Heavy Rain - PS3

It still surprises me that they did the difficult part (create emotional bonds with the character, how the story unfolds, ...) and they totally messed up the simplest thing in the game: walking! I wonder why on earth they wanted to make a simple thing that complicated.

And it ruined one scene for me. But you get used to it, as well to other very minor issues. About the res of the controls, it's tricky only the first time in some cases, but there is no learning curve at all. By the way, the game features 3 difficulty levels. I advise you to play on the hardest.

One scene that was ruined for me was the...
escape scene where you have to cross the street.

I was thinking about it all too much and was trying to turn right after the bus and then stay out of the sight of the back alley. The game was trying to force me down the obvious path of left then right then straight forwards. So as it tried to auto turn me I fought back and turned right and after that id have real trouble making them both move their arses and kept getting caught. Every time I tried to twist and turn around something Ethan would bump into it causing them to stop dead.

Grrr

Yeah the walking is pretty weak imo, amazing really that they could f#$k up something which should be so simple. But you get used to it.

Has anyone else had sound issues? The last couple of scenes has had parts of the sound/dialogue stop on me and then start up again. Very annoying, heard they were looking into doing a patch but haven't heard anything else about it.

Junkyard
F#$k F@#k F@#k, Norman got murdered! His damn addiction, had MadJack at gunpoint but he started getting his turns and I couldn't grab the drugtube quick enough. Ended up in another big fight with him and died under the tracks of the JCB (or whatever the cranecar is called).

I'm thinking now that had I not gone cold turkey with him in the hotel it might not have happend.......

I think the problem people have with the walking is that they try and control it manually an awful lot. I do think it's clumsily done at times, I had my own problems once or twice and I think the extremely upright and arm-swingy animation they use for Ethan walking seems suited for walking in large open spaces rather than a cramped kitchen, but it certainly helps to appreciate that you don't need to steer much of the time. Going up winding stairs for example, you don't need to steer at all - once you start going up the staircase you just need to hold R2. With the scene Drek discusses above, you just need to do the same (though i see what you were trying to do with your overthinking).

I've had sound issues as well as the game lock up my PS3 on a few occasions as well, it's a common problem I think.

Yeah Ive had one freeze aswell. Annoying, haven't been able to find an update that something will be released. Read a tip that if the sound goes out you should pause the game and then continue. Don't know if it works but worth a try.

I think the problem people have with the walking is that they try and control it manually an awful lot. I do think it's clumsily done at times, I had my own problems once or twice and I think the extremely upright and arm-swingy animation they use for Ethan walking seems suited for walking in large open spaces rather than a cramped kitchen, but it certainly helps to appreciate that you don't need to steer much of the time. Going up winding stairs for example, you don't need to steer at all - once you start going up the staircase you just need to hold R2. With the scene Drek discusses above, you just need to do the same (though i see what you were trying to do with your overthinking).

I have only played the demo but you could still tell that walking was just meant to be done by holding R2 and just use the stick to turn him/her when needs be

Finally played it through a second time, trying not to end the lives of the characters. And if I thought it was awesome the first time, it blew me away this time. So many scenes I didn't get to experience first time around due to....everyone dying.

Played this yesterday and time flew while i was on it

Got to be one of the best games i have played, granted there isn't really a lot to do with the pad compared to others game where your constantly running around shooting and what not but no other game gets you this emotionally attached to it and none are as compelling.

Played this yesterday and time flew while i was on it

Got to be one of the best games i have played, granted there isn't really a lot to do with the pad compared to others game where your constantly running around shooting and what not but no other game gets you this emotionally attached to it and none are as compelling.

I completely agree.

I'd love for them to make a series out of this. Not actual make a sequel to Heavy Rain but just make a series of games based on the same engine but a different story. I read an interview where he said they could do anything they want with the engine as it's all QTE based controls and scripted animations.

Maybe something like a war game where you start with a couple of buddies and they can die if you screw up QTE's and eventually you get to the end and depending on how you did or how many survive the game ends differently.

I think it would work better to use this platform for Movies instead, You know how every film comes out with a shit game, well instead just let the gamer "decide" what happens and what choices he makes.

Just finished the game, just great, a unique gaming experience. There were points were my heart was pounding and one particular decision where I just paced around and around trying to decide what to do.

I didn't guess the Killer was until the reveal, that one took me off guard.

Well done to the developers, they exceeded all of my expectations.

I didn't guess the Killer was until the reveal, that one took me off guard.

Neither did I, but...
I was replaying the game yesterday evening, to get the 'perfect crime' trophy, when one of my mates arrived. I was on the chapter where you control Scott Shelby as a child and, when it cut back to Scott & Lauren in the graveyard, my mate (female) piped up, 'that kid looks exactly like him, same nose and everything.' Must be a woman thing to notice something like that, or I'm just unobservant.

@ SXFuzz,

It wasn't till after the reveal that I saw some small similarities

Well finished it yesterday. Great experience, woulnd't clasify it as a "game" but still very good. There were some odd moments when something happend in the following scene that didn't correspond with what I did/didn't do earlier and sometimes I though the voice acting/timing with animation should have been better (After all thats what the whole "game" is about) but otherwise a great experience.

Definitly a system that can have loads of stories/episodes added to it.

I cannot download the Taxidermist or the Heavy Rain theme when I access the PSN Store via the Extras menu within the game.

I don't have the special edition version, so when exactly will these be available?

Can't find this in shops anywhere.

I just went to Game to trade Unchartered 2 and MW2 but they've not had any stock since the first delivery - I wonder if it's being frozen until the various glitches are sorted?

EDIT - I realise I might be able to get it online but I do want to trade my older games in.

All shops here are sold out as well

Luckily we asked the guy behind the counter and he said he had 1 left that nobody knew about

I thought that Tik(x4), but the bloke in Game said as soon as trade-in's are arriving, they're being sold again.

I watched a mate go though a bit of the game and i started it myself last night and did quite a few things he didn't do already and i'm only in the house still

This game is gonna be a bastard for me because i'm the kind of player that wants to investigate everything and miss nothing and that isn't possible without going through it multiple times as i found out by going outside instead or working and also talking to his wife which my mate didn't do when i watched

I was watching chapters of this as if I was watching a film earlier, using a walk-through video guide on YouTube earlier. I wasn't even playing it and it still hit me hard.

Has anyone noticed how bad the graphics are if you set the PS3 to 1080p on this game?

I noticed after i played it at a mates on 720p and it looked stunning and i lost count of how many times i said how good it looked but last night when i played on mine at 1080p all the edges were jagged and it didn't look good at all

I knew straight away mine looked poor in comparison and i knew my Projector wasn't at fault because Blurays look stunning so went though all the PS3 options to see if i could sort it and nothing worked until i remembered i saw 720p on the Heavy Rain box when i got it. Once i switched to that it looked brilliant so it must have been upscaling to 1080p which made it look shite

I bet alot of people have it on 1080p and aren't getting the full potential out of the game

Back
Top Bottom