FIFA 12 Discussion Thread

great game!!!
many great things but you people are havin throuble in being effective with crosses?
i play with crosses on semi but it´s so difficult play this style of game...
most of my crosses won´t find my players...
i´m playing the pc version this year...

Are the challenges worth doing? Do you get any kind of rewards for them? I never play online so I didn't activate the EA online code as I didn't want it to affect the price if I ever chose to sell the game - plus you can still download stuff like patches and virtual pro gameface without using the online pass code.

Challenges you get points for, which I really don't care about. I just do the challenges everynow and again for a different.....challenge ;)) it is good to play with other teams you don't usually play with aswell.

It's a shame you can't go back and do previous challenges, a lot of them I can't do at the time because I haven't watched the related real life match yet and don't want the score spoiled!

Started playing H2H online seasons after seeing Stu having an orgasm over it and it is really good. I can play just manual and I get an opponent nearly everytime :)) just trying to get out of the 9th division only 2 points away.

It really is such a better game when you are playing against another manual player.

great game!!!
many great things but you people are havin throuble in being effective with crosses?
i play with crosses on semi but it´s so difficult play this style of game...
most of my crosses won´t find my players...
i´m playing the pc version this year...

scored a few goals from crosses recently in my career and corners.

Got a couple of 6footers+ up front and good areial, jumping, heading ability.

Got good crossers on the wing too

Must be helping?

As for challenges any on pro is ok but ask me to score 1 or 2 goals in world classs from 80th min lol no chance

Started playing H2H online seasons after seeing Stu having an orgasm over it and it is really good. I can play just manual and I get an opponent nearly everytime :)) just trying to get out of the 9th division only 2 points away.

It really is such a better game when you are playing against another manual player.

Even on assisted FIFA is a good game agaisnt humans IMO.

What spoils the game somewhat is CPU AI on single player but tbh sliders and stuff sometimes its ok.

I've not played this for quite a while but came back to it tonight, and decided to give all full manual controls a go. It somehow feels a lot easier than the last time I tried all manual in previous FIFA games, perhaps it's a little more automated this year. Either way, I wasn't very good but I loved it. Some odd stuff was pointed out to me, such as when your keeper kicks the ball from his hands on semi or assisted, it kind of 'locks' on to another player meaning you can't get a huge goal kick down the pitch. On manual, I was able to use huge, quick kicks to my advantage and perform a quick counter. I didn't manage to score off them but came close on a couple of occasions. The ball physics certainly feel more organic on manual, as shown when I used Hart to punt the ball quickly at maximum power, and used Rooney's strength to chase down the loose ball and muscle his way in on goal.

I'm seriously considering persevering with manual and learning how to use it. Just one question though, how much influence would anyone say that full manual has on stats regarding a player's ability to pass, shoot etc? I must admit I didn't notice a great deal of difference whether it was Wilshere or John Terry when passing. This would really influence whether I use it for a CM, as I don't want to have passing stats ignored. It would negate the need to sign playmakers and other such players in a career mode.

I've not played this for quite a while but came back to it tonight, and decided to give all full manual controls a go. It somehow feels a lot easier than the last time I tried all manual in previous FIFA games, perhaps it's a little more automated this year. Either way, I wasn't very good but I loved it. Some odd stuff was pointed out to me, such as when your keeper kicks the ball from his hands on semi or assisted, it kind of 'locks' on to another player meaning you can't get a huge goal kick down the pitch. On manual, I was able to use huge, quick kicks to my advantage and perform a quick counter. I didn't manage to score off them but came close on a couple of occasions. The ball physics certainly feel more organic on manual, as shown when I used Hart to punt the ball quickly at maximum power, and used Rooney's strength to chase down the loose ball and muscle his way in on goal.

I felt the same way as if there was an auto lock removed from a missle lol...the game felt so much more opened up.

Pity I suck and most of time kick ball out the pitch or to nowhere though haha.

I found that my passing was all over the place on previous FIFA games when I tried manual and that put me off from ever using it, but not in this game, which is odd. On FIFA12 I can keep the ball pretty well, I make the odd really bad error but generally it's okay. Crossing and shooting on the other hand, well, I'm woeful at those so far.

I'm just a bit concerned that learning manual will remove the individuality from player's passing and shooting. I really don't want to play a CM where transfers might be redundant because a League 2 striker could hit a shot just as accurately as a world class player. I'd hope that there is still some kind of auto correction that takes the ability of the player into account.

I'm seriously considering persevering with manual and learning how to use it. Just one question though, how much influence would anyone say that full manual has on stats regarding a player's ability to pass, shoot etc? I must admit I didn't notice a great deal of difference whether it was Wilshere or John Terry when passing. This would really influence whether I use it for a CM, as I don't want to have passing stats ignored. It would negate the need to sign playmakers and other such players in a career mode.

I think the only way to replicate each player's stats would be to play full assists across the board. Take the game for what it is. A great looking arcade game that plays like a dream. Save for a few players I think most play very similarly.

I found that my passing was all over the place on previous FIFA games when I tried manual and that put me off from ever using it, but not in this game, which is odd. On FIFA12 I can keep the ball pretty well, I make the odd really bad error but generally it's okay. Crossing and shooting on the other hand, well, I'm woeful at those so far.

I'm just a bit concerned that learning manual will remove the individuality from player's passing and shooting. I really don't want to play a CM where transfers might be redundant because a League 2 striker could hit a shot just as accurately as a world class player. I'd hope that there is still some kind of auto correction that takes the ability of the player into account.

Some think that if you turn the speed and shot power up a bit you see more of a difference between the very quick and very powerful shooters.

I play Normal Speed and Acceleration on default 50 while the Shot Power is set at 52. You can really tell the difference between the best and the average.

Some think that if you turn the speed and shot power up a bit you see more of a difference between the very quick and very powerful shooters.

I play Normal Speed and Acceleration on default 50 while the Shot Power is set at 52. You can really tell the difference between the best and the average.

I thought 52 was making rocket shots all the time.

But my midlfieders have high shot power and long shot ratings. Mayeb thats why. I kept scoring 30 yrd screamers. So I put it to 51..which is a bit better than 50 but not that much difference. Whereas like i say 52 was pretty extreme....but fun. more like old pes on ps2 where u could score between 20-40yds with players like lampard, gerrard, rivaldo etc...

AS long as its only good shooters thats cool but not everyone

ok tired 52 again and scored 2 30 yrd screamers 1 35yrds actually!!!

and the players only had between 65-70 for long shots and shot power so IMO thats kinda crappy? but 51 and 50 defo are kinda weak. Need a 51.5

I think there is an influence. I don't think it's a coincidence that at the same time as attributes now impact on the game more than they did in 09, Manual also feels more assisted now than it did in 09. I think that's related.

If the influence is not pronounced enough for you, perhaps try raising Pass Error as a suggestion.

Pass Error tends to be more in the factors of speed/smoothness than direction anyway, I think.

Personally, at the moment I have Passing on Semi (with Pass Error 60), everything else Manual. Just to take the edge off Legendary a little bit, which I'm finding is already challenging enough for now. I might move it back to Manual in future.

well tbh I dont like manual shooting but i get your point but for me I prefer semi shooting so I guess I best go back to 51?

If you're nailing goals from 40 yards out with so so shooters then I would say yes. The game is a beast Legendary full manual especially for an old guy like me. Any assists feel like cheating now.

If you're nailing goals from 40 yards out with so so shooters then I would say yes. The game is a beast Legendary full manual especially for an old guy like me. Any assists feel like cheating now.

I find manual shooting to hard,

I might be through on goal and end up shooting at corner flag ha,

I only play on pro nevermind legendary that is harder than world class?

U must be seriously good?

I find manual shooting to hard,

I might be through on goal and end up shooting at corner flag ha,

I only play on pro nevermind legendary that is harder than world class?

U must be seriously good?

I suck but it is fun. I manage to give the CPU a good game. Play 15-20 minute halves never more than 3 goals between the two of us. You gotta pay close attention the first 5 minutes of each half.

I suck but it is fun. I manage to give the CPU a good game. Play 15-20 minute halves never more than 3 goals between the two of us. You gotta pay close attention the first 5 minutes of each half.

I like 5min games as I like my career mode seasons to go fast.

U cant suck if you play manual+legendary

I think there is an influence. I don't think it's a coincidence that at the same time as attributes now impact on the game more than they did in 09, Manual also feels more assisted now than it did in 09. I think that's related.

If the influence is not pronounced enough for you, perhaps try raising Pass Error as a suggestion.

Pass Error tends to be more in the factors of speed/smoothness than direction anyway, I think.

Personally, at the moment I have Passing on Semi (with Pass Error 60), everything else Manual. Just to take the edge off Legendary a little bit, which I'm finding is already challenging enough for now. I might move it back to Manual in future.

Yeah I agree pass error seems to affect how cleanly hit a pass is in terms of the flight of the ball rather than direction. I got a bit fed up of floaty passes so I've lowered that down to 58 or so.

I agree also about playing on manual regarding stats. It's far easier to use than in previous FIFAs and I think I'm going to stick with it. Manual seems to make everything come alive and play far more organically. You have players missing the flight of the ball, long kicks into areas that automated controls don't seem to allow, and some of the goals one scored on manual have been more realistic and random. I'm really impressed by it. I also think the CPU adjusts its defending because your passes are no longer 'directed' into certain passing lanes. Somehow the CPU feels more forgiving but more tactical in the way it defends.

There are definite stat influences there. On all manual as Bayern I played some great stuff and cruised to a 2-0 win with two headed goals from moves once never done before. Next, I played as Accrington v Wimbledon and the game was vastly different. It was scrappy, and my passes were all over the place in comparison. As Bayern on manual my pass accuracy stats were on around 80%, as Accrington they were 65%. All pro players can hit simple passes, but even on manual, getting an Accrington player to hit a ball between two attackers or over distance often failed. So even on manual there is definite individuality there, and a far more realistic experience, so far.

Last edited:
Yep. Shooting's tough. I scored some nice headers holding LT (L2) which normally does a volley, but this time made him do a diving header. Generally though I missed some sitters but it still makes semi and assisted feel so limiting. I guess it just takes practice. Manual shooting seems to enable you to get more power, I suppose because the game isn't trying to 'suck' the ball towards the goal. Last night Gerrard in particular was blazing it over the top a lot.

I was really surprised though by the differences between top teams and lower league on manual. It made the games feel quite different. So manual must be using stats in some way.

Back
Top Bottom