Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Nick,

No sliders. They're still thinking about it but the main concern is making things so fragmented that they can't balance efficiently (I'm paraphrasing based on the look on Gary's face when we talked about it!). I think the fundamentals have to be nailed down before you can put something like sliders in, personally.

One thing I haven't seen properly mentioned is that slide tackle doesn't always slide tackle - you can use it to perform standing lunges based on where the ball is. The tackles for both X and O (I was the only one there using PES controls!) actually hook round an adjacent attacker as well, rather than ploughing through them and conceding a free kick/pen. This is something I noticed more with good defenders, so expect Scholes to tackle like Scholes as well as pass like him!

:TU:

Hmm the new tackling sounds good too, seem to have worked on quite a bit...

what about stamina and fatigue guys? Did anybody mention the constant pressure tactics used online?

One thing I haven't seen properly mentioned is that slide tackle doesn't always slide tackle - you can use it to perform standing lunges based on where the ball is.

Cool, could you give an example of such a lunge? Like Gerrard, jumping in with both feet almost breaking other peoples legs and then getting away with it?

Cool, could you give an example of such a lunge? Like Gerrard, jumping in with both feet almost breaking other peoples legs and then getting away with it?

I googled "standing lunge":

LungeRick-736700.jpg

lol sort of a foot-in-lunge tackle. Cool. :BOP:

And yeh, that sweetpatch link goes into a lot of detail doesn't it? I bet EA tell them off!

Strength vs Skill. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Skilled players should be able to automatically shield the ball and protect themselves simply by turning away of an uncoming defender or simply by positioning himselves between the oncoming defender and the ball. Right now in every Fifa game if you are controlling Xavi and have the ball, an uncoming stronger player will either push you or gain the ball instantly, no matter what you were doing. This is something that instantly kills any kind of midfield strategy and adds to the pressure-sprinting fest.

In real life, if a defender comes running to Xavi, he will automatically turn to another direction and go away, or simply turn around to "dribble by simply turning". This is something skilled players do constantly in real life and that's the main reason why skilled players can skin stronger players so easily.

We need in the game some kind of protection for skill, taht should also be tied to sprint. The less sprint, the more chances of protecting the ball and let the defender go past yourself. You get me. That would make slow movements have an impact in the game, while right now going slow is an invitation to get slaughtered.

So, is there anything that can be said now about this balancing in the game? Romagnoli, I know you like this kind of things in the game and swe've talked about this some times in many threads. Is something like this being put in the game in any form?

:SAL:

Absolutely, its so easy to steal the ball, we just have to run into a player and press :x: a few times, and thats it. Then the game turns into a catch game.

Even if we turn to another direction, most of times defender wins. Its impossible to have the ball a few time in midfield without passing it or running.

There should be a specific time to press :x:.

Other things i'm hoping :PRAY:, but haven't heard yet:

- Long passes and lob animations
- Long passes receptions
- Constant pressure and fatigue
- Wrong/Right foot issue

Basically what I meant with the tackling was as in the pic above (though a bit less shit!). A standing O tackle would stick a foot out to tackle someone trying to dribble past them. In FIFA 10 sometimes you'd press O and end up jumping over the ball and fouling the striker because the ball was in the wrong place for the animation to cope.

The hook tackle will help fix that tackle-back problem too. Say Ferdinand is alongside a striker. In FIFA 10, he might tackle the striker but the striker then carries on running because the ball is moving in the same way. In FIFA 11, Ferdinand would poke the ball back up the pitch and away from danger. Same for the sliding hook. It's great because it means the ball moves away from the striker, and towards your own midfield, allowing your defence to recover.

Getting a feeling of déjà vu... All the hype and news of supposed great improvements coming from Chris and others...

Last year we heard such positivity about FIFA 10 (mainly from people who went to that playtest), saying it was a simulation with much improved gameplay, the biggest joke was that people were actually praising the shooting and keepers on it :LOL:.
The actual game still had the piss-poor AI for single player modes, making them pointless, and online where the way to win was still to play stupid, unrealistic football as in FIFA 09, making them get boring after a few months.

I've no reason to expect it to be much different this year.

Getting a feeling of déjà vu... All the hype and news of supposed great improvements coming from Chris and others...

Last year we heard such positivity about FIFA 10 (mainly from people who went to that playtest), saying it was a simulation with much improved gameplay, the biggest joke was that people were actually praising the shooting and keepers on it :LOL:.
The actual game still had the piss-poor AI for single player modes, making them pointless, and online where the way to win was still to play stupid, unrealistic football as in FIFA 09, making them get boring after a few months.

Good for you..

well said. I'm.looking forward to.pes more than this.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Well that's been an eventful evening of news! Pretty happy with what's coming out really and all sounds very good. Great bit of drama with Romagnoli revealing himself as a insider.

The only worries I have our the constant pressure merchants who smash X to retrieve the ball - Any answer to this Rom? or any bit of info to help us understand if this may or may not be a issue still?

The second one is the finesse shot still to exploitable? I think its to easy to pull off, not many players have the ability to do that anyway as most just prefer to put their foot through it.

Thanks in advance if you can help answer either of them mate :TU:

Well I'm now allowed to say that I went to Canadia back in late April to play FIFA 11.

I'm at work and having to type on my iPhone so I won't be able to get much typed up at all until I'm home, by which time Chris Davies, Glen Cooley etc will steal my thunder...

But, yes, EA do listen. A hell of a lot of the suggestions in my FIFA 11/12/13 thread have been addressed by what has already been released, and there's a lot more on the way in the coming weeks/months. I'm only allowed to talk about a few aspects of the game at this point in time, and remember I did play this game more than 6 weeks ago now! But we'll see how we get on.

Bloody hell rather you than me well done man. I wish konami would do this it would really help. One day with me and they'll have to scrap the whole game. Lol

About the player celebration thing. It's by no means a game breaker and not necesarry to do it when you score a goal but, it's all the small things that add to a product. Me as the consumer expects a videogame to be an immersive experience that isn't hampered by niggly little details that take you out of that immersion.
Take uncharted2 it's by no means a ground breaking game but the amount of escapism that you experience makes it a real masterpiece and as a gamer that is what I look for.

No news about constant press and endless strength. It should be the first thing (fatique issue -in game fatique and accumulated fatique for leagues) to be polished. Otherwise, there is no difference to run with player in min 75 or min 10. There should be big difference for every player acc/ to their strength. Anyway, waitingggggggggg..

Re: Pressure

There are THREE key changes that will hopefully improve this issue.

1 - Automatic shielding / dribbling on the bounce (this wasn't in the game yet but was explained to us so I hope I've got it right!)
2 - Reduced tackling awareness(?) area
3 - Hopefully reduced fatigue, judging by the chat I had with them on the last day where they seemed 100% nailed on to fix it following a demonstration I gave them.

1. When two players come into contact, whether it's jostling for a corner, fighting for the ball down the flank, the target man holding off the defender to receive a ball rolled up to him (e.g. Heskey with his back to goal) or a defender stopping a fast striker from getting round him (e.g when Vidic seems too big to get around), any time two opposing players come into contact they will jostle in an organic, natural way. This combines particularly well with those players who dribble with the ball close up to them - even if you push Messi out wide (as in lean on him so he moves), he will take the ball with him. Think of that PES 2011 clip with the two players challenging, and now imagine the defender actually forcing the player wide rather than just performing animations that look nice.

2. Bad tacklers have a limited area of awareness as far as reacting to a tricky dribbler is concerned. A bad tackler is ok at tackling if the ball is in front of him, but if the dribbler takes a touch to the side then he is less able to react in time, or he might foul the dribbler.

A good tackler has a high defensive awareness, which means that if a player tries to dribble round him then he is more likely to stick a foot out and win the ball.

This is also applied to interception awareness, I believe.

3. We all know what this would do to fix pressuring. Fingers crossed it happens!

@Pessimism

It's up to you. I can't say you're wrong to feel negative - it's up to FIFA to prove it's better in the coming weeks and months. What I'm doing at the moment is reporting what they've done - I'm trying not to tell people what they should think of the changes (or at least, I am from now on!), but what I think of the changes and how they might make the final game pan out if implemented well. Just because the changes exist and they seem to me to be huge steps in the right direction doesn't mean I won't think differently after a couple of months of playing the final game. The exact same is true of PES, and of any game in the build-up to its release. All I can say is that, in my considered opinion, EA have done a HELL of a lot to implement what you, the fans, have asked for, in spite of taking a verbal pasting from "lalala you EA, you never listen you lazy lalalalas" types on the official forums - including death threats.

I just don't see why people should be more negative about FIFA than PES when FIFA has had to build their game and their credibility more or less from scratch at a period in the football gaming era where creating a football game is infinitely more complicated than the days of Sensi, Striker, ISS, ISS Pro, Adidas Power Soccer, Actua Soccer etc etc, as opposed to PES/ISS PE which has been going for more than a decade and has been carried by past glories for the past three years. Yes FIFA has had some pretty shoddy moments of late but that's because the devs have, if anything, been overambitious. FIFA 09 to FIFA 10 is a much bigger jump than people realise, even if the end product doesn't always feel like it.

A lot of what is being implemented this year is coming out of the heavy hits to their reputation with the fans EA risked (and took) by opting to suck it in and stop fixing FIFA 10. Look at the list you guys came up with the other day, as well as Jimmy G-Force's list of reasons why FIFA isn't a sim:

Check
-Attributes being more important; Check
-Stop pingpong passing from being so effective; Check
-More than 1 player per team going for the ball; Check
-Signature animations for star players; Check
-Goalkeeper saves being more unscripted, organic and realistic; Check
-Marking being improved; I thought so, TBC!
-Defensive system overhaul to stop pressuring being so effective; Check
-Improvements to defensive and attacking AI; Check
-MM in BAP mode (not likely to hear about this for a while);
-Easier for players to fend off defender physicality; Check
-Less precise long balls; Check
-Less precise AI which makes the game appear scripted. Think so!

Might stick in Jimmy's list of things that makes FIFA arcadey and not a sim as well, to see how many of these EA address this year. I'll cut out the bit where he lists comments taken from FIFA Wii reviews(!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy G-Force
Check 1. No individuality in the players, and no effort to make that happen. You cannot simulate a sport without simulating what you covert. It may as well be Virtua Soccer on next gen with amazing graphics. The philosophy is the same. 22 players and a ball. Not 22 individuals that collectively make up a unique team.

TBC 2. No first touch. The most important aspect of football and the base for everything that follows. Without this aspect, it isnt simulating football. Therefore it's an arcade representation. Albeit a very stunning looking one.

Check I think! 3. No alternate foot use, or frequency of use. Left/right foot, it doesnt matter. Please tell me how its possible to create a simulation without having such a massive feature missing ? You cant.

I debunked this - it's not the tricks that are ridiculous, but the players are given the tricks too generously - I'M ON THE CASE! 4. Some of the most ridiculous tricks that I have ever seen, and also never seen. Very arcade like, completely unrealistic. It's a football game, not Billy Wingroves half hour.

Not covered yet 5. No emphasis on it's core offline system. MM ? What ? Broken beyond belief which indicates EA are simply not bothered in trying to recreate a decent offline option. Not that it matters really. It's hardly like PES ML where every single player on the database is completely different to the next. All your buying is a name, with extra or lesser speed. Not an individual. Do you think Real Madrid paid £70 million for Ronaldo because he plays the same as Lee Catermole ? Nope. They did it because he has a completely unique skill-set made up from a plethora of technical variables.

Check 6. Fully assisted controls that can be played by a one-eyed short-sighted Cyclops. Or a 5 year old kid.

Check - attributes affect manual play! 7. Fully manual controls that take out of the equation any need for having any individualism. A true 'Gamer's game. A game of button pressing and holding the power bar skill. Nothing to do with the ability of the footballers, just the ability of the gamer.

Check 8. No body balance or angles. No matter what the players posture, the resulting pass has the same outcome. This isnt simulating a footballer. A player off balance should not have the same passing accuracy as a player posture perfect.
http://forums.evo-web.co.uk/showpost...&postcount=842

Not to mention how many people who weren't in the know until today/yesterday honestly didn't think EA would be able to put attributes etc in the game.

With both PES and FIFA it's not about what people tell you, but how you feel when you play the game, and we can only judge that when we play the game for ourselves. People can list what they I'm gunning to get another play of a build whenever I can, and will give more detailed impressions then when I've assessed what is much more likely to be the final game.

Last edited:

Yeah, fatigue is a big issue. Almost no point making substitutions as the guys going off haven't tired anyway.

Some interesting news, though.

However, it's critical that any new inaccuracies they introduce to players (more under-hit passes, less ping-pong, etc) must also be something to which the cpu teams are vulnerable. The 1-player game is, and always has been, too horrible for me to play because of the perfection of every cpu player in every cpu team. If they can introduce the same level of error-proneness to cpu players, then their 1-player game modes might be worth something, at last.

However, my gut instinct is to expect to be seeing a cpu controlled Accrington Stanley playing 100mph pixel-perfect ping-pong-passing football. Prove me wrong, EA, please.

romagnoli when you played the game, how much did you notice the implementation of the removal of 1vs1 lock limit? Did you ever see several defenders jump up to head a ball away?

Also were there ever a situation where both you and your own CPU tried to attack the ball at the same time? Not only headers, but if there was chaos in the penalty area and more than one people had the ball in reach (in both attacking and def. situations)?

FIFA have a very one vs one defending system, so I'm wondering if this removal of the lock is even noticeable or if they still only attack the ball one at the time just because that's the way it's implemented. PES 2010 for example is completely the opposite where it is almost ridiculous how everyone throw themselves at the ball and forget about everything else.

Would be nice to hear your take on it and how you felt/think it will change the game (3 defenders having advantage over a sole attacker and so on).

Sorry Gab, it wasn't in yet. I'd have loved to have seen it, but we saw it in action in a video clip. Can't remember the teams but the ball was swung in from the left, the first defender missed his header but the second one acrobatically bicycle kicked it clear before the attacker could get on the ball. I'm hoping it's in the E3 build..

One thing I don't know for certain is whether it's just for headers or if players automatically move to intercept a loose ball. One of the other articles a fan wrote about FIFA implied that it was in all situations. I hope so but it wasn't clear to me / I didn't hear this being said so I don't want to say something that isn't true. I'd say headers are where it is most desperately needed though.

On a separate note I'd like to say that some of the keeper animations are FUCKING amazing. There are saves where the keeper dives for a high shot and, rather than just saving the ball, actively pushes the ball away, twisting his body to get some distance on it. It gives you the same feeling as that sound effect when you first hit the back of the net in WC2010!

Rom,

1. Do defenders still stand a mile off the attacker allowing him lots of time to gather the ball and turn?

2. Did you get to try the custom net addition?

3. Is the pitch size any bigger?

4. Do swerve passes happen automatically or is after touch used?

5. Can you hit low hard shots from inside the box?

6. Are 180 passes still possible?

7. In the released pic of the ball being crossed, only 2 players are jumping for the ball. Did you see any real evidence of multiple players jumping for crosses?

8. Do you have any details on how goals scored online are saved?

9. Is there more space in midfield to play a passing game?

10. Do your AI team mates make runs toward the ball or backwards into space rather than always forward?

Sorry Gab, it wasn't in yet. I'd have loved to have seen it, but we saw it in action in a video clip. Can't remember the teams but the ball was swung in from the left, the first defender missed his header but the second one acrobatically bicycle kicked it clear before the attacker could get on the ball. I'm hoping it's in the E3 build..

One thing I don't know for certain is whether it's just for headers or if players automatically move to intercept a loose ball. One of the other articles a fan wrote about FIFA implied that it was in all situations. I hope so but it wasn't clear to me / I didn't hear this being said so I don't want to say something that isn't true. I'd say headers are where it is most desperately needed though.

On a separate note I'd like to say that some of the keeper animations are FUCKING amazing. There are saves where the keeper dives for a high shot and, rather than just saving the ball, actively pushes the ball away, twisting his body to get some distance on it. It gives you the same feeling as that sound effect when you first hit the back of the net in WC2010!

Oh it wasn't implemented, thanks for answering. Really hope it is next time you play it so you can give feedback on it, because I wouldn't be surprised if it's not in all situations and only scripted to crosses/corners. Like how they have now with several people blocking shots. It's important that it is completely gone in all possible and impossible situations to bring in the unpredictability and "randomness" of real football.

Great to hear that about the keepers. Did you notice if they misjudged the trajectory so they didn't get their hands on the ball perfectly all the time? And did you see any goals scored where the keeper didn't have fast enough reflexes to get to the ball, like with headers from close range?

Rom,

1. Do defenders still stand a mile off the attacker allowing him lots of time to gather the ball and turn?
I didn't think so. However the defensive lines hadn't been fixed yet - Gary P said so from the off when they listed a number of known bugs with the build we had.

2. Did you get to try the custom net addition?
I only heard about it today - sounds awesome doesn't it?

3. Is the pitch size any bigger?
Don't think so, not bigger than WC2010. I personally don't think the problem is that the pitches are too small anyway, but that the pressuring makes the pitch feel too small.

4. Do swerve passes happen automatically or is after touch used?
It's automatic, based on the player you use and whether it's needed. It's pretty cool seeing a class midfielder swerve the ball into space :)

5. Can you hit low hard shots from inside the box?
I thought you could. However it's also something that's been raised via EA's Dev Task system alongside those higher, dipping shots I mentioned in a thread recently.

6. Are 180 passes still possible?
Possible, yes. But the pass you hit is more prone to error. One of the ways that FIFA represents error compared to PES is in the form of vertical bounce. The ball is hit less efficiently so it loses speed, it loses directional precision but it also bobbles on the pitch, which means the ball is harder to hit first time from there. If you do hit the ball first time from a bobbling pass, then it is likely your pass will be worse still - you have to bring the ball under control. The exception to this is players like Fab who will usually have the ability to bring a bobbling ball back under control. Hope this makes sense, I'm iphoning it again!

7. In the released pic of the ball being crossed, only 2 players are jumping for the ball. Did you see any real evidence of multiple players jumping for crosses?
See my answer to Gab - only in a vid.

8. Do you have any details on how goals scored online are saved?
Not directly, but I assume (and this is a guess really) the game will store the match data on temporary space on your HDD. Ps3 users may have noticed in past FIFAs that you can actually rewind back to the first minute even if you are in the 90th minute; it just takes ages to do that! Presumably FIFA 11 will do this for your online game too. How it'll workon X360 I can't say - maybe it'll just be highlights?

9. Is there more space in midfield to play a passing game?
Not in the first build we played - there was an issue that meant it was quite chuggy in there. It was definitely better for the second build though. I was playing on normal speed for the second build and it was still an improvement on my usual experience on slow setting.

10. Do your AI team mates make runs toward the ball or backwards into space rather than always forward?
I thought so, but it was 6 weeks ago and I wasn't organised to write stuff down at the time..! Not so much lateral movements as people staying back to receive passes (low attacking work rate etc). Don't hold me to that as it is a surreal environment, playing a 50% build in a room full of other people, trying to spot as many issues to raise with devs as possible. If I get a second play then I'll look at this specifically, as well as a few other things, to pass on to Gary. The runs back/sideways are something I raised as lacking in WC2010 after the trip, but I didn't manage to assess it at length at the time.

See above.

Oh it wasn't implemented, thanks for answering. Really hope it is next time you play it so you can give feedback on it, because I wouldn't be surprised if it's not in all situations and only scripted to crosses/corners. Like how they have now with several people blocking shots. It's important that it is completely gone in all possible and impossible situations to bring in the unpredictability and "randomness" of real football.

Great to hear that about the keepers. Did you notice if they misjudged the trajectory so they didn't get their hands on the ball perfectly all the time? And did you see any goals scored where the keeper didn't have fast enough reflexes to get to the ball, like with headers from close range?

I hope the next time I get to play it isn't when the demo comes out!!

Keepers - I think Chris covered them pretty well. The Tranmere keeper is shoddy, but the star keepers get much more assertive hands on the ball. When we were playing the new build Gary asked if we could watch the keeper in a replay of a diving save; it was pretty incredible. Utterly seamless going from the sideways running to the dive, and then pushing it over with his trailing hand. I know you're interested in unscripted outcomes; I don't know how much depth I can go into on keepers yet. I'll have to double check the sweetpatch list!!

Incidentally, I really hope Dave Witts of Sweetpatch manages to make the most of the custom chants and music patching scene that will be emerging over the next few months. Lovely guy, does what he does for fun and not for money/ internet glory. Hopefully once more details come out about the chant patching business (all I know is it's not limited so you could upload hundreds per team if you have the HDD) things will start moving in this regard.

That happens in 10 to be fair, shooting from some angles (if you can get the power and accuracy behind it) can rocket into the net with the keeper looking silly.

I hope the next time I get to play it isn't when the demo comes out!!

Keepers - I think Chris covered them pretty well. The Tranmere keeper is shoddy, but the star keepers get much more assertive hands on the ball. When we were playing the new build Gary asked if we could watch the keeper in a replay of a diving save; it was pretty incredible. Utterly seamless going from the sideways running to the dive, and then pushing it over with his trailing hand. I know you're interested in unscripted outcomes; I don't know how much depth I can go into on keepers yet. I'll have to double check the sweetpatch list!!

:TU: thanks for answering. They'd be silly if they didn't take you over one more time. Because as far as I remember they do have a follow up later on, don't they?

That happens in 10 to be fair, shooting from some angles (if you can get the power and accuracy behind it) can rocket into the net with the keeper looking silly.

I mean more like they're trying to save but aren't quick enough to make a clean save. Currently it's mostly good save or no save at all, I'm kind of looking for everything in between.

I googled "standing lunge":

LungeRick-736700.jpg

lol sort of a foot-in-lunge tackle. Cool. :BOP:

And yeh, that sweetpatch link goes into a lot of detail doesn't it? I bet EA tell them off!

Erm.... u know this is a workout or exercise lunge, right? ie. u do that left leg, then right leg, very good for the quads and gluts lol. But I guess one could tackle that way too...

@rom, I've mentioned before on here that keeper positioning and 'unforced errors' are also two things that are cruicial to keeping that never seem to make their way into the game - ie you will see very often bad keepers come rushing out for the ball on corners as they judge it incorrectly, or on a hard bouncing shot straight at him he might spill it - such easy mistakes are more often why a keeper gets cut than how amazing his diving saves are. Is there any sign that this might be implemented?

Otherwise thanks so much for your updates, I've been praying for individuality along with everyone else and I think this really may really make FIFA an elite game.

Does anyone know how this custom soundtrack feature in Fifa 11 will actually work?

Such as will we be able to create a custom playlist in-game then our music will stop automatically before the match starts then resume after like it does with EA trax or is it just XMB custom music support which means we have to stop the music ourselves before each match which would be a bit of a hassle.

1. When two players come into contact, whether it's jostling for a corner, fighting for the ball down the flank, the target man holding off the defender to receive a ball rolled up to him (e.g. Heskey with his back to goal) or a defender stopping a fast striker from getting round him (e.g when Vidic seems too big to get around), any time two opposing players come into contact they will jostle in an organic, natural way. This combines particularly well with those players who dribble with the ball close up to them - even if you push Messi out wide (as in lean on him so he moves), he will take the ball with him. Think of that PES 2011 clip with the two players challenging, and now imagine the defender actually forcing the player wide rather than just performing animations that look nice.

Couldn't be happier to learn this. Tackling for the most part in FIFA has been binary; you either maintain your dribbling path and hope to outrun the defender or you slow down and switch to a different direction. It's good to know that you don't necessarily need to sacrifice not only your pace but the direction of dribbling as well when jostling against a defender. Being taken/pushed off your dribbling path no longer result in you simply losing the ball so that's just awesome.

A good tackler has a high defensive awareness, which means that if a player tries to dribble round him then he is more likely to stick a foot out and win the ball.
By that do you mean the player does that automatically and not necessarily on command? As it is in WC2010, if you're running alongside a dribbler, a left stick push against a him may result in your defender shoving him away or simply slide in front to steal the ball. Of course the game takes into account of how good the defender/dribbler is and the direction/speed at which you're charging in but I'm happy not having to rely on the tackling/pressure button to take possession because that usually forces the player to stick his foot out which might lead to a foul.

Last edited:

My problem with all of this is that if you go back to the words of Glen, Chris, et cetera, a year ago, we heard all the same crap. The absolute devotion and jubilation at almost every change they've made - and now I see it again.

If this game turns out a failure again ... bah.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom