Heavy Rain - PS3

Just read the '15 reasons why we don't want you to buy Heavy Rain' article on gamesradar. Which is actually titled '15 plot holes in Heavy Rain' but it's clear their objective was to put off potential buyers and trash the game as much as possible.

Some of the plot holes aren't even holes - they're just un answered questions or sequences they don't think would happen in real life, forgetting that real life and a video game aren't the same thing or they're just too stupid to think their way around the supposed 'hole'.

Here's a link
http://www.gamesradar.com/f/heavy-rains-big-plot-holes/a-20100224105436979020

-

What do you all think?

Just finished the first DLC. Heavy Rain Chronicles - Episode 1 - The Taxidermist. You play as Madison Paige. I believe its set before the events of the main game. I wont spoil it for the rest of you, but damn was that good. Its fairly short. Lasts about 30 minutes, but those were 30 panic, tension filled minutes! You feel extremely tense in the scenario you are presented with and really have to think as to what would you do if you were in the same position. Its out on March 4th for regular edition people. I definitely recommend it. There were no trophies however. I cant wait for the other episodes now. Hope they come soon. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dags - YES. Leave well alone till then.

It's bullshit. Not so much that they aren't valid plot holes (though some of them are essentially there to fill out the article), but the tone of the whole thing combined with the review itself. It's amazing how much slack people are willing to cut games, even those like ME2, while at the same time picking at any and all loose threads in HR. Christ, a number of the things he raises as plot holes are actually just things he hasn't understood, rather than genuine script issues.

For those who have read it (AND COMPLETED THE GAME):
I was a bit confused about how Madison knew Shelby. There didn't seem to be a backstory to this. That said, Anne Sheppard did seem to be talking for slightly longer than just saying her other son's full name.

Also I have never heard of it being impossible to open a fridge from the inside. I assume this man's fridge has a Yale lock?

I wonder if, at any point, the guy who wrote this article ever wondered during ME2 why mining involved us wiping the cursor over a planet until the sensors went funny, when surely in this futuristic age of hyper speed and humanistic artificial intelligence they could come up with something that automatically scans a planet and finds the relative mining hotspots? Why can you also search populated planets for resources that the indigenous population would find equally useful, and deplete their planet's stock in the space of two minutes?

Or why this super mysterious high tech human faction called Cerberus can rebuild a human but can't give you the resources you need to upgrade your med bay, instead leaving you to divert time away from this extremely urgent mission to swish your mouse over a planet. Or why you assemble a team of people under the pretences of completing this critical, save-the-universe mission, and they are happy to instead fritter away an absolute age running errands for their other mopey team-mates.

Mercifully the vast majority of review sites and comments from those who have actually played the full game seem to be suitably forgiving of any flaws the game has, focussing instead on what it actually has achieved. I'd say that, if I'm asked what moments in games have for me been:-

- the most tense,
you need me to tell you there's a tense scene in Heavy Rain?!?
- the most terrifying,
the doctor's operating table. Even though surgery did not actually take place for me, I did not enjoy that.
- the most graphic,
I chopped my finger off with an axe and, while still screaming in horror and agony, cauterized the stump of my finger with a hot poker. I could have used a saw. I find that far more gruesome than any fantasy horror God Of War will offer me, because it was believable.
- the most genuinely moving,
the scenes with Shaun are genuinely brilliant.
or
- have asked me to make the toughest decisions,
the only trial I didn't pass was the killing of the drug dealer. I decided Ethan was better than that.

the answer in most cases would be this game by a country mile, and in the other cases I could certainly put forward a strong case for HR.

Last edited:
RE: Rom

To your first spoiler box
how Madison knew Shelby
I thought that with her being a journalist his name must have come up at some point with him being an ex cop in the area. Maybe she'd heard something of him at some point, knew he was working the case as a private eye. That's why she didn't freak out so much as to warn everyone - she just went to investigate his apartment some more

Not sure why she'd 'oh my god!?' at it though - but that can always be explained in DLC or if the old lady did say much more than just a name.

Just finished it, sheer quality of a game. Loved it and it's easily one of my all time favourite games :D

Now to read the spoilers :LOL:

Edit: I got the same ending as Radiation, pretty much did the same things towards the end I think too.

Regarding the identity:

I had a feeling it was Shelby when he went to the typewriter place and the old guy was just dead. Straight away I thought it was just too odd and it didn't seem right. Although a number of times I did think Jayden might've been involved somehow as well for some reason :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm. Looks like Heavy Rain fucked up my PS3. :( The game crashed after I quit the DLC and I had to switch off my PS3 from the back. I turned it on a couple of hours later to play MW2 and now I cant sign into the PSN and no game works either on disc or downloadable titles. I tried deleting the Heavy Rain game data but it looks like its messed up a HDD sector so nothing on my PS3 in terms of games is functioning. Damn. Looks like I will have to buy a new PS3 Slim now.

Hmmm. Looks like Heavy Rain fucked up my PS3. :( The game crashed after I quit the DLC and I had to switch off my PS3 from the back. I turned it on a couple of hours later to play MW2 and now I cant sign into the PSN and no game works either on disc or downloadable titles. I tried deleting the Heavy Rain game data but it looks like its messed up a HDD sector so nothing on my PS3 in terms of games is functioning. Damn. Looks like I will have to buy a new PS3 Slim now.

Could you not try a new HDD? Or am I misunderstanding? You can get a 320GB 2.5" HDD for sod all now. I got mine about a year or so ago for £60.

My clock has been reset to 31/12/1999 and its 23:58! MILLENNIUM BUG IS BACK MUTHAFUKAS!

Wow this seems to be a major bug. Its being reported across loads of forums including the official PlayStation ones. I cant believe you cant play the games offline! What the fuck Sony?! Also the dynamic themes aren't working either. This is quite strange. Its never happened before. Its like they have pressed a killswitch to remotely fuck up everyones PS3 so they cant play games even if they aren't connected to the internet.

And I've completed the game! Awesome, one of the best experiences in gaming. This year it's been one of the best all of my gamer's history thanks to Demon's Souls and Heavy Rain amongst others.

Now to the meat. About Radiation chronicles of his first run in the game:
I had some subtle differences in my playthrough:
Ethan:
- I didn't finish the first test in the highway, mostly due to me misunderstanding some of the movements I had to do (after finishing the game I did it again and managed to go to the end, which was great with the icons "inverted" in the last QTEs).
- I didn't finish the "butterfly" as I got stuck in a corner (controls were shit here, really) and couldn't take the turn I wanted to take in the tunnels. After 1 minute stuck, I was playing with matches and I may have used too many so a cutscene jumps in and Ethan goes away without finishing the test (and I was awarded a COWARD trophy...).
- I collected all the objects in the lizard test. I had the hot rod ready to cuaterize the finger, but... I didn't think to put something in the mouth to bite (I thought the wood was to grossly cut your finger). So, when I choppped the finger, ethan fell to the floor shouting and crying and I had not the chance to use the hot rod.
- I didn't escape the police after this, so I was imprisoned. But I managed to escape from the police office thanks to Norman.
- I didn't kill the shark drug dealer. I also thought Ethan was better than that!
- I had the "sex" scene with Ethan and Madison. I didn't expect it. While I was having the scene I was telling to myself "We're wasting time, Shaun is dying! You'll have time for that later! Then, when Ethan awakes, he says exactly that! Then Ethan finds Madison is a reporter and gets angry, but I decided to forgive her. Anyone did different here?
- I drunk the poison.
- After all this, only 2 test passed out of 5, so Ethan can't find the adress where Shaun is kept. I watched a scene in which Ethan tries to combine the letters but can't find any solution and ends out desperate.

Madison:
- I didn't accept any drink from the doctor, He looked utterly suspicious to me.
- After some chatting, the doctor goes away and I started looking around the house, just to find his bedroom and find the Blue lagoon card with then mae Paco in it. Scared as I was to be found there, I went out without seeing the doctor again. I was awarded a "Smart girl" trophy. After finishing the game I did it again to find the brutal scene in which the doctor tries to kill you. Wow.
- Managed to "ko" Paco with the lamp, also.
- After chatting with Anne Sheppard, I found who the killer was. I went to Shelby's appartment and used the password "Max" (Shelby's favourite origami dogs name) so I found the adress. Escaped the fire by crossing the appartment and exiting by a window in the kitchen. After escaping the fire, I made Madison phone Ethan and tell him the adress.

Norman Jayden:
- I didn't take any tripto during the whole game.
- I killed Nathaniel because I got nervous and rushed to press the first button I saw in the screen. Great way to test people by the game designers here.
- I succeeded on helping Ethan escape from the police interrogation room.
- I managed to find the adress of the hangar, so went there. But Blake is suspectful of Norman, so he follows him with some cop cars to the final stage.
- I love this character. First time I saw the "virtual reality" thing it put me off a little. After playing the game and seeing how cool and fun is to be Norman, it fits the "universe" of the game and adds a quick way to solve complicated things for the game designers.

And 2 great things with Norman:
- When waiting in the police office, I started a "game" with the ArI system that was a homage to "The great escape". I laguhed out lout. Great blink to steve mcqueen's famous scene.
- There's a scene in which he plays the piano in a strange golden bar. A waiter comes and speaks with him. Great homage to "The shinning" waiter scene. I loved this scene. How great it was!

Shelby:
- I tried to protect Lauren as much as I could, and saved her from the drawning car.
- I killed everyone at Kramer's mansion and let him die in agony when I left. As Radiation says, looking back this is a great great scene.
- I was in love with this character so when I found out who he really was, I was shocked. Great game design, in my oppinion. Looking back, I've seen a lot of hints everywhere. How blind we were when we played! It's a bit like the movie "Usual suspects". You've got everything in front of your eyes, yet you can't see it!

Final scenes and ending:
- I got Jayden QTEs wrong so he died in the last scene. What a total let down for me. Agh.
- Ethan saves Shaun and Madison arrives and manages to convince the cops to don't shoot Ethan. They end up in the new appartment starting a new life (ethan has a finger missing, but appart from that, everything seems to be all right).

- Shelby manages to run away.

- The news show Etahn as a hero, talk about Norman Jayden as the key investigator that sadly passed away during the mission, and talk about the origami killer being missing.

- But then a last scene shows Shelby meeting Lauren in another city. Lauren knows he's the killer and kills him, completing the revenge ("A mother revenge" trophy or something like that).

My only hole in the plot right now: why Madison knows Shelby. But this can be explained in a dlc or maybe we find clues in a scene if we play it differently. All the rest is just great and makes all the sense in the world if you try to find unexplained reasons why. I like that the game doesn't explain everything, you just have to make your brain work a little!

How good is this game? I found the article on gamesradar pathetic, shows how idiots journalists can be when they don't get to understand things.

To me, this is not only GOTY, but also one of the most memorable things I've experienced. It's great and everybody should at least try it.

Going to try different things in my next playthrough and do some things you guys did and I didn't.

I was away at the weekend so I'm still on my first play through, I was playing last night but I had to stop because I did something stupid. Can someone who has finished the game answer yes or no please.

I went to see the doctor (Madison) and I think I got her killed with the drill, is she dead?

Also Ethan and the five minute deadline is sad,

I waited until a few seconds to go before I actually went ahead and cut off the finger.

Tobi:

What actually happened? At what point have you turned it off? There might still be a twist ...

She was talking to the doctor trying to get some information, when the camera angle changed I noticed a QTE, I executed it and she took a sip of the drink he had offered her. A few seconds later, its clear that he has drugged her, takes her to the basement and ties her up to a table.

The game then gives me what feels like two chances to escape, the doctor is about to drill into Madison when the doorbell rings. The doctor goes away and I've got a few seconds to try and loosen the rope. This happened twice but the QTE where you have to shake the pad up and down wouldn't register properly for some reason :BRICK:

After the second chance, the doctor then came back and drilled into Madison, never actually saw the motion because the camera changed to a shot of the house. The camera change might signify a twist now that you mention it.

I turned it off after that, could have avoided all of that if I didn't drink the drink.

Ahh...

I paniced more during that scene than any other in the game, I made sure my pad worked right during the rope scene! :LMAO:

I took the drink but I ended up getting out of the ropes and into a big fight, really enjoyed that one as well. But it does sound like she might be dead?

Tobi, some QTE may be tricky.

The ones consisting in shaking the pad up and down must be done with the pad flat, I mean, don't rotate the pad, simply move it up and down.

About the scene you mention, I played it differently by not accepting the drink. I don't know if Madison may still be alive after that because I didn't live that experience (luckily for my Madison), but I strongly recommend you to continue playing or if you can't just accept something and you feel it can put you off the game, then play against from that chapter on again (though you can do excatly that after finishing the game if you want to try new things).

Regarding Madison, for Tobi...

Yeah, you made her die. I did the same thing during my first playthrough, just that I did it on purpose. Couldn't stand the bitch. Drill doctor, drill her good!

Regarding Madison, for Tobi...

Yeah, you made her die. I did the same thing during my first playthrough, just that I did it on purpose. Couldn't stand the bitch. Drill doctor, drill her good!

:SHOCK:

Did you cut more than one of Ethan fingers, also? Confess!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on the game, far from it in fact. I was just bummed that my actions may have led to her death so I stopped playing last night.

I kinda cheated and if it looked like a character was about to die, I'd quit to the main menu and replay the scene :LOL:

But now I've got the trophy for keeping the four characters alive, I'll play it a lot differently and see what happens regardless. I've already decided that I'm going to make all of the characters give quite selfish/angry/evil responses to possible questions and scenarios.

The game launches No.1 in the UK, wasn't expecting that :COOL:

What the hell's wrong with you people? ;)

After having gotten rid of Madison, I got a taste of blood. Jayden? DEAD. Ethan? DEAD at the end. (not my fault though) Lauren? DEAD. Scott Shelby? Only one coming out of the game alive. Yeah I think I broke it. No wonder I'm enjoying playing it a second time!

Wow, I think EvolutionSwede needs locking up or something, clearly a psychopath!!!

;)

Well...(random spoilers all over the place in the following):

Madison's death was absolutely glorious, what a creepy fucking doctor that was. That damn bitch should never get the upper hand in that kind of situation. But I missed like her entire story so looking forward to her staying alive this time around. Even though I can't stand her. My mission last time was to damage all relations and kill the wrong people. I think I succeeded. As Jayden, I even shot that Nathaniel dude in the apartment and got a trophy called "Blunder" for it. And Ethan killed a guy too. I was a brutal maniac! I'm going with the sensitive approach now.

Keep all 4 characters alive trophy...

how the hell do you get it?

I finished the game making sure I kept everyone alive and got nothing... the only thing I can think of it...

the killer died at the end during a fight with Jayden. Could that have counted against me?

-

edit

Just read what I had done wrong. The trophy isn't about keeping them alive. You just have to make sure all 4 characters make it to the end scene. I know exactly where I went wrong as well.

Last edited:
No Rad.

I think Lauren is the fourth character, not Shelby. Did you rescue Lauren from the car in the lake before swimming out with Shelby?

Back
Top Bottom