PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

One-Nil down to City, last few minutes of the match, formation change, 3 up top and an aggressive counter system. A ridiculous driven maxed out L2 Manual High Pass sets Cavani through, and well, I just couldn’t resist attempting this half-volley L1 dink shot....

When it sits up like this, it would be cheeky not to ? Right ?! (Smiles)

People you know me know my favourite button on PES has always been R2, it does so much when it comes to controlled technique variations, many of which are never disclosed in the controls section.

The R2 Controlled Pass with X is the perfect example, but just wondered if people were aware of the R2 standing controlled tackle ? Pressing R2 in close range to tackle is great for ‘nicking the ball’ with composed finesse and results in very few, if any fouls, as opposed to double tap of X and that stabbed foot in challenge that can get blown for.

Try it....

Here is one I’ve just pulled off...

Started using R2 when jockeying during the myclub Co op Myclub comp week and I now use it all the time against ai and online opponents.
Nuysot sure why Konami don't shout about these things more. Without it you will be left for dead by pacy players even if you haven't committed to a tackle. If you player is retreating and his body position isn't right you will be punished.

It's very realistic this year but I still think Konami need to add more tools to the defensive side of things. Be it a body check or a bit of a shirt pull which they actually had previously.

It will click, even with its annoyances, there is some incredible replication of the Beautiful Game to be found.

I always feel changing little things of my own game and trying new things always reaps the benefits.

Anyone playing ML has to buy this player, a DMF, easily my favourite player on the game so far. He’s one of those hidden gems who has a special stat increase when played, and maybe even more so when I’d made him captain.

He runs my midfield ala Kante, he bosses the game, he’s irreplacable for me. A monster with a ridiculous engine.

He’s called S.ASCACIBAR. Go find him.

He’s certainly not known for his shooting, and has hit Row Z on a few occasions. But he has two goals for me, and my lord, they maybe my two best goals on this PES to date.

Ascacibar is from Argentina. Great project of a "crack" (that's how we call upcoming 'stars' here). Future National Team material. If he keeps it up, he'll definitely be in the Argentina NT after Russia 2018.

I noticed there was an Xbox games sale on last night and saw that PES was discounted which was good as I wanted to pick up the digital copy. Played a game on the demo and hated it, played another and it wasn't too bad. By the third game and after I worked out what camera angle I liked, it was good fun again. Will definitely look at buying it now.
p.s. Pitchside camera, 8, 0, 8 is what I enjoyed.

Played some more games post patch and must say the game does feel tighter.

Some things i have noticed :

- shots have less power on them, you need to fill the bar more
- same for headers
- more pass error
- cpu defending improved
- more fouls, still not a lot but definately more

Some of the negatives.

- not enough fouls
- cpu still spams through balls over the wings (although less than before)
- ref gives no cards after obvious yellow card fouls (both for me and cpu)
- too many goddamn backheels!!!!

All in all game has improved and i like playing it again.
Only thing left that really bothers me is those backheels. Especially when you pressure the cpu near their own penalty box. They do 100% accurate one touch passes and backheels to get out of a sticky situation.
I don't mind Barca or other top teams doing that, but it's EVERY team.

Other than that i can live with the other stuff and am having fun with this game again with a bit of frustration every now and then.

Played some more games post patch and must say the game does feel tighter.

Some things i have noticed :

- shots have less power on them, you need to fill the bar more
- same for headers
- more pass error
- cpu defending improved
- more fouls, still not a lot but definately more

Some of the negatives.

- not enough fouls
- cpu still spams through balls over the wings (although less than before)
- ref gives no cards after obvious yellow card fouls (both for me and cpu)
- too many goddamn backheels!!!!

All in all game has improved and i like playing it again.
Only thing left that really bothers me is those backheels. Especially when you pressure the cpu near their own penalty box. They do 100% accurate one touch passes and backheels to get out of a sticky situation.
I don't mind Barca or other top teams doing that, but it's EVERY team.

Other than that i can live with the other stuff and am having fun with this game again with a bit of frustration every now and then.

Amen to all of that.

Also, they have made the keepers less prone for the chip shot, they stand up a lot more now.

Yeah there is alot to like about PES. You would have to be really picky not to enjoy playing it this year.

However im not sure ML is quite right for me in order to enjoy the longevity of the mode and game. As it stands im dipping in and out of doing International competitions every few days.

I played a few games (online), noticed some things.

- The game definitely feels faster.

- PA0 feels easier (perhaps I'm just used to it). I still misplace passes although...

- The general awareness is still not good enough. I'll aim a pass at player but another player will override it (the intended receiver doesn't recognize the pass is meant for him) and get in the way (literally) or just 'intercept' the pass.

- Player switching has improved but stills needs further work in any additional patches.

- Something has changed with the tactics but I'm not sure yet what it is.

- I think some aspects of defending has improved. I can still do my preferred style but I need to adjust accordingly.

- The dribbling is still fantastic, I'll never get tired of slowing down to walking pace, shield the ball (Insigne) as I wait for support, an outlet or space to open up.

- Animations (and awareness) still cause unfair situations. E.g. my defender is dispossessed (fair enough, I was too cute with the ball) but then, said defender (not off balance) is now frozen for a second and doesn't know what to do next. "Oh no, I've lost the ball, the attacker is running away with it, what do I do?"

- Marek Hamsik is still my favourite player in the game. The game slows down for him and I can get past players by simply getting them off balance.

- Three saved formations is stupid and should be a criminal offence.

First few games since the patch - definitely an increase in aggression and fouls which is good. Teams are less one dimensional in their attacking structure, also good!

One thing PES has got really, really right this year is the lobbed / dink shot. I don't think I've ever had so much fun attempting lobs or putting the keeper on his arse with a fake shot then just dinking it over him.

On what level is this game not cheating? Beginner, amateur? After a few games its clearly annoying that your dmfs and cbs are just glued to their positions and watching the opp attack. They arent even try to go behind the ball receiver, not to mention intercept the pass to him. Not even when you set man marking.

Also fun to watch when 2-3 84+ rated defenders running behind attached to the back of a 73 rated striker. No tackle no foul. Nothing. No idea who states there is no scripting here.

As for the fouls.
Just had a 12 minute game in ML against Huddersfield (5 fouls w 1 yellow). Me 3 (fouls). No idea who states there are no fouls here.

First few games since the patch - definitely an increase in aggression and fouls which is good. Teams are less one dimensional in their attacking structure, also good!

One thing PES has got really, really right this year is the lobbed / dink shot. I don't think I've ever had so much fun attempting lobs or putting the keeper on his arse with a fake shot then just dinking it over him.

Agreed completely with the dink! I've been trying for years to do it in both games. And now they both made sure it was very doable. The first time I did it was in the Beta, through ball from Pogba, Mbappe 1v1 vs the keeper aaaand dink as he went down, the ball went up. The opposition defenders rushing towards goal to attempt a clearance, but the ball bounced just inside the line, and I hadn't enjoyed a virtual goal as much in a while. Also, they get stopped often by the AI keeper, so they don't feel overpowered to me, and it seems that better strikers are able to get a nice lob on it.

I should love those dinks, and the first few of them I scored were really satisfying... But they get old fast when you realise how overpowered they are. Makes for so many repetitive goals especially online, why would you try a variety of finishes, rounding the keeper etc when they fall for the dink pretty much every time?

Not played a lot since the patch so maybe it's a bit better now, but I hate the L1 lob this year in general even if the GK reactions were fixed. Way too consistent to get on target even on the weak foot, sprinting, first time to a moving ball dropping out of the air.

SparklingFinishedAtlanticsharpnosepuffer-size_restricted.gif

Just went into training mode and played around with it - this is on a Burton Albion player's weak foot (2/4 weak foot accuracy), who has finishing in the 60s, and you can score these over and over so consistently. And just running up to the keeper in 1 on 1, with correct timing they fall for it every single time which tells me it's not been fixed by the patch...

I played a few games (online), noticed some things.

- The game definitely feels faster.

- PA0 feels easier (perhaps I'm just used to it). I still misplace passes although...

- The general awareness is still not good enough. I'll aim a pass at player but another player will override it (the intended receiver doesn't recognize the pass is meant for him) and get in the way (literally) or just 'intercept' the pass.

- Player switching has improved but stills needs further work in any additional patches.

- Something has changed with the tactics but I'm not sure yet what it is.

- I think some aspects of defending has improved. I can still do my preferred style but I need to adjust accordingly.

- The dribbling is still fantastic, I'll never get tired of slowing down to walking pace, shield the ball (Insigne) as I wait for support, an outlet or space to open up.

- Animations (and awareness) still cause unfair situations. E.g. my defender is dispossessed (fair enough, I was too cute with the ball) but then, said defender (not off balance) is now frozen for a second and doesn't know what to do next. "Oh no, I've lost the ball, the attacker is running away with it, what do I do?"

- Marek Hamsik is still my favourite player in the game. The game slows down for him and I can get past players by simply getting them off balance.

- Three saved formations is stupid and should be a criminal offence.

+1

Played some nice games, but the last few were mostly frustration.

Ok, so there is supposed to be no scripting, and i do suck at this game, but why does the cpu scores very very often directly after i have just scored.
I'm really starting to notice that.

Also finding it harder to get shots off btw, there's Always a defender blocking it.

Every part of that goal from start to finish was a different class. Superb.

23798808_1618157581560776_70869052_o.jpg

ML. Manchester derby. City as cpu. Sterling even dived for a yellow when i tride to slide tackle him with Rojo at the edge of the box when he was going one on one with the keeper in the 93. min.

On what level is this game not cheating? Beginner, amateur? After a few games its clearly annoying that your dmfs and cbs are just glued to their positions and watching the opp attack. They arent even try to go behind the ball receiver, not to mention intercept the pass to him. Not even when you set man marking.

Also fun to watch when 2-3 84+ rated defenders running behind attached to the back of a 73 rated striker. No tackle no foul. Nothing. No idea who states there is no scripting here.

As for the fouls.
Just had a 12 minute game in ML against Huddersfield (5 fouls w 1 yellow). Me 3 (fouls). No idea who states there are no fouls here.

I never jump on the scripting mentality, however, this is the first time I have really experienced it as consistently as PES 18, post patch, has. I mean the response is instant.

Happening on Top Player and Super Star. Professional seems much more balanced, however a tad too easy for me - no resistance through the midfield.

Lastly, the CPU defenders are constantly backing off when a forward gets the ball. All levels of play.

I think it's at the point where you are left to choose what you want to get out of this game and just accept that the issues are there, and try to manufacture a proper football game.

Also, regarding physicality to fouls, well the amount of time there is warping in this game does not help matters:

mLiDqr.png

V50eJm.png

Turned him inside out... This guy is still a lot of fun to use;

If anyone doubts the individuality in this game then try using Internacional... He is so different on the ball to the rest of the team.

Does he still have his signature move? Also why haven't you edited his name and appearance?

Honestly enjoying the new patch. However after playing a lot of FIFA, one thing really bothers me is that after you are tackled, the player freezes for a couple of seconds. I don't know if it's due to the lack of animation or not. But overall, a pretty good patch. Also I noticed that when there is a ball close to a CPU FB and my winger is chasing it, the CPU FB retreats instead of either closing down or intercepting the ball. That is really strange.

Trigger pulled. Will try and get the game downloaded soon, now that I've purchased it. I've found a list of real team names but wondering if there's a site that can help with kit design for the unlicensed teams. I'm on the Xbox One so just colours and shirt/short designs for home and away strips I guess.

Back
Top Bottom