PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I really love playing with the South American teams because you really need to work out the strengths of different players and they're usually don't have overpowered stats so when you pull off a great shot or pass it feels more rewarding. Not like Pogba or Griezmann on the beta...FFS.
Imagine what Andres De Allesandro is going to be like or Ben Arfa. I hope to hell we don't get another superstar rising from the phantom zone because of the game.

Last year was L Traore with his height, balance and headers.

The year before was some lanky fast Dutch CF who could outrun anyone in the game after a chipped though pass.

Iv
I just want to say that there's definitely scripting involved on the beta .. .it can favour either player and throws up evenly balanced matches as well .. .I played a couple of games and I couldn't believe how bad I was . .. one was against vxcmplx and it was dreadful a laggy 0-0 . .the two of us couldn't do the basics. .. . next 3 games were great, won 1 lost won and drew one .. the match that I won totally favoured me . . every loose ball came to me and I looked faster than my opponent. . then I had a couple of great draws. . .this has happened on two consecutive nights and the drawn matches were that enjoyable that the guys that I was playing against messaged me on PSN to say great game.

I've never noticed scripting. Sounds like neither of you could do the basics because it was laggy and luck would have it that balls fell to you.

If there was scripting, how could they hold tournaments for prize money? It simply wouldn't be fair.

why did konami allow for mirror matching? Why not just automatic switch your team to avoid this crap. I wouldn't care if i picked France and got switched to Brazil.. Really easy idea.

Iv

I've never noticed scripting. Sounds like neither of you could do the basics because it was laggy and luck would have it that balls fell to you.

If there was scripting, how could they hold tournaments for prize money? It simply wouldn't be fair.

I'll put it like this I'ved played matches where every loose ball would fall to the opponent and every pass that they make is perfect where mine would miss my player 2 yards away and every shot of mine would go miles wide. . a couple of games later it would be the opposite . . .I'd get every loose ball and all of my passes are spot on .. ..a few games later it would switch back. .. that's my experience .. . I don't suddenly improve and then play shite again a few games later.

I'll put it like this I'ved played matches where every loose ball would fall to the opponent and every pass that they make is perfect where mine would miss my player 2 yards away and every shot of mine would go miles wide. . a couple of games later it would be the opposite . . .I'd get every loose ball and all of my passes are spot on .. ..a few games later it would switch back. .. that's my experience .. . I don't suddenly improve and then play shite again a few games later.

I just don't buy that the game decided ones player is going to get all the luck and how it actually implements that.

I'm sure in single player there are times when the CPU get a boost but outside of that I can't see it.

To be clear, I'm not calling you a liar, just my own experience. I mean, they can't fix shooting without breaking everything. How could they script a multiplayer game?

I just don't buy that the game decided ones player is going to get all the luck and how it actually implements that.

I'm sure in single player there are times when the CPU get a boost but outside of that I can't see it.

To be clear, I'm not calling you a liar, just my own experience. I mean, they can't fix shooting without breaking everything. How could they script a multiplayer game?

Fair enough . .why would I lie? Sure when I played pes with friends 20 odd years ago . .we'd use the same set ups same tactics, green arrows and you would thrash your mate for 3 games and then he'd thrash you for two then it would reverse . .playing people that you had the measure of and suddenly they are quicker to the ball etc. that's not down to human error or luck. Just my opinion. I think Pes is scripted to give variation in outcomes of matches.

I guess this happens often when the opponent plays with france? They are playing with 4-5-1 formation and just stupidly holding R1+X and sometimes additionally [] in the midfield. The pressing is way to effective as long you are not pressing to often with the defenders on counters. The player with the ball struggles IMO to often in these situations when body contact is applied from the opponent (even when you control Giroud) or the defender just bumps into you player from behind and you are not able to execute the shot/pass or you just lose the ball. I wish you would have more control when using body to shield the ball.
Don't get me wrong: I do win against these R1+X pressure guys but this stupid method should be lead to way more goals on my side (similar to PES6).

I agree to a certain extend but it might be just one of those changes you have to adjust to. I find that using R2 helps when evading an incoming [ ] on full speed or i just go for the save option and pass it back and go for a long ball while his team is out of position.

Before, in 2017, you wouldn't feel so much under pressure in defense or midfield and thus your reaction to these situations would different. That is what i mean by adjusting and relearning the game. Midfield battles might be more frustrating and difficult but perhaps all the better for it because you need more skill to prevent mistakes.

Cant say i experienced this. I do however find it more difficult to turn things around when you opponent is having some momentum. What i also noticed, and COOP mode has learned me this, is that when you avoid risk taking in the back and clear the ball with [ ] it has a better change of finding your forwards instead of always ending up in an opponents feet. Especially online with manual passing, picking out a free midfielder and performing a longer pass takes time, time you do not always have.
In this respect, removing the catch up script is a game-changer. Not only is it apparent in 1v1 situations where forwards can now out-sprint defenders. It is everywhere. Players at top speed can catch you by surprise and run the ball of your feet, more so because the ball is really a separate entity now.

What you describe might just be people getting adjusted. Speaking for myself, i can play shit the first ten minutes and have some amazing linkup play the moment after. Not because of a script but because i am still (re)learning.

Every game is so clearly different, with different levels, settings (manual, advanced) and playing styles. It can definitely be frustrating. Sometimes you just want a rematch when you find someone of your own level/playing style.
But then again, all those different playing styles and outcomes remind me of the good ol days where the field was really a blank canvas with all possibilities still open.

Last edited:

I've seen no evidence of so called scripting in my full manual games..all games appear balanced and fair to me..i think you need to be careful as when things don't go your way it's an easy get out ..i think in ped 2017 there are some dodgy moments where the ball looks like it's going out of play then stops a bit quick but I think it's just poor physics as it happens quite a bit ..notice that's fixed in pes 18

Lami - sorry mate I saw you sent me a message the other day but can't find it. If you want to jump on and try to luck your way to playing against me on Xbox, let me know on Twitter as I have the app on my phone and it's easier to check than here. I'll be home in an hour or so and can fire it up for a bit.

Fair enough . .why would I lie? Sure when I played pes with friends 20 odd years ago . .we'd use the same set ups same tactics, green arrows and you would thrash your mate for 3 games and then he'd thrash you for two then it would reverse . .playing people that you had the measure of and suddenly they are quicker to the ball etc. that's not down to human error or luck. Just my opinion. I think Pes is scripted to give variation in outcomes of matches.

I agree PES games have a history of feeling scripted. If you know how to use the controls you can win from a far better player. The better player would have 85% possession, 10 shots on goal and could still lose 0-1 because this one corner that flew in.

Yet again, it is so hard to say what percentage is down to scripting and what percentage is down to underestimation, lack of concentration, sloppiness, (bad) luck, fatigue, etc. The better players are sometimes trying to make pretty goals whereas others are playing a more simple game of pass and shoot. In my case 80% of the goals start with me making a mistake, taking too much risk or being too careless. I might have dominated the game, i might feel stolen, but in the end, if i am really honest and look at the replay, it all started with my own mistake. And you do not have to be a very good player to exploit a mistake. Come to think of it. Just like in real matches, in any sport really, i make less mistakes against good players because i up my game.

Guys Im having one MAJOR problems with color calibration with this game. Daytime/Nightime both look wayy too bright, a lot crisp just not like in the videos you guys upload. If anyone has any settings or experience how to calibrate 47" Samsung Plasma HDTV let me know. Color is set to only 60% I think but It feels and looks like colors are waaay up in the 90s almost full.
Check your tv brightness and contrast settings. You can also use the setting that came up when you first started the game. If you skipped it then go to settings and fix it. Tv color is usually set to 50. You'd want to stick to game mode to reduce input lag.

As a matter of interest . .. .short passes going astray? Would you normally put in a better performance?
yes, i'm definitely better but i need time to understand this looser game and delay when defending. clearing the ball now takes forever and they can just take the ball of you before you can clear. Passing manual is definitely different and looser and easier to misplace a pass. It's a different game in many areas. plus it's slower and less responsive then 2017

Last edited:
TBO i can't tell if i'm playing assisted or manual players when i played. I still got smashed 4-0 2-0 5-0 or 1-0....:D I never played PES online until now. And it shows......I have to figure out these pricks play styles.

I think you can tell by the colour of the bar when they pass or shoot. If it is yellow then that pass or shot in manual, if it is green then it is using PA or basic/advanced shooting. I think that is right, somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

just played a player using front line pressure, it sucked because i could beat him, but the slow responsiveness allows for easy front line pressure steals and shots on goal. He found a weakness in game and abused it all game long... I did try long balls on counter attack but it didn't hook up in time.
Just give me time.....:THINK:
d3b0b2d70d4325df0a0872f1c361ad62.gif

Last edited:
Enjoying the beta still but some things are starting to grate. No game can accommodate for a humans lack of imagination :D

I don't get how the first thing people do is finding the easiest way to exploit the game rather than play football.

Everyone now tries to dribble like Messi instead of creating openings or trying to outwit your opponent. You run and R2 step over then fake shot.

Inertia needs to affect the ball carrier and defender equally but it seems to be heavily slanted to the advantage of the carrier. I mean if I am running shoulder to shoulder with Thiago Silva against Griezman I should be able to push him into the sideboards rather than just jogging alongside him then inevitably getting outsmarted even if I know what's coming...I feel like I am under equipped to defend the dribbling in terms of the defensive mechanics, awareness etc.

I mean if I am running shoulder to shoulder with Thiago Silva against Griezman I should be able to push him into the sideboards rather than just jogging alongside him then inevitably getting outsmarted even if I know what's coming...I feel like I am under equipped to defend the dribbling in terms of the defensive mechanics, awareness etc.
I've been defending the, er, defending, but I've just seen a video posted in the videos thread that has made me think that you may well be right:

I don't rage-quit, but I think that one might have pushed me too far...

couple of easy wins on manual this mirning, its nice to be able to beat assisted players through good play.

got to say though, the lag and lack of responsiveness isn't great, the first day was flawless but its been pretty pants since then

Enjoying the beta still but some things are starting to grate. No game can accommodate for a humans lack of imagination :D

I don't get how the first thing people do is finding the easiest way to exploit the game rather than play football.

Everyone now tries to dribble like Messi instead of creating openings or trying to outwit your opponent. You run and R2 step over then fake shot.

Inertia needs to affect the ball carrier and defender equally but it seems to be heavily slanted to the advantage of the carrier. I mean if I am running shoulder to shoulder with Thiago Silva against Griezman I should be able to push him into the sideboards rather than just jogging alongside him then inevitably getting outsmarted even if I know what's coming...I feel like I am under equipped to defend the dribbling in terms of the defensive mechanics, awareness etc.

This is why I hate online. Can't wait for the demo so I can just do me and enjoy the game.

The other side of the coin is that attacking is nearly confined to dribbling or crossing. . .not much support from other forwards or midfielders making runs .. . .I usually have two options facing the defence. . dribble past the 3 of them which I'm not capable of doing or pass it wide to a winger to cross. .that's it. . .so normally I try and attempt a dribble and look like a fool and they steal the ball from me. . ..I said earlier that the game seems to be geared towards getting the ball to the superstars to dribble and curl .. . passes rolling past players who slow down for some strange reason is fairly annoying too. . .happens to the guy you're playing as well. . . .so learn your dribbling and feints lads. .. .a guy I played last night was so confident at dribbling that when the ball went back to his keeper he would dribble past my strikers before passing.

Check your tv brightness and contrast settings. You can also use the setting that came up when you first started the game. If you skipped it then go to settings and fix it. Tv color is usually set to 50. You'd want to stick to game mode to reduce input lag.
Doesn't Game Mode take away some of the image sharpness? Makes it more blurry?.
I just bought a LG 4K TV for this game, to hook it up to my PC... so it better be good!

oh and i just tried a 3v3 game, I had by far the highest rating in the team of 1500, one of my teammates had a score of less than 1000. after the game he sends me an abusive message saying i'm shit and selfish and cant play manual :BOP::BYE: despite the fact I made more passes than anyone else on the team.... retard. ED-SUTTON92 you're shit maaaaate

is there an online manual league mode in the full version? Ive never played before or is that something that you would have to set up between players? Im loving the idea of an Evo web manual league if one doesn't already exist, i'm thinking of just one game per week using premier league teams.

i use Samsung UN55ES7100... dynamic... auto motion plus standard. It looks great and runs all my games smooth because it adds up to 6-8 frames per second to fill in for lack of PS4 performance.

Back
Top Bottom