Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

Ike said:
The only half-official statement I know (the japanese economy magazine "Mainichi Shimbun" asking Sony) mentions the PS3 price to be around 50.000 Yen, which is 368 Euro or 251 British Pounds.

phew!!! almost lost it when i heard $500 :( ... neways this sounds way more realistic as sony are not known to be "dum-nuts" :nono:... IMO thats a very competitive price and excellent (TBH) when u consider the cost to make one console :applause: .... Sony, Oh Sony!!, you'll definitely get me money!!....

There's no way it'll be £250 IMO, it'll deffo cost more than 360's most expensive launch setup and that's £270. Read somewhere that Kutaragi went on record to say PS3 will be "expensive".

50,000 Yen might equal £251 but you can bet your ass if it's 50,000 Yen there's still no way that'll carry over directly to PAL prices, it'll have another 20%+ added on top of that.

I expect 399 € as a launch price, but it will more or less depend on how good the XBox 360 will be selling anyway, and what's actually inside the package.

Kutaragi has said a couple of times that the PS3 will be not be cheap, infact his exact words were "a premium machine at a premium price".

Ike said:
but it will more or less depend on how good the XBox 360 will be selling anyway, and what's actually inside the package.

i know sony has definitely manouevered and played about with microsoft's plan on cuttin' costs when the PS3 comes out and as much will definitely do sum'n bout it... but as the "basic launch package without the HDD" i dont think it'll cost more than £349.99 which is jst about alright IMO for a console without a HDD.... whatev'r appens i can see a PS3 in my shelf come spring 2006!!! :) ......*muffles* maybe not ](*,) why do i always av to wait for a price cut!!! [-(

Last edited:

PS3 pricing strategy: is Sony bluffing?
Chris Morris at CNN/Money has an interesting theory on Sony’s insistence that the Playstation 3 will “be expensive” — are they bluffing? The advantage would be twofold: first, set consumer expectation high, then surprise them with something much lower, driving a potentially much larger buying rush. Secondly, lull Microsoft into thinking they can get away with sticking an extra high pricetag on the Xbox 360, scaring off some of its potential buyers. The other potential reason for crowing about high pricing expectations might be to force Microsoft to make the first move, thus prepping consumers to get beyond the cognitive barrier of paying more than $300 for a game console. And, you know, it’s not like we would be shocked and appalled to discover than Sony totally played the media on this one — what do y’all think?

that was from joystiq.com awhile ago.
it would be awesome if it was true.

*rubbs fingers together* Geniuses at work.. well it wont supprise me too much if that was actually true because thats where sony's strenght is ...Marketing... as i said above :)

more (not all) of the screenshots of games ; aren't ingame ... they are just movies ...

:shock: :shock: :shock: *slaps face*

jesus! well...when are the Release Dates for Japan/US/Europe/UK?

when about in 2006? will japan get it earlier than everyone else? :)

The main reason for a possible high price (Sony might be playing with M$), is the blue-ray drive, that I read on slashdot, can add almost 100$ extra to the cost.

Very clever, the facial mapping is excellent however the article is total BS according to my brother (who deals with motion tracking/capture everyday). I asked him to explain and my brain melted so I won't try and repeat it, I trust his opinion though.

Edit: I remember a few things he said about the article. Firstly they claim it is a real time modelled 3D head, which is wrong. The face is real time, not the head unless the camera can see the back of his head. He said the facial animation is very clever however claiming it can do it all in realtime at 100fps is horse shit. He said that the tech demo is great, but the article has too much spin so don't believe it, in his opinion :)

I like the bit where the dude said that with this technology the PS3 will be able to determine the coordinates of the controller in case i throw it.

This will probably happen with a game like Winning Eleven 10... :)

Anti aliasing won't really be needed on the next gen machines anyway. The resolutions will be so high, no one will be able to notice jaggies any more. :p

Well the chap in that thread says they are XBox 360 pics Thomas ;)

ThomasGOAL said:
lol oops ! ok
very nice

:lmao: :lol: :applause:

For once Thomas has undone himself with shoddy research ;) At least he says it's very nice.......

One PS3 "multitaches" screen :shock:

Movies, Internet, WebCam, Live Cam HD, Game...

57517281_4d5d619d1b_o.jpg

The more incredible the PS3 screens seem to be, the less I'm believing in them :eh: That multitasking thing, like that previous vid showing how the PS3 can visually imprint a mask on live footage, looks like PR BS to me.

I really hope its true but I've become a lot more cynical with Sony - especially after all that crap with the PS2 "Emotion Chip." I mean, what game actually ended up looking like those visual showcases after all? It also turned out to be near impossible to develop for.

Google?

Looks good, but I wan't to see it in action live.
Not like I needed, with the MGS exclusive I already decided for a ps3. :mrgreen:

and that live cam HD smells dreamy, cause how much bandwith you need for that? only in japan maybe...

Hey I heard Sony won't be providing an unified online service. :\ (Xbox Live style). So simply put, everytime u wanna play and online game, you have to log into different services, maybe.

This is just a rumour, but if anyone has any info... :)

Sony has announced that PlayStation 3's online function won't feature a central service similar to Xbox Live. Instead it will have an 'open architecture' that allows games publishers to decide how they want gamers to get online with their games.

With Xbox Live, publishers have to work with Microsoft, which is something that prevented EA's Xbox games going online until 2004. It seems a similar service to Xbox Live does not appeal to Sony as its approach focuses on giving flexibility and freedom to individual publishers.

However, it hasn't worked especially well for PlayStation 2's online performance, which is well behind Xbox Live in popularity.

That will probably complicate things. I don't want a simple task of playing online be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom