2010 FIFA World Cup

Was or wasn't?

Was it the finals?

wasnt, sorry, typo error. it was finals/group stage. I, as usa, should have gone thru to the last 16. And even was shown as 2nd in my group but was eliminted and the 3rd placed team went thru instead. pts tally was equal but i had better goal difference. This is not the first time ive seen this bug. Happens with the cpu controlled teams too

The poll is all you really need to check out: http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/world-cup-dev-team-lobby/1118477-june-database-update.html

Sounds like a really half-assed fix to the balance issue. I agree that the 5* teams are too fast and strong but are EA going to put every team on a completely level playing field with this update? Teams like South Korea should probably get waxed by a squad like England or Brasil, but it should be due to skill and not their ability to run as fast as, and for as long as the other team.

Maybe if they make this fix, attributes like passing, shooting, trapping, etc., will actually be shown to be far less important in this game than they should be if every team is suddenly able to hang with everyone else.

This whole "Make poor teams faster/stronger" shit is silly though. No, make each national team as strong and fast as they're supposed to be. Realistically, there aren't too many teams who would have problems keeping up with another squad when it comes to strength and speed. It also feels like (though I haven't played the full game) the physicality aspect of the game and the foul calling could do with a tweak once they level out the speed and strength issues.

Last edited:
@ Nick,

Could you post the following argument on my behalf, or as your own, as I can't log in with my account and I can't be bothered to go through it all again.

@ Mr Humber,

You do realise that out of the 5 "options" half of them are pretty meaningless. I guess it's sympthomatic of the level of football understanding shown by EA that they consider the options of making a good team slower or a bad team faster are actually meaningfull differences. The end result will be the same! Same goes for strength! Gameplaywise you essentially have 3 options, No Change, Make speed differences less or physical differences less.

Honestly, I really do despair at what I am seeing with what was a potentially brilliant game(engine)! You can't even seem to get basics like qualification rules correct or put out non bug ridden modes and now you are proposing global editing to stats?! What is the point of having stat editors when you are going to mess it all up anyway?!

Here is some football insight you seem to be lacking, or atleast those who call the shots; football is about tactically overcoming differences between teams and players! Not about making every team a generic copy of whichever base set of stats you consider appropriate! Do you really think that making teams like Iran and Brazil more alike is the way to go?! Why, so people who want to play as Iran don't need to have any tactical insight in to football and should just be able to pick it up, kick a ball about and win?!

I thought the whole concept of FIFA this generation was to make it the most comprehensive simulation of football on the back of the most advanced physics engine! It seems you are going down the commercial route. Which will eventually, like the previous generation, see the franchise be second best and derided by anyone with game/football knowledge.

Good work!

Let me get this straight - EA want to make the teams feel more alike? :CONFUSE:

So the only way they differentiate quality is speed and strength?

Make the players as quick and as strong as they should be in real-life and then work on the attributes that really matter - control, technique, response, positioning, passing & shooting accuracy. These are the things that separate a world class team from a poor team.

Sounds to me as though EA are pandering to the online crowd that wants everything to be homogenised.

This is why I gave up on FIFA, I just can't see them going in the direction I want. The potential is there but they don't seem to get it. They want to please the casuals and "gamers" and ignore the football simulation lovers.

This is why I gave up on FIFA, I just can't see them going in the direction I want. The potential is there but they don't seem to get it. They want to please the casuals and "gamers" and ignore the football simulation lovers.

This. FIFA is further down the line than PES but FIFA needs to add things which aren't mechanical to improve the game while its a technology issue with the other.

From actually reading the first page or so of that thread it seems that people have been complaining that the lesser rated teams are currently made too weak and slow, hence this vote to judge whether people feel this is enough of an issue to be addressed.

It's frustrating to see so many people complain about how EA will never move towards being more of a sim. Hopefully once the NDA lifts people will stop judging FIFA based on a World Cup game aimed at casuals and with only enough production time to tweak the engine slightly, therfore not fixing those defensive issues we all know are there. It's exacerbated by PES's recent willy teasing, whispering all the right things into our ears but not actually showing us anything.

Can anyobody be nice and write me somalian players from the nat. team in this game, and their exact positions so i can correct them in my patch "All national teams in the world"?

Only 207 people have voted in the past fortnight. The biggest vote was 87 people voting to make 5* teams slower. 63 of them are under the age of 14#. And on that basis, EA will change the way their £multi-million game plays.

# - I made that bit up

Just read it in more detail now that I'm home. It is bollocks isn't it.

Sadly it's a result of the fact that they have no other way of balancing the game. They've worked really hard on the physical side of the game, but footballing attributes don't count for anything. Until they do, then you'll end up with this sort of situation.

Let me get this straight - EA want to make the teams feel more alike? :CONFUSE:

So the only way they differentiate quality is speed and strength?

Make the players as quick and as strong as they should be in real-life and then work on the attributes that really matter - control, technique, response, positioning, passing & shooting accuracy. These are the things that separate a world class team from a poor team.

Sounds to me as though EA are pandering to the online crowd that wants everything to be homogenised.

The problem is that WC2010 has already been made. It's already been coded in such a way that physical attributes like speed and strength are the only attributes meaningful enough to separate teams, quality-wise. There's nothing EA can do about that now, except change how they do things for the future.

I don't know that the problem here is that the online crowd want teams homogenised though. There are people in that thread who don't know what they're talking about, sure, but realistically I think voting for those listed changes to be made is the correct move to make. Lower star teams ARE being overpowered, physically and in terms of speed, when they shouldn't necessarily be rolling over so easily. Players for lesser sides are having their ratings skewed to be slower and weaker at the moment in order to separate them from those teams a couple of stars higher.

So the solution isn't to artificially bring every world class team's speed down/ every lesser side's speed up, but to give each player the correct speed rating (which overall would be a move towards what people have voted for here), and change the way the game is coded so that you have the actual faculties to distinguish between a shit team and a great one (an option that nobody was able to vote for).

Last edited:
Echoing some of the sentiments of the guys here, this is what I posted in that thread yesterday:

LOL, how many of these potential changes do you plan on implementing, Humber?

I mean, you should be doing ALL of these if you're going to do anything at all. The issue with 5* teams being super fast and super strong has been an issue for some time now so you know what? Just make the teams and players as strong and fast as they're supposed to be. Then maybe the fact that in terms of tactics, passing, shooting, etc., this game is sorely lacking might come to the forefront.

Some teams and players do have crazy speed, so I wouldn't handicap a 5* team if it's not necessary. But a squad like Tunisia CAN (as you may have seen in a recent WC tune-up match) keep up with France in terms of strength and speed. But when it comes to the individual skill of certain players and movement of the team, France should be smashing them (though they weren't really able to do that in that particular game).

People also might not complain about strength if you called more fouls when the 5* teams just barrel through players.

Senegal and Spain. Huge gulf in skill, but they're still grown men playing soccer who also happen to lift weights and, in the case of some (quite a few on Senegal), happen to be very fast. Just as fast as Fernando, if not faster. If you wanna keep letting Torres just run past the backline of a technically inferior team like they don't have any sort of athleticism, then be prepared to continue hearing these complaints.

It really isn't as simple as make good teams slower and weaker, and make bad teams faster and stronger. It's nothing more than EA's attempt to mask the gameplay flaws. This is the ONLY way that they can represent the real life gulfs in technical class between a team like Cape Verde and Portugal because there's no such thing as tactics in this game.

I was rambling a little bit but it's essentially what most of us have been saying. The biggest issue, and the reason why this speed and strength thing is such an issue, is there in bold at the end.

Echoing some of the sentiments of the guys here, this is what I posted in that thread yesterday:

I was rambling a little bit but it's essentially what most of us have been saying. The biggest issue, and the reason why this speed and strength thing is such an issue, is there in bold at the end.

great post and well said, hope they listen to you :))

Personally I think it's not that there's no such thing as tactics, but that there's no need for them in the first place because all the non-athletic attributes have a very minor effect. WC2010 is beyond saving in this regard, which is why this tweaking thread is depressing, but the only way to try and rebalance what they have available to them.

I'm personally loving this game and right now apart from having multi-player matches with friends with different teams like World Cup opener, Mexico vs. South Africa which was a LOT of fun, here's what I'm doing

Captain your Country mode with Edin Dzeko hoping to take Bosnia to World cup from a challenging group which includes European champs Spain, Turkey and Belgium along with Estonia. Broke through the 1st team after the first 4 friendlies and got Bosnia off to a DREAM start in Madrid against Spain in our WC Qualifying opener when I put us ahead 5 mins in.

Spain dominated but the very next shot, also by me finding space in the box, and I give us a 2-0 lead.

Spain pull one back before I set up an assist via a counter and shock the world and Spain as Bosnia get their qualifying campaign off to a great start largely thanks to Dzeko's man of the match performance.

Loving it!

I'm also playing as Iran with real fixtures and groups trying to do what we couldn't do in real life and qualify to the world cup. Have had my ups and downs but finding it great challenge while also some sublime football and great stuff. For me this game is a loads of fun! Not without it's fault but it's far more than I expected and deeper.

p.s. I noticed unlike FIFA10's be a pro mode, in captain your country, you can't make the team more 'offensive/defensive' by pressing on d-pad left and right. At least not until you become captain which I haven't yet so I don't know if then the option will appear? anybody know? Perhaps they took the option out because they decided it's the manager and not you as a single player that would decide how offensive or defensive a team's mentality should be at any particular stage of the game and automatically changes depending on whether you're leading or not... at least I hope it automatically changes and doesn't stay on 'normal' even if you need a goal badly in dying minutes with nothing to lose cuz it's not something we longer can control.

Apparently the kits are out today, North Korea, Chile, Honduras. Peru also got a proper stripe on both kits, Spain away socks were fixed, and Cameroon home shorts were also fixed.

For the squad / player update, they did some testing and found Spain were too strong, Ivory Coast and Ghana too fast and the Koreas not fast enough, so they need to test it again.

Surely that's "not our problem"? Those issues should have been sorted before release even. The Roster update is the trickiest part. I'd like to see how they are going to update with scenarios after every matchday like they promised. jeez.

Scenarios should theoretically be easy, provided they have some sort of scenario creator where they can just input teams, lineups and other variables.

I think it's pretty likely the squads will be out before the opening game... I can see their problem though, if they had put the update out on the 1st/2nd June then players like Ferdinand, Nani, Obi Mikel would still be in and players like Dawson, Amorim and Ideye Brown would have been left out, or bumped off to the reserves with the wrong numbers etc etc. Also there would have been the issue with the North Korean goalkeeper / striker. Anyway if Ferdinand or Nani had been in the squad people would have kicked up a fuss.

I think the update will be out soon enough anyway.

...the World Cup starts tomorrow. This is a world Cup game...

I'm not normally this impatient but...

this game 2 v 2 with mates is sweet... there is individuality of players that is for sure, you can slow the game down, you can play somewhat in the midfield... its sureley better then fifa 10, a big improvement IMO

this game 2 v 2 with mates is sweet... there is individuality of players that is for sure, you can slow the game down, you can play somewhat in the midfield... its sureley better then fifa 10, a big improvement IMO

Then I'll hear someone else say the exact opposite a few posts from now. I still think I wanna rent it for a week or so just to see what it's like but way too many conflicting views being thrown around here (and on every FIFA forum for that matter).

I will say this though.

I have yet to score a SINGLE chip goal in this game. Basically the opposite of FIFA10 where it was probably the most common type of goal and often too easy to do, now it seems like they took it to the other extreme. Goalies don't come out and when they do, I tried it a couple times and some ridiculous slow weak chip was produced so next time I just shoot for corner.

Seems to me they need to find right balance because I went from scoring 20 chip goals to 0.

Has anyone downloaded the ad board pack from the Store and seen any changes? I haven't noticed any other ad boards since downloading it.

Back
Top Bottom