PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

Just played a couple of games on the beta, it says 1-bar passing but feels more assisted. Enjoyed the game, felt very organic, fluid and more realistic with regards to space, movement and body physics.

Cracked some great strikes, witnessed some beautiful first touch improvised lay-offs. The freedom of movement feels the most natural I've seen to date and is complimented by the awareness of space.

Obviously very first impressions, but I really like and can clearly see what they are try to achieve here.

Good to see you back Jim

For what it's worth, I think a lot of these problems are exacerbated because of online play. I understand what Curdstar is saying about having the agency not to do things in the game that spoilt it, but it's also hard when Konami haven't done anything to disincentive it themselves (yet). Online isn't really a fair place to expect people to play nicely - people always play online to win and will take advantage of any minor weakness to do so (that's just how it is). By a a rule of thumb, you have to make it so that people don't exploit your weaknesses, not that they're nice enough not to bother. It's what the community would say about Fifa, Halo, Call of Duty, Battlegrounds, Gran Turismo. Literally any popular online game.

Offline is a different kettle of fish. It'll be MUCH better for the purists.

Edit: This is obviously just a BETA. Not the finished product.

I just had (another) game where someone just out the controller down when they started losing, so I took the time to test the shooting...

Main take away is it's consistently too powerful. I didn't score any even with no pressure and a free shot, not may went on target either. The problem is no matter the angle or the pressure, theyre rockets.

It means there's no satisfaction in catching one clean or working the space to make sure you get a good strike. If they can fix that itll be v good.
Indeed that the problem. Every long range shot feels like it's powerful rocket,not a single floaty shot. Trajectory variation is not visible at all. Adam said the build after E3 has more variation in shots, i can only hope i will see it with the demo.

Anybody having any joy with trap feint? It seems like you can only let it through your legs to chase it afterwards - you can't just let it go to someone else. L1+R1 is now mapped to R1, and there's nothing for R1 trap feint.

Anybody having any joy with trap feint? It seems like you can only let it through your legs to chase it afterwards - you can't just let it go to someone else. L1+R1 is now mapped to R1, and there's nothing for R1 trap feint.

Odd thing to omit if they have, unless they have automated that completely now and made it so as it happens only when the pass is powered and intended for another player, which is of very little use to manual players. I know this has been in the game for a while now, the auto feinting and players jumping over the ball and alike, but you still want that option to do it yourself.

The thing I am struggling to get to grips with is how the shielding actually works. I know it is contextual, but I'm seeing dudes do it frequently against me, and it isn't as if I am always spamming pressure and making it easy for them, so there must be something allows you to engage it, or something that lets you know that you will do it. Having a c-unit of a time trying to work out some of the dribbling stuff too. I fear the online environment and this unfinished build aren't lending themselves well to me learning some of the finer points of the game.

Anyone else notice they are doing server load tests on the 26th and have said that responsiveness may be different after they do that?

Indeed that the problem. Every long range shot feels like it's powerful rocket,not a single floaty shot. Trajectory variation is not visible at all. Adam said the build after E3 has more variation in shots, i can only hope i will see it with the demo.

I can't imagine it's too difficult a variable to change and it would make such a huge difference to the game.

The more I play the more I see first touch error in appropriate situations, high balls, powerful passes and through the balls down the side. Makes such a big difference to how often you try these passes.

If the could just nail the shooting

No no no, please stop this. This might be my favorite thing included in this years game. It's so natural and contextual and the game actually reads your left analogue stick so well. It makes controlling the midfield SOOO much better than I imagined from this years game. Especially with this years auto shielding which I was highly pessimistic about (I always want the player to have the choice rather than the game deciding for me) but they did it almost perfectly already

read my mind?!

Odd thing to omit if they have, unless they have automated that completely now and made it so as it happens only when the pass is powered and intended for another player, which is of very little use to manual players. I know this has been in the game for a while now, the auto feinting and players jumping over the ball and alike, but you still want that option to do it yourself.

The thing I am struggling to get to grips with is how the shielding actually works. I know it is contextual, but I'm seeing dudes do it frequently against me, and it isn't as if I am always spamming pressure and making it easy for them, so there must be something allows you to engage it, or something that lets you know that you will do it. Having a c-unit of a time trying to work out some of the dribbling stuff too. I fear the online environment and this unfinished build aren't lending themselves well to me learning some of the finer points of the game.

Anyone else notice they are doing server load tests on the 26th and have said that responsiveness may be different after they do that?

I look like I never played Pes before when I play some of these guys. . .they can hold possession all day and feint past you when you try tackle. ..then when you get the ball they dispossess you immediately .. .I don't know how they do it.

Pro too.. . I was about to kick off against you yesterday morning .. .we were setting up tactics when the internet maintenance crew were on the road and knocked off my connection ha ha.
Ah man... that's a shame.
The connections today weren't the best either.
Guess the weekends are always the busiest.

I'm still trying to get my head round the free kicks no longer having the 'reversed option' for apply spin / direction. It's not even an option in the settings, I've booted about 90% of my corners straight out of play...

Is there anything more satisfying than (wait for it - not the goal)...

In other news, I'm seeing a worrying amount of cutback goals that's really starting to grate - just me?

@Chris Davies

Interesting. The guy used manual shooting via L2. ...and yeeaah another rocket shot. It just happens way to often...

Anybody having any joy with trap feint? It seems like you can only let it through your legs to chase it afterwards

I tried that several times but always end up in:

you can't just let it go to someone else. L1+R1 is now mapped to R1, and there's nothing for R1 trap feint.

For me it works with R1+L1 and not touching the dpad. But how can I let it through the players legs to chase it afterwards?

Loving it. Played about 10 games, and as a manual player at least 8 felt like genuinely good, fair games (and lag free!).

Doesn't sound like much to write home about, but I think I played both 2016 and 2017 online about twice before deciding to write off the online play.

Bingo. This is a selection from top players and how many games? 100? I am not saying its not possible. The main issue it happens way to often in PES 17/18 even with avarage players. I see in 9/10 games rockets shots. Lets make it short:

Do you find the shots in PES 17/18 overall (way) to hard/rocket like?
Do you think that palyer stats and position does not play a big role when it comes to shooting compared to older PES games as PES6?
yes i personally think it doesn t have any effect, as the no variation in shooting is giving this game a lifeless feel to the shooting mechanics

I look like I never played Pes before when I play some of these guys. . .they can hold possession all day and feint past you when you try tackle. ..then when you get the ball they dispossess you immediately .. .I don't know how they do it.

Pretty much my world at the moment too.

Really can't stop playing, Good Football Demos are such a Tease. Just as you're getting into the tension of the game it's over. Was the ref always this tight on Stoppage time?

Usually when you're in the middle of one more dangerous attack he rides it out until you lose possession. Not here though. Not last hurrahs up the field.

I am loving the beta, especially the 3v3. It's fun. That's all I can really, or want to , say about it. I don't overthink online gameplay. To me, it's not the same at all. The variables are too high (players using supercancel, secondary pressure, just to name a few) and not worth it.

If I want to take a break from the offline gameplay, it's nice to know how much fun the online gameplay will be. Assuming this is similar code to the final.

I am loving the beta, especially the 3v3. It's fun. That's all I can really, or want to , say about it. I don't overthink online gameplay. To me, it's not the same at all. The variables are too high (players using supercancel, secondary pressure, just to name a few) and not worth it.

If I want to take a break from the offline gameplay, it's nice to know how much fun the online gameplay will be. Assuming this is similar code to the final.
I noticed Cb's following runners way too deep seems much better now. The defensive line keeps their shape much better now. It definitely still happens but it does seem less egregious

I think I played you. :)

I find that if I have dominated an opponent I the first half the game will start to sway things on favour of them and you won't be able to clear you lines as every clearance goes to the opponent. Feels pretty scripted tbh and exactly how pes 2017 has been

I guess this happens often when the opponent plays with france? They are playing with 4-5-1 formation and just stupidly holding R1+X and sometimes additionally [] in the midfield. The pressing is way to effective as long you are not pressing to often with the defenders on counters. The player with the ball struggles IMO to often in these situations when body contact is applied from the opponent (even when you control Giroud) or the defender just bumps into you player from behind and you are not able to execute the shot/pass or you just lose the ball. I wish you would have more control when using body to shield the ball.
Don't get me wrong: I do win against these R1+X pressure guys but this stupid method should be lead to way more goals on my side (similar to PES6).

Last edited:
I guess this happens often when the opponent plays with france? They are playing with 4-5-1 formation and just stupidly holding R1+X and sometimes additionally [] in the midfield. The pressing is way to effective as long you are not pressing to often with the defenders on counters. The player with the ball struggles IMO to often in these situations when body contact is applied from the opponent (even when you control Giroud) or the defender just bumps into you player from behind and you are not able to execute the shot/pass or you just lose the ball. I wish you would have more control when using body to shield the ball.
Don't get me wrong: I do win against these R1+X pressure guys but this stupid method should be lead to way more goals on my side (similar to PES6).

Yeh that's exactly how it happens.

Superstar AI spam the defence splitting cross field through ball ground pass, they running amok in all dat open space

Just played a match in which there was 8 minutes injury time played. Note how the clock doesn't stop ticking but changes to ticking over in real time when the ball goes out of play in some situations? I wonder if that can impact the amount of time that could end up being played.

Idk how alot of you are struggling with lag. Over 50 or so matches I've had, not a single game had a SLIGHT amount of lag. I am in USA, 100mbps internet speed. Perhaps its your connection to blame ?

Yep I am running the same speed and had only 1 laggy match for every 15 matches.

Back
Top Bottom