PES 2013 Discussion Thread

Re: PES 2013 Discussion Thread .......

I've noticed that there is the catch-up bug in the game.Not as bad as 2011 version but there is.Even with Ronaldo,ı can't really get away from the defender if he is near to me.After a while,he manages to catch me somehow..

Dabbled with a quick few goes on the PC demo last night. Some stuff was positive: first touch, dribbling... it was quite pleasant to move the ball around, particularly through players like Pirlo and Schweinsteiger.

Biggest turn off was the difficulty level. On Superstar I was dominating the ball without breaking a sweat. It was both easy to pass it around endlessly, and also easy to tackle CPU dribblers. I find this takes all the tension out of the game, if you do not fear what the opponent might do.

I also think Audio remains a big weakness of this series, from the menus to in-game. The crowd atmosphere remains quite unresponsive and that contributes to an overall low excitement level, for me.

My very early impression was that, well, I can feel some nice bits and pieces, but I wasn't excited or inspired by it. Maybe I would be more engaged if Konami came back with a worthwhile difficulty level.

What's the proper way to knock the ball ahead when sprinting? I've tried double tapping the sprint button and also hold RT & RB but nothing seems to work consistently.
Wish PES used the right stick knock on like ............. the other game

Try a triple tap of the sprint button. Or if you're doing it with RT and RB, move the left stick diagonally. So don't try to knock on exactly straight on. See if that works champ. It's a bit erratic compared to PES 2011 where it worked the same way every time.

Not bad. But for me personally (against the CPU) I cant beat slow defenders for pace STILL..... This was sposed to be fixed in PES 2012 and wasnt and is still in the PES 2013 Demo!.

Players also when Sprinting dont even look/feel like they are sprinting.... it seems like they are running in treacle or something!

Not bad. But for me personally (against the CPU) I cant beat slow defenders for pace STILL..... This was sposed to be fixed in PES 2012 and wasnt and is still in the PES 2013 Demo!.

Players also when Sprinting dont even look/feel like they are sprinting.... it seems like they are running in treacle or something!

That's something I feel is lacking in the demo - the sense of speed from a bursting run. While I think the pace of the game on 0 setting is pretty good, the quick players perhaps don't feel as quick as they should.

Yeah im with you Jamez. Havent tried any other game speed settings yet tho.

I love the demo, you all say the good sides , but one thing make me mad.. its players switching ... i play with semi-assist ... and CPU switch my player to much and whit wrong player .I really miss PES 6 manual switching ...

That's something I feel is lacking in the demo - the sense of speed from a bursting run. While I think the pace of the game on 0 setting is pretty good, the quick players perhaps don't feel as quick as they should.

That's what ı am talking about.Game speed and rhthym is very good but speedy players are lack of speed advantages especially in the free areas..

I have absolutely no problem beating slow defenders with pace when I have the pace.

How is this done exactly ? I like the sound of this. :)

After you pass it to a team mate with L1 + X, you tap the right analog stick in the direction you want the first passer to run to. Any direction, even backwards if you like.
You can execute some very clever 1-2's now, some like Barcelona style :)

I do want an option that (as for shots) makes manual passing the default system! Without always pushing L2!

By the way, is there a way to have in my joypad (x360) a button always pushed (L2)?

Maybe an emulator or something like that...

I have absolutely no problem beating slow defenders with pace when I have the pace.
What level of difficulty are you playing this on? I play Top Player and struggle even with Ronaldo to beat any slower defenders.... they still catch me up, home in on me and win the ball without too much trouble. :RANT:

Try a triple tap of the sprint button. Or if you're doing it with RT and RB, move the left stick diagonally. So don't try to knock on exactly straight on. See if that works champ. It's a bit erratic compared to PES 2011 where it worked the same way every time.

Cheers buddy, I'll give that a bash.

To the guys mentioning the poor audio, perhaps I'm being overly optimistic but, the atmosphere is so bad that I can only imagine that it hasn't been fully implemented into the demo at this stage

One criticism I simply cannot understand when it comes to this game is when people say there is no movement from your team mates :

1) There is plenty of natural movement.

2) There is the standard 1-2 to generate movement.

3) There is the pass and go that generates movement.

4) There is the Auto team mate controls which generate movement. Folk often have a go at the control in this one, saying ''it's stupid'' when what they are really saying is ''it's not like FIFA''

5) There is the manual version of team mate controls which in itself offers more control in off the ball movement than any other footy game. Again though, if it isn't on L1 it is allegedly ''stupid''.

6) There is attack/defence emphasis which does actually contribute to generating movement.

7) There are now dynamic 1-2's in the game, which are superb... and also happen to generate movement.

That's seven, without factoring in that which you can do in the tactics/formations screen as well.

Just to add to that -- from my experience with the demo so far I've discovered that if I use R1 very sparingly while on offense and focus on combinations of just the L stick and R2 dribble to move my selected player around, my teammates will do a much better job of finding space, making runs and generally offering themselves up for a pass.

Last edited:

It's not that, the sense of speed is fine, it's the way the AI deals with it that ruins the feeling. Play against human and you'll know what I mean.

What level of difficulty are you playing this on? I play Top Player and struggle even with Ronaldo to beat any slower defenders.... they still catch me up, home in on me and win the ball without too much trouble. :RANT:

Superstar difficulty.I use a lot of these knock on things, I gain more space when I have a pacey player like that.
Giovinco also has some deadly acceleration, when timed correctly they're destructive but that's another subject altogether

Managed to play some 7-8 matches and I still haven't made my conclusions on the direction this game is taking.

One thing's for sure though, having played all matches against the CPU, I can say this game is much more balanced than PES 2012 retail version! So far I didn't have any superhuman dribbling past the inside of my defenders flesh. When a huge c*nt like Pepe put his body on the way, the CPU didn't go through as before :)

Agreed, the playermodels are more solid and there is no players ghosting through other players anymore, but the CPU is still cheating in other forms. Played on superstar:

# The attacker would start a one-two with another player in his team, the other player returns the pass and Pirlo (!!) stands between, he sees the ball passed, wants to receive it and he lets the ball slip over his foot to the other attacker it was intended for.

# Corner-situation: I can clear the ball out with a heading, the ball comes outside the goal-area to an opponent who shoots directly on goal. The goalkeeper parries it, there are six of my players in the box, the ball comes to the knees of Pirlo, reflects, then goes to the shin bone of Chiellini, reflects from there and the ball rolls slowly half a meter from Chiellini.

Chiellini joggs towards it, and I think fine, at least some playerawareness and I prepare to shoot it away, but the joy was too early: Suddenly Chiellini hesitates, slows down and then returns backwards giving space to the loose ball. Why? Cause one opponent attacker runs in from the right (the one who made the cornerkick) and wants to shoot the loose ball.

Imagine that, six of my players stand in the box and one opponent attacker is running in. No one of my six players tries to get the ball, and Chiellini even backs off the ball, eventhough he was only less than half a meter away from the ball. Just because an opponent attacker runs in (and wants to shoot the ball) who was at least five meters away from the ball. He shoots directly into the position of Buffon.

Buffon, who is one of the best goalkeepers in the world, he gets his hands up in time and right in the ball's trajectory, but the ball ghosts through his hands into the net.

# Pulling back defenders in the nick of time to allow the opponent striker to have more space for heading or one-on-one-situations with the goalkeeper is back in action.

# Karate-kicks to allow the opponent to reach the ball for a millisecond before my defender's head can clear it, are in full force. Although this happens sometimes in real football and is not cheating per se, but the unusual amounts of it happening is a form of cheating.

# Offside gets sometimes ignored when it helps the CPU to gain a goal-opportunity.

Come on guys, don't ignore me, this is something you should definitely try out. :D

Something I think nobody has mentioned/realised yet:

The dynamic first touch is sometimes performed with the fake shot (:square:+:x: / :circle:+:x: / :x:+:r1:+:r2: / :triangle:+:r1:+:r2:), I think most of the touches we saw in the clips were performed using this method. I got this off the in-game Command List, page 6 (new controls). :)

Besides it makes sense to use the knock on thingies to increase the space between you and the defender.The more a player touches the ball while he runs and the less his speed is

After you pass it to a team mate with L1 + X, you tap the right analog stick in the direction you want the first passer to run to. Any direction, even backwards if you like.
You can execute some very clever 1-2's now, some like Barcelona style :)

Awesome. Thanks for that. :)

Come on guys, don't ignore me, this is something you should definitely try out. :D

Worry not friend you're not ignored.This addition is a killer and it's something I'm yet to master but I can already feel it's gonna be great when timed correctly.Talk about breaking some ankles

I love the demo, you all say the good sides , but one thing make me mad.. its players switching ... i play with semi-assist ... and CPU switch my player to much and whit wrong player .I really miss PES 6 manual switching ...

Agreed, playerswitching is still not fixed. I had again situations when I made a manual pass into the path of my wingman and the game decides that the recipient should be my striker in the middle front and he comes from that position to the right wing to get the ball. Infuriating to say the least.

I would really hope that for online, there was some kind of indicator as to whether your opponent was using assisted settings or unassisted

Even better, dedicated unassisted lobbies but I don't see these happening at all

I'd agree that there's no bursting run sensation (acceleration to beat a man) but i find that attackers on the ball are faster than defenders off it. Both me and the CPU find no trouble staying ahead of defenders when we're a yard or two in front of them, which happens a lot because of the propensity to look for through balls. It seems that people are finding something different though but it was something i noticed in my first game.

Last edited:

Imo, really slow defenders can't keep up, but I do sometimes feel the CPU "boosting" itself to catch me. But I'd say it wouldn't be a problem if the CPU wasn't so conservative when defending. They don't give you real chances to get past them. If they tried to tackle and failed more often we would have space to get away. One on one's are often dull because of that.

Got to agree with the player switching problem, still not completely fixed. Had a nightmare just now where I was dying to select the right player but the cursor would not budge. The other complain I'm still trumpeting id that it's too easy. I take it it's just a demo and that we'll all have to wait and see, but I just beat Portugal 5-2, Superstar, 20 minute game. Possession is still way too high for me for my liking, and the CPU still don't take enough care on the ball and passing. The game still also wants to go forwards forwards all the time. There are improvements don't get me wrong, and there's months to go before release so here's hoping.

Back
Top Bottom