Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

Mikey said:
Hahahahaha, if that's true, Sony can lick my balls.

make that two balls for licking c'mon sony the earlier the better \\:o/ \\:o/

This week at Sony Computer Entertainment's PlayStation Meeting, company president Ken Kutaragi appeared on stage to discuss further information on the current status of the PlayStation 3, and gave a glimpse of some new titles in development.

Kutaragi started out by reconfirming that the PS3 will be backwards-compatible with PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games and support high-definition TVs. "We're looking at a life cycle of 10 years with the PlayStation 3. We're currently shifting from standard TVs to HD TVs," said Kutaragi. "But in the next couple of years, most flat-panel TVs will be full HD. We're releasing the PS3 with full HD features from the start so that consumers won't have to buy another version of the console in the future. For the same reason, we're using Blu-ray as the PS3's disc format."

"I'm aware that with all these technologies, the PS3 can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households. I think everyone can still buy it if they wanted to," said Kutaragi to a mostly Japanese crowd. "But we're aiming for consumers throughout the world. So we're going to have to do our best [in containing the price]."

Then Kutaragi issued a somewhat ominous warning. "I'm not going to reveal its price today. I'm going to only say that it'll be expensive," he stated.

The rest of the discussion on the PS3 during the meeting was mostly oriented towards developers. Kutaragi began by showing a few slides of the PS3's development kit hardware, the first time it was officially unveiled. The preliminary development kit, code-named "Shreck", was a huge square metallic machine that ran with a 2.4Ghz Cell chip and 256MB XDR memory. The machine got a face-lift during spring and was renamed to "Cytology", and it is currently at about the size of a normal PC. Though it still runs at 2.4Ghz, it comes with an upgraded memory size of 512MB.

Kutaragi revealed that Sony plans to shrink the developer kit to a "rack mount" size of a server (around 19 inches wide) when the next, near-final version is released in December. Called the "PS3 Reference Tool", the kit will run at 3.2Ghz, equal to the PS3's spec. Kutaragi commented that he also plans to offer a free-standing PS3 Reference Tool.

Kutaragi surprised the crowd by revealing that, to date, only 450 PS3 dev kits have been shipped worldwide. Sony plans to release an additional 200 units in August and 300 more in September, but most developers probably will have to wait until October, when the company will ramp up its production to 3,000 units per month. For the time being, though Kutaragi admitted the current shortage is a problem. "We've been getting a lot of requests from developers since E3 that they want more development kits for the PS3," he said. "The demand for the kits has gone beyond what we can handle. We've been discussing what we can do about it."

Ever since the PS3's debut at E3, the biggest concern amongst publishers has been a rise in development costs due to the complexity of making games for the console. Currently, developers lack familiarity with the console's technology, such as how to use the seven synergistic processing elements (SPEs) of the PS3's Cell CPU. Those fears returned during the meeting, as Kutaragi showed the "duck in the bathtub" demo from E3 and explained it uses a total of 16 programs, including eight physics simulations and eight programmable shaders.

To assuage the audience's fears, as Kutaragi said Sony has been looking in into ways to make PS3 development easier and support game designers. Kutaragi revealed that SCE has signed licensing agreements with a number of renowned development-tool companies to include their programs as a part of the software developer kit that will be provided to PS3 game developers.

Sony has signed licensing agreements with two of the leading developer middleware providers, Havok and Ageia. Based in Dublin, Ireland and San Francisco, Havok has seen its physics engine used in Max Payne 2 and Half-Life 2. The agreement will let Sony include a "Havok Complete" middleware suite in its PS3 development kit, which will come with an optimized physics engine, animation engine, and other tools, including linkers and debuggers.

Ageia is a physics tool and hardware developer based in California, which is best known for its Ageia PhysX physics library, also known as NovodeX. According to Sony, the PhysX's multi-threaded capability makes it ideal to leverage the power of the Cell. Sony's licensing agreement with Ageia will allow a PhysX optimized for the PS3 to be included in the third-party publisher SDKs.

Sony Chief Technical Officer Masami Chatani was also present at the PlayStation Meeting. He disclosed that Nvidia, maker of the PS3's RSX graphics processor, is currently working on a line-up of programmable shader tools for the console. These include: a CG compiler, a standard for PC graphics that's oriented towards C language; an FX composer, which is a program for creating shaders of various textures such as skin and hair; PerfHUD and ShaderPerf, which are evaluation tools to optimize the quality of the shaders; and Melody, which allows normal maps to be used in order to drop polygon volumes without lowering graphics quality.

Chatani reconfirmed that the PS3 will support Open GL/ES as its standard API, and he also revealed support for Collada, an open-interchange file format for the interactive 3D industry.

In terms of supporting developers on their use of the Cell processor, Sony is forming an alliance with chipmaker Transmeta Corporation, a company renowned for its software emulation technology and it x86-compatible, software-based microprocessors. Transmeta will be offering an SPE optimizer and software that will allow developers to effectively program for the Cell processor and its seven SPEs. The tools will allow Statistical Process Control (SPC) simulation on PCs, and it will also let programmers debug and tune their programs with runtime info. Transmeta's tools will be shipped to developers in Q4 2005.

Sony has acquired SN Systems Limited, a leading middleware supplier best known for its renowned ProDG tool. The company has had a 10-year-plus relationship with SCE. With its agreement to become a part of Sony, SN Systems will continue to deliver upgraded editions of its ProDG and other development tools as well as provide extensive support to developers.

Chatani revealed that there are already nine major middleware vendors that will be releasing development programs for the PS3, including Metrowerks, CRI Middleware, NDL, Web Technology, Alia, Dolby, Softimage, Autodesk, and RAD. He said that there are currently 2,000 SDK libraries available for development of PS3 games, but that number will expand to over 20,000 libraries when those of new licensing partners such as Havok and Ageia are added.

For developers that want to learn the basics of how to program for the PS3, Sony will be releasing the source code, documents, and graphics for the "duck demo" in August. According to Chatani, the demo is a good example of how the PS3's physics and shader programs can be used; if even just one duck in the bathtub moves, it impacts the movement of all the other ducks in real time.

Sony has also signed an agreement with Epic Games. It has obtained sublicensing rights to Epic's Unreal Engine 3, a game development framework which was the basis of the flashy "Man versus machine" technical demo at E3. Unreal Engine 3 includes a programmable shaders tool, physics engine, and GUI-based physics attribution tool, as well as other tools, such as scenario development, movie-scene development, and particle animation tools.

Unlike the other development tools, the Unreal Engine 3 will not be for free. Publishers will be given an evaluation version in September, and they can choose whether to purchase the suite at the end of November. Sony did not disclose the Unreal Engine 3's price during the meeting, but assured developers that it will be "extremely affordable."
Epic Games' founder and CEO Tim Sweeney appeared on stage to show the powers of the PS3 and Unreal Engine 3's programmable shader tool, using the man-against-robot demo from E3 and a new first-person demo that featured a corridor with different effects. With the Unreal Engine turned on, the graphics looked like they were taking full advantage of the PS3's capabilities, with realistic shadows and water effects. Turned off, the graphics looked much blander, like PS2 games with higher resolutions. "The shader programs here [in the demo] are typically about a hundred instructions long [per pixel]. With the PlayStation 2's graphic capabilities, it was about one to one, or two shader instructions [per pixel]," explained Sweeney, emphasizing the PS3's power.

Following Epic Games, Bandai showed off a real-time demo of its PS3 Gundam game. The game is clearly still in development, as the demo featured a low frame rate, but high-resolution graphics and detailed mechs. Bandai Games company president Shin Unozawa revealed that the demo is only using one of the Cell's SPEs, and that he was amazed at the power of the PS3. The demo was developed by Bandai subsidiary BEC, and was made solely with in-house developed engines and shading programs.

After Bandai, Koei showed a real-time demo of its PS3 game, Ni-Oh, which featured a Dynasty-Warrior-esque character fighting multiple enemies. Pausing the game and changing the camera angles, Koei chairman Keiko Erikawa zoomed in on the character's face to show its detail, which even showed the pores on the skin. Flanked by an assistant wielding a PS2 controller, Erikawa explained that with the PS2, developers were able to allot about 1,000 polygons on a character's face. With the PS3, Erikawa's team was able to allot up to 1.5 million polygons. Erikawa explained that additional polygons allow for more subdivision surfaces, allowing more wrinkles and personalities to the face. Erikawa also zoomed in on the door of the room in the demo, and showed how the PS3 allows the reflection on the floor to change naturally when the camera's angle is shifted around. Like Bandai, Koei developed its demo using its self-produced program engines for the PS3. "Our challenge will be to create a game that is as high quality as the graphics the PS3 can create. We look forward to the Tokyo Game Show," commented Erikawa at the end of her presentation.

Following the real-time demo presentations, Sony announced a number of new PS3 games and showed their trailers, which were created solely with in-game footage. New titles announced at the meeting were; Lair, developed by game studio Factor 5 and Sony Computer Entertainment America; Endless Saga, developed by Korean maker Webzen; a new Genji title, developed by Game Republic; a new mech game tentatively named as "Project Force", developed by From Software; and Resident Evil 5 by Capcom. The trailers are available for viewing below.

In his final remarks, Kutaragi hinted that PS3 demos of games will be playable at the Tokyo Game Show in September. "We hope to use the Tokyo Game Show as a chance for everyone to get to know, or possibly experience, what next-generation entertainment is all about," he said.
10 year life cycle?
And it's expensive.

these news are not new, but it sums up what sony's objectives are.

Last edited:

The rumours of discs only being playable on a single machine are false:

Jennie Kong said:
I would like to clarify that this is false speculation and that PlayStation 3 software will not be copy protected to a single machine but will be playable on any PlayStation 3 console.

Thank fuck for that, that would have been the one of the worst decisions in console history.

But BluRay is apparently gonna be next to impossible to copy (i.e. for PES patching for example). Its not a software issue (which in the past can be easily cracked) but something to do with the laser.

Apparently, when copying the disc onto a harddrive, it reads different data to that to that which was originally burnt (or sumthin like that). You can't for example, make a HD copy of a film. For some odd reason, this was the why Microsoft were adamant of going to BluRay :eh:

FOOD FOR THOUGHT GUYS, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

I get the feeling alot of people here are agravated with sony's tactics. I just wanted to make a couple of points. The first being that Sony are relying heavily on the PS3 for the long-term survival of the company. With the electronics market worldwide now becoming open Sony has lost its old "superiority" label as the market is much more competitive thanks to the koreans.

Sony are playing the same trick they did with SEGA on both the SATURN and DREAMCAST. Sega released the Saturn in MAY 1995 a couple of months before the PS3 and the machine flopped although it was sold out for the first two months. The same happened again with the DREAMCAST as sega released it almost 18 months before the PS2 and it eventually lead to the downfall of the company. I agree with Microsoft releasing the Xbox 360 months before the PS3 as it is essential for them to compete with Sony's dominance. Nintendo never have to worry as they have an established and faithful fanbase called "Kids" as well as people whom religiously play Zelda etc. Microsoft however want to win customers so had to rush the 360. I agree with many people that complain about waiting up to an extra year for the PS3 but most people did that with the PS1 & PS2 instead of rushing to buy a SATURN or DREAMCAST.

Dont get me wrong i am no sony fan, as i own a PS2 and XBOX but a friend of mine whom has a masters in computer design & architecture told me that the PS3 technically looks like the greatest thing since the first PC. He told me that people in the computer industry still have their mouths open from seeing what the CELL PROCESSOR can do. He highlighted that it having 7 SPE's (Cores) makes it faster than 95% of computer processors out there today. Whilst the RSX he claims has the new bsd952101 graphics synthesizer the first of its kind in a Graphics chipset. The Xbox 360 is a great console and definetly worth the money, technologically he also said that it was definetly sumthing he would buy as its architecture is brilliant, but if the PS3 and XBOX 360 were compared he claimed it was a landslide victory for Sony.

So maybe it will be worth the wait after all. Just some food for thought.

Word in Japan is that Konami are releasing 2 Soccer games for the Next Generation., maybe Xbox 360 and PS3 will get different soccer. Interesting!

Another point regarding "rockykabir" comments about Blu-ray not being able to be copied. I lived in singapore for a year in 2001 and met some of the worlds leading modders. Many of them do it as a hobby and not to save money on games, believe me they will crack it, sony know that in Asia (Middle East and South East) all their console sales are based on people able to buy pirated games. They will turn a blind eye!

suffdaddy said:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT GUYS, PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE

Sony are playing the same trick they did with SEGA on both the SATURN and DREAMCAST. Sega released the Saturn in MAY 1995 a couple of months before the PS3 and the machine flopped although it was sold out for the first two months. The same happened again with the DREAMCAST as sega released it almost 18 months before the PS2 and it eventually lead to the downfall of the company. I agree with Microsoft releasing the Xbox 360 months before the PS3 as it is essential for them to compete with Sony's dominance. Nintendo never have to worry as they have an established and faithful fanbase called "Kids" as well as people whom religiously play Zelda etc. Microsoft however want to win customers so had to rush the 360. I agree with many people that complain about waiting up to an extra year for the PS3 but most people did that with the PS1 & PS2 instead of rushing to buy a SATURN or DREAMCAST.

Dont get me wrong i am no sony fan, as i own a PS2 and XBOX but a friend of mine whom has a masters in computer design & architecture told me that the PS3 technically looks like the greatest thing since the first PC. He told me that people in the computer industry still have their mouths open from seeing what the CELL PROCESSOR can do. He highlighted that it having 7 SPE's (Cores) makes it faster than 95% of computer processors out there today. Whilst the RSX he claims has the new bsd952101 graphics synthesizer the first of its kind in a Graphics chipset. The Xbox 360 is a great console and definetly worth the money, technologically he also said that it was definetly sumthing he would buy as its architecture is brilliant, but if the PS3 and XBOX 360 were compared he claimed it was a landslide victory for Sony.

So maybe it will be worth the wait after all. Just some food for thought.

Word in Japan is that Konami are releasing 2 Soccer games for the Next Generation., maybe Xbox 360 and PS3 will get different soccer. Interesting!

Where to start....

Firstly the PS2 did put the nail in the Dreamcast coffin, that is for sure. However it wasn't the PS2 that killed the Dreamcast, it was Sega and the lack of 3rd part publishing that killed it. Sega were shit at advertising and to think that the console had no EA games is shocking. The DC was dead before the PS2 arrived.

The Cell processor is a beast that is for sure but whether it is practical in it's architecture is yet to be seen for the games industry. Comparing the two consoles is pointless and I don't want any kinda of console wars to start over it. Some things the PS3 can do better, some things the 360 can do better. At the end of the day you should buy the system which has the games you want to play on it.

Konami have already announced that Winning Eleven will be on the 360. Knowing how lazy Konami are, I doubt they can be arsed to develop two games at once. They are barely capable of producing enough worthwhile updates in each iteration of WE and PES. ;)

LemonJelly said:
Where to start....

Firstly the PS2 did put the nail in the Dreamcast coffin, that is for sure. However it wasn't the PS2 that killed the Dreamcast, it was Sega and the lack of 3rd part publishing that killed it. Sega were shit at advertising and to think that the console had no EA games is shocking. The DC was dead before the PS2 arrived.

So true! The Dreamcast was an incredible machine but it was ridiculous the way that Sega treated it. So many games were promised for it but many ended up getting cancelled. The marketing was terrible (apart from the fact they sponsored Arsenal that year - I think all their budget went on that) and had no chance up against the PS2.

TBH, my only reason for leaving the Dreamcast was for PES and GTA.

suffdaddy said:
Another point regarding "rockykabir" comments about Blu-ray not being able to be copied. I lived in singapore for a year in 2001 and met some of the worlds leading modders. Many of them do it as a hobby and not to save money on games, believe me they will crack it, sony know that in Asia (Middle East and South East) all their console sales are based on people able to buy pirated games. They will turn a blind eye!

lol....Neither Sony or Microsoft are gonna make a profit on the PS3 or XBox. In fact, don't they lose something like $60 on each one? The money they make are from the games, the online services and maybe the peripherals. I'm sorry "suffdaddy" but Sony won't turn a blind eye.

Lemonjelly, i agree with your point on the DREAMCAST death being down to SEGA's inability to advertise and get 3rd party license. However with regards to your comments about the Cell Processor I disagree. For years people have played video games on their PC's using intel/amd processors, these however are not designed to cater for the needs of video games specifically. These processors are designed to handle operating systems as well as other programs. I will admitt that intel/amd have gaming in mind when these processors are developed however they must cater for the needs of many other features a PC must fulfill. Over the years all game analysts will tell you that playing games on an Apple PC particularly the Power Mac is a much more enjoyable experience due to the fact that the Apple features a IBM processing unit with 3 cores (like the 360) as well as some having dual processors. Another point is that game makers have found ways to use these processors along with intel/amd to run games as well as the operating system.

The cell processors which is a far superior IBM processor (developed by IBM, Toshiba and Sony et al.) has many of the foundations found in the current MAC processors as well as the IBM processor in the Xbox 360. You must remember though what distinguishes it are the 7 SPE's and PPE. Both PPE and SPEs are programmable in C/C++ using a common API provided by libraries. According to Sony, a compiler, debugger, IDE, performance analyzer, and Cell emulator have been made available to developers. IBM has developed a pseudo-filesystem for Linux coined "Spufs" that simplifies access to and use of the SPE resources. IBM is currently maintaining the Linux kernel and GDB ports, while Sony maintains the GNU toolchain (GCC, binutils). Therefore there is much to go on that shows that the processor is much more than suitable for the games industry, even more than the EMOTION ENGINE found in PS2's.

With regards to comparing the consoles, there is a point to this. When people compared the PS2 and XBOX it was clear that the XBOX was more powerful and could be seen in the graphics alone. I agree buying the console depends on the games you want but inevitably LEMONJELLY whether u like it or not there is gonna be a console war, no matter what me and you do. This is business and business is competition.

I do believe based on that source that there will also be two soccer games made buy Konami as with the PS1 and N64. The two were made by sony but one by KCET (Tokyo) and the other by KCEO (Osaka). Microsoft requested that Konami release PES for the XBOX as the XBOX owners were deperate. The idea appealed to Konami as they had reached the hardware capacity of the PS2. In Japan however Winning Eleven is strictly a PS2 games, whilst PES the inferior crap they give to us living in the rest of the world is available on most consoles. The Japs keep the best stuff for themselves, i cant blame them though!

The reason sony turn a blind eye my friend because in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai, Sony sell consoles like hotcakes. Whilst growing up there my friend all my rich arab friends had every console. whilst the not so rich and majority of the population all bought pre-modded consoles (this is the norm over there). But sony in the middle east over price the console as they know they wont make money of games, when u comsider a PS2 still costs $220 over there till today. You can even buy modded PS2's in the SONY store in DUBAI! Sony know what goes on but turn a blind eye as they sell an estimated 150 Million consoles in the Middle east alone, this is where microsoft is missing out on a piece of the pie. I think i know of one friend in Dubai who owns an XBOX that he bought on holiday in london. All the others own a PS2 due to the cheap games ($4 per game) and great sony advertising.

Won't even pretend to understand the technical stuff.

Have to agree with LJ about the Dreamcast being dead before PS2 even arrived, although I'd say a large part of that was down to the fact you could play copies on it without any sort of mod or boot disc at all!

There will be a console war, but power won't be the decision-maker here it's the games - Xbox is clearly more powerful than PS2, yet PS2 is still the dominant console, it's sold more than Xbox taken from the date that machine hit the street. Power doesn't count for that much, IMO.

I doubt very much that there will be two seperate Konami football franchises next generation. They've worked hard to establish the Winning Eleven brand, they're in direct competition with EA's FIFA and they're not going to jeopardise what they've done so far in terms of licensing and fanbase by producing another franchise. They might still only release it on Sony's machine in Asia, but that didn't stop them producing it for Microsoft in other regions and it won't stop them this time either.

Last edited:

You don't have to sell the Cell processor to me, I work for the company who designed it. Anything that makes us even more money is good in my book. I didn't say it wouldn't be great for gaming, I just said that development could be tricky to start with, just like any new hardware.

Yeah you are right that there will be a console war between the consoles at a business level. I didn't mean that. What I don't want is a bitch fest of words on this forum regarding which system is better.

Last edited:

Dont worry APPLEJELLY :-p, i aint having an argument with u, u clearly know what ure talking about unlike the others in this forum. What is your predicted PS3 release date?

cheers

suffdaddy said:
Dont worry APPLEJELLY :-p, i aint having an argument with u, u clearly know what ure talking about unlike the others in this forum. What is your predicted PS3 release date?

cheers

I wasn't argueing with you either mate, just laying down a ground rule for anyone reading.

Predicted PS3 release date in the UK, I would say either Q4 2006 or Q1 2007.

cheers, i think i might as well go for a japanese version.

cheers mate

suffdaddy said:
The reason sony turn a blind eye my friend because in places like Saudi Arabia and Dubai, Sony sell consoles like hotcakes. Whilst growing up there my friend all my rich arab friends had every console. whilst the not so rich and majority of the population all bought pre-modded consoles (this is the norm over there). But sony in the middle east over price the console as they know they wont make money of games, when u comsider a PS2 still costs $220 over there till today. You can even buy modded PS2's in the SONY store in DUBAI! Sony know what goes on but turn a blind eye as they sell an estimated 150 Million consoles in the Middle east alone, this is where microsoft is missing out on a piece of the pie. I think i know of one friend in Dubai who owns an XBOX that he bought on holiday in london. All the others own a PS2 due to the cheap games ($4 per game) and great sony advertising.

Mate.....I feel really bad but you really are talking like a fanboy now (well I can't say I expected much considering ur avatar). The percentage of people in the Midd East who will buy all consoles is tiny compared to the market in the rest in the world - not enough to solve all of Sony's finances. And they are not gonna make a profit on their consoles FFS! Its the games!

Apple are one of the only few companies that are the opposite. They make their money on the iPod hardware as opposed to selling songs on iTunes.

Maybe they are making profit on the PS2 now but thats because they are using even cheaper components and/or the costs have come down. But by the time the PS3 comes, a bluray drive will cost near abouts a price of a PS3 anyway so its highly unlikely they will make a profit!

whatever u say man!

Correction: PS2 sales 2000-2005

Middle East Sales: 15.6 million (middle east over 5 years)
European Sales: 21.6 million (over 5 years)

europe, has 4 times the population of middle east

the number speak for themselves, and their money talks man

but whatever makes you happy, ok young buck?

Last edited:

suffdaddy do I have to spell it out to you? Sony don't have much of a profit margin on their consoles! OK fairplay, it seems I was proved wrong in that the middle east actually buys quite a few consoles. However, from what you tell me, I doubt they buy as much legit games as they do in Europe(!).

It is ludicrious to even think Sony are happy to turn a blind eye to all that. Its more of the case that they consider it a lost cause now (hence perhaps why they charge extra for the console itself?).

suffdaddy said:
whatever u say man!

Correction: PS2 sales 2000-2005

Middle East Sales: 15.6 million (middle east over 5 years)
European Sales: 21.6 million (over 5 years)

europe, has 4 times the population of middle east

the number speak for themselves, and their money talks man

but whatever makes you happy, ok young buck?
you forgot to add the US.. and rocky is right... they lose money on each console sold, even if they sell it for $220... they make money on the games dude.... it doesnt matter how many you sell, if your taking a loss on each one, your taking a loss overall, simple economics, the middle east and parts of asia, they lose there ass in money since there are little if no laws against pirating

thats why we end up paying the difference over her with more expensive games etc. sony will begin to make a profit after 2 years. Plus they do sell legit games in the middle east as if u want a brand new game u have to buy it legit. Believe me sony know about that market otherwise would they sell modded PS2's in the SONY SHOP?

I just want the gamez to rock, and since it will be a year b4 the ps3 arrives i'll probably have a x360 b4. And that won't sopt me of buying the ps3.

suffdaddy said:
thats why we end up paying the difference over her with more expensive games etc. sony will begin to make a profit after 2 years. Plus they do sell legit games in the middle east as if u want a brand new game u have to buy it legit. Believe me sony know about that market otherwise would they sell modded PS2's in the SONY SHOP?

Wrong, you are making a lot of assumptions. I have friends in the middle east and legit games are few and far between Legit shops sell pirated software and will mod your PS2 for you, and the new games are always available pirated before they are officially released.

JayD said:
Wrong, you are making a lot of assumptions. I have friends in the middle east and legit games are few and far between Legit shops sell pirated software and will mod your PS2 for you, and the new games are always available pirated before they are officially released.

True, this is the case in places like Kuwait and UAE.

Singapore, Thailand............ the list is endless

TheWolf said:
Yeah, bollocks to that! I went ahead and bought a 360 on eBay yesterday when I saw the dang timeline for hte PS2 release. Sony are being too arrogant. They'll be millions upon millions of happy 360 gamers by the time the PS3 is released.

Given it took almost 5 years for programmers to get the PS2 to reach it's potential, they'll be no point getting a PS3 even if it does end up being more powerful than the 360 because it'll take years before any software can be written which even begins to tap into it.

Screw Sony. I'll just enjoy my 360.

Awww shit. . is this THE WOLF?? Of patching fame? *humbled*.

Either way, be careful of ebay - couple friends got badly burned this year on there.

Howard Stinger reveals that the PS3 will sell for $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows.

Sony's next console, the Playstation 3, is set to release sometime in late 2006 in North America. Along with the capabilities to play the next generation media format called Blu-ray.

Because the first standalone Blu-ray DVD players are expected to cost $1,000 or so, Sony is essentially giving a free next-generation DVD player to every PS3 customer. Howard Stinger stated, according to CNN Money , that Sony will be selling the PS3 at a loss for around $300 to $400 and will come with a bundle of games, movies, and TV shows, many of which would be Sony's own.

It is also most likely that Sony will be making price cuts on their current-generation platform, the PS2, to counter the early release of the Xbox 360 in North America this month.

Looks nice, but in a year much can happen.

"...late 2006 in North America."

Doesn't bode well for us Europeans. Spring 2007 then?! How shite is that.

yeah, :( fucked up shit. I mean with all the time in the world they have from the japanese launch to the US launch, one could assume they would have more than enough machines for everyone including us europeans-that-stay-for-last-everytime-some-japanese-smartass-launches-something-hot. I very much doubt there would be a shortage of PS3's :\

Back
Top Bottom