PES 2018 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Today it finally happened gents....

I got a damn penalty. I had a lol when the game took the time to show me how to take a penalty.
First time I got a penalty online I was holding RB to display the aiming circle... Pretty sure the opponent must be able to see it as well because they immediately moved there and caught it as soon as I pressed shoot... Now I just aim near the middle and use full power :P.

Sorry, as the sliders guy, I can hardly agree that they should not be in PES. I'd rather have a way to alter the game versus wait for 3-4 months for a fix. PES literally collected dust until this patch update.

Some can live with the lack of proper gameplay, and some can't, I fall under the area of some can't. The base just wasn't there, and now the patch update has made it about 5% closer to being better - but it's definitely not where it should be.

I say it every time, but FIFA has received my money because of sliders. If I had to play default FIFA, there would be no chance I would ever play, especially because of all the title updates it comes out with.

Lastly, and I only feel like it's the PES community that needs to hear this, but sliders are OPTIONAL. Like if you choose to play Top Player or Superstar, that is an OPTION for you. To say you'd prefer that the game not have them doesn't make sense, especially if it doesn't affect you considering it's an option - not mandatory.

For me personally, I don’t want sliders, leave it the way it is that way u have a choice of fifa or pes, both games cater for different audiences. This year people are happy with fifa, why have it on pes if your already happy with the other game

For me personally, I don’t want sliders, leave it the way it is that way u have a choice of fifa or pes, both games cater for different audiences. This year people are happy with fifa, why have it on pes if your already happy with the other game

I don't understand this logic. If it's optional, how does it affect you? Look at literally every sports video game currently out, sliders. It's not just a FIFA thing, it's EA and 2k sports as well.

I don't understand this logic. If it's optional, how does it affect you? Look at literally every sports video game currently out, sliders. It's not just a FIFA thing, it's EA and 2k sports as well.
I understand where you coming from Matt, but having sliders similar to fifa, won’t that effect team playing styles, cos the sliders will make em all play a similar way

I understand where you coming from Matt, but having sliders similar to fifa, won’t that effect team playing styles, cos the sliders will make em all play a similar way

No, they shouldn't. Also, I will plead with PES to not follow EA's form of sliders - especially FIFA's. Arbitrary 1 pt integers is a headache. I would much rather they follow 2k Sports method of digging into the fundamentals, not generic base layer sliders that can affect so much more than what it says.

In all honesty, PES have an opportunity to take sliders to a more simplistic and straight forward level. It wouldn't be hard to look through the market data on feedback, and determine a slider level.

To sum up, I definitely do not want them to use FIFA's slider structure. :)

Hey guys, only got to play the post-patch pes2018 (ps4) yesterday and after about 10 games its definitely as good, if not better than I expected it to be. Some of the negative comments ive seen here make no sense to me, but everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and perceptions. My summarised thoughts (nothing got worse for me, only better in some key areas, and obviously some areas still require improvement - but its a step in right direction, so hoping pes2018 builds on this.. ie. no 1 step forward n 2 steps back for once):

1. Players switching most definitely improved making defense and interceptions easier and more prevalent

2.Fouls increased despite a minority saying it hasnt. Still get a game or two with no fouls, but this is much rarer now. This could be increased in number, but i got 7 in a game (full manual 15min topplayer), simply because i dribbled more and used quite a bit of the cancel shot/fake shot command - draws many more fouls now due to overcommited cpu defending. Also i think its obvious that some games have a stricter ref (randomly chosen by cpu) and derby matchups producing more aggression/fouls.

3.Noticed more bad touches.. very noticable to me.

4.Cpu ai smarter, with more variety in attack... particularly when attacking centrally with more direction. But i think player switching improvement has increased our ability to defend and intercept, balancing things out quite a bit. I think this has something to do with more mid field duels as well.

5. Player positioning has improved somewhat.. could be improved, but even without marking features on, my own defenders are closer to their opponents, also adding to better midfield battles.

6.As mentioned above, im definitely seeing more tightness/congestion in the midfield (increasing midfield battles and difficulty penetrating it) probably due to improved player positioning. But i think this may also be attributed to an interesting observation another member mentioned, ie. cpu keepers now kick the ball longer, ie. well over half way. Pre patch it was usually or always short, meaning you'd already be in the cpu's third after a single header.

7. Finally.. this hasnt been mentioned (so please try it), i noticed that manual shooting with r2 finesse shot has most definitely improved from pre patch. It could be better still, but now your kick doesn't go so much wider than the intended manual direction. Tested this extensively in training mode. Its definitely more accurate in terms of the aiming arrow. Previously, pre patch, and in pes2017, the ball would go well wide of your intended direction (of L2 aiming arrow). Not sure why this was the case, but it was broken. Still not as functional as when in 'auto shoot' where the ball has a really cool curve to it, being able to accurately curl the ball into the top corner.

Pretty satisfied so far. And i really love the 'cloudy with rain' palette for the emirates stadium.. quite different to the other stadiums.

Even if this turns out to be the only patch to be released until pes 2019, im happy. In my opinion the most realistic and most controllable football game to date. The mechanics are just spot on.

cheers

Thanks for that review Aussiepesfan. Must say i don't notice such a big difference as you do, but to be fair i only played 4 or 5 matches.

I don't really notice more fouls (i remember my first post patch game having one foul, other games had something like 4 or 5 fouls, that is not enough for me, but i prefer this to a game that is constantly halted because of fouls).

The refs are also a problem to me. IMO they still are biased towards the cpu game. Refs making mistakes is good, but not this way...

My own team's defenders still make unlogical or even daft movements/runs (running blindly forwards when the opposition team has the ball, wich often ends in a goal).

Something that is becoming annoying for me (but perhaps i do something wrong, someone should make a good manual for this game) is the choice my players make when attempting to go on goal on mid-low balls. Players can either head the ball or kick it. They often make the wrong decision. It happens that a player has to bend quite low to head the ball (the logical being to kick the ball) and he makes that choice. The opposite also happens quite frequently, that a player can easily head a ball, yet tries an almost impossible shot. IRL this happens sometimes, but not as frequent as in PES2018. Is it a major issue? Not really, but somehow it annoys me...perhaps i'm timing wrong and then this is entirely my mistake and not the game. Could be an unfair comment.

Something i noticed in this thread (and this is not a dig at some people) that is that when i see jimmy's video's i realize that he is very, very good at the game, yet he barely complains...could it be that some people (and i certainly include myself) are complaining because they don't know how to play the game in all it's aspects (and this also reflects badly on Konami, then they should make a deeper tutorial and training mode and put an excellent manual online, unless i missed something)? I know some people will consider this as the ultimate fanboy argument, but this is simply a question...something i wonder about quite often lately.

7. Finally.. this hasnt been mentioned (so please try it), i noticed that manual shooting with r2 finesse shot has most definitely improved from pre patch. It could be better still, but now your kick doesn't go so much wider than the intended manual direction. Tested this extensively in training mode. Its definitely more accurate in terms of the aiming arrow. Previously, pre patch, and in pes2017, the ball would go well wide of your intended direction (of L2 aiming arrow). Not sure why this was the case, but it was broken. Still not as functional as when in 'auto shoot' where the ball has a really cool curve to it, being able to accurately curl the ball into the top corner.

Yeah, this was my feeling as well. :TU:

A question for you guys. I think I have found a bug, or if you can tell me I'm doing something wrong.

I can no longer get formations I save to show up online. I go to a Exhibition match and there I make my own tactics/formations. I then save them, I even go out of the screen for Exhibition matches and then go in again just to see that they have been saved, which they have. But then as I try to load them up when I play Online Divisions they're gone. I don't change Personal settings or anything. Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks for that review Aussiepesfan. Must say i don't notice such a big difference as you do, but to be fair i only played 4 or 5 matches.

I don't really notice more fouls (i remember my first post patch game having one foul, other games had something like 4 or 5 fouls, that is not enough for me, but i prefer this to a game that is constantly halted because of fouls).

The refs are also a problem to me. IMO they still are biased towards the cpu game. Refs making mistakes is good, but not this way...

My own team's defenders still make unlogical or even daft movements/runs (running blindly forwards when the opposition team has the ball, wich often ends in a goal).

Something that is becoming annoying for me (but perhaps i do something wrong, someone should make a good manual for this game) is the choice my players make when attempting to go on goal on mid-low balls. Players can either head the ball or kick it. They often make the wrong decision. It happens that a player has to bend quite low to head the ball (the logical being to kick the ball) and he makes that choice. The opposite also happens quite frequently, that a player can easily head a ball, yet tries an almost impossible shot. IRL this happens sometimes, but not as frequent as in PES2018. Is it a major issue? Not really, but somehow it annoys me...perhaps i'm timing wrong and then this is entirely my mistake and not the game. Could be an unfair comment.

Something i noticed in this thread (and this is not a dig at some people) that is that when i see jimmy's video's i realize that he is very, very good at the game, yet he barely complains...could it be that some people (and i certainly include myself) are complaining because they don't know how to play the game in all it's aspects (and this also reflects badly on Konami, then they should make a deeper tutorial and training mode and put an excellent manual online, unless i missed something)? I know some people will consider this as the ultimate fanboy argument, but this is simply a question...something i wonder about quite often lately.

Gerd, the training mode is there for everybody to brush up on their skills ..I'm forever threatening to go in and learn everything and sometimes I feel I've mastered a skill yet in the heat of the moment in a match it goes out the window and panic sets in because you only have a split second to react. . .I think composure is key when playing. . some people seem to have a cool head and can pick the right trick or feint to perform .. I can't . .which is why I took some heavy beatings on the online beta ha ha . .that diving header instead of a shot thing has been in Pes for a while . .it's comical sometimes when you're lining up a 30 yard piledriver and your player tries a diving header and the ball trickles 3 yards . ..the annoying thing for me is when my own player runs in the way of my shot or pass and ruins a good move.

Training mode is not good enough for me Deco. I can see your point, but i have a very busy professional life with lots of evening work and two teenagers who want to have the PS4 and Xbox One for their own (i exagerate) so my time with PES is very limited. I need tutorials or a manual. I haven't got the time to go to training mode.

But of course in theory i totally agree with you...only my life style doesn't suite itself to that most sensible approach. Thanks, for the advice, you are a nice chap!

WOAH!!! Where the hell have you been?

Hey man. Been busy with work and kids. I still game of course but it's not PES. Been playing Mario Odyssey and other games. In fact I haven't touched PES since September I think, so I didn't really have an opinion on it. Thought I'd check back and reading up on this new patch. I'll try it and see if anything changed. I hope I notice.

I hadn't played pes in a while, but have been playing a lot post patch.
Seems that my honeymoon period is over, as i continue to see the same annoying thing :

I score a goal, and immediately the cpu also scores, or gets a few very big chances.
The whole balance of the game is starting to shift, lots of wrong passes, cpu starts to dominate the game.
And they score a lot just out of the blue.
I will say it : feels very scripted to me.

I do not mind losing at all, and i'm not very good at this game i guess, but i don't like the way this goes.
I'm dominating one moment and then suddenly everything goes wrong.
Of course this can happen in real life as well, but i also see it when it's me with a top team playing against a very small team and i don't like it at all.

I do see more fouls after the patch, it see it, but they are mostly the same : cpu tackles or touches my player from behind. When they barge me off the ball at the front I hardly get any fouls called and this is usually around the cpu's penalty box with them denying me a shot or possible goal, that's when i need that foul call the most.

I'm having lots of problems getting a shot off, the penalty box is always so crowded. There's always a defender blocking me. Any tips for that?

Still think it's a good game, but right now the frustation wins it from the joy.

If there was a choice of say, PES 19 being the same as PES 18 but with sliders... or PES 19 coming with improved core gameplay and fixing some of the niggly issues in PES 18, what would you choose?

Im not saying they cant do both or will do either, just wondered if sliders was more important to some than the actual base game being improved on.

Id also be confident in saying that if Konami wanted to implement sliders, then other features would take a backseat. I dont think they have the capacity to develop that in addition to whatever else they work on for a yearly release.

It would also affect whatever team individualism there is. For example, assume there is a long ball slider... you want it turned down because the AI dinks the ball over the top to the wing too much. OK thats fine, resolves that... but then all of a sudden, the team setup to play long ball (for example Wimbledon) dont chuck it long to Big Bash Fash anymore, instead its more turtling through the middle with Vinny Jones caressing the ball around.

Sliders are great as an option and a last resort for those who like to tinker. But the fact is, the more time spent on developing the core gameplay out of the box, the better.

Sliders even being present diminishes the fun of the game for me tbh. Yeah, its optional, but when there is the choice to tinker with sliders I usually do, and end up never satisfied with them.

I'd rather just play the game for what it is, for better or worse, and just play something else if I'm not enjoying it instead of trying to brute force it into being "realistic" with sliders.

I also like that the game mechanics are the same offline and online, and that whenever I see a video of a goal knowing that I can do it myself; they've not just scored because of a certain slider combo.

You can also end up compensating for a lack of skill with the game mechanics by producing sliders that just give the scorelines you want. For example, you could be getting destroyed by the chip through ball... So you diminish its frequency with sliders... But wait, the reason you were getting killed with it could have been mindlessly pressuring and leaving the spaces. Now the CPU doesn't exploit clear open space and punish your bad defending as it should etc.

I hadn't played pes in a while, but have been playing a lot post patch.
Seems that my honeymoon period is over, as i continue to see the same annoying thing :

I score a goal, and immediately the cpu also scores, or gets a few very big chances.
The whole balance of the game is starting to shift, lots of wrong passes, cpu starts to dominate the game.
And they score a lot just out of the blue.
I will say it : feels very scripted to me.

I do not mind losing at all, and i'm not very good at this game i guess, but i don't like the way this goes.
I'm dominating one moment and then suddenly everything goes wrong.
Of course this can happen in real life as well, but i also see it when it's me with a top team playing against a very small team and i don't like it at all.

I do see more fouls after the patch, it see it, but they are mostly the same : cpu tackles or touches my player from behind. When they barge me off the ball at the front I hardly get any fouls called and this is usually around the cpu's penalty box with them denying me a shot or possible goal, that's when i need that foul call the most.

I'm having lots of problems getting a shot off, the penalty box is always so crowded. There's always a defender blocking me. Any tips for that?

Still think it's a good game, but right now the frustation wins it from the joy.

Did you not watch Sevilla v Liverpool last night? Scripted rubbish . .The Pool 3-0 up at halftime and cruising . . second half they were misplacing passes and defenders were falling asleep .. and to top it all off Sevilla came back and scored 3 goals for a draw. . .outrageous. .wouldn't happen in Pes.

Did you not watch Sevilla v Liverpool last night? Scripted rubbish . .The Pool 3-0 up at halftime and cruising . . second half they were misplacing passes and defenders were falling asleep .. and to top it all off Sevilla came back and scored 3 goals for a draw. . .outrageous. .wouldn't happen in Pes.

Like i said, it happens in real life too.
In Pes it happens every match i play, every team i play.

I really do not mind having draws or losing games, winning all the games would be boring.
But at this moment i don't see any games that i dominate and keep dominating, or ending in a 3-0 win.
I keep seeing that magic shift.
I suck at this game so that could be part of it too, but i can't help noticing the cpu doing this.

Like i said, it happens in real life too.
In Pes it happens every match i play, every team i play.

I really do not mind having draws or losing games, winning all the games would be boring.
But at this moment i don't see any games that i dominate and keep dominating, or ending in a 3-0 win.
I keep seeing that magic shift.
I suck at this game so that could be part of it too, but i can't help noticing the cpu doing this.

Why don't you play a level that you're comfortable with? Then move up the ranks . . .I'm in the notorious first season of ML and the A.i will make sure that I end on the bottom. . .I'm getting slaughtered even though I'm playing well so I know what you're talking about. .. and you're right I would hate to win all the time and win every cup and League and would become bored very quickly.

I would hate to win all the time and win every cup and League and would become bored very quickly.
So would I - which is why I start as a rubbish team and not Man United! If the game is going to do that (sodomise you in your first season against your will), I'd rather you just started the game in season two, so you got a fair game. What's the point otherwise?

(Saying that, I'm playing as Newcastle and drawing most games against average opposition 0-0 - until I get Man United and then those damn lofted through-balls start flying and there's nothing I can do about it.)

So would I - which is why I start as a rubbish team and not Man United! If the game is going to do that (sodomise you in your first season against your will), I'd rather you just started the game in season two, so you got a fair game. What's the point otherwise?

(Saying that, I'm playing as Newcastle and drawing most games against average opposition 0-0 - until I get Man United and then those damn lofted through-balls start flying and there's nothing I can do about it.)

Those beatings we're taking are character building Chris . . .lol.

Why don't you play a level that you're comfortable with? Then move up the ranks . . .I'm in the notorious first season of ML and the A.i will make sure that I end on the bottom. . .I'm getting slaughtered even though I'm playing well so I know what you're talking about. .. and you're right I would hate to win all the time and win every cup and League and would become bored very quickly.

You are probably right, I think i'm on professional now but maybe i should go down 1 level.
Thing is i recall the previous level being too easy.

That's where sliders would come in handy btw. If 1 level is too easy and the next too difficult sliders can help you to make the easy level more difficult or the difficult one easier by giving your team certain advantages.

I really feel that sliders would make pes an even better game.

Is scripting as evident in ML on TP in comparison to that of Superstar?

Is scripting as evident in ML on TP in comparison to that of Superstar?

I found in this years game that the scripting on TP is the same as it was on Superstar last year .. so I'd say Superstar this year could be even harder but I haven't tried it yet . . .you must remember that I play manual which could make it a bit more difficult.

Back
Top Bottom