PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Still playing atleast one game a day on 2017 especially MYCLUB vs the com. Online is all but unplayable for me this season because I keep getting connected to other African players and the connection is always shite.

Have noticed quite a few changes since the last patch, corners have been toned down making them less effective but they have broken it. For example, if you select your 3 beat header players to join the set piece they are standing on the outskirts and not in the hub of the attacking setpiece. If you try to send the ball to them it's always intercepted by the keeper or one of your weaklings with sub 75 heading stats

Also I am hearing tons of new commentary pieces. Talk about players finding their feet in the team and becoming regulars and building a reputation. I have also heard new lines around contract renewals which is cool

Same here.
I don´t play it that often but like 2 - 4 times a week.
Guess, the fact that I don´t play it too frequently, makes it easy to deal with the few niggles.
I play myclub as well. Playing those challenges against the COM to win the agents.

I also play those weekly online challenges on manual passing against assisted users.
Most of those games are alright and it´s so rewarding beating an assisted player.
When I play a normal myclub game, it´s mostly horrible, but those challenges play quite well....can´t say why....coincidence maybe.

What´s good is playing full manual vs full manual on a regular online match....hard to find users sometimes though.

Ok, I have been traditionally a fifa player. Pes 2017 demo together with the repetitive nature of past fifa editions have strongly incited me to make the jump to pes for the first time since PS and PS2 times (call me newbie if you want).
Until recently I have been quite happy with my decision as I have enjoyed and loved this game during much of the year since its release. But since the last couple of month I didn't find myself having as much fun as I was having before. I thought it was due to the game starting to feel repetitive gameplay wise and so becoming more and more boring. I have even jumped back to fifa16 that I have easily found more fun again compared to current pes 2017 but of course not exempt of its own frustrating aspects (You probably know what I mean). How could I possibly liked a game that much to only few month after not being able to play a full game because it was too boring (only speaking about gameplay)?

My pes copy was destined to take dust in a cupboard when I thought, f**k it and I erased all the downloaded content associated with the game to start it from the original disk version (1.00.00) without letting any patch to be installed by my PS4.

I am finding the v1.00.00 actually very fun to play compared to the current version. I can't exactly tell you what is different but I am certain the disk version is way more fun to play for me. I have repeated several time the experience
to play current and disk versions alternately and I really find the current one boring and the disk one fun.

I am not showing up here to bring wood to the fire of the placebo/vs not placebo debate but instead to ask for any possible help with an issue I am facing with the disk version.
I am not able to import any picture/bin to the game as I am getting this stupid message: "In order to use this function, you will need to connect to the PlayStationTM Network and check that there are no user-generated media restriction for your Sony Entertainment Network account. Connect to your PlayStationTM Network and check the current settings for Sub Account Management "

I have tried unsuccessfully to fix that through the PlayStation Network.
I have also tried to load on the disk version edited data saved on the current version but they do not want to load because of conflict between the versions, same thing with master league created from the current version (current can take old version data but the old can't take current version data).

Am I stucked with a fun PES2017 in is juice, I mean without the possibility to load any kit or bin (at least kits please!)?
Do you know about any trick or thing I can do to be able to use some edited content with the disk version of the game on PS4?

Still playing atleast one game a day on 2017 especially MYCLUB vs the com. Online is all but unplayable for me this season because I keep getting connected to other African players and the connection is always shite.

Have noticed quite a few changes since the last patch, corners have been toned down making them less effective but they have broken it. For example, if you select your 3 beat header players to join the set piece they are standing on the outskirts and not in the hub of the attacking setpiece. If you try to send the ball to them it's always intercepted by the keeper or one of your weaklings with sub 75 heading stats

Also I am hearing tons of new commentary pieces. Talk about players finding their feet in the team and becoming regulars and building a reputation. I have also heard new lines around contract renewals which is cool
Yeah I'm still playing 2-6 games a day on ML, the pesuniverse OF has been the best out of all for me, they modified the tactics to make each game really enjoyable and they must of tweaked a few stats as well, that's why if pes 18 is a just a couple of lazy add ons in ML I can wait till drops in price, 17 still gives me a good fix could play it for another year easily.

I think the premise of trying to produce a football simulation instead of a football game is flawed. Simulation indicates you're trying to externally simulate something, which means putting the wagon before the horse instead of building from inside out. This entire simulation process shifts focus from structure to appearance, which will prioritize making the game look good instead of play good. This means Konami has removed the structure of pes from a stats based game with an inner core to a game which runs more like a movie script and reacts to input. Whereas the old gen stats based games were just that - a game which was hard coded but also behaved as you wanted it, thus gave more room for individual mastery and setting.

You had the same sort of thing with a game like Tekken. It wasn't a realistic simulation. It was a game, and to become good required mastery. Now imagine the Tekken fan base demanding more of a realistic fight simulator, you will actually have to destroy what is Tekken to create that. They would have to loosen up the set structure of the game, and replace it with something more movie like where the game basically plays itself with simplified fighting that looks more realistic.

This is essentially what has happened to pes. Whereas the old gen was 8 direction passing it was simultaneously hard coded through stats and gave us full control. Now the players are more like marionettes on a stage with no personality. It all looks good but plays like a movie script with no individuality and tactical depth.

I'm only doing guesswork here but that's how I feel. The stats are mostly there for fun now. It's become all about visuals. This simulation hysteria is just marketing since the only sensible thing can be giving us an actual game, or else it's just a simulation.

I'm analyzing it more from a philosophical POV rather than a gamers since the overall trend in society is focus on appearance not structure which naturally explains the direction of pes.

Last edited:
We have been playing team play mode, 11 v COM, almost every night lately, in full manual settings.

You are welcomed to join us if interested. Usually kicks off around 8pm UK time :)

Here's a sample:

Does anybody else find the game to be defensively totally fucked up since the last patch (about 2 months ago)? Players not reacting to clear the ball or totally ignoring it, bad positioning, leaving acres of free space etc.

Something that never really bothered me before is the catch up bug in this game. But I decided to start my own little competition in Exhibition matches, editing each team as i played. First up was Newcastle v Nottm Forest so I edited both teams and exaggerating some stats as an experiment. I made one Nottm player 99 Speed and 99 Explosive Power because he has the Speed Bullet skill. But played a game and I was Nottm Forest and he may as well be slow, Shelvey would catch him up all the time, even if I knock the ball forward and sprint. Why is that?

It is actually a game breaker for me because I never paid much attention before.

I really hope they get rid of it in the new game.

What was the last game without catch up bug? Was it PES2012?

Something that never really bothered me before is the catch up bug in this game. But I decided to start my own little competition in Exhibition matches, editing each team as i played. First up was Newcastle v Nottm Forest so I edited both teams and exaggerating some stats as an experiment. I made one Nottm player 99 Speed and 99 Explosive Power because he has the Speed Bullet skill. But played a game and I was Nottm Forest and he may as well be slow, Shelvey would catch him up all the time, even if I knock the ball forward and sprint. Why is that?

It is actually a game breaker for me because I never paid much attention before.

I really hope they get rid of it in the new game.

What was the last game without catch up bug? Was it PES2012?

Yep, I have tested the same thing and the catch up bug is pretty bad at 2017. PES 2012 is the last game where speed burst was a thing. After that, I don't really even care about a pacey player or not when I look at the stats.

Thats why Pes 2017 is so glorious, you can't just hit sprint (like fifa gameplay), expect the stats to do the rest and expect your players to be robots.

There is no catchup bug in Pes 2017, well there is if you dont know how to dribble and use the different running speeds available. You actually need to learn the various controls to beat players effectively, very cool and realistic I find.

Thats why Pes 2017 is so glorious, you can't just hit sprint (like fifa gameplay), expect the stats to do the rest and expect your players to be robots.

There is no catchup bug in Pes 2017, well there is if you dont know how to dribble and use the different running speeds available. You actually need to learn the various controls to beat players effectively, very cool and realistic I find.

That is why it never used to bother me because like yourself I would use skill and dribble around players.

But when I am playing with 'hug the touchline' tactic and I see my fast player in space on the wing, I expect to be able to pass to him and he should be able to stay ahead of Shelvey. Not realistic at all.

Yep, I have tested the same thing and the catch up bug is pretty bad at 2017. PES 2012 is the last game where speed burst was a thing. After that, I don't really even care about a pacey player or not when I look at the stats.

How was PES2012, what were the flaws?

We have been playing team play mode, 11 v COM, almost every night lately, in full manual settings.

You are welcomed to join us if interested. Usually kicks off around 8pm UK time :)

Here's a sample:
I made a room yesterday night with 8 friends for 10 vs 10 full manual and I invite your friends Bluemooner and Visualcomplexity, some come and leave just after...

Well it happens in real life. Bale can easily sprint past and outpace a lot of defenders. Defenders then use positioning, strength and sliding tackle to defend pacey attackers all of which pes lacks. So to prevent outpacing, they go with the cheaper option of rubber-banding AI.

Well it happens in real life. Bale can easily sprint past and outpace a lot of defenders. Defenders then use positioning, strength and sliding tackle to defend pacey attackers all of which pes lacks. So to prevent outpacing, they go with the cheaper option of rubber-banding AI.
man on another note, do u have any good kitserver for winning eleven 9 le, i just installed the game but doesnt work with the build in kitserver 5.4

That is why it never used to bother me because like yourself I would use skill and dribble around players.

But when I am playing with 'hug the touchline' tactic and I see my fast player in space on the wing, I expect to be able to pass to him and he should be able to stay ahead of Shelvey. Not realistic at all.

I dont use those tactics, I use my own so I cant comment on that. But I know that if I have a winger free in an attacking position and he gets the ball, I have no problem staying ahead of defenders (no catchup bug).

As Ive mentioned, I have no catchup bug issue with Pes 2017.

I dont use those tactics, I use my own so I cant comment on that. But I know that if I have a winger free in an attacking position and he gets the ball, I have no problem staying ahead of defenders (no catchup bug).

As Ive mentioned, I have no catchup bug issue with Pes 2017.

Is it possible that you can post a video so that i can see what i am doing wrong. I know how to get passed defenders by stopping and starting and twisting and turning, and without the ball my player can get to the ball first but as soon as my player has the ball the defenders increase their speed stats. Its as if their legs get longer. thanks.

Also, what tactics do you use if you dont use Advanced?

Last edited:
The only thing that will stop me from buying PES 2018 is scripting and catch-up bug. I can deal with the positioning issue but I don't wanna feel cheated or can't outpace Mertesacker with Bale.

(Moved this post from PES 2018 thread.)

I agree.

After having played PES 2017 quite a bit during the past week, I am in the zone, so I will use concrete examples.

A two-legged cup round. First match at home ends 1-1. Super exciting. Both teams have a pass completion rate in the 70s. There is a moment when we are up 1-0 and Gabriel Jesus is through on goal. He's like pretty fast, but two defenders the size of tank catch up with a leisurely pace. So catch up is there.

Second leg away. Horrible momentum scripting. There are quite a few good indicators of this:
  • CPU pass rate
  • lost 1 vs. 1s
  • even when you win a 1 vs. 1, for example by tackling, the ball usually ends up with the opposition: your player falls, CPU players react faster
  • nutmegs, my absolute favorite: even when your defensive player is perfectly positioned, the CPU can bypass him easily
  • CPU tackling abilities are phenomenal
  • user players slow down, especially when receiving a pass.
For the vast majority of time in this match I was switching players, trying to cover passing lanes and put a bit of pressure on the CPU. I estimate that we typically needed around three successful tackles before we got possession. CPU pass rate was around 90%. Putting pressure on CPU defenders was useless. CPU created chances with long lazer guided precision ground passes.

So two matches, one exciting with a bit of catch up, the other a scripting nightmare. Same opponent.

(Just uninstalled PES 2017. Got my money's worth, no doubt about it.)

Last edited:
Even if they swapped Match Scripting for Off Match Scripting that would not be so bad.

For example, your top scorer gets injured for the rest of the season, or they request a transfer, or maybe the teams above you keep winning. That would be quite realistic but still give the CPU the advantage without affecting what happens on the pitch.

I only bought PES2017 last week as it’s on sale on ps4plus.

I had not played pes since about 2012, when I gave up completely.

After that I moved to Fifa (yes, I admit, I’m guilty) and played 15, 16 and 17.

It was a nice experience, and I must admit it did feel refreshing to have everything licensed out of the box (yes, again I admit, I really want to have all licenses, stadiums, balls etc.)

Anyway, I enjoyed those games for what they are. 15 was ok, 16 was better and 17 is a mixed bag for me.

So, anyway, I’m now about 10 games into pes2017 and must say I really really like it!

It takes a bit of getting used to, but it’s definitely fun for me.

Sure, it’s still honeymoon period and I did read this forum so I’m sure some things will bug me later on, but for now it feels really good.

I’m using Chris Davies’ option file so now have everything licensed.

The gameplay feels fresh. I really love the animations. Player faces are very good, especially for Eredivisie players who didn’t get a lot of love in fifa.

I like the crossing and heading (even if perhaps it’s somewhat overpowered).

Shooting definitely feels overpowered.

Defending feels easier than fifa (but I’m not playing on a very high level yet)

Playing this now, and seeing many improvements being announced for Pes2018 will definitely make me buy pes2018!

For the first time I will be getting pes, and wait before purchasing fifa18.

I did not think this would ever happen anymore. Pes had some really bad editions but I do feel that they are on the right track again.

I mean, I love the fact that fifa has all the premier league stadiums. But in the end I barely notice that when playing. Pes does a great job on the pitch, and the atmosphere in their stadiums isn’t that bad at all. I like the banners that they put up, the addboards for Eredivisie with real dutch adds, not bad at all.

Crowd noise is pretty bad, and commentary is not great either, but I can live with that.
One thing they really need to change : either speed up the replay stuff.
Not the replay itself, but the time to load it takes way too long. And trying to skip it also takes too long.
Either give us the option to turn replay off, or make it faster to skip through.
Another thing I noticed during my limited time : i got fouled a few times, but it was never called. A few of them near the penalty box, which means i didn't get a change to try out the free kick.
I already read about that on this forum, and really hope it will be better in 18.

The advantage I have now is that I’m now playing a fresh game of pes, which will easily keep me busy until the next one arrives.

Can’t wait to go home and get some more games in!

Last edited:
Is it possible that you can post a video so that i can see what i am doing wrong. I know how to get passed defenders by stopping and starting and twisting and turning, and without the ball my player can get to the ball first but as soon as my player has the ball the defenders increase their speed stats. Its as if their legs get longer. thanks.

Also, what tactics do you use if you dont use Advanced?

I dont rec gameplay so that would take a lot of time... but basically find out all the different speed controls, and it is about using the right one in the right situation and timing it perfectly. Will take practice (it's not always easy) but it is rewarding when you can pull it off.

I basically use my own formation that suits my attacking style and then use the attacking/def mentality according to who Im playing, the importance of the match, and what is happening in the match.

I dont rec gameplay so that would take a lot of time... but basically find out all the different speed controls, and it is about using the right one in the right situation and timing it perfectly. Will take practice (it's not always easy) but it is rewarding when you can pull it off.

I basically use my own formation that suits my attacking style and then use the attacking/def mentality according to who Im playing, the importance of the match, and what is happening in the match.

Oh ok thanks for the tips. I played again today and my faster player 'got away' but only because of his strength not so much his speed. I suppose i am still used to the old PES' where you could just press R1.

It's a shame you are not able to do a video. If you are on PS4 its actually quite easy to record.

I saw a couple of videos apparantly showing no catch up bug but the person was just passing before the defender got to him so didnt prove anything at all.

I think you are talking about a different thing, not the catch up bug.

Say De Bruyne plays a through ball to Aguero, who is through on goal. All the defenders are behind him, so he is not going to need "dribbling or different running speeds to beat defenders effectively." All he has to do is to outpace the defenders and then beat the goalie.

For me, the catch up bug means that in such a situation in PES, slow defenders would catch up with the fast striker. Happens way too often.

I do know how to use "dribbling or different running speed to beat players effectively" for example on the wings. But that's a different story.

Last edited:
I think you are talking about a different thing, not the catch up bug.

Say De Bruyne plays a through ball to Aguero, who is through on goal. All the defenders are behind him, so he is not going to need "dribbling or different running speeds to beat defenders effectively." All he has to do is to outpace the defenders and then beat the goalie.

For me, the catch up bug means that in such a situation in PES, slow defenders would catch up with the fast striker. Happens way too often.

I do know how to use "dribbling or different running speed to beat players effectively" for example on the wings. But that's a different story.

I agree entirely. The players do run at different speeds when they are chasing a lose ball, which come to think of it does not happen much, but when your attacker is running with the ball (either at his feet or being knocked forward slightly) all defenders can catch him.

I have been adjusting stats (slowly) for each team and I find the game is playing better. Baring in mind that I am playing Exhibition Matches not ML. Things like reducing ball control, passing , shot power, injury thingie. I am seeing a good few poor touches and opportunities to get that loose ball.

Also, in 2 games I played I had a player injured and he had to be subbed. No cut scene or anything, just so and so is injured. I miss those old PES5 hamstring injuries.

Guys, today I buy PS3. I wanna try PES 2017 but its missing in Demo section in PSStore ... why ? Is it because I have Bulgarian region account or.. what? And can I download the demo on the USB drive and .. installing somehow on console?

I made a room yesterday night with 8 friends for 10 vs 10 full manual and I invite your friends Bluemooner and Visualcomplexity, some come and leave just after...

:THINK:? I'm visualcomplexity :DD. We've been playing everynight starting 9pm or so. We been having some 9v9 games lately, they are people from manual leagues I play in or work with. I think a couple of people from evoweb showed up. Kete I met on here, not sure what his user name is on evoweb. @vialli82 was there one night I think.

Back
Top Bottom