FIFA 15 News & Discussion Thread

I've noticed in the settings that you can tell your defenders or midfielders to drop back but when you check a different settings it tells them to get in the box on crosses or join attack so its worth checking all the settings.

Ok so after talking about legacy vs tactical I gave it a go again today. Just played two games, one with lower teams and another with top Portugal teams, SL Benfica vs FC Porto.

While defending I just pressed X all the time and used the stick to position my defender between ball carrier and possible passing lanes, then when I had someone else close enough, I also used LT (maybe diferent for you guys, depending on controller settings) to try and tackle.

Now that result was absolutely amazing guys! No joking or placebo. Let me tell you that against FC Porto, I never ever had a situation of tiki taka in my box through the entire match! When I played balanced, I literaly had FC Porto in his own half, they couldn´t even get near my box most of the time. They also made mistakes I´ve never seen before in the game, like falling when trying to pull a trick or leaving the ball run out of the pitch etc. I´m not great at attack so I couldn´t get enough chances to score but I had the match totally dominated. Second half I tried to push a litle more and used a attack mentality. After 75 mins FC porto caught me on counter, with a beatifull high through ball to Quaresma, who was forgotten completely alone. I couldn´t catch him, 0-1.

Match ended with a loss, with stas like:

passing: SLB 76% FCP (cpu) 77%
possession: SLB 51% FCP 49%

Playing with lower teams the result was pretty much the same, but just enjoyed this one more because until now, FC Porto or any other better team would always, always end up the match with almost 90% pass acuracy, not to mention the times they play tiki taka in my box.

This with sliders all on default.

Do the individual instructions (i.e telling DM's to stay back when the team attacks) work in UT and CM modes, as they don't seem to work during exhibition games

I find the individual instructions for attack (e.g. cut inside, get behind defense) work a treat but the defensive one I try to use frequently (stay back in attack) does not.

I use the 'stay back' instruction regularly with my primary defensive CDM but still find him bombing into the attacking third, leaving wide open space in the middle for a counter-attack. This specific problem has been in FIFA for 2-3 years now, at least, another example of the defensive AI being poor/broken. Really thought they would've fixed this by now.

Has anyone tried the defensive instructions for man marking or cut out passing lanes? I haven't tried these but I"m curious if/what they do.

Ok so after talking about legacy vs tactical I gave it a go again today. Just played two games, one with lower teams and another with top Portugal teams, SL Benfica vs FC Porto.

While defending I just pressed X all the time and used the stick to position my defender between ball carrier and possible passing lanes, then when I had someone else close enough, I also used LT (maybe diferent for you guys, depending on controller settings) to try and tackle.

Now that result was absolutely amazing guys! No joking or placebo. Let me tell you that against FC Porto, I never ever had a situation of tiki taka in my box through the entire match! When I played balanced, I literaly had FC Porto in his own half, they couldn´t even get near my box most of the time. They also made mistakes I´ve never seen before in the game, like falling when trying to pull a trick or leaving the ball run out of the pitch etc. I´m not great at attack so I couldn´t get enough chances to score but I had the match totally dominated. Second half I tried to push a litle more and used a attack mentality. After 75 mins FC porto caught me on counter, with a beatifull high through ball to Quaresma, who was forgotten completely alone. I couldn´t catch him, 0-1.

Match ended with a loss, with stas like:

passing: SLB 76% FCP (cpu) 77%
possession: SLB 51% FCP 49%

Playing with lower teams the result was pretty much the same, but just enjoyed this one more because until now, FC Porto or any other better team would always, always end up the match with almost 90% pass acuracy, not to mention the times they play tiki taka in my box.

This with sliders all on default.

Yes, legacy is the only way to stop the cheating superhuman CPU reflexes, dribles and passes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipswich69 View Post
There's an addictive quality about this years FIFA that I haven't experienced before with the series. Can't put my finger on what it is though.Very much an addictive quality as far as I'm concerned. I look forward to getting a few games in whenever I can. There's a variety in the gameplay that I haven't seen from a FIFA before now. Lots of different types of goals and build up play from both me and the CPU. The ball physics and the way the players interact with the ball gives an 'anything is possible' feel to the gameplay. Keeps every match fresh and interesting. I even quite like the defending (then again I'm a legacy noob). It punishes sloppiness.

At this stage post-release I usually feel as though FIFA has shown me its hand already whereas this year I'm continuing to see new things. It kind of feels like the game has some of the hallmarks of a classic PES....the 'one more game' factor.

This is interesting. It's exactly what I thought about this year's Fifa.

Yes, legacy is the only way to stop the cheating superhuman CPU reflexes, dribles and passes.

Yeah, I'm liking it a lot more.

What's truly weird is the number of organic interceptions your teammates make on Legacy, even when you're not touching a pressure button.

EA really f*cked up that aspect of tactical defending imo - why shouldn't your teammate reach out and intercept a pass that's a foot from him, even if you're not in control? What is 'legacy' about that?!

Just realised last night that you have the option for a mutual quit during online games. Has that always been in?

Ugh, just had confirmation that the 'narrative cheat' as I like to call it is still in CM - when you have matches the CPU decides you're just not going to win. Played against Stoke and it was like my players were drunk. First touches were bouncing away, missed an open goal and conceded from their 1 shot - an unstoppable full volley from some player called Berg. Not even sure who that is.

But really hurt was whatever the 'narrative' change was to my players speed. I was slower all over the pitch. I had Bardsley outsprint Di Maria, and at one point Shawcross absolutely piss all over Falcao in a sprint for a long ball. It was like the sprint button was not working actually, like the game had already decided who was going to win the free ball, and my speed was set accordingly. Looked incredibly odd.

Ugh, just had confirmation that the 'narrative cheat' as I like to call it is still in CM - when you have matches the CPU decides you're just not going to win. Played against Stoke and it was like my players were drunk. First touches were bouncing away, missed an open goal and conceded from their 1 shot - an unstoppable full volley from some player called Berg. Not even sure who that is.

But really hurt was whatever the 'narrative' change was to my players speed. I was slower all over the pitch. I had Bardsley outsprint Di Maria, and at one point Shawcross absolutely piss all over Falcao in a sprint for a long ball. It was like the sprint button was not working actually, like the game had already decided who was going to win the free ball, and my speed was set accordingly. Looked incredibly odd.

I hate this shit, both in FIFA and PES, but I'm not too precious about it to not go into the sliders and level things out for those matches when the cpu has predetermined you're going down. Essentially, all the cpu does is invisibly alter the sliders anyway, reduces your acceleration and pass speed, etc without actually displaying it on the sliders screen. At least FIFA has sliders so you can fix the cpu cheats.

Just started a new CM and chose the option to disable the first transfer window and searched for free transfers and you can sign them when the window is closed, finally!

just a heads up but custom tactics are broke and not working right as far as im aware.

change any CPU teams tactics passing say arsenal for example to 100 long and when you play them they will still do just short passes, hope EA is made aware

https://gfycat.com/ForcefulMistyJerboa

Someone posted this in reddit. A great example of the pace abuse going on online. Get the ball to fast player, sprint around defense, easy chance on goal.

ForcefulMistyJerboa.gif

The thing I simply cannot get past is: what happens when you move your defender with the left stick. This horrible automatic switching between stances/animations.

I'm moving a defender around just with the left stick, no modifiers, yet he will move at different speeds, in different stances/animations, based (it would seem) on his distance and angle from the ball.

Surely if I want to face-up the opponent, I would hold the jockey button. I would make that choice. Don't make the player crab around like that, when a moment ago I was happily jogging along, and I have not altered my input at all.

I just find the inconsistency of it hugely disruptive. Always fighting against my players because they'll decide whether they feel like jogging, sidestepping or backwards-shuffling in each situation.

The worst example is when an opponent is driving down the wing on the outside of my fullback. I select the fullback and angle the left stick to intercept... and he just crabs along in a really slow sidestep. That's not what I want him to do.

So I ask: Why? Why isn't left-stick movement always just a normal forward jog? Consistent speed, same stance - like it always was. What is the need to constantly blend between a normal jog, a sidestep, and a slow shuffle? Why take all this control away from me?

And I can't help but wonder why nobody else finds this as fundamentally unpleasant as I do.

Got to admit, sliders can eradicate a lot of issues (but nowhere near all, still hate what they've done to defending as Nerf says).

Does anyone else find that from kick off, the opposition lets you run at them and score though (even on Legendary)? The LM & RM stand on the half way line and run up the pitch while you run straight past them and towards a back four that get out of your way (particularly the wing backs who watch you blaze past).

This is with a 60-rated player for a League 2 team against League 2 opposition...

I switched to legacy pretty early on, and I think it's the way to go. You need the ability to press straight at a defender, even if you don't actually close down and tackle the ball.

That's how players defend in real life. They run straight at attacking players at midfield, pressuring them to pass or change direction. You can fake it with tactical defending by just aiming at the dribbler and hoping for the best, but it's unrealistically risky.

Plus, "jockey press" is basically the same as "contain," but with the ability to close down more realistically.

And I can't help but wonder why nobody else finds this as fundamentally unpleasant as I do.

Probably because the movement of players is so much better now than it used to be, with all the crazy sliding, leaping, unrealistic shit that used to go on.

Clearly they've not quite got the balance right between dribbling and off the ball, defensive movement.

Honestly, relative to where the movement physics in this franchise used to be - when lack of momentum etc were arguably the game's biggest flaw - I like the direction they're taking things, it's just a bit out of whack.

Probably because the movement of players is so much better now than it used to be, with all the crazy sliding, leaping, unrealistic shit that used to go on.

Clearly they've not quite got the balance right between dribbling and off the ball, defensive movement.

Honestly, relative to where the movement physics in this franchise used to be - when lack of momentum etc were arguably the game's biggest flaw - I like the direction they're taking things, it's just a bit out of whack.
But it's not about whether the players are slidey or weighty or not. It's the awful inconsistency in the controls.

I angle the left stick and the player decides whether he jogs forward in that direction, sidesteps in that direction, or shuffles backward in that direction... the animations stamping over and distorting my interaction.

There's something illogical about giving me a 'jockey' button and then just enforcing a jockeying state when the game feels like it anyway.

IMO that's not 'a bit out of whack', it's more like a lesson in how to give your video game a shit control system.

The worst example is when an opponent is driving down the wing on the outside of my fullback. I select the fullback and angle the left stick to intercept... and he just crabs along in a really slow sidestep. That's not what I want him to do.

So I ask: Why? Why isn't left-stick movement always just a normal forward jog? Consistent speed, same stance - like it always was. What is the need to constantly blend between a normal jog, a sidestep, and a slow shuffle? Why take all this control away from me?

Yeah, I became acutely aware of precisely this during a session yesterday. Regularly I was holding down sprint as I tried to chased an attacking winger and noticed my guy was sprinting, then crabbing, shuffling, sprinting again, all whilst I'm holding down sprint.

Just one of the many unpleasant in the gameplay this year. The more I play and the more I observe what is actually going on, the more it feels like a mess of a game.

just a heads up but custom tactics are broke and not working right as far as im aware.

change any CPU teams tactics passing say arsenal for example to 100 long and when you play them they will still do just short passes, hope EA is made aware

Totally agree with saintric. I was trying all sorts of maxed-out extreme settings in the tactics to get a cpu team to play long but I couldn't detect any discernible difference in how they played, whether the settings were 100 or 1.

Hopefully someone will find some settings, whether it be through formations, tactical settings, sliders, whatever, to create some genuine variety in the play of different cpu teams. Would love to see a video of a cpu team playing a long ball game. Really can't be bothered starting a career just to play essentially the same opponent 40+ times per season.

Nah Xbox One. Found a match, was worth waiting for - won 1-0 and won Division 10 title! Also the goal decision system was used for the first time I've seen!

Video in the videos thread!

Last edited:
But it's not about whether the players are slidey or weighty or not. It's the awful inconsistency in the controls.

I angle the left stick and the player decides whether he jogs forward in that direction, sidesteps in that direction, or shuffles backward in that direction... the animations stamping over and distorting my interaction.

There's something illogical about giving me a 'jockey' button and then just enforcing a jockeying state when the game feels like it anyway.

IMO that's not 'a bit out of whack', it's more like a lesson in how to give your video game a shit control system.

I was trying to be kind. The whole defensive side of the game is shit.

Player movement relative to dribbling ability, tactical discipline, teammate awareness, defensive positioning, run marking, tackling animations relative to dribbling animations... it's all pretty shit.

And I know people say how much more they like tactical defending than the prior system, and I much prefer the concept, but the implementation of the defensive side of the game leaves a lot to be desired.

Played online and noticed my defense to this stupid step in the wrong direction allowing the opposition striker a fair distance to get away.

At first I thought it was me with my direction but it does it consistently. Really don't understand why EA would do this.

Ok so here´s the thing. I love legacy defending and tactical for diferent reasons. But at the same time, they seem to lack something, or maybe I don´t play as I should.
With tactical defending, I´m able to contain in a very effective way, but If I wan´t to get closer to the ball carrier, and try to tackle, I have to do it manually? I can´t ever do it so I always have to call a second player to do it for myself.
In the other hand, legacy mode allows me to press the ball carrier imediatly but if I just want to contain in a distance, while waiting for support, I just can´t... Or is there a way I don´t know?

What do you guys do? It would be wonderfull to have both options but I just can´t get to it!

Here's an example. It's a super easy chance created by a poor player online.

Long pass to forward in acres of space. Poor defensive mechanics don't allow me to properly close down attacker. Lofted through ball to player in wide open space because I get screwed by player switching.

I'm seeing this shit constantly. Every game. No skill involved. So many easy, easy chances, created by three or less passes, typically started by a long clearance or pass to forward in acres of space.

YouTube - FIFA 15 easy chance by poor player

Back
Top Bottom