PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Still getting barged off the ball a lot without the ref calling it a foul.

In my latest match finally the cpu fouled me twice. Both time my striker had broken through the defense on his way to the goal, and both times the ref only gave a warning.
Both were yellow card situations at the minimum, perhaps even red

Happy with the fouls being called but unrealistic when no cards are given.

Professional and Zero Pass Assist has always felt the most balanced to me, and always my default choice.

I want to feel realism and a challenge, and those settings have always given me that.

I’m not one to ever moan about the ‘Scripting’, that’s bollocks to me. How many times in real life do we hear the phrase “It was in the script” ?!

When a striker scores on his debut against his old club etc etc ...

And another thing, you only ever people moan about “Scripting” when they lose, never when they win.

Of course the higher difficulty levels are there to make it much harder to win, it’s the nature of the beast. But football is 90 minutes, or the video game equivalent, of a game where you make every decision, button press. You could have always played that game different, but don’t bitch, whinge, moan when you get beat by this so called pre-determined scripting.

Do you think the AC Milan players came off that CL Final with Liverpool and bitched about unfair scripting in that game ? Of course not. Put the same scenario on a PES game where you were Milan and you’ll hear the words ‘scripted’ bullshit forever in a day.

Just about to try the new patch btw....updates to follow.

The problem for me this year has not been scripting, but rather the unfair advantage that the AI can have. I could practice the thumb version of yoga for 10 years and still not have the skill to place the perfect pass, angle and weight, every time. Thing is, the AI can.

It usually doesn't, I imagine it has some built in error system, making it misplace passes and slow down to be near human level. But the games when it turns its bullshit on, and I have frequently complained about this here, is when we get the outrageous 3 back heels in a row, because the AI is simply playing the 100% accurate pass as fast as it can, it couldn't do that facing the wrong way. I played 2 games back to back against a lower rated team (cup and league) and won the first, lost the other. Both matches were terrible, because it played this style. I have even played against a team using in this bullshit-mode and absolutely slaughtered it, probably because the AI just hit the stat roof and couldn't get even get a goal with its shit-tactics.

That rant aside, I haven't encountered this post-patch after 5-6 games, so who knows. Probably depends on difficulty as well, I play on Top player, 0 assist passing.

I think the fouls are definitely there to be called, which is why the base has improved after the patch. It's obvious how much tighter the game is, just look at the radar. The area where they need to focus on is the 1. Aggression, 2. Lowering Ball winning effectiveness and 3. Balance rating: animation.

If they get the overall aggression sorted then there will be a proper form of resistance throughout. I would even be happy this only apply to defensive line, because what carried over is the consistent backing off by the defensive line when the forward collects the ball.

From there, now the tackles have to be less exact. The CPU won't dive into a tackle because their ball winning rating + animation is meant to make contact with the ball. In its current state, the percentage of ball to foot contact is at like 90%, even for a player that has a 40 ball winning rating.

Balance of players currently is way too high. Even at 40 rating. Let's face it, a player gets fouled, they fall down, that's a big trigger for PES referee recognition. The thing is players have incredible balance in PES, they fall down on very hard tackles, but they need to do the same during proper resistance. All players feel too nimble, and can wriggle out very easily (skiing animation where players bob from side to side and up and down), which lessens the chance for physicality.

Combining aggression + lowering ball winning + balance rating: animation should be the direction for more resistance and fouls. There is a lot of proof this is possible from video, it's now about the consistency, and without mass global edits, I think it requires a patch update.

Game looks and plays like a PS2 version on my PS4. Unbelievable!

To improve performance in gameplay, they downgraded the graphics and increased speed. Very noticeable difference. Not to mention the ridiculous sound of the ball is back. This game is ridiculously chaotic online now.

Game pre-patch looked and played great. The heaviness of players and ball were spot on. What the hell did they do.

I respect everybodys opinions...but am i the only one thats happy with the patch?

Ok..the fouls....they are not much increased, but some games it feels on spot. Definitly in right direction, but could be more. This wasnt a game breaker for me before the patch either.

I always play manual passing and 15 min games, so my review is based on that.

Im impressed with a lot in the new patch:

- change cursor problem solved

- better reactions from players on loose balls and passes into empty spaces. On manual passing this makes it easier to pass which make it feel a bit assisted. But i prefer this instead of they just stand and look at the ball bouncing on the side of them.

-goalkeepers are better. They even get out a bit when u 1 on 1, not just stand on the line. They grab more balls instead of boxing it away.

-more variation from ai when they attack

-ai defense are more aggressive which makes it harder to keep the ball...they being more aggressive also gives u spaces that u can use, that brings more variation to situations and ur own attacks.

-ball feels more loose( u see it a lot on corners and areas with a lot of players when it can bounce on covering players when shooting and stuff)

-feels more responsive(shooting, passing, dribbling)

Maybe forgot something.

Well this is just my opinion after about 30 games post patch and its definitly not placebo. I liked the game before the patch, but i felt it was a bit unfinished. Now it feel finished.

I cant understand that some think there is no gameplay change. I respect the opinion but i believe either u play assisted and that makes a different story(i dont know), or u gave up on pes 2018 quite quickly so u havent played a lot of games pre patch and post patch. I played hundreds of games pre patch and for me its a big change. MAYBE we just feel different about the game.

And some see changes but in wrong direction....different opinions.

I respect everybodys opinions...but am i the only one thats happy with the patch?

Ok..the fouls....they are not much increased, but some games it feels on spot. Definitly in right direction, but could be more. This wasnt a game breaker for me before the patch either.

- better reactions from players on loose balls and passes into empty spaces. On manual passing this makes it easier to pass which make it feel a bit assisted. But i prefer this instead of they just stand and look at the ball bouncing on the side of them.

-goalkeepers are better. They even get out a bit when u 1 on 1, not just stand on the line. They grab more balls instead of boxing it away.

-ai defense are more aggressive which makes it harder to keep the ball...they being more aggressive also gives u spaces that u can use, that brings more variation to situations and ur own attacks.

-ball feels more loose( u see it a lot on corners and areas with a lot of players when it can bounce on covering players when shooting and stuff)

Maybe forgot something.

Well this is just my opinion after about 30 games post patch and its definitly not placebo. I liked the game before the patch, but i felt it was a bit unfinished. Now it feel finished.

I cant understand that some think there is no gameplay change. I respect the opinion but i believe either u play assisted and that makes a different story(i dont know), or u gave up on pes 2018 quite quickly so u havent played a lot of games pre patch and post patch. I played hundreds of games pre patch and for me its a big change. MAYBE we just feel different about the game.

I think the problem is that since they started talking about the patch, we were all expecting a more solid approach to the fouls issue because it was maybe the bigger one, and they even said they were gonna do something, so that is where all the hype went. But outside of this, my impression is that more or less the majority of the users recognized the game feels much more tighter and responsive.

I think the problem is that since they started talking about the patch, we were all expecting a more solid approach to the fouls issue because it was maybe the bigger one, and they even said they were gonna do something, so that is where all the hype went. But outside of this, my impression is that more or less the majority of the users recognized the game feels much more tighter and responsive.

Yes. I feel that too and i think it is (and was even before the patch) a good game. I still hope for more patches with more improvements but i think they are pretty much done with this years game. They will deliver more Datapacks but i don't think they will see the need for more gameplay patches. It's a very solid game now.

I did want to start releasing tactics bu m VISA is taking priority and lots of stress sadly in my life.

I tried the new patch and i really like the changes, i will have to change the pressing again as the game has changed a lot, teams pressure properly like they did last year now with the changes.

Not played ML and i know my experience will differ there. But ive always enjoyed doing world cups etc on pes and since the patch i cant fault the game really.

I had a pen and allsorts of foul counts... its there for all to see if you play the game. This is on professional fully manual.

Watched Roma v Lazio earlier,and the urge for some Serie A is back.
Updating right now.
My opinion will vary since it's been over a month since I played it.
But it seems some of you are happy with the patch,so good news

OK.. so I started a new ML. For me there has been around 2 free kicks in dangerous areas EVERY game for me. Still no penalties though.

One thing I did notice is that Salah and Mane are slow.... Yeah that' right.. the speed state still means nothing. I have had such annoyance at watching really slow defenders overtake them off the ball it' unreal.

I have seen some superb saves, volleys look a little nicer.

Switching is still somewhat shocking.

The AI seem more aggressive pressing me loads but their tackling is FAR too good where as I had Tammy Abraham run through Lovren Matip Can AND TAA. Matip and Can both knocking him off the ball. It' like he was Robocop.

Only had one half in after patch,yes got a grumpy gf at home...
But I noticed how responsive it felt compared to before

And it's not a free range farm in opponents half either,tough getting space around the box and CPU closing down the flanks.

Pace is higher, had to drop down to -1
Promising!

TP manual passing,and I picked up where I left of in my ML.
Hopefully I'll get some more in tmw

Maybe forgot something.

Agreed. Definite improvements in responsiveness, passing, cpu variety. Game feels more refined.

Hoping because it's not as it's a fresh change and when 50 plus games are played the same/new problems are there

I think the fouls are definitely there to be called, which is why the base has improved after the patch. It's obvious how much tighter the game is, just look at the radar. The area where they need to focus on is the 1. Aggression, 2. Lowering Ball winning effectiveness and 3. Balance rating: animation.

If they get the overall aggression sorted then there will be a proper form of resistance throughout. I would even be happy this only apply to defensive line, because what carried over is the consistent backing off by the defensive line when the forward collects the ball.

From there, now the tackles have to be less exact. The CPU won't dive into a tackle because their ball winning rating + animation is meant to make contact with the ball. In its current state, the percentage of ball to foot contact is at like 90%, even for a player that has a 40 ball winning rating.

Balance of players currently is way too high. Even at 40 rating. Let's face it, a player gets fouled, they fall down, that's a big trigger for PES referee recognition. The thing is players have incredible balance in PES, they fall down on very hard tackles, but they need to do the same during proper resistance. All players feel too nimble, and can wriggle out very easily (skiing animation where players bob from side to side and up and down), which lessens the chance for physicality.

Combining aggression + lowering ball winning + balance rating: animation should be the direction for more resistance and fouls. There is a lot of proof this is possible from video, it's now about the consistency, and without mass global edits, I think it requires a patch update.
Need to tinkering those values using global editor and collect the result. Then feedback to adam/asim. Maybe they started listening to us now as the patch is quite good. But the instant retreat really annoys me and almost a game breaking for me

Need to tinkering those values using global editor and collect the result. Then feedback to adam/asim. Maybe they started listening to us now as the patch is quite good. But the instant retreat really annoys me and almost a game breaking for me

Yup, read my mind. I'll start looking at it now.

Hey guys i barley post here, but i am reading your posts almost everyday and i am playing PES (ISS) since the SNES days.

My opinion after patch:

- There are definitely more fouls, still had some matches with 0, but overall they increased ´em. I even had 4 or 5 promising free kick positions since then (however no goal :D )
- Games feels tighter, player are less sluggish now
- Passing got better/easier and a bit too fast in my opinion, but simultaneously the defenders react better to split passes
- The Cpu spam less through balls, but it still exsists
- Cursor switching doubtlessly improved

All in all the game would feel really great now IF:

the A.I cheating in the ML wouldn´t be so obvious, which destroyed my immersion tonight.
I know all the tricks: supercancel all the way, holding back, waiting for the moment to press, cutting pass lines...
nevertheless i know when the goal from the CPU is coming and still have no chance to stop it.
The problem is not, that i cannot stand to concede - the problem is that it feels still very forced an cheap.
The scripting makes me mad.

Actually i dont feel the CPU scores this kind of goals in friendlys or versus - the game feels absoulutley sublime here,
but I do not want to play friendlys all the time.

I play my pre patch ML Savegame on 12 min and Superstar, PA 1. I play on PS4.

Should i drop on Top Player? Manual? I assume, that the CPU on Top Player wont be challenging?
Is the scripting in League Mode, also that blatant? Maybe i should give that a try.

Thanks in advance and Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom