Microsoft Xbox 360

I only posted "Burnout is poo" :shock:

Why do people get so pissy & defensive about games? It's weird.

Anyway, is the Xbox 360 HD DVD player worth buying? Anyone got one?

If you want high def films then get one becuase the player and its dvds will be cheap really really soon when the start chucking out all the deadwood

but saying that once you have the all HD DVD films you want (that are currently out) you cant do anything else with it beucase they wont be making many more

They would do if they used Blu-Ray technology in an add on. Same as movie companies, they got to pay Sony so much everytime they press a BD.

dont think MS would be that bothered. Sony pay MS $$$ for Vista/XP when it comes to selling there laptops.

Guys, what is the point of the Universal Media Remote? The controllers are wireless anyways... :SS

Cheaper option to use as a dvd remote or go thru the blades than turning a controller on, I mean cheaper as in you dont leave a controller on, though I think they turn themselves off after 10 mins and noone has used it. I tend to use it for DLin stuff from Live, use it to turn on the machine, go thru, start DL and turn the machine off and walk away, quick and easy to do.

Guys, what is the point of the Universal Media Remote? The controllers are wireless anyways... :SS

Just an easier set up for playing dvds and stuff. I find it a bit of a pain using the controller to play dvds.

Its also easier for the misses - when I told her how to play dvds on the xbox and how to use the controller to do it - her eyes just glazed over.

I found a cheap one from Virgin for like 4.99 in a sale - and it works perfectly.

There you go Mike, look at Dag's post... get yourself an Elite for £230!

MS wont care about Royalties Mat, shit loads of other companies pay them royalties, Sony even do so that they can use the WMA & WMV Codecs on the PS3!

I bought the Big version of the Remote not long after getting my original 360, its decent enough for when you want to watch DVD's on your machine but otherwise it doesnt get used.

Told you they're usually pretty quick Kev. Hope you get it back soon, I miss our 5v5 matches! :)

On the topic of Micro$oft, they fuck me off no end. I have e-mailed them to WIPE my Mastercard details from their system as I don't want them charging it £40 when my Live subscription ends as I now buy 12 month pre-paid codes from Ebay for £15-20. They e-mailed me back saying "We can't do this unless you phone us." So, I phone them, wait on hold for 4 days and when I am finally awoken by the ONE GUY that they employ (you know, the bloke who sounds very serious about everything and occassionally slips in the odd Latino word without realising) tells me that he will wipe my card details.

Today I check my Xbox 360 and guess what? They STILL have my Mastercard details on file.

WHY CAN'T COMPANIES DO THE SIMPLE THINGS CORRECTLY?!?!

Xbox 360 to get 50 Euro price cut March 14

Possible good news for our European friends this morning, as Tech Radar is reporting that Xbox 360s will be getting an across-the-board 50 Euro price cut on every SKU on March 14. Their information, while not confirmed by Microsoft, reportedly comes from "numerous well-placed games industry sources," and has been corroborated with European retailers.

That would bring the price of a 360 to € 250 ($380) and the Arcade pack to around €197 ($300). As a basis for comparison, the Wii is available for around € 234 ($356) on Amazon's UK site, while the 40GB PS3 comes in at €370 ($563). While not necessarily a great sign for how the 360's faring across the pond, it's at least good news for our European friends who've still yet to see what the whole Halo 3 craze is about.

so i got smash court tennis 3 as play-asia selling it for £16. only played it for about 2 hours. I think it is a good tennis game, training most of the time as I tried to enter tournaments but my low stats saw me getting hammered.

Graphics seem on par with VT3. Havent played online as there is nobody to play.

It has been out since december in Japan/Asia but must not of sold too well.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ca6017de-e...0779fd2ac.html

Quote:
Sony is in talks with console rival Microsoft about offering a Blu-ray drive for the Xbox 360, according to a senior executive.

The Japanese electronics maker has until now touted Blu-ray as an advantage its PlayStation 3 holds over Microsoft’s console. Microsoft has backed Toshiba’s HD-DVD format and offered an HD-DVD drive that can be plugged into the 360.

But after Sony’s victory last month in the high-definition DVD format war, Stan Glasgow, Sony Electronics US president, said the two sides were now talking about Microsoft adopting Blu-ray.

A Blu-ray drive in a 360 would make Microsoft more competitive with the PS3, but it would also mean extra revenues for Sony’s electronics division. It would also add further cost to the 360, meaning a premium edition of the console could be necessary.

A Blu-ray drive could be incorporated in its top-of-the-range Elite Xbox, or Microsoft could again offer a drive as a plug-in peripheral.

Mr Glasgow, speaking at a media dinner, added that discussions were also taking place with Apple, which has not offered Blu-ray drives on any of its computers so far and has focused on digital media via downloads and streaming through devices such as its Apple TV.

The Sony president said he did not believe Blu-ray would be overtaken by high-definition content becoming available over the internet. Bandwidth limitations meant it was still available to only a few, he said, and consumers favoured disks they could own.

“Downloading will build over time, but this will be over a period of years,” he said.

On Blu-ray pricing, Mr Glasgow expects prices of players to drop to as low as $299 by the end of the year. They currently cost $399 and higher. He feels the price of a player could fall to about $200 by the end of 2009.

The prices of Blu-ray players are not expected to fall as precipitously as they did with regular DVD players. The Blu-ray Association, the group controlling the standard, has yet to license it to Chinese manufacturers, who would be expected to drive down prices.

Back
Top Bottom