification mode and with a couple friends.

Seems to be a better version of FIFA10 which was already something I was happy with gameplay of (though of course not perfect) and loads of fun.

Really impressed with the game so far but it's still too early to judge properly.

Okay played some more and this game r0cks!! :BOP: :WORSHIP:

Love the modes too! Captain your country! Every footballer's dream!
And the Story of qualifying seems VERY cool as well. Never seen anything like it.

Great to be in a scenario on weird AFrican pitch 77th minute, needing a goal with Nigeria against Kenya, got a PK in 90th minute!! Missed it tho. :P

Great PK system as well. Finally challenging and much more 'depth'.

I'm very impressed by EA. If they manage to fix the manager mode for FIFA11 and hopefully make a couple nice changes to BAP mode like they have here with extra stats, etc. in Captain your club, I'll be a very happy man.

p.s. The new 'co-op' cam seems interesting as well...

As usual with the FIFA series from since FIFA 08: the game is better than the previous one while you control the ball. Awesome, in fact, and the best in history to this regard. But, at the same time, every installment has worse AI and positioning than the previous one.

Weird.

I think the dribbling is superb now, I really do. Some of the stuff I've been pulling off recently using just the left stick and the defender's momentum is awesome. I pulled off an immense move with Ronaldo in my Portuguese WC game vs Turkey - out on the right touchline, stopping the ball with my right foot with L1 to avoid a slide tackle across me, pressing R2 and putting my left foot on the ball, dragging it back from the body on the floor (no he isn't dead), and then pulling it infield to dodge a second tackler who was inches away. Thought about saving it but I've not got any spare slots..

It's not just the star players though, Chris (or is he a Kris?) Commons is doing a hell of a job for me on the Scottish left. He's only a 70 but he's holding his own, being a right menace in a direct, no nonsense fashion.

The problem with the game is chiefly defensive positioning, but also some dodgy trapping logic which overrides your own button/direction presses. The game is crap at telling whether you are going to get to the ball first, and also where exactly you should meet a ball on it's trajectory. So you can find your man being pulled out of position to chase a lost cause.

I do know that these issues are being/have been looked at, following some PMage with some of the devs. If anyone does have issues they want to raise though (as an example, I've pointed out some free kick sweet spots and recommended that wall/gk positioning should alter according to the footedness of the FK taker) then please post them here and I'll pass them on ASAP. There's not much time left for new fixes on top of what they've already committed to, but they do have a list of 'dev tasks' that they add to when feedback comes in. It's possible your issue has already been highlighted but if not then it'd do a world of good if you saved a video of it happening and described what is wrong vs what would be right.

Last edited:
Well, my main issues are things most of us know and the devs should know, but I doubt they listen too much because most of the problems were already in fifa 09. You know them as well because we've talked about them before: Always big distance between lines, opponents unmarked all the time, specially in the area, impossibility to intercept passes, terrible positioning, defenders simply going away of the ball, players unawareness, only one player going for the ball even if there's another in a better position, lack of subtelty in how you tackle, impossibility to shield the ball automatically by simply turning, decrease strength and the way players are always on the floor, have a yellow card everytime someone just runs on you like a train, clearing the ball always goes to the same spot, AI pressure, AI "magic" crossing...

These are the main ones. If they fix 75% of them and with the current state of the engine, we have an instant classic in our hands.

Are EA aware of the problem with the wrong teams going through to the next round? I think its because of the goal difference not being taken into account. This is a huge bug. Played a tourney lasy night witha couple of mates. Its the first time ive had to show off the game to them. So we had some beer and doritos and played out a tourny. But it was ruined when 1 of us didnt qualify because the goal difference was taken into account.

Couldn't give a shit about little digital boots. It's not as if you can even tell when actually ingame. I despair at this. I honestly do. I find it so laughable that people are really bothered about it. It's not a big deal!!! Just my opinion of course.

You are right but if they "can" make the kits, boots etc. perfect detailed like KONAMI does why don't they "make" them detailed and perfect.
I think the boots are good at the moment maybe not too much selection but OK.
At kits they are horrible just look at the font on the back of the kits and they didn't make all real WC kits although they have the licenses - and these things are noticable. I think if KONAMI had this licenses they would have made the kits in 2 minutes perfectly.Nevertheless FIFA is better at all but at the point "detail" KONAMI is much better.

EA insist that they implement what's given to them by the kitmakers. They've posted proof as well in the past. With the Spanish navy blue kit, for example, the design they were given had red lettering and numbers on the back, when in fact it should be yellow. I don't know whether EA are doing this part of the process too early and are getting sent stuff that is liable to change, rather than finalised designs. In any case there's clearly something Konami are doing that EA aren't.

If anyone does have issues they want to raise though (as an example, I've pointed out some free kick sweet spots and recommended that wall/gk positioning should alter according to the footedness of the FK taker) then please post them here and I'll pass them on ASAP. There's not much time left for new fixes on top of what they've already committed to, but they do have a list of 'dev tasks' that they add to when feedback comes in. It's possible your issue has already been highlighted but if not then it'd do a world of good if you saved a video of it happening and described what is wrong vs what would be right.

http://www.easportsfootball.co.uk/media/play/video/20276959

In this clip you can see that I cross the ball, only my player and 1 of the defenders goes for the ball, the ball comes back off the bar, I'm locked onto my player, no one tries to tackle my player, surrounded by defenders in the box I've got time to chest the ball down and take a shot (terrible shot I know )

Something really needs to be done about defending and attcking crosses

Back
Top Bottom