FIFA 13

Anyone else notice how sluggish the defenders are to react compared to the attacker with the ball? All you have to do is move one direction and change to another. It doesn't look like ye old inertia/momentum, it's just very slow reaction in lateral movements. Same issue on legendary.

The only way I can resolve this is by setting the Acceleration slider really high. That in turn makes the game very fast with more arcadey feeling, but I can't stand watching the CPU players (in BAP) just walk in to the penalty area by changing directions all the time. This wouldn't be an issue I think if there was the same delay from the player with the ball, but currently a player with the ball can change directions from side to side much quicker than someone without the ball.

High acceleration (and lowered speed) kind of reminds me of playing PES 6. Bit arcadey but pretty fun.

Edit: And also there are not enough long range shooting for my taste. I play BAP (legendary setting) in a lower league and they all try to pass their way to the penalty spot before shooting. I haven't looked into custom tactics yet, but is it possible to change specific settings to add more efforts in long shots?

Last edited:
Anyone else notice how sluggish the defenders are to react compared to the attacker with the ball? All you have to do is move one direction and change to another. It doesn't look like ye old inertia/momentum, it's just very slow reaction in lateral movements. Same issue on legendary.

The only way I can resolve this is by setting the Acceleration slider really high. That in turn makes the game very fast with more arcadey feeling, but I can't stand watching the CPU players (in BAP) just walk in to the penalty area by changing directions all the time. This wouldn't be an issue I think if there was the same delay from the player with the ball, but currently a player with the ball can change directions from side to side much quicker than someone without the ball.

High acceleration (and lowered speed) kind of reminds me of playing PES 6. Bit arcadey but pretty fun.

Edit: And also there are not enough long range shooting for my taste. I play BAP (legendary setting) in a lower league and they all try to pass their way to the penalty spot before shooting. I haven't looked into custom tactics yet, but is it possible to change specific settings to add more efforts in long shots?

yep. you need to set custom tactics shooting to lots and also edit a few players stats on long range shooting above 80. its the only way. Those players that already have that stat will hit long range shots when the custom tactic slider has been boosted. try it. my post a few up above had some info in.

I'm editor of the Belgian league and every team is set up with their real life playing style. The problem is the difficulty setting, if you play on professional every team will try to walk the ball in...

Perhaps that's it.

I've only played about 7 games so far. I'd say Anderlecht felt like the most unique team I have played.

I got myself a copy on pc, why is it so damn fast?

Also is the pc version exactly the same as the 360/ps3 versions?

I'm not completely sure that it is difficulty related. I played a friendly as Nantes vs Le Mans on Legendary and they were quite reluctant to shoot. They have 50 for CC:Shooting.

The thing is, this was something the demo got so right.

Yeah, I'm not convinced it's difficulty related. I'd set up a League 2 team to play long ball, and on Professional level, they did just that. Then played against them on Legendary, and they became a bunch of fantastic dribblers and played like Barcelona.

What a buggy mess! Three times I've tried to load my CM and it crashes every time so my CM is basically knackered. EA are useless.

So I've tried to start a UT team, the game crashes when I go into that mode and load my game. Now it's crashing when I load my CM. Effectively I can only play exhibition games.

Do you have a gameface downloaded? If so you need to delete it, even if you're not using it it can stop CM from loading, I had the same problem.

Loaded an older saved game which I'd saved manually and that worked, it seems autosaves don't work?

Hmmm. It may be just me, but i may have found a way around speed issue. I was playing last night single player when my xbox live disconnected. The speed seemed to be slower in matches.

When i reconnected the speed seemed to be up again. Do you think connection to xboxlive would do that?

TBH the way their servers are influencing every aspect of the game for some reason I wouldn't put anything past them, it seems the online integration into offline has now reached ridiculously bloated proportions which are even impacting on things like CM menu responsiveness.

It's possible, I don't have the game yet but used to find in old FIFAs that my menus would be laggy when my 360 was online. Maybe it's influencing other stuff too.

Oddly, about the speed thing, I had a quick go on the game at a booth in HMV and the game will have been offline there, I assume on normal speed, and it was lovely. Slower than 'slow' in the demo. Strange. But I enjoyed the pace so much I almost bought it there and then (but gonna wait until I'm done with PES first, or at least until it's cheaper).

When I was logged in to the EA servers the other day I couldn't even load my CM without it freezing. Now that I'm not logged in, everything works just fine.

A question for you guys, how do you create your chances? I'm doing a CM on world class with Placebos sliders at the moment and I just can't create anything. My team mates are not doing any runs and I just have to pass the ball around.

World class is great because now the CPU take shots from distance, but they are also super human. As soon as you get near them with the ball they just run you over and take it from you like it's the easiest thing in the world. Would be nice to find a better balance.

World class is great because now the CPU take shots from distance, but they are also super human. As soon as you get near them with the ball they just run you over and take it from you like it's the easiest thing in the world. Would be nice to find a better balance.
They're not super human, and protecting the ball is not that difficult if you put some focus on it. If you keep your body between them and the ball, don't 'show' them the ball, then they won't go for it. There's also the RT shielding and the contextual shielding when using LB or LT dribbling, if you need them.

It's nothing compared to how it was in FIFA 11.

Does anyone know if it is possible to to change stadiums in the practice arena? I know there was a nice choice in FIFA 12 but I can't find how in 13.

Still playing the demo but one thing I've noticed is man marking is really effective, they seem to mark much tighter than they normally would. If you are struggling to get a DM to play ultra defensive make him man mark a creative striker like Cassano or someone who drifts around the edge of the area. You do have to be careful though, I tried making Barry mark Reus and Reus scored twice against us both times Barry being completely useless at his man-marking role. I'm also using man-marking to force my wingers to track back and mark the opponent's full back runs, they still stand around watching sometimes but it's definitely an improvement.

I want to love Player career mode but, as a centre midfielder, I'm finding the disparity between my team's AI and the opposition's too much of an issue. Why oh why isn't there an option to set my own team's AI level? Why are my strikers always dallying, the wingers not crossing and my defenders not marking closely, while the AI is constantly stretching my backline, finding heads with crosses and shooting first time? Port Vale have won one game in 16 matches and I'm having to carry them or tell them to shoot/pass.

It's a real shame as the idea of working my way through the leagues, impressing while on loan and gradually proving my importance for my club really appeals to me. Having to be a one man army for another 20-30 games in League 2 just so I can become a one man army for a Championship and eventually Premiership side though? Not for me.

Hoping to hear seriously good things about the work done with the advanced 'sliders' in the PC version though...

I want to love Player career mode but, as a centre midfielder, I'm finding the disparity between my team's AI and the opposition's too much of an issue. Why oh why isn't there an option to set my own team's AI level? Why are my strikers always dallying, the wingers not crossing and my defenders not marking closely, while the AI is constantly stretching my backline, finding heads with crosses and shooting first time? Port Vale have won one game in 16 matches and I'm having to carry them or tell them to shoot/pass.

It's a real shame as the idea of working my way through the leagues, impressing while on loan and gradually proving my importance for my club really appeals to me. Having to be a one man army for another 20-30 games in League 2 just so I can become a one man army for a Championship and eventually Premiership side though? Not for me.

Hoping to hear seriously good things about the work done with the advanced 'sliders' in the PC version though...

Ugh, that makes grim, but all too familiar, reading.

I haven't touched BAP mode yet because of the bad experiences of previous versions, which were exactly as you described....very obviously 2 different levels of AI going on, one for the cpu team, and a much lesser level for your team. Your team only scores if you score or set up absolute sitters for reluctant team mates.

Literally a game breaker. And such a shame, because it could be such a great game without the fatal, yet seemingly easily avoidable, flaws. Do EA (and Konami, who are guilty of the same approach) think we won't notice these glaring inequalities?

Back
Top Bottom