FIFA 13

i really started hating this until i finally tried full manual again (havent since fifa 11)

this is so much better.

Our old friend the "goalkeeper undefined 10" bug reared its ugly head tonight, fortunately I knew why, I edited a formation and for some reason it let me save it with two players assigned to CF roles, I had to fix that formation in main menu team management then load an old save and fortunately the bug was gone away, for now :)

I find comparing the two games utterly pointless. They're distinctly different games, it's like comparing an F1 title to a Rally sim. Both technically the same activity, but vastly different to one another.

I'm content at least now, managed to sell my copy in mint condition for just a couple of quid less than I paid for the game. Just wasn't my cup of tea.
that is such a redicolous comparasion: f1 vs rally? umm sorry but fifa and pes are both footy games aiming to achieve realism to the game of 11 a side footy.

Now if PES was a 5 a side footy game then yes it is like comparing a rally game to a f1 game

Finally got hold of the full version of the game, what on earth did they do? Absolutely disgusting compared to the demo. I'm pissed off and unless the game can be saved with sliders/modding I'll be getting a refund tomorrow. Every game I've played so far has been a high scoring arcade fest, playing on World Class difficulty - goodbye to the closely fought tactical battles of the demo. It even seems to have regressed visually, the same setup I had on the demo looks comparatively awful on the full version.

I can also see where the mixed opinions about game speed have come from, in some aspects it is slower but in others, particularly animation speed and CPU build up speed it seems to have got quicker, and I don't like it at all. The demo was bearable, there were moments when it felt too hyper but you could slow the game down, this is just nauseating to watch let alone play.

Finally got hold of the full version of the game, what on earth did they do? Absolutely disgusting compared to the demo. I'm pissed off and unless the game can be saved with sliders/modding I'll be getting a refund tomorrow. Every game I've played so far has been a high scoring arcade fest, playing on World Class difficulty - goodbye to the closely fought tactical battles of the demo. It even seems to have regressed visually, the same setup I had on the demo looks comparatively awful on the full version.

I can also see where the mixed opinions about game speed have come from, in some aspects it is slower but in others, particularly animation speed and CPU build up speed it seems to have got quicker, and I don't like it at all. The demo was bearable, there were moments when it felt too hyper but you could slow the game down, this is just nauseating to watch let alone play.

Yeah - I felt the same when I first played the full version

Quite liked the demo but the full verson somehow didn't feel as good - not quite sure what it was but I started off not liking it and liking it more after playing it more

CM is pretty good but one thing that's killing me is the CPU playing balls over my 2 CBs to its forwards (while my CBs stand and watch) leaving it one on one with my keeper. I'm conceding at least one goal per game in this fashion. Not saying its the game - its probably my defending. Anyone got any tips to stop this happening? My defenders seem to run out of the way leaving CPU attackers a free run on my goal

Quite liked the demo but the full verson somehow didn't feel as good - not quite sure what it was but I started off not liking it and liking it more after playing it more

CM is pretty good but one thing that's killing me is the CPU playing balls over my 2 CBs to its forwards (while my CBs stand and watch) leaving it one on one with my keeper. I'm conceding at least one goal per game in this fashion. Not saying its the game - its probably my defending. Anyone got any tips to stop this happening? My defenders seem to run out of the way leaving CPU attackers a free run on my goal

I'm hoping that will be the case, I need to "relearn" the game after spending so much time with the demo. The early signs are really bad though, it's just the animation speed, I'm getting too old for fast-paced arcade action I need something that my brain can process. Even reducing the build up speed doesn't seem to help, it's nothing you can actually affect with sliders or anything because it's the speed the animations are played at which is the problem.

I have a feeling that if they don't release a patch for the game speed it will be another year with no football game for me. :BORED:

No, it's not just you, this is happening to me too and it's driving me nuts.

Interestingly, I hadn't noticed this issue until I started playing my CM with a lower league team. I hadn't noticed it when playing with 4-5 star teams, and I hadn't noticed it playing single-player FUT (with mostly high chemistry teams).

I'm not sure how pervasive the problem is, but playing with a club that is now 2.5 stars in CM, I'm seeing horrendous defending by my teammates. They aren't marking close, they aren't tracking runs, they aren't reacting to 50-50s, they aren't stepping up to pressure dribblers.

On one hand there should be greater defensive vulnerabilities when playing with a lower-quality squad, but this just isn't fair at times. Especially cause I'm not noticing the same issues with the CPU defense.

Unfortunately, it appears that the defensive AI has the same issues the offensive AI had until they upgraded this year - it's too passive.

EA said that there threat detection programming would be up to the task of dealing with the new attacking AI, but I'm seeing the opposite. Again, maybe it's because I'm using a lower league club, but it just doesn't feel fair at the moment.

I'm hoping that will be the case, I need to "relearn" the game after spending so much time with the demo. The early signs are really bad though, it's just the animation speed, I'm getting too old for fast-paced arcade action I need something that my brain can process. Even reducing the build up speed doesn't seem to help, it's nothing you can actually affect with sliders or anything because it's the speed the animations are played at which is the problem.

I have a feeling that if they don't release a patch for the game speed it will be another year with no football game for me. :BORED:

Actually, if you're just having issues with the speed of animations, decreasing the acceleration slider makes a solid difference. That and playing on Slow gamespeed.

It's not a perfect solution but you can make the game play quite a bit slower (at least in terms of the speed that players move at.)

If I were you, try Placebo's slider settings - they actually make the game a little too slow for my tastes.

Actually, if you're just having issues with the speed of animations, decreasing the acceleration slider makes a solid difference. That and playing on Slow gamespeed.

It's not a perfect solution but you can make the game play quite a bit slower (at least in terms of the speed that players move at.)

If I were you, try Placebo's slider settings - they actually make the game a little too slow for my tastes.

I've tried reducing the acceleration slider but the problem is it seems to affect the defensive aggression of the CPU team, as soon as I drop it below 48 they stand off and let me take easy shots, increasing the marking slider to compensate didn't seem to work. I think it's just going to take a few days for me to find a happy medium, which is so depressing as the demo was perfectly balanced for me. I still think it's a farce that the slow gamespeed option is so fast by default, as someone put it the only options we have are too fast, much too fast and taking the piss fast.

that is such a redicolous comparasion: f1 vs rally? umm sorry but fifa and pes are both footy games aiming to achieve realism to the game of 11 a side footy.

Now if PES was a 5 a side footy game then yes it is like comparing a rally game to a f1 game

Except I don't think they are both aiming for the same thing at all, so yeah, there's no point comparing them. And my example stands.

I've tried reducing the acceleration slider but the problem is it seems to affect the defensive aggression of the CPU team, as soon as I drop it below 48 they stand off and let me take easy shots, increasing the marking slider to compensate didn't seem to work. I think it's just going to take a few days for me to find a happy medium, which is so depressing as the demo was perfectly balanced for me. I still think it's a farce that the slow gamespeed option is so fast by default, as someone put it the only options we have are too fast, much too fast and taking the piss fast.

Agree totally, I couldn't believe my eyes when I played the final version. My main problem though was with scoring goals, one minute the CPU would be really defensively tight, then I'd randomly score a goal that felt ridiculously easy, like it was just letting me score. I got no satisfaction from scoring whatsoever.

As for the speed, I tried altering the sliders but you're absolutely right, they drastically affect the CPU behaviour and throws everything off-kilter.

CM seemed good but then I never tried it long enough to see any of the bugs. And frankly, all of the CM options were going to waste because I just couldn't care less about the matches I was playing.

I really enjoyed some of the FIFA titles in the last few years but I think it now needs a drastic overhaul. But given it's selling more than ever at the moment, will they be motivated to push the game on to better things, or just sit back and take the money?

Last edited:
It's puzzling how the experience can seem to vary sometimes. I played a friendly as Dortmund away at Hanover, and it was an enjoyable match. Felt smooth and balanced. Next I played a friendly as Villa away at Fulham, and it was rather unpleasant. Felt rapid and clumsy.

There's no massive rating difference between those four teams, they're all top flight clubs. The only settings differences were the home stadiums (and associated camera angle disparity) and the weather (one Overcast, one Clear).

It even seems to have regressed visually, the same setup I had on the demo looks comparatively awful on the full version.
I wonder if they've done some excessive LODing in the full version that they didn't have in the demo.

Last edited:
I think it looks the same. Play as Man City vs Arsenal at Etihad, to me it looks the same. Only can speak about the PC version.

What do you mean looks the same? That could mean so many things. If you mean the game is the same as the demo then you are talking out of your backside.

Agree totally, I couldn't believe my eyes when I played the final version. My main problem though was with scoring goals, one minute the CPU would be really defensively tight, then I'd randomly score a goal that felt ridiculously easy, like it was just letting me score. I got no satisfaction from scoring whatsoever.

Yes that is my impression from the games I've played today, I really had to work hard to score in the demo, my first goal earlier was an aerial through ball to Torres who lashed in a first time volley from 30 yards :CONFUSE: I then effortlessly pinged in a 30 yarder with Mata, maybe I need to switch to manual but semi was perfect for me on the demo in terms of stat influence and accuracy/assistance.

The only positive in the full game over the demo is that defenders are more responsive in the box and better at blocking, but almost every other aspect of the game seems to have regressed. Everything is more open, frantic and dumbed down, the CPU attacks with desperation for the entire game - even with tweaked custom tactics. I absolutely hate how the CPU tries more first time passes now, they look stupid when they do it, like an assisted ping pong abuser.

The crowning insult for me is that they changed the lighting/contrast from the demo somehow so my previous ENB settings for PC look like shit, and I'm unable find anything that looks nearly as good, thus I can't even get a superficial kick out of the visual side. Very close to uninstalling :BYE: but will have another session tomorrow to see if I can crack it, but what I refuse to do is go tumbling down the slider rabbit hole and spend hours upon hours trying to find the perfect combination. I shouldn't have to compensate for their shoddy game balancing, a small tweak here or there fine, but the kind of changes Placebo etc. are advocating seem beyond the pale to me, if I wanted to play against a friend or relative the game would be unrecognisable to either one of us.

back to my mini pes vs fifa compariosn.

Well been playing pes all day and had a shot of fifa...career mode..meh wasnt really bothered.

Then went online...BOOM..some amazing fun games.

IMO thats what FIFA brings to the table..human vs human fun it cant be beaten, pes is good to but this is where the fun on fifa comes alive.

Which imo proves how bad the cpu ai is for single player games, its not that fifa is a bad game in 2 player it can be seen how much fun can be had with this base game and engine..

Our old friend the "goalkeeper undefined 10" bug reared its ugly head tonight, fortunately I knew why, I edited a formation and for some reason it let me save it with two players assigned to CF roles, I had to fix that formation in main menu team management then load an old save and fortunately the bug was gone away, for now :)

Well, glad to see my paranoia of keeping everything at default settings for tactics in the front-end squad management page of career mode and choosing my custom formation/tactics only when entering each game isn't a waste of effort.

... and even gladder to hear that it's a recoverable error.

I'm waiting for whatever bug that might occur from having this mysterious 429 year old player on my Liverpool squad that is supposed to retire at the end of the season. He is #9 with a position of ST (so I'm thinking it's some data bug from the Andy Carroll loan), but has bizarro stats and traits. I'm just ignoring him completely and hoping "it" retires at the end of the season without issue. I would not be surprised if it caused the mode to freeze.

Oh well, that's a long ways off. I'm only in December, and I don't sim anything. It will take me quite some time to get to the end of the season.

Playing ultiamte team mode is real fun i never treid before really.

I got a 2.5 star team and just played some guy in seasons with 5 star 99 chemistry team.

Played him off the park lol was 2-0 up and he gave up and started trying to score own goals and bring his keeper out...he mustve been like 5 years old lol what a sore losing twat

Just shows you gaming skill>team stars.....good with the pad dont matter what team im playing with lol

Playing ultiamte team mode is real fun i never treid before really.

I got a 2.5 star team and just played some guy in seasons with 5 star 99 chemistry team.

Played him off the park lol was 2-0 up and he gave up and started trying to score own goals and bring his keeper out...he mustve been like 5 years old lol what a sore losing twat

Just shows you gaming skill>team stars.....good with the pad dont matter what team im playing with lol

Not wishing to pour cold water over this victory, but if the game is anything like the more recent FIFAs, then sometimes the cpu gives one team all the "luck".

I remember in previous FIFAs, a few of my early victories online as a lower ranked team, whipping a higher ranked team, thinking I'd really taken a big scalp, but I gradually came to realise that there is something rather unpleasant in the heart of the game engine where it decides one team will get all the breaks, often the lower ranked team, probably in an effort by EA to not make picking 5* teams a guaranteed win and give lower ranked teams a chance - just too good a chance.

Having won a few matches rather too easily against 5* teams, I've also experienced the opposite, when I've picked a 5* team and not been able to string two passes together, meanwhile some 3* team is ping-ponging it around like they're Barcelona on speed.

It actually became one of the features of FIFA that I dislike the most. Disappointingly, it was equally apparent in 11 v 11 online. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if that crap is still in the game. People used to refer to it as the momentum script - where one team gets all the momentum/luck.

luck? Erm not being funny but you can tell when you play in the first few mins if you are better than them

They way you can beat there players and they cant defend against you, the way he cantt get past my defenders and i read all his moves or block his moves or win the ball.

Its nothing to do with luck. I know when im up against someone good and someone crap. He was a crap player who had got points/coins and bought star layers for his UT. I am a good player who just started UT and had a crap team..in FIFA the player with the pad is more impoprtant than the players on the park much moreso than pes.

Stats say a lot also 60+% posesssion and like 15 shots versus 4...i dont think cpu is fixing anthing.

I played pes MLO and got smashed 6-0 in my 1st game.

The guy was on same lvl as me. He could defend well and read my moves and tackle well, his attacks were well worked, difference was i had master league defaults he had bojan and a bunch of other star players, i had same shots and 50/50 possesion but my players were slow and crap at shooting. Once again though this could be because IMO in PES the players on the pitch are almost as important as the player withe pad. Whereas in FIFA i think it dont matter so much i can play with worst team in game and beat some guy who is brazil easy, in PES not so much, crap teams players to slow, to weak and shots to rubbish.

Then on PES i was Napoli and beat some guy who went Lazio 4-0..I could tel he was crap..everytime he passed i intercepted, everytime i made a move or dribble at him i could beat him, he was easy to get passed..and with players like hamsik and cavani socring was no problems...

You can tell if someone is crap or good at the game IMO there is no cpu fixes on human online games.

Last edited:
It's puzzling how the experience can seem to vary sometimes. I played a friendly as Dortmund away at Hanover, and it was an enjoyable match. Felt smooth and balanced. Next I played a friendly as Villa away at Fulham, and it was rather unpleasant. Felt rapid and clumsy.

There's no massive rating difference between those four teams, they're all top flight clubs. The only settings differences were the home stadiums (and associated camera angle disparity) and the weather (one Overcast, one Clear).

I wonder if they've done some excessive LODing in the full version that they didn't have in the demo.

stadia and weather and nationality of the teams make a huge difference in term of perceived speed. premiership is awafully fast, play in a stadium with athletic track and an italian team and everything goes back to normal.

If i feel that the game is too fast i just change camera setting, zooming out/changing cameras does the trick most of the time. I play with rome on dynamic at the olympic stadium, when i go to san siro i have to choose the default camera otherwise the game is pure madness.

This game has some immense moments: when u pull off a great pass in the space and score a manual goal it is so rewarding.

Visually though it is really poor but i guess audio is more important than visual in a sport game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had another unsuccessful attempt to enjoy this game :(. Even after managing to slow the game down it only led me to realise that the game speed is not actually the root of the problem, it's the animation and movement smoothness, I think because they have optimised it so much since the demo everything has this silky smooth, inhuman floatiness that simply wasn't there with the demo, just dribbling forward with the ball feels less organic and more FIFA 12 dancing on ice, it's such a shame because I don't think this is salvageable for me. I've tried different sliders including Placebo's but it doesn't rid the game of that ghastly feeling.

I believe that, somewhat paradoxically, the demo was better because it was worse: it was less optimised, rougher around the edges, and that is what gave it a more human, unpredictable and realistic/simulation feel. I suspect they also toned down the graphics for the final build slightly to allow for smoother animations. All in all it's a disaster, I'm really, really disappointed because I was so looking forward to the career mode, if only I could import the demo gameplay to the final version!

On the plus side at least it's one less time sink that I can spend doing something more productive instead, I put 56 hours into the demo which at roughly 15 minutes per match equates to 226 matches :CONFUSE:.

Had another unsuccessful attempt to enjoy this game :(. Even after managing to slow the game down it only led me to realise that the game speed is not actually the root of the problem, it's the animation and movement smoothness, I think because they have optimised it so much since the demo everything has this silky smooth, inhuman floatiness that simply wasn't there with the demo, just dribbling forward with the ball feels less organic and more FIFA 12 dancing on ice, it's such a shame because I don't think this is salvageable for me. I've tried different sliders including Placebo's but it doesn't rid the game of that ghastly feeling.

I believe that, somewhat paradoxically, the demo was better because it was worse: it was less optimised, rougher around the edges, and that is what gave it a more human, unpredictable and realistic/simulation feel. I suspect they also toned down the graphics for the final build slightly to allow for smoother animations. All in all it's a disaster, I'm really, really disappointed because I was so looking forward to the career mode, if only I could import the demo gameplay to the final version!

On the plus side at least it's one less time sink that I can spend doing something more productive instead, I put 56 hours into the demo which at roughly 15 minutes per match equates to 226 matches :CONFUSE:.

+1. I share the same feeling and that also can be applied to pes.

if only I could import the demo gameplay to the final version!
I wonder if it could be done with the product.ini. Maybe if it was possible to extract and compare that file from the demo with the same file from the final release? And/or find some commands in there that can slow down reaction speeds and animation speeds.

I wonder if it could be done with the product.ini. Maybe if it was possible to extract and compare that file from the demo with the same file from the final release? And/or find some commands in there that can slow down reaction speeds and animation speeds.

I exported the product.ini for the full version but most of the values aren't in it by default, I think basically the guy found them by examining the executable and then placed all those settings into the file, so the only way to compare would be by hex editing. I'm not going to go to those lengths to work out what went wrong, I know that the APirlo guy is working on a gameplay patch with product.ini, he did the same thing for FIFA 12, so maybe he will be able to come up with something good, but I feel like whatever we do it's going to be a case of polishing a turd.

stadia and weather and nationality of the teams make a huge difference in term of perceived speed. premiership is awafully fast, play in a stadium with athletic track and an italian team and everything goes back to normal.

If i feel that the game is too fast i just change camera setting, zooming out/changing cameras does the trick most of the time. I play with rome on dynamic at the olympic stadium, when i go to san siro i have to choose the default camera otherwise the game is pure madness.

This game has some immense moments: when u pull off a great pass in the space and score a manual goal it is so rewarding.

Visually though it is really poor but i guess audio is more important than visual in a sport game.

I find that games played in rainy conditions tend to play at a nice slower pace but if the next game the weather is clear then its a lot faster

Not wishing to pour cold water over this victory, but if the game is anything like the more recent FIFAs, then sometimes the cpu gives one team all the "luck".

I remember in previous FIFAs, a few of my early victories online as a lower ranked team, whipping a higher ranked team, thinking I'd really taken a big scalp, but I gradually came to realise that there is something rather unpleasant in the heart of the game engine where it decides one team will get all the breaks, often the lower ranked team, probably in an effort by EA to not make picking 5* teams a guaranteed win and give lower ranked teams a chance - just too good a chance.

Having won a few matches rather too easily against 5* teams, I've also experienced the opposite, when I've picked a 5* team and not been able to string two passes together, meanwhile some 3* team is ping-ponging it around like they're Barcelona on speed.

It actually became one of the features of FIFA that I dislike the most. Disappointingly, it was equally apparent in 11 v 11 online. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if that crap is still in the game. People used to refer to it as the momentum script - where one team gets all the momentum/luck.

This definitely did used to be a huge issue. It's much more apparent on Assisted/Semi from my experience though.

Me and a friend played out a simulated world cup once in Fifa 10. We switched teams so it was fair and everything. The eventual winner? New Zealand. An awful team who played worse against lesser teams but suddenly awesome against big teams.

I can't really compare it to the demo because I don't remember but I did say something along these lines when somebody on here said the extent of the speed problem is negated by using sliders. It isn't because player movement itself is still far too quick. It goes beyond acceleration and sprint speed.

Last edited:
So I downloaded the demo again, just for my own curiosity.

Here's roughly thirty seconds recorded footage of the demo (0:00 to 0:27) and of the full game (0:28 onwards), on as close to the same settings as I could manage.

YouTube - FIFA 13 - demo comparison

Very difficult to make any objective distinctions between the two just from watching it, but one thing I notice is that there is slightly less friction on the ball in the full game which makes things feel a bit more floaty, especially when moving with the ball. I swear there is a small change to the camera movement as well but that might just be my eyes. The animation speed doesn't look as different as I thought it would, this may support my belief that it's mostly down to the optimisation and tuning that is done between the demo and retail builds.

The other thing to point out is that the overall difference is as much about how the CPU plays and how the matches pan out as a whole which aren't really captured by a thirty second one-sided comparison. Nice idea to do it though, what were your conclusions after comparing the two?

I'm amazed that some think the demo was better. I just don't get it.

Maybe it's because I didn't get to play the demo with any type of extender, but for me, playing on the Xbox, the full release is far superior to the demo.

Did everyone who say they prefer the demo play the demo with extended halves?

Back
Top Bottom