FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

Am struggling so much with defending in this game on online matches. Any tips? It's too hard.

Can't tackle half the time when a speed merchant breaks into my defence and of its not that. Then my defenders make stupid mistakes themselves by either tripping over or being out of position.

Shooting is difficult to. Either that or the gk are super human

I find using jockey and keeping back from the attacker whilst using the 2nd man press button to close down the attacker. Wait for the player to pass to a man in space and quickly use your own man to sprint in before the opposing player has total control over the ball and use the standing tackle button to disposess him. Works most of the time for me

I find using jockey and keeping back from the attacker whilst using the 2nd man press button to close down the attacker. Wait for the player to pass to a man in space and quickly use your own man to sprint in before the opposing player has total control over the ball and use the standing tackle button to disposess him. Works most of the time for me

Yeah, I think this is the best strategy.

The problem though for me comes when this isn't applicable and 1-on-1 defending is necessary, like say in your penalty box, or especially the quick counter-attacks in which the ball is played straight to a forward, which occurs regularly online.

It's the defending against the long-ball counterattacks that I struggle to cope with.

Finding this method the best way to defend as well.

Dont even bother trying to slide. They should make a dummy slide button so you can make the ai think you going to slide and they make that perfect ball shift then boom hit him with the real deal.

Yeah, I think this is the best strategy.

The problem though for me comes when this isn't applicable and 1-on-1 defending is necessary, like say in your penalty box, or especially the quick counter-attacks in which the ball is played straight to a forward, which occurs regularly online.

It's the defending against the long-ball counterattacks that I struggle to cope with.

Re counter attacks, always take control of your last defender and drop him further back behind the defensive line. Allow your team mates to catch up with play and ALWAYS keep your defender directly between the ball and your goal on both counter attacks and attacks in or around the box

Re counter attacks, always take control of your last defender and drop him further back behind the defensive line. Allow your team mates to catch up with play and ALWAYS keep your defender directly between the ball and your goal on both counter attacks and attacks in or around the box

No I get that. What I meant by when 1-on-1 defending is necessary are those situations when you can't select another defender because you've only got one between the opponent and the goal. Those suck, and they happen a little too frequently.

Overall though I can't believe how much more I'm enjoying online than single-player this year. That's a first for me, ever. I might actually have a go at FUT this year.

I'm the exact opposite - I'm enjoying offline with sliders much much more than the ridiculous arcade fest online.

Defending is a joke in this game for me SO FAR. PACE PACE PACE...YET the opp can defend, no way all the 10yrs old kids mastered defending and attacking in this game already.

Contain+Jockey+set the defence way back doesnt work at all, since CPU doesnt defend against the likes of Ronaldo and Reus, Bale etc. it just lets them run into the goal. with low teams seems okay since attackers also shite against the generally shit defence

Just got forest promoted via the playoffs on world class up and down season, teams feel different game to game and knocked out comfortably by man unt in quarter final of FA cup.
loved the cup presentation after the final at wembley great game really enjoying it :)

Um, did they just patch the PC version? Been playing a CM, midtable, most matches are a slog fest. Using Matt's sliders (which I highly recommend). Only ever scored 3 goals once.

Booted it up this evening against Villa in the rain, won 8-0. They didn't get a sniff. No problems defending, most CPU 'cheats' were gone. I saw several things 'new' to me too:

- Di Maria did his heart celebration
- In the 62nd minute there was a cut scene previewing the next match on EA Sports LIVE, with the logos of the two teams
- There's a cut scene at a low angle from the touch line of a player walking over to take a throw in
- I scored a beautiful, cushioned inside-of the boot finish from a 'triple tap' cut back. To date, none of my strikers had ever reacted to those types of crosses fast enough

I guess it could be the rain, but it felt like a whole different game to me. I had to go double check the difficulty hadn't been changed.

No I get that. What I meant by when 1-on-1 defending is necessary are those situations when you can't select another defender because you've only got one between the opponent and the goal. Those suck, and they happen a little too frequently.

That's the situation where I just use my last defender to keep between the ball and goal until my other defenders get back or for the opposing player to knock the ball on too far and I dive in with a standing tackle. I find that works 9 times out of 10.

Personally, I don't get all the complaints about defending. I just played 4 online games last night, all against Real Madrid. Scores were 0-1, 0-0, 1-0 & 2-1. Sure it's a bit difficult and you've got to really concentrate against players like Messi, Robben, Hazard etc but surely that's not a bad thing. We all used to complain that all we had to do was hold X and home in on attackers to tackle them automatically. I find the way it is now is much more rewarding.

The only issue I'm having is defending high throughballs where I can't get control of my centre back quick enough to drop him back behind the defensive line.

Two things that have never happened for me before:

1..Ron Vlaar decided he wanted to leave the club. I was going to try and persuade him not to with a new contract but decided that If I did have to sell him I wanted at least £10 million for him. Well before I could do anything, the board sold him for a measly £4.7 million with zero input from me. Has this been in past Fifa's? I was fuming lol.

2..I was playing Liverpool in my career and the CPU had 2 players sent off with them committing 6 fouls to my 2. Pretty cool!.

I tried this last night and I seem to have improved my defending a bit.

Takes a bit of getting use to

That's the situation where I just use my last defender to keep between the ball and goal until my other defenders get back or for the opposing player to knock the ball on too far and I dive in with a standing tackle. I find that works 9 times out of 10.

Personally, I don't get all the complaints about defending. I just played 4 online games last night, all against Real Madrid. Scores were 0-1, 0-0, 1-0 & 2-1. Sure it's a bit difficult and you've got to really concentrate against players like Messi, Robben, Hazard etc but surely that's not a bad thing. We all used to complain that all we had to do was hold X and home in on attackers to tackle them automatically. I find the way it is now is much more rewarding.

The only issue I'm having is defending high throughballs where I can't get control of my centre back quick enough to drop him back behind the defensive line.

Good post again and fully agree.
Try flicking the right stick early to select your CB in time.
The way you've described defending above is the obvious way to do it. Also couldn't agree more about getting rid of the just pressing x for defending. The game hasn't been out long, surely people who are struggling with defending just need to practice it? Learn how to deal with it. But like you described above, it's the obvious way to do it. Defend space and passing lanes then time your tackles. Talking about online again here incase people get confused.
I've played Madrid plenty of times (I can't complain about playing them if I've gone a high star team too as some do) and when Bale or Ronaldo cut inside and run at the goal on an angle, I just drop back and don't home in on them. I still don't have an issue with defending and also prefer I have to have more input and try and out fox my opponents. If it's not perfect, so what? It probably never will be and I'll just keep enjoying the game for what it is and also get turned inside out at times too if I'm not on my game and I have no problem with that whatsoever as that is normal as far as I'm concerned.

just played the most pathetic ridiculous cheating game of football on a video game in my whole life..

mkbwuc.jpg

playing legendary default sliders had an ok start to the season

win 1-0 vs southampton
lose 3-2 vs spurs
win 2-1 vs man city
draw 1-1 vs aston villa

draw millwall in the league cup so I rested a few players but put out a decent side.so im cruising at 3-1 HT second half millwall seemingly go home and are replaced by the 1970 brazil side with woolford their midfielder turning into pele..

they score 2 goals that are enough to make you puke including one where even alan smith says on the replay "its like a video game the way that ball span into his path for him to put it away" meanwhile I hit the bar the post and sturridge even decides while running down the wing to not cross the ball into the area but to long ball it back to the defence where ricardo fuller picks it up runs 40 yards to make it 3-3

so extra time i bring on 3 subs as my players are dead while millwall are running like its the first minute they go 5-3 up after playing around 20 passes for the fifth I manage through sheer anger and frustration to pull it back to 5-5 in ET stoppages through lambert rifling it from the edge of the area with an amazing goal

so the AI decides on the pens that if I guess the right way my keeper will save it only for it to fall and land in the net, its all too much for sterling who shots right on the green with little stick input and power yet blazes it over to send brazil aka millwall through and me out

EA are trolling us thats all i can think of how totally insane I like this game but things like this are making me want to put it down and not bother.sorry for the long post doubt anyone will read just needed to vent

The "Protect the Ball" feature using LT is pretty hilarious. If you're running with a strong player and someone goes shoulder-to-shoulder, then by giving LT a few quick taps you can basically throw the opponent to the ground and continue your run, and it's not a foul. I'll have to capture a vid next time it happens...

ok this is more like it I come out of career mode and edited west hams team sheet to long ball lots of crosses played them in a friendly and they are pummeling my back four with long balls and crosses also they are doing slower passes on the ground with longer distance instead of the tika-taka they just did in career mode hopefully this extends to career and i will edit alot of teams tactics

People used to complain about previous editions... for some, game wash to hard but for the majority game was to easy after a while. Now the´ve done the right stuff, there´s a dificulty for anyone but people still complain.

Pro is a good level to start until it gets too easy, then World Class is the way to go. Legendary is just a cheat mode and only masoquists should play it. Its still a choice though, and although I think Legendary is a big challenge, I see the CPU making the impossible to win matches. World Class is sutpid enough already, but generaly it makes a balanced challenge and if we play good, we have a chance to win the match.

Yeah, I kinda get the idea of keeping your defender between the opponent and goal. I do understand basic defending. The point is there are instances in which you cannot mimic real life defending and use logical defensive tactics because of certain exploits and a couple key imbalances.

Some of this, like you said, is just getting used to the game. Overall, it's not that hard and the only real challenge is 1-on-1 situations, and I moved up three divisions in online seasons yesterday with relative ease, but in those games yesterday I saw on average at least two more goals per game than you cited, with me averaging probably 2.5 per game.

But playing online you see certain tactics, over and over again. One is the immediate long pass to your forward. This will often catch your backline out, or your defender will be offscreen so you can't get him into proper position, allowing for the forward to sprint toward goal. Or play a 1-2 with another forward, then sprint on goal. Often in these cases you can't maneuver your defender in between the ball and goal - all you can do is hold sprint and hope to keep up, which is often a fruitless endeavor. Too often it comes down to just raw speed, minimizing the importance and effectiveness of proper backline positioning.

Another tactic is to manipulate the wings so that you get the ball in space to an uncovered winger who then can easily sprint around your defense. This I see is really popular with those who play with teams that have three forwards.

There's also a slight clumsiness to defenders. They aren't quite as "clutch" as they should be in certain situations, often losing out in physical battles unexpectedly or missing 50-50 balls clumsily. There's just that feeling that they're a bit underpowered than attackers.

I agree that a lot of the complaints about defending, both offline and online, are just about getting used to the defensive system. But you guys who are defending the defensive system by comparing it to the old one are just creating a straw-man argument: I don't think anyone is arguing a return to the old system.

The current system is great in that it takes some skill to gain possession back, and it's more realistic in rewarding cautious defending, but nonetheless there are some exploits and cheap tactics that are too effective and easy to pull off. Defending isn't impossible in this game and you can learn to minimize the effectiveness of these exploits (though unfortunately in single-player the CPU is kinda daft and obviously unaware of its own exploits), but the problems are there and they make online a bit of a bore when you come across 2/3 people just trying to go for the easy win rather than play a match of football. Which is a shame because when you get two people playing this game without trying to exploit its flaws, it's a hell of a blast.

Last edited:
You will always get absolute prats playing the game. They are avoidable by playing manual games. Well you will probably get the odd idiot but most of those games are very good. I played one assisted game the other day and it was 5-4. Absolute joke of a game and I hate it with a passion. Thankfully I avoid games like that the majority of the time.

Back
Top Bottom