FIFA 13

For a friendly, yes, but for all other game modes, no - the option isn't there. For CM I'm pretty sure it's a rotation of the refs who are the same nationality as the league you play in so for every one game you get with a few decent fouls with a strict ref, you get the next two or three with not much from the lenient and average refs.
What EA should have done was start the refs at strict and go up from there. In addition, the degree of strictness should be skewed to the respective leagues they ref in - that is, if you play in the Bundesliga or Serie A you'll get a lot more fouls called than if you play in the EPL.
I don't know why these type of ideas never get considered by professional game designers. :CONFUSE:

I meant in the main menu at the front end, before you go into any match/mode. But I havent checked if the choosen ref in that menu is saved throughout the modes. Wouldnt expect it if they nationalise the ref in cm. but i tested a stricter ref aswell hoping to get more fouls in an ai vs ai match but it didnt help as the ai hardly ever tackles or dives in.

I meant in the main menu at the front end, before you go into any match/mode. But I havent checked if the choosen ref in that menu is saved throughout the modes. Wouldnt expect it if they nationalise the ref in cm. but i tested a stricter ref aswell hoping to get more fouls in an ai vs ai match but it didnt help as the ai hardly ever tackles or dives in.

Already tested that mate - doesn't stick in CM. A strict ref does help though in a human/cpu game, at least from my sampling of games.
I've done some other testing and found that the following adjustments increase fouls - it makes for a bit tighter game somewhat but to me is worth the tradeoff to get a couple freekicks a match:

- Adjust Marking slider to 85

- Set Aggression in custom team tactics to 100 - this can either be done by editing teams (if you're playing a CM, you can do the entire league), or before the match begins, switch the cursor to the CPU via select sides and change their custom tactic. Save it to a slot - you can keep overwriting that same slot for each game so you only need to use one.

I've done this for both my team and the opposition to keep play even and as long as you get a strict ref it usually yields 5-6 fouls for each team in a 15-minute match (and usually a card or two). I've even gotten 4 apiece with an average ref.

Someone help me!! DTrying my own slidrs, placeoba and default i have same problems.

On Proffesional I win to easy every game but when i bump to WC though I still find the game kinda easy i sturggle to get chances to shoot nevermind score..It actually makes the game tedious as i have all this possesion but cant do anything with it and eventually lose the ball or shoot from distance a poor shot. Im not a bad player its just the CPU defense covers every area when you attack when not a counter attack anyway.

I have tried marking at 45 for cpu and this made it easy but to easy i had lots of sapce to make space and fidn players and do shots etc...

I then tried marking at 85, dont know why just to see effect and nothing much changed.

Proffesioanl i can make chances but games end 70% possesion to me and 15-0 on shots. THat is crap.

Legendary I struggle also and cpu can actually attack very well.

WC is more balanced as teams like Man utd play very well and can beat me easy but a team like norwich ill dominate....but stil i just cant make decent chances it makes the game boring/annoying.

I get lots of fun stuff on Proff but its to easy so also boring.

Someone help me!! DTrying my own slidrs, placeoba and default i have same problems.

On Proffesional I win to easy every game but when i bump to WC though I still find the game kinda easy i sturggle to get chances to shoot nevermind score..It actually makes the game tedious as i have all this possesion but cant do anything with it and eventually lose the ball or shoot from distance a poor shot. Im not a bad player its just the CPU defense covers every area when you attack when not a counter attack anyway.

I have tried marking at 45 for cpu and this made it easy but to easy i had lots of sapce to make space and fidn players and do shots etc...

I then tried marking at 85, dont know why just to see effect and nothing much changed.

Proffesioanl i can make chances but games end 70% possesion to me and 15-0 on shots. THat is crap.

Legendary I struggle also and cpu can actually attack very well.

WC is more balanced as teams like Man utd play very well and can beat me easy but a team like norwich ill dominate....but stil i just cant make decent chances it makes the game boring/annoying.

I get lots of fun stuff on Proff but its to easy so also boring.

You could try:

Professional but with higher marking; higher pass error;

World Class but lower acceleration.

Legendary with lower acceleration, lower marking;

Also, you might enjoy higher difficulty settings but with more assisted controls.

Finally succumbed and bought FIFA13, never been so disappointed with a game. I can't even take it back to the shop now as they don't accept refunds once the seal's been broken. It's now already online and up for sale.

I can't even count the number of issues I have with it. In one evening of playing, three times a player has collided with another before firing across the pitch like he'd been shot from a canon. Twice in once evening the game has just frozen mid-match for no reason.

Gameplay-wise, I really enjoyed the demo, but for some reason I hate the final version. I got bored in my career mode before I'd even finished with the friendlies. Every match feels exactly the same, after buying five FIFA games in a row I'm finally fed up with watching the AI do stupid twisting and turning on the ball. NO-ONE does this in real life.

The final version resembles basketball more than football. Lightning fast, end-to-end, there is very marginal difference between each player and even then they're divided into player 'types' like dribbler, hold up man etc. I'm sure I could get something passable out of the sliders but frankly last year I spent so much time messing around with FIFA12 sliders than actually just enjoying the game, well, now I can't be bothered.

I also hate all the camera angles. They're all obscure apart from Tele Broadcast, but then the angle of the pitch is not right and the player models somehow look both tiny and out of proportion to the pitch. Graphically, the lighting is awful, especially in night matches too. So disappointed.

I dunno what is is overall, but I got no satisfaction from scoring a goal. I beat a team 3-0 with Inter, scored three crackers from outside the box, but somehow there's no 'one more go' feel for me and certainly no 'out of the seat' moment when I score. It all feels fast, and frankly tired. I could be playing an amalgamation of any one of several FIFA games from the past. I never felt like I was playing anything particularly new.

Shame. I'm sure I'll get slated for my views but they are what they are. I don't begrudge anyone from enjoying it, far from it, for me it's no-where near anything resembling football. Especially when my players run into each other and fire off across the pitch at 100mph sliding on their backsides.

Bug testers anyone? After the debacle I experienced in FIFA10's broken Manager Mode ruining hours of gaming, then FIFA World Cup 2010 seeing me plough all the way to the World Cup Semi Finals all the way from qualifying, only to take to the field and find I only have 4 players on the pitch with no fixing it, I'm not gonna hang around and waste my time with this game waiting for some kind of bug to ruin the whole game.

Cheers, EA, but I'm out.

You could try:

Professional but with higher marking; higher pass error;

World Class but lower acceleration.

Legendary with lower acceleration, lower marking;

Also, you might enjoy higher difficulty settings but with more assisted controls.

Proff is to easy for me overall..cpu is weak attacking needs to be WC aboe i reckon.

If i play WC and lower acceleartion it will not five me more space.

The point im trying to make is that when i play cpu they have so many men behind ball and marking my players its hard to make chances.

So i dropped marking but never noticed anything til45 but then i kept scorign it was too easy....

I guess i could try legendary on marking 45.

Thing is I wonder if u play on legendary even crap teams like southend in the cup will play amazing football? Is this the case?

I see on WC that good teams play good and crap teams play crap so thats fair. I think WC is good for that. dotn know about legendary but i presume all games are hard no matter opponent?

I wish i could make WC a bit easier for me attacking wise but i think the CPU attack on WC is good for my abilities.

I had a feeling you'd have that response, LTFC. fwiw I haven't experienced any Impact Engine bugs nor crashes so far.

I was quite enjoying some friendlies tonight with my sliders. I've also managed to get the Spanish commentary installed and working, which is nice, so I'll see if I can download some more languages and get them installed too. I always prefer the option to have the native commentary when I'm playing with a team from another country.

One negative opinion I do hold though is that the magnetic ball is back with a vengeance. I had been convinced it was gone in the demo, so either a) I was mistaken about that or b) they restored it for the full release, and I cannot fathom why they would do that.

It's stuff like this:

YouTube - FIFA 13 - the magnetic ball

...that I wish they would do without. If the GameChangers thing is still going (?), can they suggest that?

First the ball is sucked from Lita's leg and tries to stick with him, because letting it bounce free would be terrible(!?), and then it deflects off him so conveniently in his teammate's exact direction. Taken in isolation it could be called coincidence, but this happens all over the place, especially from goalkeeper parries. And not just for the AI but for both teams.

I'm crossing my fingers that somebody will be able to figure out how to mod it out of the PC version. It doesn't ruin the game by any means, but I feel certain it would be better without it.

I had a feeling you'd have that response, LTFC. fwiw I haven't experienced any Impact Engine bugs nor crashes so far.

I was quite enjoying some friendlies tonight with my sliders. I've also managed to get the Spanish commentary installed and working, which is nice, so I'll see if I can download some more languages and get them installed too. I always prefer the option to have the native commentary when I'm playing with a team from another country.

One negative opinion I do hold though is that the magnetic ball is back with a vengeance. I had been convinced it was gone in the demo, so either a) I was mistaken about that or b) they restored it for the full release, and I cannot fathom why they would do that.

It's stuff like this:

YouTube - FIFA 13 - the magnetic ball

...that I wish they would do without. If the GameChangers thing is still going (?), can they suggest that?

First the ball is sucked from Lita's leg and tries to stick with him, because letting it bounce free would be terrible(!?), and then it deflects off him so conveniently in his teammate's exact direction. Taken in isolation it could be called coincidence, but this happens all over the place, especially from goalkeeper parries. And not just for the AI but for both teams.

I'm crossing my fingers that somebody will be able to figure out how to mod it out of the PC version. It doesn't ruin the game by any means, but I feel certain it would be better without it.

Oh well, can't say I didn't at least give it a go, but until EA actually release something entirely different then I think I'm out, each game just feels too similar to the last one to be honest. Last FIFA game I genuinely enjoyed was the World Cup 2010 game, and even that got soured by bugs ruining the game experience. But fair play if others are enjoying it :))

A for the magnetic ball, yeah I saw that loads tonight. I was particularly infuriated by how AI clearances, even blindly hit on the turn, would fly 60 yards and right onto the foot of the attacker. It was then that it reminded me of basketball.

Oh well. A total waste of money but hopefully I can recoup virtually all of it by selling it quickly before the game starts to depreciate.

Nope, I know he does awesome sliders but my issues with the game go deeper I'm afraid. The game just feels like an empty shell of a football sim. I think I'm just fed up with the game feeling virtually the same year on year. They need to take the game in a new direction, but so long as it continues to sell like it does then why should they bother?

But I am gutted at how they've developed the game in the last year. I thought FIFA12 was a great step in the right direction, too similar to previous games still, but at least a good step forwards. This year the game feels more basketball-like, vastly more fast paced and stuff like the first touch feature in reality doesn't really seem contextual to the skill of the person on the ball. I mean since when did Arteta repeatedly take awful first touches yet someone with far worse technique traps the ball perfectly? C'mon. It's just a feature tacked on to make it seem like EA are listening to people about inertia, first touch etc. Having Ronaldo take a terrible touch just when he's about to score doesn't seem very stat based to me, just a random occurrence where the feature kicks when it wants to.

But my main issue is with the whole way the game is put together on the pitch. Nothing feels right. I picked up the ball with Walcott on the edge of his own area and using R stick managed to sprint nearly the entire length of the pitch unnopposed until he got to the opposition's goal line. Really?

I won't complain about the game any more, I'm getting rid of it so there's no real point.

Last edited:
Regarding fouls: The lack of them could simply be because of how easy it is to tackle making it so that it's actually very hard to legitimately foul the opposition. If you go in for a standing tackle, you'll mostly either win it cleanly (and take the ball in your stride) or the player will skip past you and you won't win it. It's very rare that you mistime your tackle and stick out a leg and take out the player. It seems to be the case for both me and the computer. Most of the fouls that actually get given away are obstruction rather than anything else (unless you love to slide tackle of course). It is without a doubt the most unrealistic thing I've noticed about the game in my first 20 hours of play. In fact it's quite silly how hard it is to go into a tackle and not win the ball. There's no real skill to tackling and as such there's no real way to be bad at it and give away fouls a lot.

The tackling system as it currently is serves to counter the easy attacking system (passing accuracy and speed, lack of mistouches when dribbling, great close control, player forward runs when prompted etc) on the default settings. I used to think the exact same thought with Fifa 09, then Fifa 10. I don't think it's changed really.

Last edited:
It's just a feature tacked on to make it seem like EA are listening to people about inertia, first touch etc. Having Ronaldo take a terrible touch just when he's about to score doesn't seem very stat based to me, just a random occurrence where the feature kicks when it wants to.
I think that's unfair and I disagree, it's really not that random.

It's quite ridiculous how hard it is to go into a tackle and not win the ball. You are essentially running into them and taking the ball.
On the lower difficulties, perhaps. Play on Legendary and tackling is far from easy.

On the lower difficulties, perhaps. Play on Legendary and tackling is far from easy.

That's not really what I meant though. You may struggle at tackling because the computer is good at second guessing you but it's not about the quality (accuracy) of the tackle itself but the attacker's play in that instance. It's not saying anything about the inherent elements of tackling though.

I really don't think there's any accuracy needed at the moment you go in for tackle itself. I can, and do get, ran into constantly by a defender who comes in for a tackle, winning the ball and having it stick to his feet. Going in for a tackle requires both really good decision-making and accuracy but the game does the latter for you so you rarely make a mistake as a defender if you're close enough.

Playing online shows how well that a gun-ho approach from defenders works. When in real-life a team is pushed back into their final third they look to block out shots and passing lanes rather than going in for a tackle and giving away a foul in a dangerous position, in this game that'll happen and a defender will run into you and take the ball because it's very easy to make a tackle in close quarters and not give away a foul (and more often than not take the ball in their stride and proceed to counter attack).

Last edited:
I think that's unfair and I disagree, it's really not that random.

I agree on both. If you think First Touch is random, and not stat and context based, you probably just haven't played enough. There's a massive variance in first touch capabilities - playing with my 2 star team in CM compared to, say Chelsea, is a night and day experience.

It's not a perfect system but it certainly is context sensitive as well. Sometimes it doesn't seem to work quite right, but it's a vast improvement over anything that's been done before.

And, yeah, tackling is far from easy on Legendary. I agree that the system is flawed - primarily in that it's too difficult at times to get close to dribblers - but tackling is far more difficult now than it was prior to Tactical Defending.

Maybe Northzzz is just really good but I know that, personally, a "gun-ho" approach on the higher difficulties, at least on Legendary, is a recipe for disaster more often than not.

thing is right a lot of you guys are slating fifa as its not giving you the career mode realistic type sim of a game and more like nba hend to end high speed stuff

BUT THINK ABOUT IT

the typical gamer and lads that want some quick fun games even over a feew beers its the perfect game, its fast, its exciting and fun. Same for young kids they want trick moves, fast players and lots of goals not a footy sim.

So fifa are making the game to meet the market, thats who is buying and thats what sells.

Obviously when playing human vs human there is so much varaibilty in performance and human error games are not always the same though some things occur often eg, counter attack goals...but the game IMO is designed for the casual gamers, the guys at the weekend with some beers who want some fun without using there brain to much or the young kids who just want action.

If you got some mates over and your drunk or even sober you can put fifa on and have some games and you can be in awe of the goals you score, laughing at the fuked up things and physics that happens and just overall have a fun game where everyone is geting chances to show off and make shots without to much effort or thought. Its really not complicated though it can be if you get really into it.

Pes was kinda like this with mates but thigs liek formational changes, and strategies and substitutions and tactics had huge effect on the game even versus mates, fifa still does not offer that..its just a fun EA sports video game and that needs to be accepted.

FIFA gives that IMO now to sit down and play on your own its not the same, its not as much fun.

Last edited:
Said it before in the pes 13 thread. If you swap between pes and FIFA you won't enjoy either as much as if you pick one or the other.
Both games play totally different. I really enjoy pes this year but after playing FIFA it feels so sluggish. Then after I play pes FIFA feels too fast. Flicking between both isn't good!

There is a small update in the EAS FC store...Two new Puma boots are now available...The black and yellow Powercat and a blue Puma King.
These two were not available by default in the store.
I am just wondering if they were unlocked or were they updated by EA?

Not really had chance to post in here due to moving house and an addiction to Rocksmith.

But wtf happened? I called the demo the best football game I've probably played - at least since pes 5/6. So I couldn't wait for the final version.

But like so many others have said, what have ea done? What a mess :(

The game is ridiculously fast (playing on slow) that it doesn't feel like football. Why would they do that? The demo felt perfect and that was using 'fast' teams.

Also finding the tactical defending far too easy now. I just hammer the 'stick a foot out' button and win the ball every time. Really disappointing. In fact, for the first time in this series, I've turned tactical defending off, just so I'm not tempted to use it.

My last hope is to try placebos sliders and keep my fingers crossed it brings the game back to me. I don't really pay online, so I just want it to fix my MM games in the lower leagues.

Guess there is zero chance of a patch to slow the game down now?

Also finding the tactical defending far too easy now. I just hammer the 'stick a foot out' button and win the ball every time. Really disappointing. In fact, for the first time in this series, I've turned tactical defending off, just so I'm not tempted to use it.
I don't understand. What do you mean 'turn Tactical Defending off'? Surely that means 'turn Legacy Defending on', which is only infinitely easier?

Guess there is zero chance of a patch to slow the game down now?
There will be a patch at some point (someone said 45 days post release, don't know if that's accurate), so who knows.

If you play offline, reducing your Speed/Accel sliders will slow it down.

I let my kids use legacy defending. If tactical is a problem and you are playing offline, don't be a gimp and just tap tackle all the time. Play properly and time the tackles. Simple.

It's like before they brought out manual passing, I never pingponged like a gimp then either. I play realistically.

Ha! Gimp?! Thanks...

It's not that I was spamming the button, but just every time I pressed it, I always won the ball. Maybe I'm just amazing at defending ;)

I thought legacy would mean it would disable that button only, but if it means it goes back to the easy way of defending then that's no good either. Annoying. Wasn't this bad on '12.

I'll give it a proper go later with Paul's sliders and see what happens.

'Legacy' is the old heat-seeking missile defending from FIFA 11 and before, when just holding one button will tractor-beam your player towards the dribbler and auto-tackle him.

'Tactical' takes that out and replaces it with a jockey, then you have to press the tackle button at the right time to stick a foot in.

Finding it too easy to tackle is usually a sign that you're playing on a difficulty too low. I think maybe the main difference between difficulty levels is the speed of thought (how quickly the CPU controller reacts to you), and if they're sluggish to react then it's easy to get close enough to dispossess them.

.If you play offline, reducing your Speed/Accel sliders will slow it down.

Problem is that reducing speed/accel sliders then makes player movement disproportionate to the speed of the ball, meaning you can easily pass your way around the CPU. Then you start delving into reducing passing, increasing marking etc and the tweaking around never ends. That's what happened with me and FIFA 12. I just want a good football game out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom