Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

Re: Fifa 11

Now the obvious thing there is that there's no point to such a system if you can just max up the power bar and control the ball immaculately as in FIFA 10. Let's just say that isn't going to be an issue.. ;)

Can you elaborate more on this?

Good write-up. I have to admit I have deliberately held off from typing up a full impressions report because I knew there were plenty of fansite journos like Chris there. I'm also half Polish, and with that I've been brought up to have an innate fear of saying something I shouldn't and disappearing from society to spend my remain days in a gulag of some sort (thanks mum).

Rest assured that's only in terms of NDA's, not whether the game is good or not!

i think he means if you hit an over powered pass at someone they won't be able to control it easily
Ah thanks for clearing that up.
Good write-up. I have to admit I have deliberately held off from typing up a full impressions report because I knew there were plenty of fansite journos like Chris there. I'm also half Polish, and with that I've been brought up to have an innate fear of saying something I shouldn't and disappearing from society to spend my remain days in a gulag of some sort (thanks mum).

Rest assured that's only in terms of NDA's, not whether the game is good or not!
Well, I wouldn't mind reading your write-up. I'd rather read yours than read those of mags.

romagnoli: You're a goddamn hero!

I hope that the personalities and traits in the game are widespread. it'lljust make the season much more interesting and lead to more cool moments in manager mode/online/exhibition.

Nice write up Chris! Here we go again, months of excitement building to release date, with lots of snippets like this leaked out.

Hopefully fifa11 will be the best football game yet, i for one am really excited by the sounds of these improvements.

The net and socks freaks will be happy but the ankle tapes freak in me is not satisfied yet.I badly want those long ankle tapes you C.Ronaldo wear.
I won't buy the game if they ain't in it

You're serious?

Whatever happened to gameplay?

I've got some fishing nets if you ever need any.

Good article by chris as usual. I miss him a lot in this forums.

Also good work by Romagnoli for keeping common sense and accurate info constantly.

I like what I read, though as always the proof is in the pudding. But there is something crucial for me that I haven't seen anywhere:

Strength vs Skill. Some of you know what I'm talking about. Skilled players should be able to automatically shield the ball and protect themselves simply by turning away of an uncoming defender or simply by positioning himselves between the oncoming defender and the ball. Right now in every Fifa game if you are controlling Xavi and have the ball, an uncoming stronger player will either push you or gain the ball instantly, no matter what you were doing. This is something that instantly kills any kind of midfield strategy and adds to the pressure-sprinting fest.

In real life, if a defender comes running to Xavi, he will automatically turn to another direction and go away, or simply turn around to "dribble by simply turning". This is something skilled players do constantly in real life and that's the main reason why skilled players can skin stronger players so easily.

We need in the game some kind of protection for skill, taht should also be tied to sprint. The less sprint, the more chances of protecting the ball and let the defender go past yourself. You get me. That would make slow movements have an impact in the game, while right now going slow is an invitation to get slaughtered.

So, is there anything that can be said now about this balancing in the game? Romagnoli, I know you like this kind of things in the game and swe've talked about this some times in many threads. Is something like this being put in the game in any form?

Last edited:

BigZombieMonkey at EA official forums has put up a detailed write-up over there:

Another huge impact on the personalities front is that you can now see the difference in the mentality of a player. What I mean by this is when watching Manchester United play you could see that when the opposition got the ball Berbatov was doing a lot less chasing of the ball and spent a lot more time walking. However Rooney was chasing the ball down and coming back further as he does in real life. It's these work rates that really brought the players to life for me as I found it a breath of fresh air to see Rooneys aggressive and dogged attitude shining through as Berbatov played his lazy cards out for all to see lol
The work rates are visible in both attacking and defending and give a whole new life to FIFA as you feel like the players are recreated realistically.

When playing the build we played the power bar had a new addition when passing, a small bar that was a guide of where the perfect pass could be achieved on the power bar. I am not sure if this will be in the final release of the game but the idea behind it is that hitting the white line performs the best amount of power to make a pass reach it's intended target. Going over this bar would cause you to over hit a pass and going under it would cause an under hit pass. It was very impressive as the amount of times I tested the ping ponging and found myself under hitting a pass was quite high. Having said that this did not mean you could not put together a nice quick move but it did require more thinking and it also meant reacting quicker to an incoming pass.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...s-fifa-11-questions-answers.html#post15668351

Nothing much new is being covered there but I did find a bit more clarification as to how the new passing mechanics work:

Fodder007: OK, so this passing power gauge, how does it know who the intended target of the pass is? Say your passing across the back four and you want to hit a long ground pass, does it read that you have overhit the pass and throw in some directional inaccuracy? I'm interested to know how it will be dealt with in manual but I know you can't talk about that yet!

gcooley: Its based on the aim and the power applied.

Say you want to pass to the LCB from the RB you need to by pass the RCB.

So you hold pass longer and within that "long" hold you still have the ability to over and under hit the pass.

Its like a scale that moves with who you want to pass too

So RB to RCB centerback is 30% power with
<20% power being short.
>40% <50% being long.

RB to LCB 60% power
<60% short
>70% long

does that make sense? Obviously you gotta be aiming at the right player as well as its not like full manual.

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/...fifa-11-questions-answers-2.html#post15670876

With regards to the custom chants and music, I hope when you import them in, the game adds some reverb for that authentic stadium effect.

Last edited:

Drek,

The strength vs skill issue is something they've done a lot of work on, but I don't think I'm allowed to say more at the moment. Suffice it to say that players like Messi will be a lot more resilient on the ball..

The easiest explanation for pro passing is to say that it's basically a manual power bar for all control types. Only the direction is assisted/semi, and the player it chooses based on how much you charge the bar up.

I know I've said 'EA listen' a fair bit today already but they really do. Gary and Aaron spent a lot of time talking to us, sharing ideas and explaining stuff to us like semi shooting and the speed settings. Gary came out for a drink with us on the Thursday, pretty much straight from work. I think he got to us at half 10 or so... Doesn't sound like a lazy dev to me!

Last edited:

Been thinking more on the 'Player Profiles' feature and how it effects how the game plays.

Sounds superb, no doubt - but i just know when I get the game, boot up as Southend in League 2 (and same for Chris with Tranmere and Tim with Charlton), none of that will be in effect.

All players will no doubt revert to feeling the same and leaving the lower league games as a midfield slogfest.

To really impress gamers world wide, EA need to ensure they collect good data from fans and then that MUST be implemented into the bubble that exists outside of the Premier League!

Drek,

the easiest explanation for pro passing is to say that it's basically a manual power bar for all control types. Only the direction is assisted/semi, and the player it chooses based on how much you charge the bar up.

Do the Pro Passing sweetspot/flickering speed vary depending on the players' stats though (a la WC2010 PK system)?

Been thinking more on the 'Player Profiles' feature and how it effects how the game plays.

Sounds superb, no doubt - but i just know when I get the game, boot up as Southend in League 2 (and same for Chris with Tranmere and Tim with Charlton), none of that will be in effect.

All players will no doubt revert to feeling the same and leaving the lower league games as a midfield slogfest.

To really impress gamers world wide, EA need to ensure they collect good data from fans and then that MUST be implemented into the bubble that exists outside of the Premier League!
I hope not but I have the same fear, it's going to be the top players that will have these traits and we'll be lucky if it's not the same as last time, all 50 stats across the board for the lower leagues...

PS At least you get to play with your team...:((;)

Didnt they say they had 1700 some odd scouts this year. How many teams are there? One would surmise some of these folks were assigned to the lower league teams, such that they would be able to see what types of players they have (as far as traits are concerned)

Romagnoli- Any word on def lines; how well are they held, are they still way to far forward?

I have to say, though in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters, PES player models look considerably better- tremendously fit athletes should probably fill out tight-ass tops a bit more. It seems gameplay-wise PES will be playing catch-up with their new passing scheme, and how the game moves is still in question. Hopefully they get their act together and there are two football games on my rack:BEER:

Sweetpatch has an excellent bulletpoint style preview up:
http://www.sweetpatch.tv/index.cfm?articleid=6155
This part kind of half explains how they'll get around the strngth issue.

Dribbling

Touch distance (Arshavin)

A new attribute which distinguishes how close the ball stays to the dribbler. Arshavin is very skilled at this and keeps the ball very close to himself whilst dribbling.

Dribble while bounced (Messi)

This new feature means that players such as Messi are not so easy to barge off the ball now and they will start to have the influence on the game as they do in real life. Messi now bounces off tackles and barges as he dribbles along.

Iniesta touches
A new skilled dribble in the style of the Barca magician

This caught my eye too..:
Too easy to defend with less depth and effects the speed of the game – we will explain how this is being addressed

hmmm :)

I really want to see a gameplay vid now :o

@romagnoli: Have you noticed if clearances and in general "long balls" can go further than in the current games ?? I mean you can see in real life keepers/players that can shoot the ball from their penalty box to the opponents'.
The maximum you can reach with the long ball power bar should be increased.This way you could make proper long through balls from (let's say) RB to the LW or striker.

@romagnoli: Have you noticed if clearances and in general "long balls" can go further than in the current games ?? I mean you can see in real life keepers/players that can shoot the ball from their penalty box to the opponents'.
The maximum you can reach with the long ball power bar should be increased.This way you could make proper long through balls from (let's say) RB to the LW or striker.

I agree, and the longer you try to make it the more error prone it should be. The reason they cap it currently is because long balls are so perfect.

Nick,

No sliders. They're still thinking about it but the main concern is making things so fragmented that they can't balance efficiently (I'm paraphrasing based on the look on Gary's face when we talked about it!). I think the fundamentals have to be nailed down before you can put something like sliders in, personally.

Retri,

The pro passing system we were using involved an 'ideal' marker on the power bar and a smaller arrow to show what you'd gone for; these would linger for a bit so you could look back at them as you saw your pass screw up. The question you might want to ask is whether having an 'ideal' marker is the right way to go about things. EA are asking themselves much the same, or were at the time anyway. I don't think the 'ideal' marker was truly ideal either, so it's certainly not something that can be exploited.

The sweetpatch link above is really exhaustive! The bounced dribbling is what I meant about skill vs strength. Dunno if that was ok to be announced yet!

One thing I haven't seen properly mentioned is that slide tackle doesn't always slide tackle - you can use it to perform standing lunges based on where the ball is. The tackles for both X and O (I was the only one there using PES controls!) actually hook round an adjacent attacker as well, rather than ploughing through them and conceding a free kick/pen. This is something I noticed more with good defenders, so expect Scholes to tackle like Scholes as well as pass like him!

Back
Top Bottom