Microsoft Xbox 360

GamePro examines four recent multi-platform titles (Assassin's Creed, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty4, Devil May Cry 4) to determine which console has the better games--PS3 or Xbox 360. What we discovered challenges the common wisdom that "Xbox 360 is better."

While we can't definitively name one console as having better multi-platform releases across the board, there's a clear winner among these four games: PlayStation 3 beats the Xbox 360 handily. Call of Duty 4 plays nearly the same on both systems, differing only in superior online integration on PlayStation 3. With Devil May Cry 4, the game is all-around better on PlayStation 3 (despite the horrendous installation process). Burnout Paradise emerges as decidedly better on Sony's system thanks to EA Criterion's decision to make it the leading version of the game. The exact opposite is true for Assassin's Creed where Xbox 360 beats out its PlayStation 3 counterpart visually.

Judging by what we've seen with these recent games, you may be better off picking up PlayStation 3 versions of high-profile multi-platform games for the time being. The notion that PlayStation 3 ports are inherently inferior to Xbox 360 simply doesn't hold water these days. Some games do perform worse on Sony's console--Blacksite: Area 51 has been plagued with performance issues, for instance, and The Orange Box suffers from groan-inducing load times and chugging framerates.

These issues are slowly being addressed, though, as many publishers are starting to churn out multi-platform releases with an eye for the PlayStation 3. LucasArts recently announced an initiative to make the PS3 their leading platform for development, joining a growing wave of developers seeking to improve multi-platform games heading to Sony's console. With any luck, this movement will result in better performance for all gamers, Xbox 360 and PS3 alike. For now though, just enjoy fragging terrorists, crashing cars, and slicing demons in half on your PlayStation 3.

What a nonsense article.

I don't care which is better as long as the games I want are good, however saying: "The notion that PlayStation 3 ports are inherently inferior to Xbox 360 simply doesn't hold water these days."

Which means they, the ps3 games, are ports meaning the 360 is lead development. Yet to state this argument they have used 2 games that are originally ps3 (burnout/DMC3) and one which got the extra backing / finance to be equal (COD4). The one that had "equal" development is better on the 360 (AC).

It's likely that future games will be far closer too each other but disregarding the whole back catalog based on 4 games, of which BP is hardly any different across the consoles, makes this a pointless article. Doesnt prove anything, other then gamepro's bullsh%t.

This is amusing: "For now though, just enjoy fragging terrorists, crashing cars, and slicing demons in half on your PlayStation 3."

Jee, great, so for these 3 games you have a "point". Tnx Gamepro for such valuable insight!

Easy way to always have the best of both worlds (if you actually care enough) is to buy BOTH the PS3 & 360. If you don't really give two shits like myself, you'll be happy with what you've got.

GamePro examines four recent multi-platform titles (Assassin's Creed, Burnout Paradise, Call of Duty4, Devil May Cry 4) to determine which console has the better games--PS3 or Xbox 360. What we discovered challenges the common wisdom that "Xbox 360 is better."

While we can't definitively name one console as having better multi-platform releases across the board, there's a clear winner among these four games: PlayStation 3 beats the Xbox 360 handily. Call of Duty 4 plays nearly the same on both systems, differing only in superior online integration on PlayStation 3. With Devil May Cry 4, the game is all-around better on PlayStation 3 (despite the horrendous installation process). Burnout Paradise emerges as decidedly better on Sony's system thanks to EA Criterion's decision to make it the leading version of the game. The exact opposite is true for Assassin's Creed where Xbox 360 beats out its PlayStation 3 counterpart visually.

Judging by what we've seen with these recent games, you may be better off picking up PlayStation 3 versions of high-profile multi-platform games for the time being. The notion that PlayStation 3 ports are inherently inferior to Xbox 360 simply doesn't hold water these days. Some games do perform worse on Sony's console--Blacksite: Area 51 has been plagued with performance issues, for instance, and The Orange Box suffers from groan-inducing load times and chugging framerates.

These issues are slowly being addressed, though, as many publishers are starting to churn out multi-platform releases with an eye for the PlayStation 3. LucasArts recently announced an initiative to make the PS3 their leading platform for development, joining a growing wave of developers seeking to improve multi-platform games heading to Sony's console. With any luck, this movement will result in better performance for all gamers, Xbox 360 and PS3 alike. For now though, just enjoy fragging terrorists, crashing cars, and slicing demons in half on your PlayStation 3.

This article mean leading plateforme are a big hit and portage a bad game, oh and PS3 don't have a good exclusivity ?

:tumble:

Well, Uncharted is. That's a pretty good game. And LBP will be ace I reckon. Other than that, not enough exclusives to warrant having a PS3 over 360 exclusives.

Uncharted reminds me a bit of Gears Of War, it's very addictive. When I played the demo, I forgot I was playing a demo and so I was gutted when it finished - can't remember the last time that happened.

I wasn't, I enjoyed it but it's one of those games I wouldn't pay full-price for. I will definitely get it but it'll have to be in the bargain bin first.

I wasn't, I enjoyed it but it's one of those games I wouldn't pay full-price for. I will definitely get it but it'll have to be in the bargain bin first.

Exactly, I'm not paying anywhere near £40 for it but I'll keep an eye out when it goes cheap. Looks a pretty fun game.

With FIFA I always had an eye on the clock though, that was more frustrating than gutting.

When can we play our game by the way? You're my scariest opponent, I want to see if I'm improving or if I'm just getting lucky. ;)

I'm losing heart with FIFA. Weird game, loved it at first and honestly rated it as one of the best GAMES i'd ever played, let alone footy game.

But now, I play it for 10 mins and frustrates the hell out of me. I'll admit I am not very good at it, so games become a slog-fest of mis-placed passes in midfield - maybe I need to drop a skill level, but then winning feels cheap.

Seriously considering getting rid.

Plus I've just got WE2008 on PSP and no lie, that game is more fun that FIFA 08 on 360. Superb achievment for a handheld (its based more on PES6 than the newer 2008 next-gen version).

Single-player I can't stand mate, cheating is evident from the word go and what's the point in playing a game that so obviously cheats you - at least, that's how I feel after ten years of PES. I realise it has to happen in a game or else you'd win every time, but most games hide it among intelligent play. Tiger Woods is the same funny enough, drives me mental. Play the CPU and they get the same as you every time. Birdie, birdie. Bogey, bogey. Triple bogey, triple bogey. Then on the last hole they beat you by one shot, unless you're the last one to putt in which case you've got a chance (because by that point their score has been recorded).

The online FIFA league is amazing though, no greater feeling than grabbing a 1-0 against someone you actually know to grab yourself a good chance of promotion. And no shittier feeling than losing to a wondergoal in the last minute. Without doubt my favourite game of the last 12 months. Only Burnout Paradise and Rock Band come close, IMO ( haven't received Rock Band yet but I know it's great ;) ).

Last edited:
Single-player I can't stand mate, cheating is evident from the word go and what's the point in playing a game that so obviously cheats you - at least, that's how I feel after ten years of PES. I realise it has to happen in a game or else you'd win every time, but most games hide it among intelligent play. Tiger Woods is the same funny enough, drives me mental. Play the CPU and they get the same as you every time. Birdie, birdie. Bogey, bogey. Triple bogey, triple bogey. Then on the last hole they beat you by one shot, unless you're the last one to putt in which case you've got a chance (because by that point their score has been recorded).

The online FIFA league is amazing though, no greater feeling than grabbing a 1-0 against someone you actually know to grab yourself a good chance of promotion. And no shittier feeling than losing to a wondergoal in the last minute. Without doubt my favourite game of the last 12 months. Only Burnout Paradise and Rock Band come close, IMO ( haven't received Rock Band yet but I know it's great ;) ).

Maybe I should stick to multi-player then?...

Even I ADMIT I was wrong about FIFA 08 multiplayer; it's fucking brilliant. I had a scrappy 0-0 draw against Jack Bauer yesterday, I was Reading & he was Newcastle United but it was still great fun and very realistic. When do you get matches like that in a PES game these days? You don't.

The differences between the latest multiplatform games that Thomas pointed out are so insignificant they aren't worth raising discussion.

I'm VERY surprised COD4 is better online on PSN than Xbox Live though!

Even I ADMIT I was wrong about FIFA 08 multiplayer; it's fucking brilliant. I had a scrappy 0-0 draw against Jack Bauer yesterday, I was Reading & he was Newcastle United but it was still great fun and very realistic. When do you get matches like that in a PES game these days? You don't.
:))

We still need to play each other too mate!

:LOL: Ahahahaha!

Snoop Dogg's favourite game is NBA 2K8 on Xbox360!

Not suprised mate. I remember years ago on MTV they showed him and Wu-Tang in some big ass mansion playing NBA 2K1/2K2 on the Dreamcast catching bare jokes. Them guys loved that machine.. :)

Back
Top Bottom