Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

who cares about the size of the console ???

i hardly see my ps2 anyways, i really dont care about size or anything, what i relaly care is the graphics and the performance it will have .... Please dont stuck on the size this much, that doesnt matter, they need bigger console for bigger/better things.

In what would represent a massive break with tradition for the company, Sony Computer Entertainment America boss Kaz Hirai has suggested that the PlayStation 3 may not launch in Japan first.

Hirai dismissed rumours that Sony has already decided to follow the console's Japanese launch with a US release in the autumn, telling the CNBC network: "We haven't determined which territory we will go with first this time around just yet.

"We will have to look at development and how things are coming along in terms of manufacture and all the other logistical things to determine which territory or multiple territories go first."

Which could of course mean a simultaneous worldwide launch, as Microsoft has planned for Xbox 360 this November.

Hirai isn't worried that MS will steal Sony's market share by getting in there first, however. "It is not being first in marketing, it is being able to provide a content palette that is going to grow the business," he said.

"We have had a leadership position in the past 10 years and come up against a different variety of companies. With the content support that we are getting from all of our third-party publishing partners, and the technology we pack into PlayStation 3, I'm confident we will keep that position another 10 years."

All of Sony's previous consoles have debuted in Japan before hitting US and European shores, the most recent example being the PSP - which has had its European launch delayed until September due to manufacturing shortages.

Thats an interesting one though I will only believe it when I see it

rockykabir said:
_41152949_kutaragi203_b.jpg

C'mon. Just look at the guy. He's in pain cuz its too big heavy.

I see on IGN they interviewed the Killzone bods and they said
"Is the Killzone sequence a fair example of what people can expect from realtime gameplay on PlayStation 3?

Jan-Bart: Yeah, it's basically a representation of the look and feel of the game we're trying to make."

so it is pre-rendered then but they reckon they can make it that good.

Further down all the IGN editors say "yeah those graphics are possible....on PS4!"
Ah well, no need to quack in me pants yet then.
At least the games will look 35 times nicer than ps2 though so its not all bad news :)

Confirmation that the Controller is at the moment a "Conceptual Design" ...

4622841285227142.JPG

3857643553131632.JPG

Aint final!

good, I wans't a big fan of it!

peat if that's true then Sony might have a big problem on their hands.

Milanista said:
I love that controller.

It doesn't bother me as much as others. I can see it being comfortable in the hand, if you held it more towards the top of the handles, rather than at the bottom, which obviously would put the shoulder buttons (and much of everything else) out of reach.

diggiboy said:
I knew XBOX was more powerful than PS2.. but I was never a fan of XBOX.. Like I said console size shouldn`t matter..

CHECK YOUR PM!!!!!!!

the new PS3 controllers are very similar to the XBOX controllers but the PS3 ones are on a diet. :D

haha true.
But I think they are just to ugly, and look at the buttons.

I think they're gonna slip in my sweaty palms.:(

Yep, my plams get v.sweaty as well. I regulalry have to dry them. Some people even get puddles in there palms.

I might not be allowed to say this but what if you wanted to back up your games or patch new PES games? How the hell are we gonna do that cuz apparantly the PS3 takes Blu-Ray Discs which hold about 100GB of space.
Imagine an ISO of a 100GB game on your harddrive.

new harddrives will come, new recorders will come...time will show.

Actually RuneEdge is 25 GB or 50GB if dual-layer!
But I doubt PS3 game developers will use blu-ray discs in the 1st year of the PS3. DVD-DL is still enough. There are only a bunch of games of PS2 that use. GT4, GTS:SA... the ones I know off!

one thing fo sho - we'll be burning no WE games until

1. ps3 STABLE, FULLY FUNCTIONAL modchips become available which might not be until 1-2 years after release.

2. blu-ray recorders become afforadable which again might be 2008.

3. if the game is recorded in new format, new tools will have to be written.

how long did it take for the first xbox mods? couldnt be more then a year right?

jumbo said:
2. blu-ray recorders become afforadable which again might be 2008.
That's assuming Konami use Blu-Ray, PS3 supports all the current media and from memory Konami barely scrape 2GB at the moment, and that's only when they include extra languages. Of course the PS3 versions will automatically take up more space, but I'd be surprised if Konami needed more than the 9GB they could squeeze onto a dual-layer DVD, especially considering they released quite a few PS2 versions on CD. It'll be cheaper to use DVD for them than Blu-Ray.

jumbo said:
one thing fo sho - we'll be burning no WE games until

1. ps3 STABLE, FULLY FUNCTIONAL modchips become available which might not be until 1-2 years after release.

The ps2 first modchip came 2 months after release in asia. It was working fine too.

Revan said:
Actually RuneEdge is 25 GB or 50GB if dual-layer!
But I doubt PS3 game developers will use blu-ray discs in the 1st year of the PS3. DVD-DL is still enough. There are only a bunch of games of PS2 that use. GT4, GTS:SA... the ones I know off!
I know that it holds 25GB but there are also Quad-Layer Blue-Ray Discs that will be used (according to Gamespot) which is 100GB in total.

Imagine GTA:SA but with a map 25 times the normal size which covers almost half the planet with no loading screens in between.
Or what about the maps you could get in a FPS like Unreal or Quake.

The possibilities are almost endless with 100GB of space.

:shock: Imagine it, when players slide tackle they create scrapes or dents (poor explanation there) in the pitch, so over the course of the game the pitch receives wear and tear.

Such possibilities!

They did that for Michael Owen Soccer 99 on PSone, it wasnt very succesful as the pitch ended up being Omaha Beach.

RuneEdge said:
I know that it holds 25GB but there are also Quad-Layer Blue-Ray Discs that will be used (according to Gamespot) which is 100GB in total.

Imagine GTA:SA but with a map 25 times the normal size which covers almost half the planet with no loading screens in between.
Or what about the maps you could get in a FPS like Unreal or Quake.

The possibilities are almost endless with 100GB of space.

In games like GTA i'm sure they will make the next one 4 times bigger than GTA:SA.
But I don't see it happening in the next 2 years, FPS games using a Blu-ray disc! They will barely scratch blu-ray in the first 2 years!

100 GB? I think that's "to sell news" from gamespot, and to create hype. Kinda like saying "if you use 100 GB, it's means the game is awesome"! Using 100 GB's? not even in the next 4-5 years!
I may be wrong of course.

EDIT: I wonder how many 100GB blu-ray discs these games would take!!
http://www.nescapades.com/gameroom.htm

Last edited:

But its still a good idea. It would look good on rainy days where the pitch could be damaged easily.

Back
Top Bottom