2010 FIFA World Cup

Not sure where you're coming from exactly Tim7, to be honest. I came into this game with low expectations, and then when I ended up loving it, I've been waiting for the honeymoon to wear off, but it hasn't. For me this is the most fun I've had playing a football game in ages... They've sorted out all the major problems that killed FIFA 10 for me - including problems with the defending. One of the biggest issues was defender 'shading', where the player you just switched to had momentum going in one direction (ALWAYs the wrong direction) and it took a second before you could reverse course, making it impossible to play contain defense. This is no longer in the game. Me and my bro have been able to play game after game and I've been waiting for the warts to show, but they haven't. Most games end up being 2 goals or lower, and we play 8 minute games... in fact we played a full game with extra time and ended 0-0 and went to pens. Now maybe it's because I haven't run into exploiters online (Though I have played online a good deal and have had some great games there too), but to me this game is fantastic.

The game is still new enough to me that I'm scoring a decent variety of goals. Even simple things like a little lay off on the edge of the area and a shot into the bottom corner are way more satisfying than 40 yard screamers.

As far as I can see, the cpu can score only 2 types of goal:

1) When you play with a back 4, it plays a through ball to a CF running through the middle of them. Conveniently, both your CBs (which you're not yet controlling) run away from the ball, to give the CF a huge head start. I now know to expect this and have worked out how to counter it.

2) Haven't managed to stop this one though. It's the cross-into-box---header-autogoal. I've barely seen a cross not go straight to a cpu head. They don't always score, but it's the preventing the header in the first place that I haven't worked out yet. Trying super-cancel seems fruitless as the whole cross-header-autogoal is over in a flash. Any tips on this one?

I honestly can't remember any other type of cpu goal.

Last edited:
I can't win headers anywhere on the pitch. It's not until I throw Crouch on that I begin to win some.

I haven't seen much of the through goal you're on about. The goals I concede are usually from Arsenal style walking it into the net by cutting inside in the area.

Could somebody who is really good in this game tell mi please how to defend effectively. I mean i win most of my games but when it comes to play against some really good player i cant make my game peaceful. There are always so many goals. How to use players arms to get the ball ? How to be aggresive in defense? I would also ask about tactics. Is it worth changing it? Does it affect on the game like in PES? Im talking about advenced formations and strategy. Cheers

One of the biggest issues was defender 'shading', where the player you just switched to had momentum going in one direction (ALWAYs the wrong direction) and it took a second before you could reverse course, making it impossible to play contain defense. This is no longer in the game.

Sorry bro but this IS STILL in the game definitely, and as bad as in Fifa 10.

After having spent a lot more time with the game, I've got more refined conclusions:

- You can definitely see GREAT differences between big and small teams. That's a good thing.

- Even if you play a small team, the CPU will sometimes enter GOD mode. I played 1 match with Spain vs Turkey that was an absolute joke of cpu cheats.

- When the game enters this GOD mode, the game instantly turns CRAP and you can't do a thing, which is fustrating.

- You can clearly notice in human vs human when the CPU is balancing things in favour of one team. That's not good, FAIRNESS should be a priority in the game.

- Winston, I totally agree with your post about the type of CPU goals. In tough matches (semifinals, quarter finals, etc..), CPU has ALWAYS scored headers against me. It's quite laughable how primitive are the CPU cheats, specially speed caching up, tackling and heading. I can't get why they are obsessed in making the game a turd. If things were so easy, I could make it more difficult by playing Trinidad Tobago, there's no need for this kind of cheats.

- There are big problems with auto-switching and the FACT that one more time, only 1 player of your team will go for the ball. Playing manual, there has been a lot of times that I passed the ball between 2 players of my team, and only 1 of them goes for the ball, and most of the time is the wrong guy, the one who is far or represents less danger. It's about time we start to believe and feel that the players of my team are all ALIVE while I don't control them. Right now it's as if you play surrounded by stupid robots that you have to control to do something important, while the CPU can throw 3 guys to the ball at the same time. Once again, please make it FAIR.

- I don't know what they have done to free kicks, but seem impossible to put in. I haven't seen any goal by free kick in 50 matches, seems broken.

Has anyone else noticed a glitch with the appearances in the Finals of the tournament? Some of my players aren't getting credited with making appearances and their goals are not being counted either, very weird. Not a game-breaking bug, but still, I wanna win the golden boot dammit. :(

- Even if you play a small team, the CPU will sometimes enter GOD mode. I played 1 match with Spain vs Turkey that was an absolute joke of cpu cheats.
The thing is, the game is coded so that the CPU is using the same controller setup as us. When the CPU passes, it is pressing the pass button. When it dribbles, it is pressing directions. The problem is that the CPU we play against knows the game inside out, rather than simulating someone like us who is familiar with the game but is still unsure of what is going to happen.

Consequently teams like San Marino can make your top players look a bit of a fool and make the gameplay experience drop significantly when
the game enters this GOD mode
Particularly around the 40th and 85th minutes, when the CPU's calculations of probability are ramped up several notches.

The decision making seems to be consistent across all teams, because we are playing this same CPU opponent.

- You can clearly notice in human vs human when the CPU is balancing things in favour of one team. That's not good, FAIRNESS should be a priority in the game.
Can you elaborate on examples that I can try and pass on? EA are absolutely adamant that there is no artificial balancing going on. I believe them, but I also believe there are things that the game does that makes it feel like there is some sort of scripting in place (such as the defender stuttering, which makes it feel like the game made sure the attacker gets a clean run on goal, when in fact it's an error that is present throughout the game to some extent but is made more apparent when it leads to your defender not tracking his runner properly).

- I don't know what they have done to free kicks, but seem impossible to put in. I haven't seen any goal by free kick in 50 matches, seems broken.

I've scored a fair few now. Gerrard is rattling them in for me as England, with Somethingic doing well with his left foot for Bosnia. I think it's a lot better than FIFA 10.

One thing I learnt recently is that the left stick control when you have charged up a shot actually uses more than just up, up-right, right etc etc. It uses all of the angles, so that, if you pressed 60 degrees instead of 45 degrees you'd get slightly less topspin and more sidespin. It's subtle but it's there.

- Human vs human, the game tends to favour drama. The team that is loosing tends to subtly have more "luck" in deflections and win more challenges, specially in the last minutes of each half, as it happens with the cpu. At least, that's my feellings and my friends also.

- Free kicks: can you explain me what you do? I find them to be always too high or to the barrier, no mid-point. I've shot a lot of them even in tutorial mode and can't seem to get how they work.

- Besides CPU "using" a pad like us, there's also the obvious CHEATS that make them turn faster, be stronger and faster than they should according to their stats. As in fifa 10, when you play 2 human vs CPU, it's absolutely ridiculous how difficulty ramps up. In a given match, we had a clear chance and the ball got loose in the area. Oour spanish player only had to put it in to the empty net, but a slovakian player managed somehow to run twice the distance of our spanihs player and reach the ball first. In the replay you could se him making 2 steps for every step our player did. Blatantly pathetic. That crap must be taken out of the game at once.

i´m liking very much this game but i insist in one option that nobody here seems care...
i think that movement from teammates off the ball is very poor and with low variety...
i think that EA need to implement change formation in rela time like PES...
it´s very unrealistic see players like messi and others staying in the same side of the pitch during all the game...
players need more variety from movement without the ball... not only running up and down...
this thing kills the game for me...

Sorry bro but this IS STILL in the game definitely, and as bad as in Fifa 10.
Worse than FIFA 10 imo. I been playing quite a few FIFA10 ranked matches and it's seriously been a pleasure to play. I hadn't played any FIFA for about 5 months, then I played World Cup and initially it was alright, then the cracks came out and ruined it. So I went back to FIFA 10 and it's absolutely brilliant, defending is miles better, the players are much more responsive in defense to my commands as to what they do. Also attacking is great too, with everything manual except semi passing, I've scored such a variety of goals in the 15 or so matches I've played since returning (check the FIFA10 video thread for a couple).

I really hope that WC2010 isn't a preview of FIFA 11...

I'd be interested to get an idea of how people approach defending.

For years and years, any football game I've played in the past I've always switched to the nearest player to the ball and defended against the ball-possessor myself. This was how I approached FIFA 09, too.

To get any sort of playability out of FIFA 10+, I'm finding I have to completely change the way I defend. Rather than facing up against the ball-possessor, most of the time I use the right thumbstick to switch control to one of my centre-backs, mark the opposing forwards off-the-ball myself, and dab the secondary pressure button to instruct one of my teammates to harrass the ball-possessor.

Putting auto-switch down to zero helps with this approach... although that brings its own complications elsewhere.

This is the only way I can enjoy FIFA 10 or the WC demo without copious defensive AI flaws ruining things. How do you eat yours?

For years and years, any football game I've played in the past I've always switched to the nearest player to the ball and defended against the ball-possessor myself. This was how I approached FIFA 09, too.

To get any sort of playability out of FIFA 10+, I'm finding I have to completely change the way I defend. Rather than facing up against the ball-possessor, most of the time I use the right thumbstick to switch control to one of my centre-backs, mark the opposing forwards off-the-ball myself, and dab the secondary pressure button to instruct one of my teammates to harrass the ball-possessor.

Putting auto-switch down to zero helps with this approach... although that brings its own complications elsewhere.

This is the only way I can enjoy FIFA 10 or the WC demo without copious defensive AI flaws ruining things. How do you eat yours?

Pretty much the same, nerf. The only difference being that in FIFA WC (unlike other FIFA games) I'm forced to squeeze my defense in to contain the strikers running straight through or the killer through ball. This works most of the time, but as the defenders tend to run in opposite directions it becomes infuriating in the heat of moment as I don't have time to move everyone back into position.

I also still have problems with manual switching. Everytime I hit the L1 button to change player 8/10 it'll go to the wrong person. Generally, someone closer, behind the striker than say the RB who I want to use to cut off his run and cover my CB who is out of position. It also doesn't help that everytime I switch the player is still running, so not only have I got to catch up with the player that has just passed him I have to make up ground due to him running in the complete opposite direction.

The right stick switching just doesn't feel natural as a veteran football gamer.

That is how I always defended, PES included. I've always controlled the man further back, blocking passing avenues or making sure I don't give the runner space, while letting the CPU do the legwork in midfield. I was probably a bit more liberal with second pressing in PES than FIFA as I don't find second pressing all that effective for my gameplan.. Nowadays I tend to try and press it at the right time, not all the time.

Reading thorough it's nice to see im not the only one finding the defence especially more trouble some especially switching players, they do face the wrong bloody direction until you get control of them and they do some wierd ass 360 spin shit.

I'm also suprised how god damn glitchy this game is, earlier i won a penalty as Holland, however Robben, gets a Red injury and has to come straight off. So a substitution later and im back on the penalty spot, only for the composure meter to have fucking dissapeared completley!

I try pausing toggling about with the name bar settings hoping the meter would pop back up when i unpaused but no luck.

Of course i miss the penalty in the end and finish 1-1, but seriously though, what the fuck?

Not to mention countless other errors like wrong managers making subs, shitty highlights, players still being the same height in cut scenes and goal scorers records not being kept, this without a doubt the buggiest football game i have seen this Gen.

Replays are ridiculous. I had a game with chance after chance, near misses, hitting the bar etc and what do I get as my only replay? A messed up pass that bounced harmlessly through to the keeper.

EA are absolutely adamant that there is no artificial balancing going on. I believe them...

I absolutely do NOT believe them. If they have said that, they are lying and insulting.

- Human vs human, the game tends to favour drama. The team that is loosing tends to subtly have more "luck" in deflections and win more challenges

Absolutely. It's bad enough that cpu matches have periods where there is such obvious bias in favour of (usually) the cpu team, but when they bring this same horrible concept into human v human matches, it is desparately disappointing. When I see it happening against me, I just quit. I couldn't give a flying duck if I end up with a DNF stat of 90%, I have no interest in playing a game where gameplay is replaced with scripted artificial bias.

Yup, and like others have, I have a similar approach. As soon as the cpu have the ball and get close to the halfway line, my sole aim (to counter cpu goal type 1 that I mentioned a few posts ago) is to get a player (preferably midfielder) in between my 2 CBs to cut out the predictable cpu perfect through-ball, as my CBs deliberately walk in the wrong direction. This tactic has virtually ended all cpu scoring except for the type 2 goal, cross-header-autogoal.

It's not fun, it's not realistic, but it's what works (and also did when I used to play PES). It's a shame that defensive gameplay doesn't seem to have advanced 1 iota in the past 10 years.

Worse than FIFA 10 imo. I been playing quite a few FIFA10 ranked matches and it's seriously been a pleasure to play. I hadn't played any FIFA for about 5 months, then I played World Cup and initially it was alright, then the cracks came out and ruined it. So I went back to FIFA 10 and it's absolutely brilliant, defending is miles better, the players are much more responsive in defense to my commands as to what they do. Also attacking is great too, with everything manual except semi passing, I've scored such a variety of goals in the 15 or so matches I've played since returning (check the FIFA10 video thread for a couple).

I really hope that WC2010 isn't a preview of FIFA 11...

Kinda amazing that we can be playing the same game with completely different results... The shading for me is simply not there, maybe every once in a great while but considering the type of slow build up play me and my brother use, the shading would definitely be prevalent if it were there - it practically rendered Fifa 10 unplayable. But I guess everyone can see things differently- for me this is the most fun I've had playing a football game since pro evo in the PS2 days

Just played a few games online and I see what timbo wasw saying. The defence just opens up?! as soon as a through ball is played one defender just seems to be in completely the wrong position or he just flys to the left or right leavign a gaping hole! very stupid.

Glad I don't play online much and it is ridiculous. Playing all manual against assisted is hard enough, but with this....if they are strglling, just play a through ball and your sure to have a one on one with the keeper if your player has a bit of pace.

Obviously it is nearly non exixtent in the offline as the computer doesn't see it as an exploit and use it all the time.

It feels properly unfair because you're trying your best to play the game as if this part of it isn't broken - not passing to your striker unless he's in space, knocking the ball around instead and trying to work an opening - and then the guy you're playing against (who you are dicking all over in terms of possession and standard of play) just presses forwards and pass to a forward who, by rights, should never, ever be getting the ball ahead of the three defenders marking him. But they just move aside or stutter on the spot and watch yet another 1 on 1 against their keeper. I lost 3 games yesterday where the other guy was blatantly nowhere near as good as me (me being on semi controls, them on assisted) but because I'm pretending their defensive AI is better than it is I'm not churning out the same unstoppable chances every single time.

I've talked to the devs a lot about the trapping logic and defensive line problems, and I pointed out the above in particular. I'm looking forward to seeing how they've improved it for the next FIFA (and there will be changes from what they've said) because WC2010 is a bit of a step back from what was already quite a suspect backline.

Last edited:
I absolutely do NOT believe them. If they have said that, they are lying and insulting.

Absolutely. It's bad enough that cpu matches have periods where there is such obvious bias in favour of (usually) the cpu team, but when they bring this same horrible concept into human v human matches, it is desparately disappointing. When I see it happening against me, I just quit. I couldn't give a flying duck if I end up with a DNF stat of 90%, I have no interest in playing a game where gameplay is replaced with scripted artificial bias.
It's not scripted. It really isn't. It's a series of other design errors that sum up to make the game feel scripted. If you just go to EA with 'this game is scripted, please make it unscripted' then there is nothing they can do with that. You have to work put exactly what is making the game feel scripted (which is not a script) and report that. It's not as easy to do, but it's the only way you can get the game to feel unscripted because EA aren't interested in match rigging arguments. Taking scripting out is what got Gary Paterson his job.

It feels properly unfair because you're trying your best to play the game as if this part of it isn't broken - not passing to your striker unless he's in space, knocking the ball around instead and trying to work an opening - and then the guy you're playing against (who you are dicking all over in terms of possession and standard of play) just presses forwards and pass to a forward who, by rights, should never, ever be getting the ball ahead of the three defenders marking him. But they just move aside or stutter on the spot and watch yet another 1 on 1 against their keeper. I lost 3 games yesterday where the other guy was blatantly nowhere near as good as me (me being on semi controls, them on assisted) but because I'm pretending their defensive AI is better than it is I'm not churning out the same unstoppable chances every single time.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This game punishes you harshly for trying to recreate real football. It´s like a whole different sport being played in the game. I feel sad when i play my passing game with a realistic approach and anyone i play against can easily score goals just by pressing x and passing it fast to the 90 minute long full sprinters up front.Feel cheap fucked .It´s fifa play, not football play.

This has to happen in fifa online options: Separate and unique lobbys for the game preferences. THis game can be entertaining when u face the right opponent, normally someone who respects the sport. So,online the community has to be broken and separated. Assisted, normal, or fast players one way; and the slower,unassisted ,"fair" players another way.With this i wouldn´t even feel so disgusted with what EA is doing with the series.I would just shut up and enjoy this excuse of football "simulation"...

I think they adapt the new penalties system for general passing and shooting in-game. So whether your shooting, passing or going to shoot a penalty, Lower stats should make your bar fill faster and lower accuracy would make less "green" in your bar.

I think it would be too hard to check a bar while trying to shoot, I think the shooting needs tweaking a lot though, I'm still convinced it would be better to have a volley or head button too...

I can't tell you how many times my player has headed when a volley would be great and then attempted a volley when a diving header would be better...

And chesting down in your own box instead of heading the feckin ball... :RANT::P

They had a head or volley option in WC98. It'd result in everyone trying volleys all the time, which'd be a disaster.

The way to do it, IMO, is simply to improve the logic the game uses for determining what animation to use.

I think it would be too hard to check a bar while trying to shoot, I think the shooting needs tweaking a lot though, I'm still convinced it would be better to have a volley or head button too...

I can't tell you how many times my player has headed when a volley would be great and then attempted a volley when a diving header would be better...

And chesting down in your own box instead of heading the feckin ball... :RANT::P
Perhaps they could use L2+Shoot to distinguish between headers and volleys.

About the shooting bar, you don't need to check it. It just fills like current bar but the sweet spot may be bigger or smaller depending on the player stats. And it could fill faster too.

Back
Top Bottom