PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

I am enjoying playing Become a Legend so much especially after the last patch update. The AI is amazing when it comes to spotting runs and plays.

I'm very happy with the game now. .. enjoying it more than Pes 2017 which I loved as well... I can live with the faults and will happily play this for the rest of the year . . . .gameplay can be sublime at times .

Indeed. Started a Master League with my Rossoneri. Lowered the speed to -1. Sublime right now.

Does he still have his signature move? Also why haven't you edited his name and appearance?
Not sure, don't know how you'd perform it but you could probably do something similar with R2.

The lack of editing is because I haven't sorted that stuff out since the DLC, maybe I'll get around to it today.

Sure. Adam said they believe that the game should have the developers vision for it:
https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/881504631137984512

I remember this answer. Which is really a shame to me and doesn't make much sense. I know that many disagree, but I think sliders would give so much to Pes.. Nba2K has slides and I don't think it's something that lessens developers vision in any way..

What sliders give with one hand, they take away with the other.

I helped make some of the popular sliders on MLB The Show a couple of years ago and sometimes you change things for the sake of it, even by +1 or -1 and believe something really changes, but reality is its so minor you cant see it with the naked eye.

I like the fact you can customise your experience that way, but at the same time you will always chase a rainbow and it can suck the fun from it all.

Finally sliders can also be a way for developers to be a bit lazy. If a game dosent play as well out of the box, the sliders can be used to compensate for things and you can be just polishing a turd.

I'm not a fan of sliders to be honest for pretty much the same reasons as mehuk mentioned.

You always end up questioning whether what just happened should be happening, what slider can I change to prevent it, what should be happening that isn't etc... Rather than just enjoying the game for what it is.

The way I see it sliders will always prevent a game from being perfect, or at least close to that. Despite some may believe, sliders have their own code as well, so developers have to code how the game plays, and also how the sliders will change that. In my opinion, it only makes the thing harder to get right, because there are lots of variables that depend of each other. When you think you´re changing the agression slider, you´re also changing the positioning or the speed of the game for example... then you try to correct it by changing the speed slider, but that also changes the mentality, and so on and so on... not exactly like this, but you get the point.

I rather have a dev team that focuses on a specific code, for good or for worse, than a team that delivers a confusing code with the possibility of being altered with sliders.

If you play on Zero Assist you will notice it more, even more so in previous versions where you could mis-place a stupidly easy angled 5 yard pass.

Try passing with X, then try holding R2 and X, the pace of the pass is slower and more accurate, almost like an assisted pass but without the pace.

Also, I always hold R2 and X to flick the ball on if the pass is played in the air, you get a cushioned more accurate passes, and also acrobatic style flicks, touches. I’ve posted a lot of videos of this including the Scorpion Side Pass which was achieved using the R2 and X first touch finesse pass. You will see animations you would never usually see using this method.

Watch the video and see how the player is already adjusting his position to pull off this pass, animation. It’s already in motion before it reaches him, because I activated it, otherwise he’d be ready to trap and control it.

Here is another.....

Yeah i remember the R2 pass trick u showed from a few years ago. Probably still use it subconsciously

People you know me know my favourite button on PES has always been R2, it does so much when it comes to controlled technique variations, many of which are never disclosed in the controls section.

The R2 Controlled Pass with X is the perfect example, but just wondered if people were aware of the R2 standing controlled tackle ? Pressing R2 in close range to tackle is great for ‘nicking the ball’ with composed finesse and results in very few, if any fouls, as opposed to double tap of X and that stabbed foot in challenge that can get blown for.

Try it....

Here is one I’ve just pulled off...

The way I see it, R2 in defense does the same thing as R2 when holding the ball...it makes the player strafe sideways. It's a strafing button.

For me, it's all about managing/using the correct animations for the correct context. Here's how I use R2 in defense:

R2, in ancient PES versions, used to be called "half-cancel"? Super cancel (R1+R2) is like "full cancel". I used to understand it as, R2 gives you circular freedom around the ball, while still moving your player in relationship to the ball as center point. Whereas super cancel, eliminates all rails and your player moves completely free of all relationship to the ball's location.

Last edited:
Wow that was brilliant . .I'm usually fucked when they're breathing down my neck like that.

Try super cancel to receive the ball as you imagine you would. Without it, u really are limited to how the game decides where your first touch should be (I mean, you can put down the controller and the game would complete the first touch by itself. It's locked on a rail). That's the first thing u need to use, often. Then when you get comfortable with that, you can start incorporating subsequent touches (stride size control).

If you let the first touch play out in the game engine's locked trajectory, there's a good chance you'll just collide with a defender, coz the rails are programmed to meet (usually).

You may miss the ball completely under super cancel (it's totally free movement, it disregards the ball, you have to find the ball yourself), but it's better to have control over what you do, eventually you'll get comfortable with it.

Also, the catch-up boost of defenders are toned down after the patch, you should try to roll defenders and break away from them on the sly. Everybody still playing the game like they can rush out to defend and miss the ball and get a second chance with catch-up, but sometimes they get caught out. Catch-up is still there somewhat (midfield area it's kinda hard to do this, I always get caught by the guy I initially beat), but I can do it to fullbacks and CBs.

I remember this answer. Which is really a shame to me and doesn't make much sense. I know that many disagree, but I think sliders would give so much to Pes.. Nba2K has slides and I don't think it's something that lessens developers vision in any way..
in the same time what about manual and advanced shootings? and gamespeed sliders? and passing assitance?

Try super cancel to receive the ball as you imagine you would. Without it, u really are limited to how the game decides where your first touch should be (I mean, you can put down the controller and the game would complete the first touch by itself. It's locked on a rail). That's the first thing u need to use, often. Then when you get comfortable with that, you can start incorporating subsequent touches (stride size control).

If you let the first touch play out in the game engine's locked trajectory, there's a good chance you'll just collide with a defender, coz the rails are programmed to meet (usually).

You may miss the ball completely under super cancel (it's totally free movement, it disregards the ball, you have to find the ball yourself), but it's better to have control over what you do, eventually you'll get comfortable with it.

Also, the catch-up boost of defenders are toned down after the patch, you should try to roll defenders and break away from them on the sly. Everybody still playing the game like they can rush out to defend and miss the ball and get a second chance with catch-up, but sometimes they get caught out. Catch-up is still there somewhat (midfield area it's kinda hard to do this, I always get caught by the guy I initially beat), but I can do it to fullbacks and CBs.

Thanks for the advice Vxcmplx.

Sure. Adam said they believe that the game should have the developers vision for it:
https://twitter.com/Adam_Bhatti/status/881504631137984512
Well it's not up-to him then is it. Every other sports game has it. Leave it locked for offline experience and it should be fine. Like what difference does it make to them? They've already given us edit mode for decades and that affects gameplay too. No need to beat around the bush.

Well it's not up-to him then is it. Every other sports game has it. Leave it locked for offline experience and it should be fine. Like what difference does it make to them? They've already given us edit mode for decades and that affects gameplay too. No need to beat around the bush.

WOAH!!! Where the hell have you been?.

Anyways... I'm all for Sliders. I want them so bad.
But I agree, sometimes people change +1 or -1 just to change something.
I never change anything (in FIFA) unless it's going to be +5 or -5.

I'm not sure I understand your question.. even Fifa has different settings for passing, shooting and speed, but it doesn't stop sliders from existing..
My point is exactly that these are gamechanging sliders already in someway.

Other hand guys how to defend these OP trough balls by the comp even on beginner? Atrocious that 1 striker from a counter attacking lower division team is always alone in open space and can score the same goal 4 times in 10 GAME mins.

Today it finally happened gents....

I got a damn penalty. I had a lol when the game took the time to show me how to take a penalty.

I've just got 6 fouls from the AI. They even got a red card (2 yellow cards) AND a yellow card for another player.
Of course, this was a Derby game but still... I was in shock!

Back
Top Bottom