Heavy Rain - PS3

I think I'm quite far into it...

Paco has just been killed in the Blue Lagoon nightclub.

Made me laugh when Ethan says that nothing matters apart from saving Shaun ... seconds later he's having sex :LMAO:

Utterly brilliant game though, with a story to rival any movie or book I've ever watched/read as well. Some of the decisions I've had to make so far are just horrible and really make you uncomfortable...

Chopping the fingertip and shooting the guy who had kids, felt horrible doing both :(

GOTY already? I seriously think it might be for me.

how safe are some of these spoilers? Only for those who have finished the game or for those who have got past a certain mission?

Mine are up to a certain stage, not sure how close I am to the end of the game but I can't imagine I'm too far.

Actually as I type this, the advert has just been on and I reckon I've seen 80% of the scenes they show on there.

It's definately a game I want to play through again, without doubt. Some of the decisions I've made have had big impacts and I'd love to see what happens when I choose different options.

I've been playing since 9am to about 5pm, so that might give you an indication of how much my spoilers might be about.

I was saying to my girlfriend that some of the decisions I've had to make have been so difficult and it really makes you question yourself and what you'd really do in such situations. The joy of it is knowing we can start a new game so the decision isn't THAT big but when you think what you'd do if you were in such a situation in real life? It's just mind-boggling and a horrible position to be in.

The emotional attachment to characters is brilliant as well, especially Ethan. Fairly early spoiler, maybe an hour or so in ...

The sense of sadness and depression you get from Ethan about not having much of a connection with Shaun was just so sad to me. Where you're at home with him and he's wanting to watch TV, then storms off to his room, I felt really bad :( When you compare that to the start of the game where you're outside playing games with the kids and I had this huge smile on my face :LOL:

What also made me laugh was when I was in the house with Shaun, I wasn't sure how to get him to do his homework. I managed to get the TV turned off but Shaun stormed off. He then tells me later that he got in trouble for not doing his homework :LOL: Is there a way to actually have him do his homework?

I can't give this game enough praise, and considering I'm so far in and STILL heaping praise on it? Up there as one of my all time favourite games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I
didn't kill paco or the father. I also noticed you didnt get the trophy for doing the stuff at the start and you have some I don't have.

YOU didn't kill Paco or you mean he wasn't killed at all?

I've just left the Blue Lagoon club with the FBI guy, am I far from the end?

It's hard deciding wether or not reading spoilers. Maybe we should make precise indications like Radiation did.

By the way, I also panicked and did something I didn't want in that very same moment, Raditaion, so later on I started to think better before acting.

What a joy of game, really, how amazing it is. I have to finish it but as my wife also plays, I have to wait until she's at home willing to finish it.

Little details that are both minor in the plot and awesome:

First Ethan scene
Letting my son win when playing swords in the garden. Ace. Great to play by NOT pressing any button to make Jason win.

Secondth Ethan scene
I managed to make Shaun follow tightly the schedule. A snack, homework, dinner, sleep with the teddy bear. What made it more depressing was that he seemed not to care about my efforts at all. And that's how life is actually. Great great touches. The kind of feelings I was missing n a game.

Shelby scene in a cemetery
When you play hide and seek in the past, you can cheat when counting so you end counting 20 faster. That made me smile!

By the way, John Sheppard isn't the name of the main role in Mass Effect 2? They drowned him, hehehe.

An interesting thing to do would be meeting 3 friends and control 1 character each, so you only take the decisions of your character.

Please, have more games like this one coming.

Really enjoying this so far too - considering I've sort of semi-retired from gaming recently, this has got me playing again.

One this about the decisions - as someone posted above, I didnt even think of
letting the kid win the sword fight
I was too focussed on getting the prompts right!

And I'm done.

Fantastic game. As people have said, it's short, but even without a second play through, the memory of it will linger longer than it will for most of the games I've played this gen.

I think there are too many :/ moments with accents, some clunky dialogue and some shoddy mid-to-bit part acting for it to be described as being on par with real movies, but for a game it's phenomenal, and it certainly shows what the big guns could do if they collaborated with a dev.

The button-Twister mechanism is brilliant for building tension. Utterly brilliant. Some of them are quite tricky as well - there's one of them where I had to press the last button with my nose. Except it wasn't the last button :(

If nothing else, other devs had better take some storytelling lessons from this. Not because it's the absolute best example of a thriller or a drama, but because it at least had the balls to break away from the rut gaming narrative finds itself in.

No more of this Gears of War "I'm sad so I'm gonna shout and punch stuff because crying's for gays and I'm not gay because I have muscles" bollocks. Make sure actors like the one who plays Otacon have no more crying scenes (which was so painful to watch that my body started to reject my eyes), stop making cutscenes that are so bad that most people want to skip them without having already seen them and admit that you are game designers and as such have about as much innate script writing talent as anyone else with a career in IT.

Last edited:
The button-Twister mechanism is brilliant for building tension. Utterly brilliant. Some of them are quite tricky as well - there's one of them where I had to press the last button with my nose. Except it wasn't the last button :(

:LMAO:

Was that...

The power plant with the electricity you had to get past? That kept catching me out, really hard to get all of the buttons and had me really stressed :LOL:

Yup, I dont appreciate how manybuttons I'd be expected to hold down so I was caught offguard. I don't seem to notice first-time that sometimes they throw a button bash in there as well, which led to some grim burn marks when I got back to the motel!

There was a scene where I was holding pretty much every button down, but thinking about it now I might have been able to let go of quite a few of them!

SO MANY DIFFERENT ENDINGS!!!

My 1st ending... [with a brief summery of how I got there and a few choices I made]
SOME HUGE SPOILERS HERE REMEMBER.

This series of events is based on me completing all the trials and keeping the 4 main characters alive to the end. So if you've not finished the game yet doing that and want to see what happens for yourself look away.

ETHAN
I completed all of the tasks making sure to follow all of the instructions fully. That included the tough ones of chopping off the finger, killing the guy with the 2 daughters and drinking the poison on the last test (that room reminded me of A Space Odyssey). I successfully evaded the police on the street, subway and motel scenes.

More from him later....

MADISON
I went to the doctors house, accepted a drink from him - when he asked who told me about his place I 'evaded' the answer and then on the next question I decided that taking a drink might stall him enough to move onto other things. I mentioned the apartment and then passed out due to the drink being spiked. Managed to escape the following surgeon scene with him [that was freaking terrifying] and kill him with his own drill - she finds the note with Paco written on and sets off to the club.

At the club she goes through the motions to get Paco upstairs alone - I end up having to stip down to her underwear while trying to think of a way out of the situation. The lamp comes into play and then she gets what she's after having taped him down to the chair and beating it out of him. As she leaves the club in comes Jayden....

JAYDEN
I kept making Jayden fight his addiction. He survived the junk yard scene fighting the guy off once, then when going to arrest him he started to feel weird and then next thing he wakes up in the car crusher - I escaped that, had a big fight with the guy who then got snagged on the caterpillar tread things and was slowly crushed to death. Nasty.

On the club scene a mysterious figure is in the room with Paco having just untied him from the chair as Jayden makes his way to the same room. Entering the room he finds Paco is dead and then trench coated figure attacks. Jayden survives and questions why the attacker didn't kill him when he had the chance to (as he walked into the room).

SHELBY
I went through the game being as nice to everyone as possible. I saved Lauren on the first attack and left my card for her. In the hold up scene I snuck up behind the guy, grabbed a bottle and knocked him out. It lasted only a minute or two which was funny as after seeing all these videos I was ready for a big talk to him scene.

I allowed Lauren to partner up with me and saved her in the car. I almost didn't and started to kick at the door and then spotted her wrists were tied and quickly stopped what I was doing. On the next scene at the rich guys mansion I killed everyone and then beat the old guy up - he confessed his sons secret and then as I left the room he had a heart attack - I chose to ignore him and walked out leaving him to die. When the killers identity was revealed it was really cool to look back on this and think of the scene as finally seeing the real bad guy, cold hearted, killer in action. At the time I just felt like he was angry and was on a war path.

Leading up to the final scenes...

I may have some or the order of this wring but whatever...

I got the name from John Sheppard's mother in the hospital when playing as Madison. She looked shocked.

At the same time Jayden is in his office and he works out the killer is or was a cop and narrows the suspects down to 1 possible candidate.

There is a flash back scene where the drowning brother says 'don't forget this Scotty' WWHHAAA!!????
And we see Scott Shelby burning the evidence he's collected.

Shelby sends Lauren off at the train station and promises to tell her everything he knows after he's done something. He kisses her and walks away.

Ethan has taken the poison and makes his way to the address on the phone.

Madison enters Shelby's apartment - I find the secret room but I fail to figure out the password on the computer and Shelby comes in - I escaped the burning building by hiding in the fridge.

Ethan gets to the address - He finds where his son is but Shelby appears and confesses all. He tells you that you just have to save your son. As you turn around Shelby pulls his gun on you but before he can fire Jayden runs in and knocks him aside. Shelby runs away and Jayden gives chase as you fight to break the pad lock.

I got the lock off and pulled the boy out just as Jayden and Shelby are fighting on the conveyor belt. CPR time... but it seems to be too late. Jayden and Shelby fight right to the edge of the belt now, Shelby slips and falls over but he grabs on and begs for help. Being a sucker I try to help him and of course it's a trick. He tries to pull me down with him. Jayden fights him off but both men slip and Shelby falls down into the grinder. Jayden grabs onto a steel pole that has luckily become jammed and he pulls himself up and gets to safety. More CPR time and HE'S ALIVE! The timer on the watch counts to 00:00 and Ethan realises he's still alive!

You then have the short wrap up scenes showing Madison, Ethan and Shaun buying an apartment together - Jayden on tv as a hero and is shown throwing away his drugs - Shelby is officially revealed to be the killer and revealed to have died after a massive police operation tracked him down - Lauren comes back and spits on Shelby's grave.

And then you have all the tiny scenes where different things can happen based on choices you made earlier in the game.

Like the homework scene with Shaun. I managed to get him to have a snack, then eat his tea and then do his homework and then go to bed happy. He did ask for 5 more minutes and I let him but then was alright with me when he asked for another and I just turned the TV off.

He said that he lost his teddy so I went and found it - then spotted the letter by the door... when I gave him the teddy he told me that Jason's death wasn't my fault and then went to sleep.

Others have said that in their game they turned the tv off and Shaun just ran up the stairs to his room in a bad mood. Really cool how even the smaller scenes have different outcomes.

Loved it!

Last edited:
Another question..

The Lizard Challenge
The finger one...

What weapons or combination or items did you all choose (if any) ?

I heated up the metal bar on the oven, then picked up the piece of wood and the big knife that was stuck in the wall. I made him bite down on the wood which helped steady him and then i held the button prompts and then swung the pad down to hack the finger off. Then used the metal bar to cauterize the finger.

I did see some scissors, a saw and some whiskey as well but never got around to using those.

oh and speaking of the last item mentioned there...
Killers identity spoilers
We should have seen that clue shouldn't we. The same brand of whiskey as Shelby is swigging in his office through the game.

Last edited:
Rad:

Killer identity
Aaaaaaaah... didn't think of that! I was also thinking today how, if you take certain conversation routes he mentions he's lost someone close before, but never goes into detail.

I want to play this through again with some or all of the characters dying, but I can't really bring myself to let any of them die...

Rad, regarding the lizard:

I didn't even recognise that the point of the hot bar was, I just picked up all of the weapons and set them down. Went for the axe, did the chop, watched him in agony and that was that :(

Just completed it. What a great game! A fantastic experience and one that should not be missed. My play-through was pretty much the same as Rad's. Cant wait for the DLC now. Can you download the Heavy Rain Chronicles 1 DLC pack already if you own the Limited Edition version? I know they recommend waiting to use the code until the 4th so you can get the soundtrack but HMV already emailed me another separate code for it.

Most emotional and dramatic game I've ever played! GOTY for me.

You guys played the DLC "The Taxidermist" with Madison yet? That's some scary stuff!! You can finish it in five different ways, pretty cool.

I didn't know there was DLC available/planned, will definately grab The Taxidermist :)

There's going to be DLC? :WOOT:

'Quantic Dream boss David Cage has revealed more details of the Chronicles DLC coming to Heavy Rain after release.Speaking with gameblog.fr (via Eurogamer), he said one episode allows players to take on the role of the Origami Killer himself. Meanwhile, FBI agent Norman Jayden also gets his own Chronicles episode, which will detail how he got addicted to prescription drug Triptocaine. Cage said that each episode will last over an hour. There are no details yet on Chronicles for Scott Shelby and Ethan Mars, but Madison’s Chronicle has already been detailed: it’s the same level that debuted the game at Games Convention in Leipzig a year-and-a-half ago. While all of the episodes will be available from the PS Store, the first Chronicles episode, which features Madison, will be included with the special edition of Heavy Rain, which is exclusive to HMV in the UK.'

Im going to go download Episode 1 right now. Hopefully it adds some more trophies!

Back
Top Bottom