PES 2018 BETA Discussion Thread

I find that if I have dominated an opponent I the first half the game will start to sway things on favour of them and you won't be able to clear you lines as every clearance goes to the opponent. Feels pretty scripted tbh and exactly how pes 2017 has been

Happened to me this morning Zee. . .all over this guy and went 1 up could have been 3 thought I had an easy one.. . .second half the opposite happened, I couldn't get near the ball and got beaten 1-2. .. I was in shock.

I just played my first couple of matches of the beta and I'm not completely sold on it tbh.

In the first match I came back from a goal down to win 2-1 but my opponent wasn't that good and it could of been his first time with the new game also as the match seemed very fast with a lot of end to end play as neither of us really seemed to understand the new defending method.

As I started the second match I could tell the other guy really knew what he was doing as he was slickly stroking the ball around his defense looking to drag me out of position to make space which he did as I foolishly tried to overpress, he missed a few good chances before I decided I'd play more defensively and only press him in my own half which worked and I managed to counter him at the end of the first half to go a goal up against the run of play.

I started to get to grips with the passing and used a lot of quick passing patterns and overlapping runs down the left with Kurzawa to make some nice chances and eventually I got a second goal with Mbappe after a nice through ball to get an enjoyable 2-0 victory over a superior opponent(at least at the start of the match) considering I haven't really played much online since PES 6 on the Xbox 360 and I kinda hate the PS4 controller I was pleased.

The shooting really needs more variables like weak scuffed shots and bobbling along the ground and I wasn't that impressed with the graphics tbh(a bit blurry) but I'll be getting PES 2018 on PC so we can fix that with mods.

I'll leave it for now until the proper demo comes out so I can really make a judgment on the computer A.I.

Thanks for the indirect book recommendation, dude. Might pick that up.

Yeah, have to agree with what you say in the last paragraph there. Even though the two teams in the beta are on the better side, anything I am playing in which I am not playing in the direction I am facing has a sense of risk/difficulty to it, and most certainly when using manual passing when under pressure, but I still can play to engineer one-touch situations in the short game.

Don't think I have found myself using the R2 + circle variant for playing short passes and layoffs like I have recently with this beta. Was it Bergkamp who said that there is plenty space, more space, to work with above the keeper and that is why he liked to chip them? I'm trying to apply that to some of my short passing game. Some of the little patterns you can weave are impressive, as well as how you can really mix up the tempo. For the first time in a few years I am enjoying playing as Brazil.

How you finding it all anyway, mate?

Sorry, missed all of this! Yeah, it's an interesting book. I've had it a couple of years but only just started reading it a couple of weeks ago. It falls a bit flat when it comes to recommending signings based on the numbers, but it's great for changing how you think about football truisms. Are corners worth getting excited about, for example; how vulnerable is a 2-0 lead, and is it more effective to focus on scoring more or conceding less?

I've been using little lobbed passes lots too, as well as having the height to use it's slightly slower than a ground pass which throws people's timing out and stops the ball rolling out of touch. It can really shit people up if you use R2 to drag the ball backwards and then scoop a short lob over the onrushing defender. People really get tempted in by an aerial ball too, forgetting that it's pretty bloody easy to just head the ball down and keep the move going.

I'm really enjoying it. I've had my arse handed to me once, by a guy who definitely knew his stuff. It was 3-0 and 25 minutes before I snapped out of my comfortable online haze and started really thinking about how to counter his unpredictable dribbling and passing play. Finished 3-0, I had a good couple of chances and gave a much better account of myself, but he was still a worthy winner. Wished I could have had a rematch.

I think we've covered most of the issues in here now - I'd love more control when trying to do more pinpoint defending, I want more varied shooting, refs who call fouls for charging up the back of you, and they need to do a bit of work with player switching & ball awareness (which I think is why R1 trap feint isn't working). But I'm delighted that right now it's much more evenly matched between assisted and manual. The pace is definitely far quicker with more experience without completely running away from you as with 2017. I'm loving the general sense of freedom in the passing, and I've seen a lot of potential in the shielding which bodes well if they tweak it further. 3v3 could be great but I just can't play with the idiots who are on it now, bringing out the keeper when the ball's on the halfway line or double pressing all the time.

Overall, really pleased. A fair bit of work still to be doing, but, like any bright young talent, it's easy to forgive most of the failings while you feel there's time to work on them. Roll on Gamescom and August for the offline demo and a chance to see how much further along it all is.

Were you one of the possession masters who kept barging me off the ball? ha ha. What's your psn name on the beta?

Hahah, I don't think it's a good idea to give psn info online bc of how compromised Sony has been in its security.

i don t think u can scalp the higher teams with leganes or alaves for example, the game is too cheaty on superstar to let u do that another reason i stopped playing pes 17

Love this funny random moments

giphy.gif

Played around 30 games on PS4 and 2/3rds of those games consisted of network/input lag and disconnections. Tried the beta on XB1 and online felt much more stable.

I just want to say that there's definitely scripting involved on the beta .. .it can favour either player and throws up evenly balanced matches as well .. .I played a couple of games and I couldn't believe how bad I was . .. one was against vxcmplx and it was dreadful a laggy 0-0 . .the two of us couldn't do the basics. .. . next 3 games were great, won 1 lost won and drew one .. the match that I won totally favoured me . . every loose ball came to me and I looked faster than my opponent. . then I had a couple of great draws. . .this has happened on two consecutive nights and the drawn matches were that enjoyable that the guys that I was playing against messaged me on PSN to say great game.

I just want to say that there's definitely scripting involved on the beta .. .it can favour either player and throws up evenly balanced matches as well .. .I played a couple of games and I couldn't believe how bad I was . .. one was against vxcmplx and it was dreadful a laggy 0-0 . .the two of us couldn't do the basics. .. . next 3 games were great, won 1 lost won and drew one .. the match that I won totally favoured me . . every loose ball came to me and I looked faster than my opponent. . then I had a couple of great draws. . .this has happened on two consecutive nights and the drawn matches were that enjoyable that the guys that I was playing against messaged me on PSN to say great game.

Aaah crap Deco. That will be terrible for Master League this year.

Honestly Topaz I was about to delete the beta because I was playing so bad and then all of a sudden things start to go my way without me changing anything. . .everything felt great, had some great matches with strangers . .a bit like memorable one night stands.

so do you think the ball is scripted? not rolling out of play when it should. ect. ect.

Guys Im having one MAJOR problems with color calibration with this game. Daytime/Nightime both look wayy too bright, a lot crisp just not like in the videos you guys upload. If anyone has any settings or experience how to calibrate 47" Samsung Plasma HDTV let me know. Color is set to only 60% I think but It feels and looks like colors are waaay up in the 90s almost full.

Guys Im having one MAJOR problems with color calibration with this game. Daytime/Nightime both look wayy too bright, a lot crisp just not like in the videos you guys upload. If anyone has any settings or experience how to calibrate 47" Samsung Plasma HDTV let me know. Color is set to only 60% I think but It feels and looks like colors are waaay up in the 90s almost full.

If there's a cinema/movie mode on your TV use that then follow the brightness/contrast calibration steps in the game settings.

What I really want to experience is playing with lesser teams and players. I hardly ever use the likes of Brazil or France on or offline. I like mid to lower tier teams and trying to scalp the big boys with them.
I really love playing with the South American teams because you really need to work out the strengths of different players and they're usually don't have overpowered stats so when you pull off a great shot or pass it feels more rewarding. Not like Pogba or Griezmann on the beta...FFS.

Had a couple of bad connections the other night and it turned me off the game. People dribbling around you while the cursor takes 2 seconds to switch...but last night it was smooth sailing and the games were great. I've got the matchmaking restrictions opened up but the opponents have been really good, in the way they play and in their football thinking. Had a 3-0 win as Brazil vs France (highlights posted on the video page) but it could have been 3-3.

i don t think u can scalp the higher teams with leganes or alaves for example, the game is too cheaty on superstar to let u do that another reason i stopped playing pes 17

For me, it's easier to beat bigger teams than smaller teams in PES 2017. Bigger teams are more open and since player stats don't have that much impact in PES 2017, that itself gives a huge advantage. I get scorelines like Sunderland 6 - 0 Chelsea and Sunderland 4 - 1 Liverpool in Superstar almost regularly whereas teams like Middlesbrough and Crystal Palace are nightmare to play against and I usually lose/tie those games. So bloody annoying and the biggest turn off for any footie game for me.

I am not sure if it's prevalent offline tbh not in a string of matches.

Being a mainly online player I noticed this alot. The game just swings against you for a few matches the swings back again especially as you play myclub divisions.

It's pretty blatant about it as well. Your players seem to be slower to every ball. Your defenders do everything to lose shape and miss tackles. If you happen to make it all the way up the pitch you will miss sitters. Such a cheap tactic to balance the game out.

I am not sure if it's prevalent offline tbh not in a string of matches.

Being a mainly online player I noticed this alot. The game just swings against you for a few matches the swings back again especially as you play myclub divisions.

It's pretty blatant about it as well. Your players seem to be slower to every ball. Your defenders do everything to lose shape and miss tackles. If you happen to make it all the way up the pitch you will miss sitters. Such a cheap tactic to balance the game out.
maybe this is why we don't see smart aware quality defensive AI today. It's easier to make it just cheat..

Last edited:
i really don't even feel like playing 2017 anymore after playing 2018 beta. I'd rather play PES 5 or just wait 45min for a good lv4 online connection.

i'm thinking 2017 is getting the boot in 3 weeks!

No no no, please stop this. This might be my favorite thing included in this years game. It's so natural and contextual and the game actually reads your left analogue stick so well. It makes controlling the midfield SOOO much better than I imagined from this years game. Especially with this years auto shielding which I was highly pessimistic about (I always want the player to have the choice rather than the game deciding for me) but they did it almost perfectly already.

Ive been wanting this in Fifa for years and I finally thought I was getting it with no touch dribbling but they implemented that about as badly as they couldve with players looking like their doing the hokey-pokey more than anything else.

I didnt even realize this was a new feature by watching other people videos I just thought people were gettin really good at using the skill moves lol.

I have had my player auto feint without my intention a few times and had players run out of bounds or give the ball away in key situations but I will take that any day of the freakin week. Sorry if this seems like an attack I just got discourage when I saw a good amount of people liked this post

It's a nice addition and it looks good, yeah.
But I don't want it to randomly interfere in my input.
As soon as an opponent approaches, often my player ignores the input I'm giving him but goes for that animation.
Why didn't they bring back right stick body shifting then?
I have to test this on the demo against the AI... maybe there's also online instability coming in.

Anyway I still enjoy this game.
Playing full manual against assisted users doesn't leave you out totally without any chance.
Probably played against 1bar passing level users as they had a few misplaced passes.

It's a nice addition and it looks good, yeah.
But I don't want it to randomly interfere in my input.
As soon as an opponent approaches, often my player ignores the input I'm giving him but goes for that animation.
Why didn't they bring back right stick body shifting then?
I have to test this on the demo against the AI... maybe there's also online instability coming in.

Anyway I still enjoy this game.
Playing full manual against assisted users doesn't leave you out totally without any chance.
Probably played against 1bar passing level users as they had a few misplaced passes.
TBO i can't tell if i'm playing assisted or manual players when i played. I still got smashed 4-0 2-0 5-0 or 1-0....:D I never played PES online until now. And it shows......I have to figure out these pricks play styles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom