PES 2017 PlayStation & Xbox Discussion Thread

Can only speak from a personal viewpoint but I find the shooting, because I am using Advanced Shooting in every mode I play and have done so from the moment I got the game, to be superb. Advanced Shooting is almost perfect for a player like me. I can't do Manual Shooting because of preferred camera angle and zoom (probably just me) and I now completely detest Basic Shooting. I tried to use it in a couple of myClub matches weeks ago - it was awful and unfortunately, for players who like the idea of Basic Shooting and wish to see that improved, it is horribly assisted. Way too automated in feel. I don't think I can emphasise enough just how utterly horrid Basic Shooting is and I'm not singling out fellow players on this forum for opting to use it. No, it should be far, far better than it is, in an ideal world.

Basic Shooting is totally gimped in this game; completely and utterly. It lacks any of the sense of finesse and placement found in older, much loved games in the series. The code basically feels programmed to pick the absolutely best connection and execution for every possible shot, from any possible angle. Yeah, stuff goes wide/over and alike, but there is just this overwhelming feeling of it all not really requiring any kind of involvement from me. It quite literally is, unfortunately, "Basic"

In my post previous to this one, in which I posted up a vid of a myClub match I was using Advanced Shooting. It was scrappy, but even my equaliser felt good; not because of it being an immediate response to me going one down, but because I had to keep my composure. Yes, even from that far out. Let me explain...

The ball is there to be nodded in by Firmino, but because I am using Advanced Shooting I could have (and indeed have in the past) totally ballsed that up. Had I left the controller in a central position and hit shoot for just a fraction too long, Firmino would likely have headed it over, or dinked it up and the keeper could have got under it. I had to do the opposite of what one could easily, instinctively do, and press the stick towards the goal and powered up to ensure a good connection. Instead, I had to push away from goal, to ensure that header would be kept low, and also ensure I got the required power to get it over the line. When it crossed the line there was a feeling of relief, but also composure. A good feeling.

The Nainggolan strike was again me having to get things right with the connection; press early so as to ensure he would strike it cleanly with his right and not left with a big sweep; get the length of the press right on the shoot button; don't push towards goal but down; don't push too far down or he hits it wide; don't lose compusure as that was one hell of a sweet tee-up from Lukaku! It just feels terrific when you get it all bang on and from some distance, following a nice wee pattern of play. That goal using Basic Shooting would feel so much less of a rewarding experience. But again, that isn't me having a go at those who want to use Basic Shooting and only wish for it to be better.

TL;DR - Advanced Shooting is almost perfect, but that doesn't mean Basic Shooting shouldn't feel better.
I'm using advanced shooting too (it is also my preferred option),but both visually and emotionally none of the 3 settings give me anything near the sense of realism or satisfaction I get from the shooting in the other game. I just can't put my finger on exactly what is missing/lacking

I'm using advanced shooting too (it is also my preferred option),but both visually and emotionally none of the 3 settings give me anything near the sense of realism or satisfaction I get from the shooting in the other game. I just can't put my finger on exactly what is missing/lacking
That's my issue with shooting too, shooting in FIFA 16 is very satisfying, contextual and stat based. I really think they got it right that year with shooting (haven't played much FIFA 17, so can't say about it). I really enjoy PES this year, but shooting, even in advanced shooting (which I've taken up this year on advice by curdstar, and it's the best option) is unsatisfying to me.

agree with a few of the boys here, pes 17 is by far for me the best football game iv played, im in my 8th season playing with inter milan, finally won the scudetto, but what i love alot about this game is the spikes of difficulty on professional which i honestly love, it resembles real life IMO, there are games where its tight, games where its too easy and cant wait till its over cos and then u have games where its extremely hard, love the balance, no point talking about the negatives of the game for the 100th time, we know what they are and looks as if pes18 may of fixed a majority of them. despite the negatives what people think of the individuality, its definately there, jus need to look deeper and videos dont show it, u need to feel and play it alot to understand the individuality in this game. good stuff :-)
btw i am considered to be a hardcore player which i know i will never see in this game, and also im not a pes fanboy, cause my feelings have been heard with pes 16 espcially, which i still rate is as bad as pes2008 or even worse for single player experiences, i rated fifa 14 and fifa16 alot and had high hopes EA were gonna take those games to another level but instead went backwards, pes18 could hit the sweet spot but still need more info on ML to be a day 1 purchase, unless off course the Beta blows me away with great connection and no lag as well no cheap predetermined goals, then its pre ordered straight away.

Last edited:
I've just started a Konami League on Pes 2017 Superstar manual and turned it into an International League playing as Italy . . .I ramped up the speed to +1 and 15 min matches .. trying to see it from an online kids view and I have to say it's bloody great fun. I did a smash and grab in the first two matches for late 1-0 wins and haven't conceded yet. One of the things that I didn't like in Pes 2017 was the difficulty of the dribbling as it was very hit and miss and the AI pressure gave you little time, always pressuring . .it forced you to keep passing or master tricks and feints which go out the window when the A.I are breathing down your neck .. . so that problem looks like it's fixed for Pes 2018.

agree with a few of the boys here, pes 17 is by far for me the best football game iv played, im in my 8th season playing with inter milan, finally won the scudetto, but what i love alot about this game is the spikes of difficulty on professional which i honestly love, it resembles real life IMO, there are games where its tight, games where its too easy and cant wait till its over cos and then u have games where its extremely hard, love the balance
Really love the game for this, and it's why I've played it for so long - but my problem is, when it spikes into "impossible" mode, it's not football any more. I'd love to be able to share one of my Master League saves so that everyone could try playing as my Hull side (who are top of the league) in the Europa League semi-final against Valencia.

I've never played another match like it (which is a great thing, as you say) - but they don't have to think about what they're doing, the pitch turns into a pinball machine. If I was watching it and thinking "wow, they're playing amazing football", I wouldn't care (and that's largely how I've felt during league games), but it doesn't look (or feel) like football. It's like Sonic the Hedgehog football.

I play the game after, against Man United in the league, and win 4-0... It just doesn't make sense...

But, I still say that the variation game-to-game is better than any previous football game I've played, and it's why I think it's the best PES ever. (So even if I'm critical of the 2018 videos, I can't help but be excited at the same time...)

What I strongly suggest is try creating a new psn and install there OF, they definitely have modified the stats cos I can tell a big difference, if u give it a go, I'd like to hear your thoughts.

If i do that, will it leave my current imported option file on my other account unchanged?
I'd love to install the V5 option file as i think it has Ratmundo's classic national teams in there as well.

If i do that, will it leave my current imported option file on my other account unchanged?
I'd love to install the V5 option file as i think it has Ratmundo's classic national teams in there as well.
what you could do is try installing half a dozen teams and check if its interfered with your other OF in your other accounts, i cant verify cos iv been using just pes universe only

Really love the game for this, and it's why I've played it for so long - but my problem is, when it spikes into "impossible" mode, it's not football any more. I'd love to be able to share one of my Master League saves so that everyone could try playing as my Hull side (who are top of the league) in the Europa League semi-final against Valencia.

I've never played another match like it (which is a great thing, as you say) - but they don't have to think about what they're doing, the pitch turns into a pinball machine. If I was watching it and thinking "wow, they're playing amazing football", I wouldn't care (and that's largely how I've felt during league games), but it doesn't look (or feel) like football. It's like Sonic the Hedgehog football.

I play the game after, against Man United in the league, and win 4-0... It just doesn't make sense...

But, I still say that the variation game-to-game is better than any previous football game I've played, and it's why I think it's the best PES ever. (So even if I'm critical of the 2018 videos, I can't help but be excited at the same time...)

yeah i understand where your coming from when u beat a Man Utd or any other big side convincingly, thats very disappointing for me too, but what i can say is, the guys at pes universe, there latest OF V5 have modified all the big teams tactics as well as quite a few others and they play a completely different game, much tougher than previous, which is why im hooked on it again till 18 comes out, as for the pinball football do you play on PA1, if so yeah makes sense, PA is damaged goods, but if your on manual, my players pass the ball harder when TS gets to over 85 but i dont get that pinball feeling

as for the pinball football do you play on PA1, if so yeah makes sense, PA is damaged goods, but if your on manual, my players pass the ball harder when TS gets to over 85 but i dont get that pinball feeling
I was playing on manual for 20 games or so - then came up against this Valencia side in the Europa League semi, and I was at such a massive disadvantage (every pass was going to them, which wasn't the case in previous matches) that I had to switch back to PA1.

It made no difference to how Valencia played, but it meant I stood 10% more of a chance - which still meant I was getting absolutely destroyed. No matter the tactics or the strategies, the psychic first-time 100mph football just can't be stopped, and it's not been anything like this in any match before or since.

If that kind of thing is removed from 2018 (but I'm still getting beat), I'll be incredibly happy...

what you could do is try installing half a dozen teams and check if its interfered with your other OF in your other accounts, i cant verify cos iv been using just pes universe only

Elfie and Jimi, just to let you know that i installed pes universe option file on a different account and it completly messed up my OF on my other account. I think the player stats (that i was adjusting) remained the same but kits and badges are all messed up.

A bit gutted if i'm honest because i was enjoying the games on my edited one. Baring in mind that i had only done 6 teams and was playing exhibition games, i got Man United down to 70% passing accuracy on top player.

So be warned.

Elfie and Jimi, just to let you know that i installed pes universe option file on a different account and it completly messed up my OF on my other account. I think the player stats (that i was adjusting) remained the same but kits and badges are all messed up.
Yeah, all graphics that you import are installed into the game install data (as opposed to the save data).

You only have one set of install data per game on the PlayStation (otherwise, each user would have to install the game again and you'd end up with 20gb games using up 100gb if you had five users).

Only game save data is walled off to each user, so team/player data can be unique. But the graphics can't be.

This is why, when I upload a save to play on a friend's PS4, who uses the same patch that I do, but whose game copied the graphics files across in a different order to mine (so e.g. kit 134 is West Ham on mine but Bayern Munich on his), everything is all over the place and it looks crazy.

A bit gutted if i'm honest because i was enjoying the games on my edited one. Baring in mind that i had only done 6 teams and was playing exhibition games, i got Man United down to 70% passing accuracy on top player.

So be warned.

Sorry to hear that it messed up your changes, but thank you for letting me know.

Yeah, all graphics that you import are installed into the game install data (as opposed to the save data).

You only have one set of install data per game on the PlayStation (otherwise, each user would have to install the game again and you'd end up with 20gb games using up 100gb if you had five users).

Only game save data is walled off to each user, so team/player data can be unique. But the graphics can't be.

This is why, when I upload a save to play on a friend's PS4, who uses the same patch that I do, but whose game copied the graphics files across in a different order to mine (so e.g. kit 134 is West Ham on mine but Bayern Munich on his), everything is all over the place and it looks crazy.

Yeh i had a feeling that was going to happen when i had to delete images to get the new ones on. I was just hoping that pes universe file would play well. Which i think it probably will but my first game against Hull and they had about 88% passing accuracy.

On my old one, Chelsea have Middlesboro kit now.

The good thing is that i should be able to change retired players names and faces in ML save to give it 1% more realism.

Sorry to hear that it messed up your changes, but thank you for letting me know.

No worries, it has made me give up on the editing which is probably a good thing. As it takes up too much time.

So be warned.
Damn, sorry mate, didn't realise it would do that much damage.

I was playing on manual for 20 games or so - then came up against this Valencia side in the Europa League semi, and I was at such a massive disadvantage (every pass was going to them, which wasn't the case in previous matches) that I had to switch back to PA1.

It made no difference to how Valencia played, but it meant I stood 10% more of a chance - which still meant I was getting absolutely destroyed. No matter the tactics or the strategies, the psychic first-time 100mph football just can't be stopped, and it's not been anything like this in any match before or since.

If that kind of thing is removed from 2018 (but I'm still getting beat), I'll be incredibly happy...
Also Chris if you've played a few seasons of ML, not sure if you've come across this but today I decided to check all the managers that currently managing in the Italian league and there's only 3 original mangers the other 15 have changed, which I couldn't believe cos it never came up on my news feed which managers go fired and hired which is a piss poor effort from Konami, reason I decided to check this is cos I used beat Napoli convincingly similar to your man utd experience then when I played them last they played completely different and noticed that tuchel from Dortmund has taken over them and made them play more aggressive high tempo and I struggled and honestly this blew me away, so for anyone that's played 2-3 seasons in ML go check the managers in your league and see if there different from who was there originally. Like to hear others thoughts if they can be bothered.
Also check if mourinho is still managing at man utd, cos if he's not there could explain why your giving them a beating

Last edited:
Also Chris if you've played a few seasons of ML, not sure if you've come across this but today I decided to check all the managers that currently managing in the Italian league and there's only 3 original mangers the other 15 have changed, which I couldn't believe cos it never came up on my news feed which managers go fired and hired which is a piss poor effort from Konami, reason I decided to check this is cos I used beat Napoli convincingly similar to your man utd experience then when I played them last they played completely different and noticed that tuchel from Dortmund has taken over them and made them play more aggressive high tempo and I struggled and honestly this blew me away, so for anyone that's played 2-3 seasons in ML go check the managers in your league and see if there different from who was there originally. Like to hear others thoughts if they can be bothered.

coaches inherit tactics of the team where are assigned at the start of the ML.. great issue could be free market managers that haven't a team so usually they use a standard tactics from konami db (not fluid)

coaches inherit tactics of the team where are assigned at the start of the ML.. great issue could be free market managers that haven't a team so usually they use a standard tactics from konami db (not fluid)
There not team tactics it's the coaches tactics and when a new coach comes in,has different formation,philosophy. I agree not fluid but each manager still has a offensive defensive tactic and from what I can see there's a huge variety, they used this first in my club and now it's integrated into our ML, pretty impressive stuff, what you can do to verify if your still playing ML take a few photos of teams for example in English league, take a photo of the managers formation/setup from team info for teams such as stoke west ham everton Southampton and then play a few seasons and see if any of those have changed

There not team tactics it's the coaches tactics and when a new coach comes in,has different formation,philosophy. I agree not fluid but each manager still has a offensive defensive tactic and from what I can see there's a huge variety, they used this first in my club and now it's integrated into our ML, pretty impressive stuff, what you can do to verify if your still playing ML take a few photos of teams for example in English league, take a photo of the managers formation/setup from team info for teams such as stoke west ham everton Southampton and then play a few seasons and see if any of those have changed

There are no one tactics relinked to coach, or better, they (for the whole ML) inherit the team tactics where them start to manage . Try to simply move a manager from a team to another (via edit mode) the tactics change following the team. I'm sure of that.
I've also tryed to find useful info over the coach.bin ,but nothing about tactics seem present inside this file, so my doubt is where the game take the free market manager tactics

http://forums.operationsports.com/f...cer/896894-papinho-royces-pes-tactics-26.html

Last edited:
There are no one tactics relinked to coach, or better, they (for the whole ML) inherit the team tactics where them start to manage . Try to simply move a manager from a team to another (via edit mode) the tactics change following the team. I'm sure of that.

http://forums.operationsports.com/f...cer/896894-papinho-royces-pes-tactics-26.html

Wouldn't it be similar to what I'm trying to explain, that manager if he inherited the teams tactics in the beginning of ML, those tactics would transfer to the new team he manages.

Would be good in 18 if they can show more presentation of managers getting sacked/hired, took me 9 months to figure there's a lot going on in the background which I wasn't aware of.
What's really weird is that I've always looked out for this, and in my current Master League save (third season of it I think), I've only seen two managerial changes - one in the Premier League and one in the continent, I think!

I played Liverpool and smashed them, and when I next looked at the manager (beginning of season two) Klopp had gone - I thought to myself "I'd love that to have been a response to me beating them", but I know it wasn't.

But yeah, how weird that you've had so many!

What's really weird is that I've always looked out for this, and in my current Master League save (third season of it I think), I've only seen two managerial changes - one in the Premier League and one in the continent, I think!

I played Liverpool and smashed them, and when I next looked at the manager (beginning of season two) Klopp had gone - I thought to myself "I'd love that to have been a response to me beating them", but I know it wasn't.

But yeah, how weird that you've had so many!
iv noticed around season 3/4 when it kicks into gear with managers moving around, do u go into team info for every team to see if same manager is around.
Also maybe the Italians are more impatient than the English lol.

I'm finding that Manual Shooting has little variation versus Advanced Shooting. What do you guys use? Manual Shooting or Advanced? And why? Thanks!

I'm finding that Manual Shooting has little variation versus Advanced Shooting. What do you guys use? Manual Shooting or Advanced? And why? Thanks!

I still use manual as I find advanced hard to master. Although I hear about the variation in shooting on advanced. How did you manage to master it? I would love to give it a go again.

I still use manual as I find advanced hard to master. Although I hear about the variation in shooting on advanced. How did you manage to master it? I would love to give it a go again.

I needed a few matches to master it, as my mind would feel good after some matches to point the left stick towards the "wrong" side of the net. I was scoring beautiful goals, sometimes I would hit the crossbar but not that much as I have read here. I don't know, I just got comfortable fast with it. As for full Manual, it's very refreshing for me, as it is my first time with it. I almost feel proud with every goal I score with my fake ML team, but I've noticed now the lack of variation within the shooting system. Even though, I still play with full Manual because of the satisfaction of slow build up and then scoring with a low shot.

I needed a few matches to master it, as my mind would feel good after some matches to point the left stick towards the "wrong" side of the net. I was scoring beautiful goals, sometimes I would hit the crossbar but not that much as I have read here. I don't know, I just got comfortable fast with it. As for full Manual, it's very refreshing for me, as it is my first time with it. I almost feel proud with every goal I score with my fake ML team, but I've noticed now the lack of variation within the shooting system. Even though, I still play with full Manual because of the satisfaction of slow build up and then scoring with a low shot.

Thanks, I may try Advanced but don't want to practice it during my ML because I know what will happen. The fact that it has more variation is appealing though.

Back
Top Bottom