Sony PlayStation 3

Re: PlayStation 3 - Official Thread (Design, Screens, Videos)

ok, im here with some PS3 news. Its sort of new, taken from an interview with Kaz Hirai by US OPM on the 14th.

It was pretty long, chatting about the PS history, so I got the better parts out of it:

OPM INTERVIEW said:
OPM: Consumers have been pretty reflective about the PS2 now that the PS3 is on the horizon, particularly about the hard drive and online play. Is Sony as a company planning to stay the course or is it going to lead the pack with online, the hard drive, or extra features?

KH: The hard drive is really a tactical method for getting entertainment content and having consumers interact with it, but more on a strategic level, online-especially in the next iteration of hardware-is going to be like air conditioning in a car. I can't imagine any car without it. We showed that online in the PS2 generation isn't going to be the end all be all, but it's become a more integral part of the experience, and I think we've proven that. If you look at the latest metrics, SOCOM 3, which has been out for two weeks now [as of the time of this interview]-we're looking at numbers of more than 40,000 peak simultaneous users, and you guys are playing around four hours on average [per day]. These are some staggering numbers.

As far as going forward, the biggest challenge we have is that we have a huge install base of PS2 users and a growing install base of PSP users. You have to realize that when we launch the PlayStation 3 next year-we've been in the PS2 business
We've proven over the past 10 years with three products that we can deliver.
for a good five years-we're going to have a huge install base of users, so we don't have the luxury that other platforms have where they say, "The old platform is the old platform. This is the new platform, and we'll have online optimized for the new platform." When we launch a PS3 online service, we certainly want to take advantage of the PS3, the technology it brings, and offer a great online experience for PS3 users, but at the same time, we want to make sure we bring along the huge install base of PS2 users and the install base of PSP users and have them be able to take part in the online experience as well. What we want to accomplish is not be cutting edge for cutting edge's sake, but to come up with something that everyone who has a PlayStation console can enjoy. But we want to push the envelope for the PS3. It's a challenge, but it's a challenge that's going to pay great dividends.

OPM: Is there a sense that the PS3 needs to be rushed out with the Xbox 360 being first to market? Or is Sony taking its time and making sure that everything that needs to be there on launch day will be there?

KH: Yeah, you pretty much answered the question. You probably know by looking at our history that we've never been first to market with any of our products. Saturn was there before the original PlayStation, and Dreamcast was out before the PS2. Plus, there have been so many handhelds before the PSP. People, especially people up north on the West Coast, seem to put a lot of credence on being out before the other consoles. If you take a look at when our competitors came out in the market, we had upward of 3 [million] to 5 million PS2 units when our competitors came out with a platform. Consumers adopted our platform because [they like our content] and not because we were first to market. And, first to market, from what we can tell, has never been an advantage.

At the end of the day, it's all about the entertainment content that you bring to the consumers, to the PlayStation family of products. We're going to make sure we're your family and that we'll take care of you. The last generation isn't just going away.

OPM: So you're saying content will be king for the next generation, but it seems the PS3 has a technological advantage as well.

KH: The technological advantage is almost a given, but by itself, it doesn't mean very much. What kind of software do you have to help drive that technological innovation? We've proven over the past 10 years with three products that we can deliver, whether it's with first-party or third-party support.

[Secret Weapon: SOCOM is an immensely popular game, and it serves as evidence that the Sony model for online play can work. But one can't help but wonder if it wouldn't be even more successful with an Xbox Live-like service to back it up.]

OPM: With that technological advantage, costs in game development are increasing. Will these costs scare developers away from the PS3?

KH: If I look at just the closed world of PlayStation products, the answer is no. Yes, costs are going to be expensive compared to the last generation, but we bring the three-platform strategy to the table because we're giving publishers the opportunity to be in a healthy environment that allows them to invest in PS3 development.

If you expand that out to the other platforms, I don't know that it holds water. If you're doing development for the Xbox 360, how much are you going to be able to advertise that or get support from the back end with revenue that you may get from current-generation titles. That's questionable. But if you look at the PlayStation business, we're providing that one solution that allows for good revenue on the PS2 and PSP that allows people to go spend it on PS3 development.

OPM: By that same token, does it worry you that developers will take a lowest-common- denominator design philosophy, thereby not using all of the PS3's features?

KH: If a company embarks on that strategy, most of the time they're going to find that there are companies that don't do that and optimize for every platform. That's going to be a lot more compelling for consumers, so if you're trying for the lowest common denominator, it's going to show up in your software and affect how consumers support your title, which is probably not very much.

OPM: So is the PlayStation 3 going to take on the role of a PC as a full entertainment device?

KH: We've always brought additional functionality to our products that people find useful. The PS3, with online and Blu-ray capabilities-these are the things that consumers are going to find [useful], as well as its game-playing capabilities.

OPM: What about the PlayStation 3 controller? Is it going to stay like that?

KH: That was a prototype that was shown, and it's a tall order that Kutaragi-san ran past the designers. We've gone through two consoles with essentially the same controller design, and it's time for a fresh approach. We're going to look at the form factor, but at the same time we want it to feel familiar. It's difficult to balance the two. It's a work in progress. We certainly want to make sure that when you hold it in your hands that you've come home to something familiar.

OPM: What do you think it was that hooked the mainstream onto the PlayStation more so than any other platform?

KH: We were able to legitimize interactive entertainment, more than any other company has been able to. It's OK if you are over college age to sit down and play interactive entertainment. It's OK to say to your girlfriend, want to play some games? Videogames that is. [Laughs] It's OK for adults to spend time playing games. The reason we were able to do that was because, between first and third party, we could bring content that appealed to a wider audience. Polygonal 3D allowed users to enjoy titles that weren't just side-scrolling anymore, making them a more compelling entertainment option.

OPM: By that same token, it's brought a whole new set of eyes on the industry- eyes that don't necessarily understand the concept of videogames. Now we've seen more attention paid to violence and games and their negative effect on culture.

KH: Every time I have the opportunity, I will go on my soapbox and talk ears off about the whole violence in videogames issue and put it into context. The mainstream media still looks at the business as something for under 12-year-olds. As we know, nothing could be further from the truth. Just like in books or motion pictures, there's right entertainment content for different demographics. We've gone out of our way in explaining the rating system. We evolved it a lot quicker than other industries. We've done a lot of different things. The ESRB and the ESA have been very proactive as well, and I think it's come a long way.

OKAY, now another interview. This time with Phil Harrison. I found this more interesting because he speculates a world wide launch in here, aswell as saying how important online gaming is to Sony:

GAMESINDUSTRY.BIZ INTERVIEW said:
As the PlayStation 2 approaches its sixth Christmas on the market, we spoke to Sony's development chief Phil Harrison about the present and future of the firm's console ambitions - including his thoughts on online gaming, the HD era and the future for videogames retail.

As president of Sony Computer Entertainment's Worldwide Studios, Phil Harrison is one of the key architects of the future of the PlayStation brand - overseeing the company's software development efforts for all of the consoles in the PlayStation family. Few people are better-placed to talk not only about the success of PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable, but about the firm's plans, hopes and ambitions for next year's PlayStation 3.

GamesIndustry.biz spoke to Harrison this week about the status of PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable, what the company has chosen to reveal about PlayStation 3 - and perhaps more importantly, why it's chosen to reveal what it has. Read on for a glimpse at the thinking informing the decisions of the most important company in the videogames business from one of the key figures in the impending console war.

GamesIndustry.biz: It's been an amazing year for the PlayStation brand. What's the feeling like internally now you've gone past the 100 million unit mark with PS2?

Phil Harrison: I don't know whether we're supposed to be satisfied or elated. Obviously it's a significant milestone by any objective measure; to get to 100 million units of anything is impressive.

I think what is more impressive is the speed at which we did it. PlayStation 1 was the first console to get to 100 million units and it did that in about eight years, I think, and PlayStation 2 did it in five years and nine months - so that's two years and three months faster than PlayStation 1. What that says is that we're reaching more people more quickly, and actually at a comparatively higher price point than PlayStation 1.

I think that shows a lot of very positive signs. Sorry - long answer to a short question, but I think it shows that the fundamental foundations of the business are incredibly healthy.

GI: How many PS2s do you think you'll eventually sell?

PH: Well at this rate we should be getting up to well into the mid-hundred-millions - I mean, 140, 150 million would be a fantastic achievement - but I'm not unfortunately able to make any predictions on that, because it's an issue which would have implications for our share price, so I'll have to decline to answer that one.

GI: You've just acquired Guerrilla - is that a sign of how you plan to operate in the coming years, or did you just feel it was the right time to bring the developer into the fold?

PH: We've had a long time and a great working relationship with Guerrilla and they were an exclusive developer working with us. To all intents and purposes they were part of the family anyway, so it was just a very natural progression to bring them in to be our partners as our employees, and really part of the team.

Obviously in order to acquire, the company itself has to want to sell, and in this particular case the founders and shareholders of the company were looking to sell, we were looking to expand our development talent, so it was a great fit.

As to what that says about our future strategy, I think I'd just say that we're always looking for the best developer talent, whether it's hiring them individually or working with teams, and continuing strongly. It may not be the last time we acquire a company but we have no plans at the moment.

GI: What can we expect to see from the PS2 in the next year now that we're gearing up for the PS3 launch? What does the machine's support look like in the next 12 months?

PH: The software line-up from first- and third-party is as strong as ever, and I think that this is something the industry has learned from the transition from PSone to PS2 - that a number of publishers jumped off the PSone format prematurely. What we're seeing with PS2 is developers and publishers around the world continuing to make strategic-level investment in the format.

Obviously we'll find the kind of consumer who is buying a PlayStation 2 in year six is very different to the kind of person who bought a PlayStation 2 in year 2000 - the sixth and the seventh year of the format are clearly reaching the mass market, not necessarily younger consumers but definitely more mass-market consumers. Hence the success of things like Buzz, Singstar and EyeToy, which are continuing to be core parts of our release schedule going forward.

GI: So you don't think that the demographic in terms of the age range is going to fall as it did with PSone?

PH: There is inevitably some element of the demographic that gets younger, but the reality is that it just gets wider. You see, some element of PlayStation 2 being handed down to younger members of the family when older brother or sister buys a PlayStation 3 - we saw that with PSone - but what we also saw with PSone is that it just gets wider; we get 78-year-olds enjoying games as well as three and four-year-olds.

I think that one of the things our industry's achieved in the last generation cycle is genuine mass-market acceptance and the average age of a PlayStation user is kind of an irrelevance now - it's really as prevalent as watching television.

GI: Do you think that Europe's become increasingly important to Sony over the PlayStation's life cycle, and if so is this a trend we can see continuing as you get ready to launch the PS3?

PH: Well, to the first part of that question, the answer is that Europe has always been a key part of the PlayStation success story; the PlayStation 2 business [is] getting up to 40 million units now in Europe and that's an astonishing achievement. As to what that means for the launch of the next generation, it obviously means that Europe will be a vital part of the launch strategy. Whether there's a subtext to your question or not I can't answer.

GI: Not really...

PH: I mean, whether you were trying to suggest that Europe would be getting the console first as a result...

GI: Well, there's been a lot of speculation about that in the press lately. From what has been said, spring 2006 is still a key date, but from what I understand Kaz Hirai said you're still deciding whether to go with a worldwide launch?

PH: Well you'll have to ask David Reeves - I can't speak for Europe in when they would launch PlayStation 3, but we haven't made any announcements and I don't think it's right to speculate.

GI: The Xbox 360's just launched, and with it comes downloadable content on a meaningful scale - how do you see the face of retail changing over the next generation?

PH: I think it will change tremendously. I mean, I think that PSP showed that you can have a successful network format with writable media - in the first three months of the PSP's life we handled over a million downloads - or we're just crossing the million, probably last week.

That's a million downloads from our own website of content to expand the user's experience, and I think as soon as you have a network-ready device - PSP, obviously PlayStation 3 - the extension and expansion of the user experience beyond the retail purchase becomes a reality. I think this is a very good trend for our industry.

GI: Would you say Sony missed the boat with online gaming in this generation, given the relative success of Live compared to PS2 Online? Is that a balance you're hoping to redress in the next generation?

PH: I've always been very admiring of some of the things Microsoft has managed to do with their branding and some of the consumer elements of their service, but it's always important to remember that more people play online games through PlayStation 2 than any other consoles. On a worldwide basis it is the most popular online console by virtue of the size of the installed base.

GI: Are you planning to make more of it in the next-generation, particularly in Europe?

PH: I think we will always look to delivering the best experience to the consumer that we can and part of that is going to be in the fact the PlayStation 3 from the beginning is a network device; it's an always on network device with many writable media formats supported as part of the format. When we launched PlayStation 2 it did not have network functionality built in as standard, and it was obviously a challenge to add that capability to the format after the launch.

GI: What do you think about the Xbox 360 generally, and things like the shortages of the console at the moment? Do you believe the theories that it's just a marketing ploy?

PH: No, I don't believe that for a second. I think that it's clear that they're making every unit that they can - whether that is enough for demand or they can't make enough is a question you'll have to put to Microsoft. It's definitely not done on purpose, I can assure you of that.

GI: Do you have an Xbox 360?

PH: Personally no, but there are a few in the office and obviously I've been checking it out.

GI: What are you general impressions?

PH: [Laughs] I think I'll say what David [Reeves] said. When you ask David he says, "Sorry, I don't do impressions." He's going to be at the end of the pier all week by the way! I think it's a lot better than their first introduction to the console business.

GI: You showed PS3 for the first time at E3 this year and the reaction was very positive - we know that you're not ready to discuss 2006 in detail yet, but how important a year would you consider 2005 in terms of the PlayStation 3 story?

PH: I think there were three key events in the PlayStation 3 story during 2005.

The first was the ISSCC, which is the semiconductor conference that took place in February where the Cell processor was announced, and from that the world could see that our intentions were to build a super-computer for entertainment. It was a very academic conference but the specifications and information that we revealed on Cell back then showed that our intentions were to build the most powerful consumer-focused computing device on the planet, and we have obviously achieved that.

The second key event was E3, coupled with the announcement that we were working with NVIDIA to provide a graphics chip - obviously the response to E3 was overwhelmingly positive and we were delighted with the response that we got, but I think there were also a few key messages there. The development community responded very strongly to the fact that we were working with NVIDIA and that the developers gained access to a very mature tool-chain from the beginning that allowed them to build on their expertise that they had developed in the PC area, particularly shaders, e.g. the graphics language.

And then the third key event was Tokyo Game Show where not only did we show a lot of forward momentum from a content point of view but you could see from the breadth of support that the PlayStation 3 has garnered from the industry that this is going to be the major format choice for the industry going forward.

GI: Why is it that you don't want to talk about the PS3 at the moment?

I think there are a couple of reasons for that. One is that we always have a strategy for when we share particular new information with the world, and we're in a period when we would rather focus on selling PSPs and PS2s - obviously this Christmas is a huge Christmas for retail. PlayStation-branded products, hardware and software, are the most important thing to retail around the world right now - that's where they're making their money - and it's important that we remain focused on exploiting our current business to the absolute maximum.

Clearly next year the emphasis will start to shift, and we will start to share with you at the appropriate time a lot of the cool things about PS3. We also perhaps didn't feel the need to be overly scared into making any announcements just because somebody else had launched beforehand - that wasn't part of our plans and isn't part of our plans.

HD is obviously a big topic in gaming at the moment. Microsoft has made 720p the default, Nintendo is kind of ignoring it - Sony seems to be taking a middle route, would you say that's true?

I think it really has to be redefined as to what you mean by high definition. High definition as far as the consumer is concerned means high definition movies, which means Blu-ray disc, and that is the reason that people will buy high definition display coupled with a player that is capable of playing movies and games, which is obviously PlayStation 3.

The true definition of HD is the three elements of the HD value chain - the display, the content and the hardware to play back that content, and PlayStation and Sony is the only organisation that has all three bits of the value chain together. As you well know the Xbox 360 doesn't play high definition movies and doesn't have true HD functionality - PlayStation 3 is the only format that has 1080-progressive, which is the true definition of HD, so it's really premature to be talking about the HD era. The HD era really only starts when we are on the market.

GI: Would you say that 2006 is a make or break year for PlayStation?

I think we've already made it - I don't think there's any risk of it being broken. Clearly it is an important year for the continuing growth of PSP, which will be probably the fastest-growing format during the year. Clearly it will be an important year for the furthering spread of PlayStation 2. As far as the world is concerned the big news will be the launch of PlayStation 3, so it's going to be a PlayStation year whichever way we look at it.

the second to last question answered why news has been thin on the ground. Really cant wait for CES on the 5th Jan :)

Cheers Adonis, cant wait for CES!
There should be tons of other gadgets like the 1080p Plamsas and LCDs. Shame I already bought my LCD.

I hope this console isnt a let down. They're making it sound like its almost a generation after the Xbox 360.

ashmufc said:
Cheers Adonis, cant wait for CES!
There should be tons of other gadgets like the 1080p Plamsas and LCDs. Shame I already bought my LCD.

Np. Makes me happy that I sent my tv back ;)

Runeedge I agree mate, the machine seems like light years ahead. If it is then Microsoft have messed up rather than Sony being awesome imo.

Regarding the CES, Sony have recently launched their official CES site.

Find it at : http://www.sony.com/ces/index.shtml

It launches on the 4th Jan, a day before the actual show starts.

For me this show will be the make or break of PS3 for me. They should announced loads of stuff including the launch date. If the PS3 is out before summer in Europe then Im waiting for it. If it isnt then Im gonna re-buy a 360. Simple as.

One of my mates who works in a certian mag told me though that Sony have a bigger show called (funnily enough) the Playstation Conference in February. Im sure they will hold back certain info at CES to let this show have a bigger impact.

It shows alot of promise, and since ps3 has incorporated blu-ray with it, HD-DVD seems that is going to fight a losing battle.
Well, i just want MGS! :mrgreen:

Well of course they would make it sound a generation ahead of Xbox 360! thats a marketing ploy in an attempt to tell us Gamers to wait for the PS3 and we wont be dissapointed.

However I personally will get them both. Still waiting to try and get my hands on a 360 though.

DJ

Kataguri talks PS3:

Sony Computer pres says defective PS3 Cell chips may end up in home servers; back Blu-ray (again) as the only choice.

In the latest issue of Nikkei Electronics, Sony Computer Entertainment President Ken Kutaragi talked about some of the various functions and aesthetics of the Cell chip, which will be used in the PlayStation 3. In the article, Kutaragi detailed how the aesthetics of the Cell chip will cut its production costs as well as how it may also lead to a dual-CPU Cell home server.

Kutaragi stated earlier that although the Cell microprocessor comes with eight synergistic processor elements (SPEs) for multi-core processing, the chip only uses seven of them. Kutaragi explained that ignoring one SPE as a redundancy will improve the chip's production yield and allow costs to drop dramatically. In other words, Sony can ship a Cell chip with one defective SPE (out of its eight) as a working product, since the chip only uses seven SPEs to begin with.

"This is the ultimate aesthetic. The number of SPEs we equip to the Cell and how many we will actually use are two different things. I wanted to adopt the idea of 'redundancy' to the development of semiconductors. Logic LSIs, excluding memory chips, are considered defective and un-shippable if just one transistor or line doesn't work. If the Cell's final chip dimension is about 200 square millimeters, making one without any defects is extremely difficult. We can't reach our anticipated production yield with that. Of course we'll take various measures to lower the defect density, but that won't be enough. But by considering one or two SPEs as a redundancy from the very beginning, we can still use a Cell chip even if it's partially defective," Kutaragi said, who also revealed that a similar scheme would also be used for the PlayStation 3's RSX graphics processor.

"An interesting question is what will be done with the Cell chips that only have six working SPEs," continued Kutaragi. "We won't use it for the PS3, of course. Rather, I'm seriously thinking about using two of these chips to create a home server. Home servers have less of a constraint in case size and board dimension when compared to the PS3, and we can make enough space for two Cell chips. That will make it a product with a total of twelve SPEs. This is possible with the Cell since it can use as many SPEs as it needs. And this will bring a use to Cell chips that aren't fit for the PS3."

Kutaragi went on to explain that one of the reasons why the Cell chip for the PS3 was announced to run at 3.2GHz at E3 was due to heat issues. Back when the chip was first announced at the International Solid-State Circuits Conference (ISSCC), its spec said that the chip could run at 4GHz. "We could create a 4GHz Cell if we were aiming to sell it for a high-end computer," Kutaragi said. "There's also the issue of heat. We might have had to create the PS3 with a bigger body if we adopted a 4GHz chip for it."

Kutaragi commented that the PS3's detachable hard drive would most likely be 80GB, since that is the standard capacity of a general 2.5-inch hard drive. "We're going to run an all-purpose OS on it." Kutaragi said, which seems to back up his previous comments that he plans to pre-install Linux on the PS3's HDD.

Kutaragi was asked if he has any plans to add a DVD recorder or home server capability to the PS3. "In that case, you'll need at least one Terabyte of disc space" he said. "Even that much space won't be enough if it's going to be HDTV compliant. To put that much HDD space into this machine is impossible. Rather than to equip some mediocre amount of HDD space, it's better to make it detachable. There's also the possibility of a home server equipped with the Cell chip. But when we first release it as a game machine, we won't need a HDD."

Kutaragi also talked about his decision to adopt Blu-ray for the PlayStation 3 rather than wait a bit longer to see if the Blu-ray and HD-DVD factions would come to a final conclusion on a unified disc standard. "E3 was the last chance," Kutaragi said. "The PS3 is the console of the future, so I wanted an extreme amount of capacity. But for that, we need cutting-edge technology, and not technology that is currently available. My suggestion was to come to an agreement with a physical format that is as close to [the Blu-ray's] 0.1mm as possible. But the PS3 launches in Spring 2006. If we had continued to wait for a unified standard, we wouldn't be able to release the PS3. We no longer have any more time. It's game over."

Kutaragi strongly stressed that he has no plans to compromise on the Blu-ray's 0.1mm physical format, which gives it the upper hand to HD-DVD in terms of capacity. However, he said that he could wait until Spring 2006 to see if Sony and Toshiba could come up with a unified standard that's still based on the Blu-ray's physical format. As long as the change is only in the disc's logical structure, the PS3 can still adapt to it with some software updates. Despite Kutaragi's comments, it has been reported that the Toshiba and Sony are still in negotiations to work on a standard format.

Kutaragi also talked about the look of the PS3, commenting that he and Teiyu Goto, the console designer of the original PlayStation and the PS2, decided to give the PS3's body a curved surface after considering shapes that hadn't existed in either consoles or computers in the past. When asked if the curved surface made developing internal architecture difficult, Kutaragi said that internal architecture was already being considered when the body was designed, like where the BD-ROM reader's motor and connectors would be placed, as well as how heat would be released. Kutaragi also stated that he prepared three PS3 mock-ups for E3 in silver, white, and black. He settled on the silver one, after gathering a consensus from a variety of different developers and distributors.

"When we released the PlayStation in 1994, Nintendo's Famicom was mainstream," Kutaragi said. "We wanted to create a game machine that wouldn't lose to them, so it's true that we were conscious about the Famicom when we decided on the PS's color and shape. When we released the PS2 in 2000, our goal was to make it blend in naturally with home electronics. We wanted it to be lying around the TV, but not as a game machine, and we worked hard on its DVD playback capabilities. When people used the [original] PS, they'd take it out and unwrap the controller's cord, and then put it back when they're finished playing with it. I hated that. Home electronics always sit right next to a TV, and home electronics are black, so we made sure that the PS2 was black. However, the PS3 will go beyond home electronics and computers. There is no prior example to what the PS3 will be."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/20/news_6127799.html[img][/img]

So the PS3 will be silver? I'm confused.

ashmufc said:
So the PS3 will be silver? I'm confused.

Silver, powerful and will have Blu-Ray with an optional 80GB hdd - I am interested in seeing whether this machine will live up to the mass hype that will no doubt surround its launch.

Well, I think it's almost guaranteed success purely based on the sequels that'll no doubt appear on it. Stuff like Gran Turismo, MGS, Winning Eleven/PES, Final Fantasy, Wipeout, Tekken, feck, looaaaaads of quality series' that will make at least one appearance for sure.

ClassicD said:
Well, I think it's almost guaranteed success purely based on the sequels that'll no doubt appear on it. Stuff like Gran Turismo, MGS, Winning Eleven/PES, Final Fantasy, Wipeout, Tekken, feck, looaaaaads of quality series' that will make at least one appearance for sure.

Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry...

fifa... ;)

check this out:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=313&products_id=6997&

Lik-Sang have started pre-ordering already!

No Deposit requested, but they require a card number to guarentee your place.

heres the terms & conditions:

Special Pre-Order Terms & Conditions:
1. Your pre-order is not binding and you can cancel at any time.
2. Once release details are known, you will receive an email that you need to confirm.
3. Should you decide to confirm, you will keep your position in the pre-order list.
4. Unit price and features are not confirmed and can change at any time.
5. Release date is not confirmed and might change.
6. The product is listed with a dummy price - your credit card is NOT charged.
7. All special pre-orders are limited to a maximum of 1 unit.
8. Depending on release schedule, you will be offered choice between European, US or Japanese.
9. Choices and changes are also allowed if several editions/colors are made available.
10. Once games and accessories are confirmed, you will be able to add them to your order.

anyone tempted? :)

airjoca said:
ClassicD said:
Grand Theft Auto, Devil May Cry...

Honestly speaking apart from MGS, Final Fantasy and maybe Wipeout, I can't see anything else that will differentiate the 360 from the PS3....especially as GTA and PES is not Sony exclusive anymore...

GT and Tekken are just boring imo. And the latest Final Fantasy incarnations are frankly quite cack compared to FF7.

Sequels (and well...games overall) are just boring me nowadays. Perhaps this is why I'm not playing them as much as I used to back in the days.

I hope the arrival of Nintendo's console can change all this.... :(

Last edited:

Exclusives make alot of difference. Even GTA might still be one, or at least for a few months like San Andreas. MGS is extremely popular and confirmed as an exclusive, Tekken I admit lost it's charm to Soul Calibur, and GT needs new blood, but the name GT itself is important. There are plenty of quality games that Sony might be willing to pay for the exclusive, not counting surprises like God of War, that came from nowhere and was a great action game.

I know they said they'd support 360, but as the machine seems to be flopping in Japan I would take any WE/PES announcements with a pinch of salt - I can put up with sub-standard ports last gen, but they can't do it on 360.

GTA doesn't bother me as it'll more than likely be identical yet again, with nicer graphics. Never have I seen a game that does so many things averagely at best yet is praised as if it's gaming nirvana - the top-down GTAs were more fun. :eh:

And comparing the other FFs to FFVII is a bit harsh, that's an all-time classic ;).

ClassicD said:
And comparing the other FFs to FFVII is a bit harsh, that's an all-time classic ;).
I personally think there are a few other FFs that are better than FFVII. Its only because FFVII got more exposure outside Japan and any other before it.
If you were like me who played FF 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 before playing 7, I guarantee you that you'd be saying "Hey, that was ripped off from <insert ff game>!" every few hours.
But thats another debate...;) :mrgreen:

As for the PS3 preorder. I'd definately have done it if it was for the pal version, without even worrying about how high the cost of it would be.

It seems Sony got its hand on Unreal Tournament 2007.
I don't know if it will be launched to the x360 aswell but it doens't seem so. And it will have mouse and keyboard support for the ps3. hum... that's good since I hate playing FPS's on a controller.

FIRST PS3 LAUNCH TITLES REVEALED?

Vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment drops the names of two possible PS3 launch titles on to our laps.

11:36 Things are about to heat up; the Xbox 360 is already sold out in stores across this country but already our thoughts are turning to Sony's next-gen console which will rear its cell-powered head next year.

According to a report in the US Official Playstation Magazine, Jack Tretton, vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment America, has let drop the names of two possible PlayStation 3 launch titles, in the form of Incog's flight action game Warhawk and Factor 5's Lair.

Both games are unsurprising choices for launch candidates, given that they have both been extensively shown in all their next-gen glory in the form of trailers. But still, the thought that we could be playing these two games as early as spring 2006 on Sony's next gen console, has us veritably quivering at our keyboards.

SONY: PS3 ON TRACK FOR SPRING 2006

Japanese giant sticks to its guns for release date of it's next-gen console - but spring 2006 in which territories?

16:02 Sony has stated that its next-gen console PS3 is still on track for a spring 2006 release, according to a report on Reuters.

The Japanese giant reaffirmed its plan to have its next-gen console out early next year on Thursday this week. Great, clappity-clap and all that, although it's not clear whether Sony was referring to a release on its home turf, in North America, Europe, or whether it in fact intends to do a 'Microsoft' and opt for a worldwide simultaneous launch.

We guess we'll just have to wait and see on that one.
Source:CVG

Konami Soccer (working title)

we108ld.jpg

Last edited:

Imagine if they werent...

real as in real photos or real ingame pics? :shock:

but i doubt its ingame...

FFS they've got a date of 1996 on them, and even in your wildest dreams WE would never look like that on PS3. :roll:

ClassicD said:
FFS they've got a date of 1996 on them, and even in your wildest dreams WE would never look like that on PS3. :roll:

A reality check there from Classic :)

ClassicD said:

Those photos are not from 1996. The 1996 copyright is on every WE game.

And after seeing screenshots of The Getaway, I don't know what to expect from the PS3. It's amazing!

Last edited:

Those screenshots are 100% in-game. I know because I have played a demo in Japan.

Back
Top Bottom