Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

CWright said:
Its going to be a busy July for all of us looking at it, there can only be more details to come by the end of the month on both machines

Most definately.

To be honest though we wont see the meaty stuff until September at the TGS, as mentioned in that IGN article. Some guys in the industry (i.e. Rockstar) believe that particular show is more important than E3.

The shows gonna be great this year :)

The router, and the hard drive have been taken out, bad news, but cheaper price.

I think that sucks donkeys really, it's more cost to us the punter anyhow, we have to buy the HD, we have to buy the router........... Least this time we wont have to buy a Multitap!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I agree.

I would've liked the customer to have a choice. Im sure many would of opted for the one with everything included.

Guess we'll just have to see how much cheaper it will make it on launch.

I still doubt we will see it under 300 quid, 400 dollars like, even with those bits out of it

yep I agree again.

I guess thats why Sony are doing it. If the kept all the extras on it wouldve gone over the £300 mark, which these days is seen as the most a console should launch at.

Interesting to see how much the Xbox 360 will launch at.

Yup, any more than 300 quid and you could lose a lot of buyers. The amount of bits and pieces you need when you buy a new bit of kit and the cost soon mounts up.

Its all rumours at the moment though

I'm hoping the XB360 will suprise many and retail at around £200. If they're trying to get an extra edge of Sony, a suprising, cheaper price would be very tempting.

When do you guys reckon they'll announce the price for the 360?

I'm hoping PS3 won't be too expensive, anything over 300 quid like you guys said would be too much. But the rumour mill suggests that instead of trying to re-coup the money on the console, Sony will also try to get money back from selling the games at a higher price as well, since they will be on blue-ray(?I think?)

PS3 KICK ASS HAAAAA!!!!!!!

TIMES EXCITING!!!!!!!!

BYE

Flawl3ssCowb0y said:
I'm hoping the XB360 will suprise many and retail at around £200. If they're trying to get an extra edge of Sony, a suprising, cheaper price would be very tempting.

When do you guys reckon they'll announce the price for the 360?

They will announce the European price at X05, the location and specific date for the event is yet to be announced. It should be around October I would have thought.

Sony will be making losses aparently if they sell at a reasonable price for buyers, but if they get sales like PS2 did, they should make there money back.

XBOX360 will steal the show maybe, releasing it cheaper and relasing before Xmas, so they will get more sales. And XBOX360 will ahve games in the HDVD format (I think) which cost less to produce then Blu-Ray, becuase HDDVD is similiar to normal DVD's and so new machines are not required.

So this might mean PS3 games going from £40 to £50 instore (high street) and for online going from £30 to £40. And Xbox360 might stay at the current price, the normal £40 instore and £30 online.

According to Eurogamer the PS3 will have playable demo's at the Tokoyo Games Show, in their article Kutaragi went on to restate earlier suggestions that the PS3 won't come cheap, "I'm not going to reveal it's price today, I'm only going to say that it'll be expensive."

Having these blu ray discs are all very well but alot of the games dont use the capacity of a normal DVD never mind anything that big!

the_thing said:
they already had 1 playable demo at the Sony PLaystation Meeting press conference.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/635/635525p1.html
with 3 videos. 2 from the demo and the third from E3.

About this Gundam playable demo :

Following Epic Games, Bandai showed off a real-time demo of its PS3 Gundam game. The game is clearly still in development, as the demo featured a low frame rate, but high-resolution graphics and detailed mechs. Bandai Games company president Shin Unozawa revealed that the demo is only using one of the Cell´s SPEs, and that he was amazed at the power of the PS3. The demo was developed by Bandai subsidiary BEC, and was made solely with in-house developed engines and shading programs.

cnsps3lncdtcnf_l1.jpg

Now we know the release date.

We already knew the releasedate... And Sony also reveiled on the "price" for the PS3. They say that the price would be around 500$. Too much for me...

ThomasGOAL said:
About this Gundam playable demo :

Following Epic Games, Bandai showed off a real-time demo of its PS3 Gundam game. The game is clearly still in development, as the demo featured a low frame rate, but high-resolution graphics and detailed mechs. Bandai Games company president Shin Unozawa revealed that the demo is only using one of the Cell´s SPEs, and that he was amazed at the power of the PS3. The demo was developed by Bandai subsidiary BEC, and was made solely with in-house developed engines and shading programs.

It can't be in-fame cause Nvidia, the one who makes the chip for the PS3, said earlier this month that the chip isn't ready yet so every possible piece of video you saw, is not in-game and wasn't rendered real-time

TrebuTa said:
It can't be in-fame cause Nvidia, the one who makes the chip for the PS3, said earlier this month that the chip isn't ready yet so every possible piece of video you saw, is not in-game and wasn't rendered real-time
Or it could use the latest NVidia PC card in SLI mode for testing/demo purposes, remember XBox 360 demos at E3 ran on multiple Apple machines and not actual MS hardware.

TrebuTa said:

The PlayStation Meeting Gundam demo is the first example of a fully playable PS3 demo (that is, a demo where you actually control a character), even though we ourselves didn't get to play it. Expectedly, the game is a bit early in its development cycle. After entering the game from the title screen, the player, who played using a Dual Shock 2 controller, was able to move his Mobile Suit around and shoot. Towards the end of the demo, an enemy came out and destroyed the player's partner Mobile Suit. The player was then able to blast the enemy, bringing an end to the demo.

There isn't much life in the game world at this point, and with good reason. The demo doesn't use any physical calculations. Such calculations, which will add effects such as wind and smoke, will make use of the Cell's seven SPU processing units. The game in its current form uses just the main Cell processor (minus the SPUs) and the system's graphics chip.

if u actually watched the video, and u've got initiatives and proper brain cells u'll notice that the gundam fing was actually being controlled considering the way it was manuvered about the environment by the jap chap(if ever he was one) and it really looked convincingly true more or less like it was actually played and BTW the visuals!!!....(takes deep breath) superb!!!!... i can understand some peoples fears that PS2 went the same route (fancy pre-rendered videos and that) but we've had a lot to technically steer our hopes and long lasting faith at the direction of Sony feet so lets jst not step on it!! lol....

i jst walked into a game store (in the UK BTW) and they had the Xbox 360 for pre-order at a pre-selling price of £287.00 includin' a 20GB hard drive.... this is very bad news for sony as they are optin' to sell the PS3 for $500 as said above not to mention "without the hard drive"!!!! this might not be DEJAVU but i can see it comin',,*looks to the sky*,, micrososft are really close if not there as the next gen ultimate :(......

ClassicD said:
Or it could use the latest NVidia PC card in SLI mode for testing/demo purposes, remember XBox 360 demos at E3 ran on multiple Apple machines and not actual MS hardware.
wait are you trying to say that MS ran on MAC hardware......

The only half-official statement I know (the japanese economy magazine "Mainichi Shimbun" asking Sony) mentions the PS3 price to be around 50.000 Yen, which is 368 Euro or 251 British Pounds.

csaunders said:
wait are you trying to say that MS ran on MAC hardware......

Yes, they used 2 Apple G5 Powermacs.

Ike- if your calculations are correct, and Sony adapt those numbers, we're abit lucky since the Xbox 360 is 400 euros for full package.

Well according to a Microsoft announcement on the Games Convention there will be two XBox 360 packs at release, one for 300 Euros including one controller, one faceplate, one standard A/V cable. The 400 Euro version is said to include a 20 GB HDD, faceplate, headset, component HD AV cable, ethernet cable and a remote control. Both sets probably come with XBox Live Silver membership.

I'm not terribly interested in the prices anyway but please, if you say something like $500 at least provide some kind of source for it.

Back
Top Bottom