FIFA 13

Problem is that reducing speed/accel sliders then makes player movement disproportionate to the speed of the ball, meaning you can easily pass your way around the CPU. Then you start delving into reducing passing, increasing marking etc and the tweaking around never ends. That's what happened with me and FIFA 12. I just want a good football game out of the box.

Agreed. What's needed is the global speed settings in the game to have some much slower settings, so everything slows down proportionally.

It would help if EA introduced some proper player physics too, and then applied it equally to both human and cpu players. :LMAO: of course, I'm joking, I know this will never happen.

Tactical defending has got major flaw. Separating contain/tackle button on different buttons was worst idea ever.

I would like new PES defending. Hold X to lock onto player with ball, double tap to tackle.

Doesn't mean it would be easier (you can mistime lots of tackles btw).

I picked up fifa 13 on PC yesterday but i seem to be having micro- stuttering problems. Anybody know what this could be or a way to fix it? i asked you bastards a question.:P:P

Last edited:
Am I the only one who never uses the standing tackle button?

99% of the time, I'll just intercept the pass or jockey the defender towards the ball and he'll stick out a foot himself when he's close enough.

Going to ask a stupid question here but is there a way of changing your attacking level during a match like on PES? I see the CPU changing it when I play BAP to "Ultra attacking" etc but I can't see any way of changing it myself?

I struggled to win the seasons cup and did not receive any achivement thanks to EA servers being disconnected. I'm so pissed. That happened also to a friend.

Going to ask a stupid question here but is there a way of changing your attacking level during a match like on PES? I see the CPU changing it when I play BAP to "Ultra attacking" etc but I can't see any way of changing it myself?
It's just left or right on your D-Pad.

It's just left or right on your D-Pad.

I thought that was some preset tactics?

I struggled to win the seasons cup and did not receive any achivement thanks to EA servers being disconnected. I'm so pissed. That happened also to a friend.

I won an Ultimate Team cup and had the same thing happened. EA's servers seem to be faulty more often than not.

Its the tactical button(dpad) and you press right or left. Up down pulls up the presets counter, possesion, longball, default.

Tactical defending has got major flaw. Separating contain/tackle button on different buttons was worst idea ever.

I would like new PES defending. Hold X to lock onto player with ball, double tap to tackle.

I re-map my buttons. On Xbox, X to teammate contain, tackle to A and contain to RB. Works fine so wouldn't call it a major flaw. Double tapping a button to tackle doesn't sound right to me. Relate it to real life and you'd be having a double kick to tackle. A bit stupid and unnatural to me. I don't use contain much anyway. I jockey and time my tackles. Works well and most of all feels right. I defend myself, I don't let the computer to most of it for me.

I re-map my buttons. On Xbox, X to teammate contain, tackle to A and contain to RB.

I think everyone who has played Fifa since they changed things last year reverted back to that config, makes the most sense IMO, almost never use contain myself I always do a manual jockey contain which is how I've always defended in Fifa :)

Maybe Northzzz is just really good but I know that, personally, a "gun-ho" approach on the higher difficulties, at least on Legendary, is a recipe for disaster more often than not.

I'm not at all but I will concede that I'm talking about how it works on online against a human opponent rather than off-line.

Am I the only one who never uses the standing tackle button?

99% of the time, I'll just intercept the pass or jockey the defender towards the ball and he'll stick out a foot himself when he's close enough.

Yes that's what I meant too. The game does almost everything in terms of making sure your tackle is accurate if you're close enough.

Last edited:
I've kept the default tackling setup, putting standing tackle on X (PS3) was suicidal for someone who also plays PES. It makes more sense to me as well - I can use second press and slide tackle at the same time.

The double-kick analogy for the PES system doesn't work at all, PU6HY. A single press would not be a single kick.

Also I feel we've lost tracked of why I started talking about tackling in the first place. People said fouls were hard to give away (which they are). I'm simply stating that I feel this to be the case because tackling is very hard to mess up. I'm not saying it's easy to tackle the opponent every time. You have to wait for the right moment to pounce but that's more about timing than accuracy. The accuracy is done by the computer and you have very little, if any, say in that.

I still get plenty of moments where I'm not really doing anything timing wise and holding pressure and double pressure will get me the ball with only the most minimal of my own input. As Aboutreika said, you can often jockey a defender(s) and he'll just stick his own leg out without any specific user prompt. You just hold pressure and move into the opponent and the game does the hardest part for you. This is why I don't fear tackling on the edge of the box because the game rarely messes up the moment it goes in for a tackle.

Last edited:
Also I feel we've lost tracked of why I started talking about tackling in the first place. People said fouls were hard to give away (which they are). I'm simply stating that I feel this to be the case because tackling is very hard to mess up. I'm not saying it's easy to tackle the opponent every time. You have to wait for the right moment to pounce but that's more about timing than accuracy. The accuracy is done by the computer and you have very little, if any, say in that.

I still get plenty of moments where I'm not really doing anything timing wise and holding pressure and double pressure will get me the ball with only the most minimal of my own input. As Aboutreika said, you can often jockey a defender(s) and he'll just stick his own leg out without any specific user prompt. You just hold pressure and move into the opponent and the game does the hardest part for you. This is why I don't fear tackling on the edge of the box because the game rarely messes up the moment it goes in for a tackle.

Yea it's kinda what I was saying and it's definitely a problem. It's so easy to tackle. I'm gonna go up a skill level see if that helps.

Yeah servers are all fucked.

If any of you guys don't play FUT can you spare/trade me your decent cards? I'm trying to get into it this year. Sort of.

Yea it's kinda what I was saying and it's definitely a problem. It's so easy to tackle. I'm gonna go up a skill level see if that helps.

Right, and I think the responses of some us has been simply that tackling being too easy is not at all our experience.

Maybe it's the difficulty settings you're playing on, like nerf said. Maybe it's the teams you're playing with. Maybe you guys are just really good.

But I'm playing on either WC or Legendary, with a 2 star team in the Npower League 2, and in my CM I can emphatically say that tackling is far from easy. Not only is getting close enough just to stick a boot in pretty damn hard, especially on Legendary, but I've been giving away more PKs than I've ever done in any FIFA. (A lot of times it happens when I haven't even pressed the tackle button, which I think is bullshit, but that's a whole other issue that I have with defending - it's still a bit too automatic for my tastes.)

Now, if you're talking about online, then maybe that's a different experience. And I have heard complaints in the EA forums that Teammate Contain is a bit overpowered in multiplayer.

But when it comes to offline, I'm amazed that some people think tackling is too easy. Unless of course you're not playing on Legendary, or even World Class, in which case, like nerf said, then clearly you need to increase the difficulty setting.

Last edited:
having just played pes 2013 without any edits i can say after 1 whole week of playing fifa it feels natural and real, it makes fifa feel like some plasticy weird game in all honesty.

I think I will just use fifa for online fun/arcadeness and ultimate team fun...and do a master league rather than a career mode as i find fifa career mode either to easy on less than world class and to tedious and monotnous games on anytign above world class.
pes4lyfe is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

My last hope is to try placebos sliders and keep my fingers crossed it brings the game back to me. I don't really pay online, so I just want it to fix my MM games in the lower leagues.

Guess there is zero chance of a patch to slow the game down now?

There will be a patch at some point (someone said 45 days post release, don't know if that's accurate), so who knows.

If you play offline, reducing your Speed/Accel sliders will slow it down.

I'd be surprised to hear that someone thinks the game plays too fast with lower league teams. I get that criticism, and agree with it, when it comes to 4-5 star teams, but for me there's a drastic difference in speed when you play with lesser quality teams.

I do think that the whole speed issue has become a bit convoluted because, I think, people are actually mixing up two separate issues:

1) The speed of player movement. IMO it's too quick when playing with teams/players from the top leagues, but the difference between top quality players and those in the lower leagues is dramatic. (If anything I feel at times like lower rated players are unfairly penalized in how unresponsive and sluggish they can be.)

One part of the problem is simply that player movement animations are too quick. Another part of this problem is with EA's failure to implement a realistic player movement physics system. It's a lot better than what it was in FIFA 10, but unrealistic player movement capabilities is still a major flaw with gameplay.

You can influence the first issue with the acceleration and sprint sliders, which simply adjusts the difficulty level of the game, but you can't influence momentum and player physics because those simply aren't built into the game for far too many scenarios.

2) The other issue is the general pace of play. This speed issue is what people are referring to when they say things like it's non-stop counter-attack, that it's far too open, that midfielders don't defend and can be far too easily bypassed.

Unlike the speed of player movement, which is very different depending upon who you're playing with, this issue is prevalent at every level of the game, no matter which mode you play or which teams you play with.

This too is a multi-faceted issue, and includes issues with the passing and defending systems, but it's been exacerbated by the upgraded attacking AI. When some people say the game plays too fast, it's this issue with being able to move quickly in transition from defense to attack that they're referring to.

The style of play is of course affected by who is playing, but IMO FIFA lends itself and even encourages a rapid attacking style of play. Also, unfortunately for us offline players, the CPU doesn't really give a damn about style of play and rarely prioritizes possession.

Solutions:

If you have issues with #1 - with the speed of player movement - you can help yourself by either a) changing difficulty settings; b) adjusting the acceleration/sprint sliders; or c) play with lesser quality teams. Personally, I find the speed of player movement to be okay on the default settings when playing with teams of 3 star or less, but of course everyone's own abilities will influence this.

If you have issues with #2 - the counter-attack, open nature of gameplay - I imagine that if there's a solution it'll be found within the positioning sliders, like marking, player runs, line width/height, etc. But I'm not sure there is a solution to be honest. If you've found a set of sliders that changes the counter-attack, open nature of gameplay, I'd love to hear them.

If all else fails and the pace of play is still too quick, I've found three cups of strong coffee to really help!

To people who play this on PC, do you use cloud storage or not? What happens if I turn cloud storage off after using it? Will all my save data be different from the cloud?

Another bug in career pro mode, I go to edit my pro to assign new traits that I have just unlocked, I then go to come out of it and go back to my game and it says arsenal squad is full you will be placed in the free agents list (or something like that) and it won't let me do anything, so I have to restart the game.....very annoying.

Another bug in career pro mode, I go to edit my pro to assign new traits that I have just unlocked, I then go to come out of it and go back to my game and it says arsenal squad is full you will be placed in the free agents list (or something like that) and it won't let me do anything, so I have to restart the game.....very annoying.

Wow, the technical issues that are being reported with FIFA 13 are just staggering.

I will say that for me so far, aside from some slow menus and 2 xbox freezes on release day, I've yet to experience a problem.

But some of this stuff is just ridiculous for the biggest sports franchise in all of gaming.

Have you fifa guys played pes 2013 (being a pes forum and all?/)

I got mines today and this here i typed on the pes section. i dont think i can go back to fifa now, though ill play human v human for fun now and then.

''I agree a lot what you say and have been unable to play pes since pes6 so stuck on fifa since 11.

I got pes 2013 today and wow having come from 3 years of fifa and 1 week constant fifa 13 its a breath of fresh air and makes me realise how bad fifa is...though it has a lot going for it...the games are same same all the time its so fake all flash and little substance...formations dont matter, players dont matter, strategies dont matter.

What summed it up for me just now was I was playing a game with real madrid and had Di Maria on the right wing...i get a counter attack and for some reason di maria in wide on the left wing, goodness know how he ended up there but the point is in fifa that would never happen. Fifa is so rigid all over its compleetely fixed, there is no football to be played in the park its all about what you can do when u reach the oppoenents box...pes has football to be played all over on every area of the pitch and players get out of postiiton and all kinds of weird stuff goes on.

It looks real, feels real and plays real. When i wathc the replays its like moves and attacks and errors that u see in games IRL...I realy like fifa on human vs human its arcadey a lot but fun. However versus cpu its just not doing it for me also individuailty and strategy is hardly noticeable..PES has that in abudance.

THe perfect balance of realism sim and arcade video game enjoyment. ''

1) The speed of player movement. IMO it's too quick when playing with teams/players from the top leagues, but the difference between top quality players and those in the lower leagues is dramatic. (If anything I feel at times like lower rated players are unfairly penalized in how unresponsive and sluggish they can be.)

One part of the problem is simply that player movement animations are too quick. Another part of this problem is with EA's failure to implement a realistic player movement physics system.

Solutions:

If you have issues with #1 - with the speed of player movement - you can help yourself by either a) changing difficulty settings; b) adjusting the acceleration/sprint sliders; or c) play with lesser quality teams. Personally, I find the speed of player movement to be okay on the default settings when playing with teams of 3 star or less, but of course everyone's own abilities will influence this.

Fantastic post mfmaxpower. Especially this I agree with. So far I have found a slider combo that I am happy with for most leagues and teams, but not Barca and Real Madrid. Their acceleration and animation speed is so far ahead of the rest. I don't find them enjoyable to play at all...yet.

Have you fifa guys played pes 2013?
I have hammered PES the last years and largely given FIFA a miss, except the odd games at friends' houses. Except this year I was impressed by the FIFA first touch feature and match day with player form changing, both of which add a lot of variety. PES 2013 has glaring gameplay issues to me that have lingered for years, but it is easy to see past each game's faults when you are looking at it with fresh eyes. That's probably some of why I am enjoying FIFA 13 more at the moment.

Last edited:
Fantastic post mfmaxpower. Especially this I agree with. So far I have found a slider combo that I am happy with for most leagues and teams, but not Barca and Real Madrid. Their acceleration and animation speed is so far ahead of the rest. I don't find them enjoyable to play at all...yet.

I have hammered PES the last years and largely given FIFA a miss, except the odd games at friends' houses. Except this year I was impressed by the FIFA first touch feature and match day with player form changing, both of which add a lot of variety. PES 2013 has glaring gameplay issues to me that have lingered for years, but it is easy to see past each game's faults when you are looking at it with fresh eyes. That's probably some of why I am enjoying FIFA 13 more at the moment.

well mate for me though i bought pes every year 2008-2012 but after 1 week stuck with modded old pes5/6 then fifa since fifa 11....

So its not like its fresh fresh its just a huge diff from any other modern pes, its like old school pes but with modern gfx and physics etc...this is a true pes, im really lovign it but only just been playing today lol,,but it feels so real and when i go to play fifa i now see how rigid and undynamic fifa i, basically though thats a lot to do with the cpu ai which spoils it for me on single player.

I think fifa has amazing shooting and i miss that on pes its not as good but i like fifa against humans its just very monotonous on single player.
Fifa is like get the ball to opponents box then try to find a way past the 5-7 men backline who stick to u liek glue..repeat 90 minutes...nothing else happens, there is no randomness in the middle of the park, no varitey in build up play...barre counters but its cpu that gets counters hardly me unless vs top teams on legendary...

IMO its the NBA jam of football they should have the pitch only 2 boxes and goals cause what happens in the middle of the park is pointless.

ON pes like real football there are battles going on all over the pitch and the way you can change play or mix it up or attck from different angles or have scrappy midfeild battles etc is totally non existant on fifa. When i do a long cross field pas to open up play on pes it does just that and i find lots of space or whatever, most often if i try to do corss field pass on fifa it dont matter as the opponents on tht side of the pitch are still there and tightly marking my players its all so rigid.

I was loving fifa and love many aspects of the game, the skill tricks and shooting and now first touch feture but the game as a whole is rather reptiitve and one dimensional. At least against humans there is somewhat more variety to the game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom