Fifa 11 Xbox 360/PS3

The danger of sliders, is the same as one of the main issues with the assisted-semi-manual debate - how do you make sure that everyone doesn't play on the arcade settings - as let's be honest - patently everyone will if there is no real reason not to. As long as they put those reasons in from the start by design it should be fine.

My worry is that, even if it was only three sets, that's another load of splits this community is already failing to cope with. The FIFA online community hasn't coped with the split of people wanting to play with a variety of teams, or 5 star teams, the split between slow and normal game speed, the split between assisted and manual...

EA need to take a overall look at those failures and improve on them too.
Simple. you know how when you first start the game it asks for your experience? When you first boot the game you ask the player the same question. You want "Pick up and Play" or "Hardcore" And make the player choose between Arcade and Hardcore just like in COD all the time so he knows another game type exists.

Simple. you know how when you first start the game it asks for your experience? When you first boot the game you ask the player the same question. You want "Pick up and Play" or "Hardcore" And make the player choose between Arcade and Hardcore just like in COD all the time so he knows another game type exists.

This. Was actually gonna this as well but I thought I would be beating a dead horse with all this talk of making two versions of the game all the time.

Wouldn't solve anything. The point is that I find it impossible to find a Slow, Semi match using the matchfinder. Adding sliders in, or even something like Arcade/Medium/Hardcore, further divides the possible matchups (or it would if you could divide zero). It wouldn't just divide the possibilities by three either, obviously.

It's a solution EA are going to have to come up with by FIFA 12, in any case.

That evade and turn... did he use the trick stick for that? That was slick. Celebrations are pretty cool. I like the way your team mates interact. Looks natural.

I want to see people actually playing the game though (ie. not messing about!).

Not too impressed by Ronaldo's running animations but it was in arena mode and you cannot tell much from the angles you get playing in that view.

Last edited:
Santiago Jaramillo,this man are one good brothers,his inteligence its out this planet man....no words this year comes the best football game ever made...

Wouldn't solve anything. The point is that I find it impossible to find a Slow, Semi match using the matchfinder. Adding sliders in, or even something like Arcade/Medium/Hardcore, further divides the possible matchups (or it would if you could divide zero). It wouldn't just divide the possibilities by three either, obviously.

If not, "Do EA get sliders?" :D

Seriously though, this is my big concern. EA have ****ed this one up for so many years in a row and they are so far away from getting it right - and I'm still kinda unsure if they have ANY really solid ideas of how to solve it. It's kinda why I like the idea of balancing assisted/semi/manual - I know a lot of people think it's hard to do - but I'm not sure if it's harder than actaully dealing with the oncoming issue.

The ONLY filter which I believe works AT ALL on FIFA 10, is the manual one. Maybe you can find 'slow' games, you definitely can't find slow&manual.

There is the star rating filter which I've never found a game on too. Now, it's partially because the way they 'filter' is designed is foolish - because it's more of a custom game search than a filter. You need to be able to actually filter things out - ie, what you don't want to play, rather than what you do.

If I could say - I don't want to play on assisted, I don't want to play with 5 star teams, I don't want to play on fast game speed - then I'd be happy - and I'd find SO many more people who would fall into those categories. I really wish I'd got that critical piece of feedback about 6 months ago in.

my god, i heard those jinks by (i think its) arshavin were done by the CPU!

manager mode should be actual fun this year haha

I'm beginning to hope PES is fantastic this year, real leagues or not I want them to hurt EA and start taking sales...

Lol, same here.

Sometimes I just don't understand what's going through their heads at EA. Take the new feature that allows us to control the goalies as an example, described over on FSB, which I'm sure many of you have seen (http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/guest-blog-be-a-rob-green/).

Where was the demand or great need for this feature? Why does EA spend resources on a feature that only a small minority will enjoy for more than a couple times? Why not spend those resources on CM or fixing stamina?

That's why I agree with you, wanting PES to be great again, just to spite EA because I often feel like what I want in a football game and what EA want to make are incongruent. Even though PES has been crap of late, traditionally I've gone with the game that better simulates the real game (or at least an apparent commitment to simulating the real thing), PES.

Because 11v11 is the future, it's that simple. Clubs is going to grow, and grow, and without GK control, you can't do 11v11. Not everyone cares about it, but then I don't care about Manager Mode.

I get my management fix on a management sim which does management better than PES/FIFA ever have. When I want to play a football sim - I am fully subscribed to the idea that the best way to play it, is Clubs. Not yet, at all, but eventually.

Last edited:
Good point Rodelero but I think it still is fraustrating that a hugely important issue such as Manager Mode (the story mode/ campaign of any sports game) has been flacid for so many years now. All this while we've seen shit like GameFace get priority.

It actually does make more scratch my head at times. I'd love for EA to finally punish HOMING tackles with the pressure button (i hear they've taken measures to address that this year though) and work on adding more and more incidental animationss to bring the feel of the game together (no more crab-like shimmying when off the ball please).

As it is now though, I feel (as a footy fan that actually plays) that they are very close.

Most who dimiss FIFA of hand aren't playing the game correctly (hate to sound condescending but...). You let go of that trigger and time your bursts of speed and the game is a lot more calcutated. Iniesta is a BEAST with L2+R2 held in Fifa10 (and even more so in Fifa World Cup, try it out). I've witnessed people distroy teams with him with no tricks needed.

That said, in FIFA I still cannot pass triangles around people with Arsenal/Man Utd/Barca without losing hair doing so. It's an issue I'll bring up at the playtest next week. The movement off the ball in Fifa for the next iteration needs addressing. When Fabregas gets the ball watch Walcott in real life. He'll be killing himself trying to find space to recieve the ball cause he KNOWS what Cesc can deliver. Same with Man Utd. I watched them tonight. Any time Scholes had the ball, Rooney Giggs, berba, Chicharito etc came alive wanting ball to feet or round the side etc.Pulling off into space...

That is my major wish for the Fifa series (Personality looks like it's being addressed along with ping pong).

I know it annoys people and I see why - but at the same time I think you just have to accept that, whilst 5 years ago there may have only been two modes, we now have a vast array of things which they are developing simultaneously. Hopefully they'll at least get rid of the ruinous bugs this year.

I'd like them to move further with some things than they will, I'm sure, but I'm gonna at least wait 'til tomorrow to say! I think the issue is we're all sitting here getting bitter - with very little idea of the game (other than the lucky few). In one week, we'll know so much more.

The fact that PES has gone with a beta is an interesting one too - now to force EA into following ;D

Last edited:
Because 11v11 is the future, it's that simple. Clubs is going to grow, and grow, and without GK control, you can't do 11v11. Not everyone cares about it, but then I don't care about Manager Mode.

I get my management fix on a management sim which does management better than PES/FIFA ever have. When I want to play a football sim - I am fully subscribed to the idea that the best way to play it, is Clubs. Not yet, at all, but eventually.

Sorry but I don't buy that. Don't buy that for one second. If you have research or evidence or something to back that up, then I'll happily back down, but the idea that 11v11 is the future and is or will become more important than playing with a whole squad is too hard to believe.

No offense to your idea of the best way to play a football sim, but the majority of fans I know, when they want to play 11v11 or control a single player, usually choose the real thing, and look to FIFA or PES for entirely different experience.

If FIFA go the 11v11 is the future route then hopefully PES stays true to tradition.

If 11v11 is the future, I assure you both games will do it. Online becoming a bigger feature than just 1v1 after 1v1 is everything - MLO is this too. Both of these features are 'the future', and perhaps a combination of them is the future too, an MMO of sorts. Do I have the research? Of course not - but I bet you EA do. I'm not saying that it exclusively is the future, but it will be one of the biggest modes in FIFA in the future. We're a way off that yet for a multitude of reasons.

Already, I know that I'm hooked to what playing as a single player can give me online. The joy of making something work as 5 individuals as opposed to 1 individual and a load of AI is massive for me. The fact that this is hidden behind the UTTER SHIT which Clubs actually is RIGHT NOW.. for me is very encouraging. Maybe some people will never really see the attraction to this part of the game - but I think that once they get it to click, which may be a bit of an effort, a lot of people are going to see the attraction of it.

At the moment, the organisational issues and the insane number of issues are hiding how great it could be. Of course, it's not just 11v11, in fact, most of the time I play 3v3/4v4 - and that means you can have both worlds as one person plays the remainders. There is a world of possibility, and I can't possibly imagine how it will all come together, but I'm confident it will.

Joe Booth, years and years ago, said that they wanted to hold a real FIFA Interactive World Cup. Not 1v1s like now, but, actaully, the 11 best english players up against as many other international teams as possible. This was.. at least 3-4 years ago now.

Don't worry - there will always be a place, and a very large one at that, for the "I want to play as United", or, "I want to play as Rooney", or "I want to play for United" - which of course are represented by Manager Mode, Be a Pro, and Virtual Pro currently (or PES's variants). But there is also the drive to be online - and that will take us to an online evolution of all three - and actually this year, we have the prototypes.

Master League Online
Online team Play
Pro Club Championship

It's there. You have an online manager mode. You have an online 11v11 where you can be Rooney and your friend can be Valencia. You have an online mode where you can be you, your friends can be your friends, and you can be part of your very own club, competing against other clubs.

In terms of generational leaps, this generation has been the generation where online became part of every game, the next generation is going to be taking online to whole new dimensions - and it's happening already. That isn't to say that the traditional stuff is going - it's not - but there will be other offerings. All in all, it means more stuff for us to do, more choice, more opportunity - on the down side, less developmental focus on each part - at least while we are still given only two $60/£40 games.

Trust me, Be a Legend is going to go online in a big way, and, EA are going to have an online Career Mode too. They are too big of features for one not to have.

Last edited:

Not for online. When starting the game, if they implement and actually get sliders right, choosing one of those options will change the sliders accordingly. For online I feel like the game should default to sim sliders or as a last resort, perhaps (like some were saying) give the option of arcade or sim mode online. Manual leaderboards might be a step in the right direction but overall, they need to get the game to play closer to a sim out of the box as the default setting. The question is, are they willing to do that?

If choosing beginner at the beginning of FIFA 11 changes the sliders to make the game play the same way that FIFA 10 did, but beyond that there was a sim mode with everything that we want, I don't see what would be stopping EA from doing this. The casuals and cheesers would never have to see sim mode and they'd be happy playing the same old FIFA that they're used to.

As for the filters, that's an entirely different animal and one that (you've heard all of my complaining) they HAVE to fix. There's no excuse for going from 09 where you could custom search for any number of settings and always find a game, to finding nothing if you do so much as add a minute to the halves. They just f*cked up with the code somewhere and broke matchmaking.

Already, I know that I'm hooked to what playing as a single player can give me online. The joy of making something work as 5 individuals as opposed to 1 individual and a load of AI is massive for me. The fact that this is hidden behind the UTTER SHIT which Clubs actually is RIGHT NOW.. for me is very encouraging. Maybe some people will never really see the attraction to this part of the game - but I think that once they get it to click, which may be a bit of an effort, a lot of people are going to see the attraction of it.

If the game didn't play like such crap in Clubs, which is what you mentioned, I'd play it all the time. I'm not really a fan of the poorly implemented Gameface thing but I guess it isn't entirely necessary. All I do is play BAP Online Team Play with my buddies and the only thing that turned me off about Clubs was the fact that it was all assisted passing, all turbo, all pressure, etc.

We've said it a million times but, make playing realistically actually give you the upper hand, and I'd play Clubs all day. The past two days I've played with a buddy in BAP on FIFA 09 and the guys that we've gone up against were employing the pressure game quite a bit but just between the two of us I saw glimpses of what could really happen in Clubs if everyone was on the same page and wanted to create space, make overlapping runs, etc. After watching the Utd/Newcastle match from yesterday, I hopped on 09 and even though things didn't always turn into a goal thanks to the opponents cheese, a LOT of what we did looked exactly like what you'd see in a real match. Maybe the two of us just work well together but what we were doing will never work against those who are truly adept at cheesing.

If gameplay mechanics stay the same and the future of FIFA really is 11 v 11, then the future is looking quite bleak. Let's see what EA is really about though.

In terms of generational leaps, this generation has been the generation where online became part of every game, the next generation is going to be taking online to whole new dimensions - and it's happening already. That isn't to say that the traditional stuff is going - it's not - but there will be other offerings.

Not too worried about the traditional stuff going necessarily. But not receiving the deserved amount attention while focusing on online because that's what the kiddie love to play would be a problem. If they're focusing all of their attention on that and not the core gameplay (verdict is still out on FIFA 11), it'll be all for naught.

Last edited:
Lol, same here.

Sometimes I just don't understand what's going through their heads at EA. Take the new feature that allows us to control the goalies as an example, described over on FSB, which I'm sure many of you have seen (http://fifasoccerblog.com/blog/guest-blog-be-a-rob-green/).

Where was the demand or great need for this feature? Why does EA spend resources on a feature that only a small minority will enjoy for more than a couple times? Why not spend those resources on CM or fixing stamina?

That's why I agree with you, wanting PES to be great again, just to spite EA because I often feel like what I want in a football game and what EA want to make are incongruent. Even though PES has been crap of late, traditionally I've gone with the game that better simulates the real game (or at least an apparent commitment to simulating the real thing), PES.

There was a hell of a lot of demand for this ever since BAP came out. Not necessarily from everyone, but there were threads cropping up about this daily on the official forums.

11 v 11 is the future. Certainly Clubs, even in the diabolical FIFA 10, still offered up moments of magic that offered up peaks way above both FIFA and PES's single player/1v1 experience. It's just a question of eliminating those troughs that blighted Clubs, which were accentuated versions of the problems with 1v1.

Love the CPU tricks in that video. I know Rutter talked about the CPU actually doing tricks that suits the situation and this just shows that it's probably awesomely implemented. This is exactly what I want to fear when the CPU is coming at me with a high skilled player, to not know what the hell is going to happen. Sometimes they might just pass the ball, but now they actually have the tools to make you look like a fool. Awesome. If they just manage to make all teams and players play a little bit different then it could actually be pretty fun playing against the CPU. Imagine that, a football game where not every game feels like the last one, not even PES has managed to do that.

Around what time is the trailer out today? Have to put F5 down in my calendar.

Edit: Nevermind I see the feed is starting in 5 hours and 25 minutes. Or maybe the trailer is before the conference?

Last edited:
Sorry but I don't buy that. Don't buy that for one second. If you have research or evidence or something to back that up, then I'll happily back down, but the idea that 11v11 is the future and is or will become more important than playing with a whole squad is too hard to believe.

No offense to your idea of the best way to play a football sim, but the majority of fans I know, when they want to play 11v11 or control a single player, usually choose the real thing, and look to FIFA or PES for entirely different experience.

If FIFA go the 11v11 is the future route then hopefully PES stays true to tradition.

Unfortunatley mf, it is the future, both EA and KONAMI will be pushing this, online is always going to be and the fact they can make money from servicing that with DL material too only bolsters it...

For those of us MM players we will still see improvements but I doubt we'll get more than the drip feed we have seen over the past five or so years..

The only thing that would alter that is competition within the genre and there just isn't any... :((

Love the CPU tricks in that video. I know Rutter talked about the CPU actually doing tricks that suits the situation and this just shows that it's probably awesomely implemented. This is exactly what I want to fear when the CPU is coming at me with a high skilled player, to not know what the hell is going to happen. Sometimes they might just pass the ball, but now they actually have the tools to make you look like a fool. Awesome. If they just manage to make all teams and players play a little bit different then it could actually be pretty fun playing against the CPU. Imagine that, a football game where not every game feels like the last one, not even PES has managed to do that.

Let's hope we are out played by the CPU this time and it does not rely on looping pin point passes to players in offside posiosions or full backs that mark the flags...

Shirt untucked, white boots, single digit number, on the right flank; looks like Samir Nasri to me. Whoever it is, seeing the CPU able to dribble like that with skilled players looks great.

manager mode should be actual fun this year haha

Shirt untucked, white boots, single digit number, on the right flank; looks like Samir Nasri to me. Whoever it is, seeing the CPU able to dribble like that with skilled players looks great.

hahaha It looked like Fabregas to me.It's typical of Arsenal, they have many players with the same body type and playing style

Madden's actually taken the FIFA 09 "Game-long highlight reel, high-scoring, touchdown-laden affair" route this year. People are pretty annoyed and I blame Peter Moore for wanting to make everything more "accessible." They've also added a one-button control system to Madden.

This is what I've been saying. They seem to have been selling alright with FIFA 08 and then suddenly, Moore comes in and the suits decide that the game needs to be faster and even easier to play. If people aren't soccer fans, just like if people aren't American football fans, all of this two-button control junk, isn't going to make them suddenly want to play a video game "sim" of the sport. Simply because it's so easy to play now. They sold millions of copies without these changes. Who told them that this needed to happen? Did they focus test 5 year-olds and grandmas?

To ono5985, people have suggested that they create two separate modes, which I think the devs have shot down a few times. NBA 2k11 this year is doing exactly that though. There's default, casual, and simulation "Game Style" settings. What you choose determines how easy certain moves are. Casual is arcade-style play with sky-high shooting percentages, more highlight reel-worthy dunks, etc, few stoppages in play, end-to-end basketball, and I'd imagine that these difficulty settings will specifically affect the sliders in the game (they have to if shooting percentages are boosted up). Sounds pretty close to essentially making two versions of the game instead of the difficulty just governing how much the CPU cheats.

EA should look into doing something like that. Make the higher difficulty settings adjust the sliders and remove things like passing assists, etc. (if they ever get sliders). And of course make it work online. Call it Arcade and Simulation, or whatever. Maybe guilt a few people into picking Simulation for fear of looking like a newbie and maybe they decide that they like it and wanna learn to play it. If not, stay on Arcade.

Yeah, i've wanted sliders for ages. Even if only for offline. Online for me is a waste unless i could play somebody from on here, who wanted to play actual football. As Rodelero (i think) has already said, sliders for offline wouldn't work, because i can't even find a normal game on slow, let alone any sort of manual or semi manual game.

Back
Top Bottom