Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

Milanista said:
They did that for Michael Owen Soccer 99 on PSone, it wasnt very succesful as the pitch ended up being Omaha Beach.

Just because it was poorly executed in one game, doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. :)

I just spoke to a tech who works for ModchipMan he believes it will take them (his team) around 4 months to get DMS5 working on PS3.

diggiboy said:
I just spoke to a tech who works for ModchipMan he believes it will take them (his team) around 4 months to get DMS5 working on PS3.

I mentioned it to my Mum and she hadnt got a fucking clue what I was talking about. Nobody can even speculate how long it will take to chip the new machines so lets not even bother guessing even if we do know people who are `in the business`

diggiboy said:

Yea and how the hell does he know that?

Chipping a PS3 is more of a lottery than a PS2 due to price n new technology!

Well don`t ask me how does he know that. He`s been working with gaming consoles since they became avaliable...

I believe there is already a database of PS3 (the structure) which could change many times until its official release.

One thing for sure.. no matter how "revolutionary" PS3 might be, it shouldn`t be too hard to get it modded..unless Sony puts some sort of protection on it..but I know they wouldn`t since they know how many imported games are sold every day..

for girls (and some guys :lol: )

sonyps3doubledong0ns.jpg

ps3.jpg

Can't wait to chomp a burger, while playing killzone.

im not gonna wade through pages but that controller is a prototype incase you didnt know?

ripkord said:
im not gonna wade through pages but that controller is a prototype incase you didnt know?
I hope you're right!!!....At the mo it looks like 3rd party dual shock 2 pad. I also hope the machine itself is a prototype, Feck me it's ugly. :albino:

Last edited by a moderator:

They may or may not be final! That was already said a kazilion times! :)
But I hope the controller isn't! :S

i catually like the controller and its actually smaller than everybody thinks
mandohobbit8ky.jpg

WOW thats too small..look , compare his finger to the x , o buttons..too small m8..
but i read in a brazilian videogame site, that sony has announced that the controller is still not confirmed to be this one, also the spider man lettering isnt cofirmed...

FROM Gamespot.

Report: PlayStation 3 not bundled with hard drive

Japanese magazine reports that Sony's next-generation console will not come with a default hard drive; SCE president says first model will be 80GB.
Sony's PlayStation 3 will not come packaged with a hard drive, reports the latest issue of Famitsu. While the machine comes with a 2.5-inch hard drive slot, consumers will be required to purchase and install the actual drive separately.

The news means that Microsoft's Xbox 360 will be the only one of the three next-generation consoles that will come with a hard drive. It comes with a detachable "outrigger" 20GB hard drive by default. Nintendo doesn't plan on the Revolution having a hard drive since the console uses 512MB of flash memory for data saving.

For Sony, offering the hard drive separately will cut costs for the PlayStation 3, which is expected to sell at around 44,800 yen ($410) in Japan according to a recent analysis by Merrill Lynch Japan Securities.

In recent interviews with the Japanese press, Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi said that he expects the initial capacity of the PS3's hard drive to be 80GB. While Sony hasn't released any figures on how much its hard drive is expected to be priced at, a 2.5-inch 80GB in the current Japanese market costs around an average of 20,000 yen ($180). Sony sells its 40GB hard drive (SCPH-20401) for the PlayStation 2 for 10,479 yen ($95).

Given Sony's past strategies, it is possible the company will offer a hard-drive-bundled PlayStation 3 as well as a standard edition. When Sony launched its PSP in Japan last December, the company offered the handheld machine in two packages: a normal edition priced at 19,800 yen ($179), and a "Value Pack" edition priced at 24,800 yen ($224), which came bundled with a number of accessories, including a 32MB Memory Stick Duo for saving game data. However, in America, the PSP Value Pack is the only option available.

By Staff -- GameSpot
POSTED: 07/01/05 09:40 AM PST

Well Im not that surprised to be honest.

Sony will have to keep prices down when the machine is launched as Im sure the Xbox 360 will drop its price to counter around the same time.

Having two packages on launch is a great idea. I'll defo be getting the hard drive option. Just hope its not too expensive.

FINISHED PS3 WILL BE MORE POWERFUL THAN E3 DEMO

Japanese reports suggest that those controversial E3 tech demos will look even better on the finished console...

10:39 The final version of the PS3 won't only be able to match the quality of the controversial videos shown by Sony at its pre-E3 press conference but far exceed them, according to reports coming out of Japan.
Technology website ITmedia is reporting that the PS3 you'll be able to but off the shelves will actually be far more powerful than the development kit used to put the E3 videos together.

According to the reports the current PS3 dev kit is running at 2.4 GHz but when it is ready for retail that processing pull will have increased to 3.2 GHz - potentially making games one third more powerful than the examples on show at the pre-E3 conference.

ITmedia also confirms that the graphical processing unit (GPU) used to put the E3 demos together was not nVidia's specially designed RSX chip, as we reported here. Instead, a high-powered PC GPU was used, possibly the new G70 nVidia showed off on Tuesday.
This new card has already been labelled as the most powerful 3D PC video card available and nVidia has stated that the RSX chip is being built around the architecture of the G70.

Sony showed reams of video purporting to be true PS3 game footage for games as diverse as Unreal Tournament and Killzone. While the initial reaction amongst press and commentators was amazement, the backlash wasn't far behind.

Accusations that the footage was pre-rendered and exaggerated the real power of the PS3 were rampant, but these new reports suggest that Sony may not have been pulling the wool over gamers' eyes.

Microsoft, which had playable next-gen demos on the showfloor and behind closed doors at E3, also claims that the finished version of the Xbox 360 will be far more powerful. It claimed that the demos were running on early dev kits with only 30% of the power of the finished console.

Nintendo avoided any debate about the processing power of the Revolution by refusing to show game footage.

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=120861

Adonis said:
Well Im not that surprised to be honest.

Sony will have to keep prices down when the machine is launched as Im sure the Xbox 360 will drop its price to counter around the same time.

Having two packages on launch is a great idea. I'll defo be getting the hard drive option. Just hope its not too expensive.
Some good points there mate..................But I feel sony Should have made the hard drive as standard in the ps3. They have always milked the "essential peripheral" market.

Revan said:
FINISHED PS3 WILL BE MORE POWERFUL THAN E3 DEMO

Japanese reports suggest that those controversial E3 tech demos will look even better on the finished console...

10:39 The final version of the PS3 won't only be able to match the quality of the controversial videos shown by Sony at its pre-E3 press conference but far exceed them, according to reports coming out of Japan.
Technology website ITmedia is reporting that the PS3 you'll be able to but off the shelves will actually be far more powerful than the development kit used to put the E3 videos together.

According to the reports the current PS3 dev kit is running at 2.4 GHz but when it is ready for retail that processing pull will have increased to 3.2 GHz - potentially making games one third more powerful than the examples on show at the pre-E3 conference.

ITmedia also confirms that the graphical processing unit (GPU) used to put the E3 demos together was not nVidia's specially designed RSX chip, as we reported here. Instead, a high-powered PC GPU was used, possibly the new G70 nVidia showed off on Tuesday.
This new card has already been labelled as the most powerful 3D PC video card available and nVidia has stated that the RSX chip is being built around the architecture of the G70.

Sony showed reams of video purporting to be true PS3 game footage for games as diverse as Unreal Tournament and Killzone. While the initial reaction amongst press and commentators was amazement, the backlash wasn't far behind.

Accusations that the footage was pre-rendered and exaggerated the real power of the PS3 were rampant, but these new reports suggest that Sony may not have been pulling the wool over gamers' eyes.

Microsoft, which had playable next-gen demos on the showfloor and behind closed doors at E3, also claims that the finished version of the Xbox 360 will be far more powerful. It claimed that the demos were running on early dev kits with only 30% of the power of the finished console.

Nintendo avoided any debate about the processing power of the Revolution by refusing to show game footage.

Source:
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...eogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=120861

Yes the demos of the ps3 @ E3 were not prerendered. But i heard they were not gameplay demos.
Also the great Killzone demo, which showed incredible graphics was also not made by the gamedevelopers themselfs but by some special effect designers from hollywood.

jumbo said:
one thing fo sho - we'll be burning no WE games until

1. ps3 STABLE, FULLY FUNCTIONAL modchips become available which might not be until 1-2 years after release.

2. blu-ray recorders become afforadable which again might be 2008.

3. if the game is recorded in new format, new tools will have to be written.

do we want to patch the new WE on ps3
Can patchmakers make better textures than the, maybe ultrarealistic textures that we will see in the new WE???
and maybe by the time it will release konami has full liscense :mrgreen:
No need to patch for me :mrgreen:

MasterM said:
do we want to patch the new WE on ps3
Can patchmakers make better textures than the, maybe ultrarealistic textures that we will see in the new WE???
and maybe by the time it will release konami has full liscense :mrgreen:
No need to patch for me :mrgreen:

Of course patchmakers can do textures just as good. People already make faces, pitch textures, stadiums better than Konami. But like Jumbo says we probably ain't gonna have that option at first anyway. But by the time it does become feasible for patching people will have made the programs and sussed out the new formats and shit. It'll give people who do these things amazing options. I really can't wait to be able to make faces for PES/WE on the ps3 :D

zzzzVapour said:
Some good points there mate..................But I feel sony Should have made the hard drive as standard in the ps3. They have always milked the "essential peripheral" market.

Exactly. But Sony are so good at doing it & looking good at the same time. Working in a games shop, when I sell a PS2 the customers always understand the need to buy a memory card with it. When talking to them they appreciate having the choice. Its funny how not a lot of people in my experience actually know the xbox has memory in-built. The fact that sony sell it makes people more aware. Strange isnt it?

I think having the hard drive as standard would of put the price far too high. Sony are already trying to distance themselves from the Xbox 360 by calling the PS3 a super computer rather than a console. When you consider what the PS3 is packing compared to the xbox its clear that a price difference could be substantial. A standard hard drive built in would bump it further and put a lot of casual gamers off. I guess a happy medium would be making it optional, and it seems thats what they've done.

Regarding patching, I agree with mattster12. the sort of stuff these patch makers can do is amazing. Its scary to know these guys on our forums produce stuff better than konami themselves!

But I honestly hope there will be no need to patch. I hope konami have enough power to play with to produce an amazing game.

Adonis said:
Exactly. But Sony are so good at doing it & looking good at the same time. Working in a games shop, when I sell a PS2 the customers always understand the need to buy a memory card with it. When talking to them they appreciate having the choice. Its funny how not a lot of people in my experience actually know the xbox has memory in-built. The fact that sony sell it makes people more aware. Strange isnt it?
Thats pretty interesting. Just goes to show how much power Sony has when it comes to selling stuff. Its almost as if they set the standard for what a video games console is supposed to be.

Ive heard it has now been reported that the homwe internet router part of has been binned as to lower the costs i wonder if this will mean a few slight cosmetic changes as it wont need so many ports ect!

I read this somewhere too, think it was in the latest issue of MCV.

Sony are under pressure to keep the costs low. I really hope they do, although to be honest Im gonna buy it whatever the price ;)

I actually dont mind how the machine looks. Although I do hope they do something with the pad. The interface isnt so bad, its just those extended prongs! If they cut them off it would look loads better IMO.

Sony are at it again:

Report taken from IGN:

July 13, 2005 - Final details have at last surfaced on this year's edition of Sony's big Japanese PlayStation strategy briefing, the PlayStation Meeting. Sony has decided to hold the event on 7/21, four days before Microsoft's Xbox Summit and nine days before the start of the Square Enix party. Whew... it's going to be a busy July if you're in Japan!

The PlayStation Meeting is an annual tradition for Sony. Every year, the company presents awards for top selling games from the previous year and makes a few big announcements. Previous PlayStation Meetings have served as the debut point for games such as Katamari Damacy and Sengoku Musou. Last year's conference saw Ken Kutaragi unveil his now famous chart depicting the unveiling schedule for the PlayStation 3 (still referred to as "Next System" at the time). The company also unveiled Talkman for the PSP and let the Japanese press get a look at the system for the first time.
Sony has yet to announce what it will show at this year's conference, but the PlayStation 3 will likely make an appearance in some form. The question is, will we get our hands on it? Last year, Sony left the big playable PSP titles like Ridge Racers, Hot Shots Golf and Metal Gear Acid for an early September press conference.

As with the Xbox Summit, the PlayStation Meeting is open to professionals journalists and industry types only. So how are we going to get in? If we can figure out a way to sneak in, we'll be sure and give you a full report.

First they brought their E3 press conference forward to take place before Microsofts, and now this. Im presuming they're gonna make a similar impact.

Clever sods ;)

Its going to be a busy July for all of us looking at it, there can only be more details to come by the end of the month on both machines

Back
Top Bottom