FIFA 13

It's amazing how different people perceive the two games so differently. I could give the same praise to FIFA 13. =P Now I fully understand the criticism PES has sometimes received as being "on rails". BTW if you are a PES fan and sensitive to criticism of it you might want to skip the rest of this post. =P

I love how you can put the ball behind or in front of players in FIFA with semi-auto passing. I love how players in FIFA do not slow down their runs receiving through passes due to shoddy AI. I love Fifa analog player movement. I love how in FIFA when you spam sprint, players actually tire late game, rather than it being ALL stat based as in PES. I love the FIFA contests for balls in the air, where timing, positioning, strength, first touch etc really matter, producing different results every time. I love the FIFA physical engine for jostling and pushing &pulling, with countless results possible. No being locked into annoying stumble animations. =P

I love how the FIFA AI actually pass it backwards and sideways, keeping possession, rather than constantly pushing forward as in PES 2013. FIFA AI is also clever enough to bend runs so as to rarely go offside.

PES does some things a lot better than FIFA too, and my opinions of both 2013 games change as I've played with Jenkey's sliders in PES and FIFA sliders (and other mods). Both games shine when heavily tweaked and both out-of-the-box can be pretty dire IMO.

Last edited:
I don't know if I'm missing something, but I tried to change the Quick Tactics for my team, to include Possession. When I'm in a match, pressing down on the d-pad shows me options such as CB Overlap, but not the Possession option. Am I doing something wrong?

It's amazing how different people perceive the two games so differently. I could give the same praise to FIFA 13. =P Now I fully understand the criticism PES has sometimes received as being "on rails". BTW if you are a PES fan and sensitive to criticism of it you might want to skip the rest of this post. =P

I love how you can put the ball behind or in front of players in FIFA with semi-auto passing. I love how players in FIFA do not slow down their runs receiving through passes due to shoddy AI. I love Fifa analog player movement. I love how in FIFA when you spam sprint, players actually tire late game, rather than it being ALL stat based as in PES. I love the FIFA contests for balls in the air, where timing, positioning, strength, first touch etc really matter, producing different results every time. I love the FIFA physical engine for jostling and pushing &pulling, with countless results possible. No being locked into annoying stumble animations. =P

I love how the FIFA AI actually pass it backwards and sideways, keeping possession, rather than constantly pushing forward as in PES 2013. FIFA AI is also clever enough to bend runs so as to rarely go offside.

PES does some things a lot better than FIFA too, and my opinions of both 2013 games change as I've played with Jenkey's sliders in PES and FIFA sliders (and other mods). Both games shine when heavily tweaked and both out-of-the-box can be pretty dire IMO.

might be honeymoon period i just played today maybe ill se thigns and get bored by pes 2013 soon?

What you say about fifa is so true to me so much is great about fifa but for one thing playing agians the cou becomes a boring repitive chore.

BUt yeh fifa13 is a very very good game i just really liking and enjoying playing the cpu more in pes than on fifa

feels like i been playing the same guy every day for 3 years with fifa 11,12,13 and wc 2010 and some fifa10...same dude and he plays same way every fame lol...after 3 yeas daily playing same guy no wonder pes feels like breath of fresh air

BUt more than that i do feel PES CPU AI is more vaired in relation to individual and teams and strategies compared to fifa13 where i belvie the CPU is monotonous and undimensional most often.

As for online havent played pes online yet. I enjoy the game of fifa more online BUT i get annoyed domianting games and being beaten by counter attack goals so that a problem with the engine? i dont know? the game is still fun on 2player anyway.

PES feels and plays like it has more freedom and variety in the games to me more randomness but fifa does a lot of things better, like shooting, dribbli skills/tricks, perhaps headers and manual crossing is better, 1st touch maybe, etc..etc..but the base game is crap, its like they have all the best sweets in the world and put them in some old biscuit tin whereas pes has just some regualr sweets but has them in a brnad new gold plated shiny quality street tin lol

Pretty sure this is the Fifa thread not the PES one...

I don't know if I'm missing something, but I tried to change the Quick Tactics for my team, to include Possession. When I'm in a match, pressing down on the d-pad shows me options such as CB Overlap, but not the Possession option. Am I doing something wrong?

Press up?

One problem with FIFA and Pes is that they both look exactly the same as the last two versions.
They both need a visual revamp.
Fifas graphics are IMO looking dated. They just seem to have added a ton of colour to try and make it look "new"

FIFA is more loose than pes that's for sure and is fantastic fun online with a mate.

I haven't taken pes online yet. But all my mates now hate it so I probably won't bother.

I finally had yesterday afternoon free to spend some time on FUT.

Now, am I missing something here, or were the EA servers down all bloody day?

All I did was play the easiest off-line tournament, then open a bronze pack. Last year it was very quick to put a player into your squad, and sell the one he replaced. Now it's about 10-15 secs of loading to do each process

Please tell me it's not like this when the servers are running?

Equally, I've got a few gold packs. Is it like last year where it's a mistake to plough into creating a good team and missing a few bronze/silver tournaments?

Well next year probably both will get a major revamp with the next-gen of consoles. It's true their engines are feeling a bit dated. I imagine and hope quite a lot of their respective development resources over the last year have already gone into next-gen. Hopefully next year we'll see things like foot-planting and inertia, pitch deformation, vastly improved AI etc.

Well yeh it is a pro evo forum I bet 6-7 years ago there wsnt even a fifa section lol its just pes became so bad and fifa improved.

I personally just cannot play too many games agasint cpu before i get bored, i think everything else about fifa is great but same old games vs cpu.....get ball face 5-8 men behind ball pass about for ages try to get chance to score, eventually lose ball cpu breaks and counters gets chance to score, then i get ball then repeat process 90 minutes. When i play pes the games feel a lot more dimensional and not same-same all the time.

Ive had some real cracking games online with FIFA. And on Pes ive had some cracking offline games just had a copa libaetradres game with santos...

Was 1-0 down from 1st leg, 2nd leg went 1-0 up then they came back 2-1 up, i had to score 2 goals to win on away goals, boom 2-2 in 80mins, loadsa pressure for the 3rd but i just never got it.

My games agaisnt cpu on fifa just seem pretty much forgetable. Shame really. Though i do score some memorable goals,,,,but the games themselves lack end to end action and variation (vs cpu).

In pes its possible to get 3-2 2-2 or 1-0 grind even comebcak form 2-0 to 2-2 then lose 4-2 or win 4-2 etc..in fifa its like 0-0 or 1-0 maybe agsint crapper team i get 2-0 agaisnt good team maybe 1-1 or 2-1...

Last edited:
Getting annoyed with some of the bullshit goals the CPU can score!
Danny Green of Charlton running toward the corner flag on the right hand side of the box, my keeper on the near post.. He shoots and beats my keeper into the bottom corner.. How?!

I'd be surprised to hear that someone thinks the game plays too fast with lower league teams. I get that criticism, and agree with it, when it comes to 4-5 star teams, but for me there's a drastic difference in speed when you play with lesser quality teams.

I do think that the whole speed issue has become a bit convoluted because, I think, people are actually mixing up two separate issues:

1) The speed of player movement. IMO it's too quick when playing with teams/players from the top leagues, but the difference between top quality players and those in the lower leagues is dramatic. (If anything I feel at times like lower rated players are unfairly penalized in how unresponsive and sluggish they can be.)

One part of the problem is simply that player movement animations are too quick. Another part of this problem is with EA's failure to implement a realistic player movement physics system. It's a lot better than what it was in FIFA 10, but unrealistic player movement capabilities is still a major flaw with gameplay.

You can influence the first issue with the acceleration and sprint sliders, which simply adjusts the difficulty level of the game, but you can't influence momentum and player physics because those simply aren't built into the game for far too many scenarios.

2) The other issue is the general pace of play. This speed issue is what people are referring to when they say things like it's non-stop counter-attack, that it's far too open, that midfielders don't defend and can be far too easily bypassed.

Unlike the speed of player movement, which is very different depending upon who you're playing with, this issue is prevalent at every level of the game, no matter which mode you play or which teams you play with.

This too is a multi-faceted issue, and includes issues with the passing and defending systems, but it's been exacerbated by the upgraded attacking AI. When some people say the game plays too fast, it's this issue with being able to move quickly in transition from defense to attack that they're referring to.

The style of play is of course affected by who is playing, but IMO FIFA lends itself and even encourages a rapid attacking style of play. Also, unfortunately for us offline players, the CPU doesn't really give a damn about style of play and rarely prioritizes possession.

Solutions:

If you have issues with #1 - with the speed of player movement - you can help yourself by either a) changing difficulty settings; b) adjusting the acceleration/sprint sliders; or c) play with lesser quality teams. Personally, I find the speed of player movement to be okay on the default settings when playing with teams of 3 star or less, but of course everyone's own abilities will influence this.

If you have issues with #2 - the counter-attack, open nature of gameplay - I imagine that if there's a solution it'll be found within the positioning sliders, like marking, player runs, line width/height, etc. But I'm not sure there is a solution to be honest. If you've found a set of sliders that changes the counter-attack, open nature of gameplay, I'd love to hear them.

If all else fails and the pace of play is still too quick, I've found three cups of strong coffee to really help!

To be honest my issues with speed aren't really governed solely by how quickly you can move with the ball from defense to attack if you're referring to the speed players run at. I think the game is too fast because of the way players react to the ball. Tackling, turning, controlling the ball, pivoting, getting the ball from under your feet to pass/shoot etc it all happens so quickly by default. Everything is almost instantaneous when it should be more measured. The speed of which the players do those things isn't dynamic enough based on context.

The new mis-control feature goes a long way to show what the game should be doing more of in that area but mis-controlling the ball doesn't need the ball to veer away from the player in order to stand out. Controlling a ball and taking time to do get a difficult ball under control isn't miscontrol, it's just a normal piece of control.

The sliders really don't have any bearing on certain things.

Last edited:
Well yeh it is a pro evo forum I bet 6-7 years ago there wsnt even a fifa section lol its just pes became so bad and fifa improved.

I personally just cannot play too many games agasint cpu before i get bored, i think everything else about fifa is great but same old games vs cpu.....get ball face 5-8 men behind ball pass about for ages try to get chance to score, eventually lose ball cpu breaks and counters gets chance to score, then i get ball then repeat process 90 minutes. When i play pes the games feel a lot more dimensional and not same-same all the time.

Ive had some real cracking games online with FIFA. And on Pes ive had some cracking offline games just had a copa libaetradres game with santos...

Was 1-0 down from 1st leg, 2nd leg went 1-0 up then they came back 2-1 up, i had to score 2 goals to win on away goals, boom 2-2 in 80mins, loadsa pressure for the 3rd but i just never got it.

My games agaisnt cpu on fifa just seem pretty much forgetable. Shame really. Though i do score some memorable goals,,,,but the games themselves lack end to end action and variation (vs cpu).

In pes its possible to get 3-2 2-2 or 1-0 grind even comebcak form 2-0 to 2-2 then lose 4-2 or win 4-2 etc..in fifa its like 0-0 or 1-0 maybe agsint crapper team i get 2-0 agaisnt good team maybe 1-1 or 2-1...

I think the point is that we get it - you don't like FIFA 13. You don't need to make post after post after post about how much you prefer PES to FIFA.

You're saying the same thing, over and over and over again. Seriously, we get it.

You sure you're not pressing up, instead of down?

The default settings is that pressing up on the d-pad brings up things like CB Overlap and Switch Wings.

Pressing down should bring up Possession, Counter-attack, etc.

Or at least that's how it's always been for me.

Connecting to EA server speed up the game. that's the issue some people are having with speed.

anyway gameplay is good, shooting on manual a blast. visually the game is pretty poor but the only annoying thing is lack of on the fly subs and poor tactical options.

overall best game of football i played in a long time. The unespected is always there, as opposed to pes where everything feels scripted.

Game in unplayable online in ranked modes. Its super fast and antirealistic...EA destroyed online in terms of speed. I can only play offline with friends on slow/manual with sliders lowered...EA DO SOMETHING ABOUT ONLINE SPEED!!!!!

having just played pes 2013 without any edits i can say after 1 whole week of playing fifa it feels natural and real, it makes fifa feel like some plasticy weird game in all honesty.

I think I will just use fifa for online fun/arcadeness and ultimate team fun...and do a master league rather than a career mode as i find fifa career mode either to easy on less than world class and to tedious and monotnous games on anytign above world class.
pes4lyfe is offline Report Post Edit/Delete Message

Youve got to be fucking joking lad. Pes is a travesty of a game. I cant play more than two games in a row. Ive just been bullshitted out of a few games with really cheap goals, whilst their keeper parried everything i hit at him.

Its a bullshit game. At least with fifa, theres a fluency to animation and a bit of balance. You can stick pes where the sun dont shine frankly.

Have you fifa guys played pes 2013 (being a pes forum and all?/)

I got mines today and this here i typed on the pes section. i dont think i can go back to fifa now, though ill play human v human for fun now and then.

''I agree a lot what you say and have been unable to play pes since pes6 so stuck on fifa since 11.

I got pes 2013 today and wow having come from 3 years of fifa and 1 week constant fifa 13 its a breath of fresh air and makes me realise how bad fifa is...though it has a lot going for it...the games are same same all the time its so fake all flash and little substance...formations dont matter, players dont matter, strategies dont matter.

What summed it up for me just now was I was playing a game with real madrid and had Di Maria on the right wing...i get a counter attack and for some reason di maria in wide on the left wing, goodness know how he ended up there but the point is in fifa that would never happen. Fifa is so rigid all over its compleetely fixed, there is no football to be played in the park its all about what you can do when u reach the oppoenents box...pes has football to be played all over on every area of the pitch and players get out of postiiton and all kinds of weird stuff goes on.

It looks real, feels real and plays real. When i wathc the replays its like moves and attacks and errors that u see in games IRL...I realy like fifa on human vs human its arcadey a lot but fun. However versus cpu its just not doing it for me also individuailty and strategy is hardly noticeable..PES has that in abudance.

THe perfect balance of realism sim and arcade video game enjoyment. ''

Wont last. Placebo effect because you switched games and it feels fresh and new. Wait till you've played it a week.

I think the point is that we get it - you don't like FIFA 13. You don't need to make post after post after post about how much you prefer PES to FIFA.

You're saying the same thing, over and over and over again. Seriously, we get it.

Erm obv u dotn read my posts I lavish praise on fifa and until i played pes 2013 i was saying how good this game was but since playing pes 2013 and going back to fifa 13 it shows up how bad the cpu ai is in fifa nad how dull it is to play the cpu.

I do not hate fifa 13 at all.

Wont last. Placebo effect because you switched games and it feels fresh and new. Wait till you've played it a week.

Maybe well see. But i was getting really bored off playing cpu in all modes on fifa 13...felt like a continuation of me playing fifa last 2/3 years....I want to love fifa and do but i just find playing cpu gets old fast.

I found in 1 day of play anwyay on pes that playing cpu was more interesting but then again as you say it may just be as its a change from fifa and in 1 week i will find it just as annoying as playing fifa cpu? Who knows time will tell.

I wish fifa was more enjoyable offline as its a great game really

Played some fifa having played pes all day yesterday it felt decent.

I guess 5hr per day since relase of fifa13 lead to boredom.

I think bouncing between pes and fifa can be a good thing it will keep you fresh and happy with both, when you ge tannoyed by stuff in fifa play pes until you get annoyed or bored by that then go back to fifa

and on and on

You sure you're not pressing up, instead of down?

The default settings is that pressing up on the d-pad brings up things like CB Overlap and Switch Wings.

Pressing down should bring up Possession, Counter-attack, etc.

Or at least that's how it's always been for me.

I'll give that a try thanks. I knew it must have been something that I was doing wrong, I was attempting to actually press the dpad in, like when you press the left stick in for L3, doh! :)

Played some fifa having played pes all day yesterday it felt decent.

I guess 5hr per day since relase of fifa13 lead to boredom.

I think bouncing between pes and fifa can be a good thing it will keep you fresh and happy with both, when you ge tannoyed by stuff in fifa play pes until you get annoyed or bored by that then go back to fifa

and on and on

Sort of agree. If you want rigid football with dumb AI play PES.
If you want football at hyperspeed and fun online the play FIFA

Still think both games need a graphic revamp for next year.

I find comparing the two games utterly pointless. They're distinctly different games, it's like comparing an F1 title to a Rally sim. Both technically the same activity, but vastly different to one another.

I'm content at least now, managed to sell my copy in mint condition for just a couple of quid less than I paid for the game. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Sort of agree. If you want rigid football with dumb AI play PES.
If you want football at hyperspeed and fun online the play FIFA

Still think both games need a graphic revamp for next year.

well thats a pessmistic outlook you could say.

When I want a more genuine well thought out game ill play some PES,
When I want some fast action fun ill play some Fifa.

I find comparing the two games utterly pointless. They're distinctly different games, it's like comparing an F1 title to a Rally sim. Both technically the same activity, but vastly different to one another.

I'm content at least now, managed to sell my copy in mint condition for just a couple of quid less than I paid for the game. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

Kinda true both are enjoyable though so thats good.

Back
Top Bottom