WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

BroodjeGras said:
I can't believe Romania conceded a goal against Andorra :mrgreen:

What a disgrace. I looked up the result at school and yelled out "SWEET" right in the middle of class when I saw we won by 4 goals.

We need to strengthen our defense, and hopefully Chivu will be back soon because the games against the Czechs and Holland will be tough as shit. Can't believe all the other groups are relatively easy and we get stuck with BOTH Holland AND the Czechs. :x

Portugal 4 Estonia 0

Goals:

75' Ronaldo
83' Postiga
86' Pauleta
91' Postiga

Man of the match: Ronaldo, one goal, two assists. (in the 2-0 win against Slovakia he also scored and assisted, Figo hasn't been missed yet... ;) )

ghazi said:
Rui Costa's goal in the quarterfinals was hit within 2 feet of where he was standing and he failed to stop it, despite the shot coming from the edge of the box.
There is not one human alive who could've saved that shot.
airjoca said:
Portugal 4 Estonia 0

Goals:

75' Ronaldo
83' Postiga
86' Pauleta
91' Postiga

Man of the match: Ronaldo, one goal, two assists. (in the 2-0 win against Slovakia he also scored and assisted, Figo hasn't been missed yet... ;) )

It was against Latvia where he had a goal and an assist last week. Good luck with Portugal winning all qualifying games.

By the way, who's wearing the captain's armband for Portugal in these qualifier games?

loz said:
kEL said:
I have seen it. Savage sent off was just ridiculous! :shock:

First he got tackled, but really tackled (scissored) and after that he got punched. Okay, Savage pulled and pushed a bit but that's a booking if at all.

well from waht i saw he had his hands up, thats an immeadiate red, imo.
After 9 minutes of a match? Referees have got to stop being little jobsworths and stop going out of their way to ruin matches. The only sending-off that wasn't totally ridiculous was the first N. Ireland one. The others were a complete joke.

Lionheart said:
ghazi said:
Rui Costa's goal in the quarterfinals was hit within 2 feet of where he was standing and he failed to stop it, despite the shot coming from the edge of the box.
airjoca said:
Portugal 4 Estonia 0

Goals:

75' Ronaldo
83' Postiga
86' Pauleta
91' Postiga

It was against Latvia where he had a goal and an assist last week. Good luck with Portugal winning all qualifying games.

By the way, who's wearing the captain's armband for Portugal in these qualifier games?

Ronaldo needs a rest

Lionheart said:
ghazi said:
airjoca said:
Portugal 4 Estonia 0

Goals:

75' Ronaldo
83' Postiga
86' Pauleta
91' Postiga

Yes it was Latvia... :oops:

The captain is Pauleta, Costinha is next in line of command.

airjoca said:
Lionheart said:
ghazi said:
airjoca said:
Portugal 4 Estonia 0

Goals:

75' Ronaldo
83' Postiga
86' Pauleta
91' Postiga

Yes it was Latvia... :oops:

The captain is Pauleta, Costinha is next in line of command.

Captain in this game was Costinha... more deserved than Pauleta!

Portugal in this game played so so... it was hard, but after the first one got in, the game went super easy! Portugal won the game in 15 mins!

Results:

Group 1
08/09/2004 Netherlands 2 - 0 Czech Republic
08/09/2004 Armenia 0 - 2 Finland
08/09/2004 Andorra 1 - 5 Romania

Group 2
08/09/2004 Greece 0 - 0 Turkey
08/09/2004 Georgia 2 - 0 Albania
08/09/2004 Kazakhstan 1 - 2 Ukraine

Group 3
08/09/2004 Portugal 4 - 0 Estonia
08/09/2004 Slovakia 7 - 0 Liechtenstein
08/09/2004 Luxembourg 3 - 4 Latvia

Group 4
08/09/2004 Switzerland 1 - 1 Rep. Ireland
08/09/2004 Israel 2 - 1 Cyprus
08/09/2004 Faroe Islands 0 - 2 France

Group 5
08/09/2004 Scotland 0 - 0 Slovenia
08/09/2004 Moldova 0 - 1 Italy
08/09/2004 Norway 1 - 1 Belarus

Group 6
08/09/2004 Wales 2 - 2 Northern Ireland
08/09/2004 Austria 2 - 0 Azerbaijan
08/09/2004 Poland 1 - 2 England

Group 7
08/09/2004 Bosnia 1 - 1 Spain
08/09/2004 Lithuania 4 - 0 San Marino

Group 8
08/09/2004 Hungary 3 - 2 Iceland
08/09/2004 Sweden 0 - 1 Croatia

Interesting article...

----------------------------------------------------------------

Put up or shut up

England's finest egos can't have it both ways: either they go for a blanket media blackout - post-match, promotional stuff, the lot - or not at all, says Scott Murray

Thursday September 9, 2004

'I really hate the media, me'

And there we were thinking the most outrageous dummy we'd see all night was the one Jermain Defoe sold his Polish marker.
So after this glorious nation's heroes thrashed Poland 2-1 thanks to an own goal... spit! Out flew another, straight across a roomful of journalists. Captain David Beckham - operated using strings and pulleys by working men's club ventriloquist act Gary Neville - had organised a player's revolt in protest at hostile notices posted regarding England's brave draw against Austria (world ranking 90). And off they toddled without saying a word.

Couple of things here.

Firstly, any chance of you chaps keeping it up? If you'd ever said anything even remotely interesting or arresting, this industrial action would be a minor pain in the arse. As it is, though, it's a positive boon: with not a single one of you having ever uttered a beneficial word to humankind - and being, to a man, almost completely bereft of wit or personality - the fact that this is one day when your barely articulate musings aren't reverentially plastered all over the morning papers is one to celebrate. Hallelujah, a hymn to this, and long may it continue.

Dave and the lads also seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that any of the gathered journalists cared a jot about the lack of forthcoming bons mots. For a start, the squad's no-show meant the hacks didn't have to spend up to two hours demeaning themselves by traipsing around after disinterested players in fear of missing any pearls. Which in turn meant they could spend extra time at the free buffet, shoving stale sandwiches down their craw. It also made the Fourth Estate's job easier; what a story England gave them. Editors nationwide must be delighted; this all gets remembered come the next round of pay talks, you know.

Still, this is in truth a sad affair. And also an instructive one in what it reveals about the attitude of the England camp these days. The sneering arrogance of today's confused yet cocksure stars - the Dyerfication of our idols - we know all about; it's old news. But the camel will be fearing the next few straws; things have come to a pretty pass when the national team can't be bothered to communicate with the support after winning a crucial World Cup match.

This siege mentality was engendered during the Riogate scandal, when players and manager closed ranks against the game's authorities after a grown man forgot to urinate into a bottle. While ultimately a misguided exercise in hollow posturing, it was still mildly amusing to witness the foot soldiers take it to The Man. But it's less entertaining now they've extrapolated this bolshiness into an unerring belief that they're above any sort of criticism.

Surely they understand the simple fact that the dissing of players and managers is all part of the dance? In the same way a paying spectator is allowed to critique a player's skillset and application as loudly and as trenchantly from the sidelines as she likes, so journalists must opine pretty much as they please. When a player performs badly, they make a case for the prosecution. On very many occasions, yes, they go wildly over the top. Then again, when a striker simply does his job by scoring a couple of goals in a summer tournament, the sort of proportion-free press deification that results has been known to hasten £27m transfers to Manchester United. It's brickbats and bouquets.

Perhaps there's one way to settle this. It would be nice to think the next time England perform brilliantly, the papers would, en masse, not bother covering the result - no match reports, no marks-out-of-ten ratings, no comment - and gauge how the players react when nobody's talking about how good they were. But of course that's never going to happen (the en masse boycott, that is, not the performing brilliantly bit).

Hmm. How about this instead? If the players really want newspapers and magazines to stop bemoaning their brave efforts, the press should indeed desist. Never again should a single critical word be printed. But if the hacks relinquish their platform for free speech, so must the players. And no half measures; that means a blanket interview blackout.

This would sadly put an end to many media events, for example ones organised by players' personal sponsors, where journalists are granted one-to-one interviews in exchange for product placements. It may mean waving goodbye to those lucrative boot deals, razor-blade promotions and computer-game tie-ins... but what price a principle, lads, eh? Eh?

loz said:
well from waht i saw he had his hands up, thats an immeadiate red, imo.
I used to think this as well, but the ruling is 'violent conduct', it's not simply if you raise your hands you're off which is a common misconception. Savage looked to me as if he grabbed him by the shirt, I thought it was harsh and that the referee should have taken into consideration Michael Hughes had just tried to assasinate him ;).

As for the media thing, I think it serves the media right. Someone on another messageboard made the point that to the media England are either 'world-class' or 'total shite', there's no in-between which is in reality exactly where they are. Heard the Sun took a donkey out to Poland to have a go at David James FFS. And then you have the Wayne Rooney thing, they build him up in a series of interviews as a great young man with a bright future, and then spend a week picking him apart for allegedly going to a pro.

The English media are a joke.

I personally think much of the press here is abysmal, but for the footballers, they are their most valuable form of income. They act as one giant PR machine - would Beckham be anywhere near as famous as he is if the press hadn't taken him under their wing? (After previously vilifying him - he managed to forgive them very quickly). Not to mention the ridiculous columns that some of them have, getting paid millions to express tired vacuous thoughts in the very papers they seem to hate so much.

They both use each other, but in this case, they have bitten the hand that feeds and I expect some very serious repercussions unless they make ammends. I'm sure they have a lot of material in reserve that they can use on Beckham and Co.

And besides, what did the Guardian or the Telegraph do that was so out of order? They were angry with the Sun, so why not just ignore the Sun?

I'm all for teaching the Press a lesson, but I don't think a bunch of moron footballers are the people best able to do it.

T Butcher fan said:
I personally think much of the press here is abysmal, but for the footballers, they are their most valuable form of income. They act as one giant PR machine - would Beckham be anywhere near as famous as he is if the press hadn't taken him under their wing? (After previously vilifying him - he managed to forgive them very quickly). Not to mention the ridiculous columns that some of them have, getting paid millions to express tired vacuous thoughts in the very papers they seem to hate so much.

They both use each other, but in this case, they have bitten the hand that feeds and I expect some very serious repercussions unless they make ammends. I'm sure they have a lot of material in reserve that they can use on Beckham and Co.

And besides, what did the Guardian or the Telegraph do that was so out of order? They were angry with the Sun, so why not just ignore the Sun?

I'm all for teaching the Press a lesson, but I don't think a bunch of moron footballers are the people best able to do it.

Yeah, what he said.

They're all too thick to realise that the media have made football the cash-rich whore-fest that it is today, and have consequently been the main contributors to the size of their grossly inflated salaries, albeit indirectly.

With all that strike bollocks after Ferdinand fucked up, and now this, somone needs to teach the whole fucking miserable bunch of them a lesson. Sadly their wet blanket of a manager seems to let them pick their own tactics, so he's unlikely to be administering any hard-line discipline. A total lack of press coverage would be fantastic, but I can't see it happening to be honest.

hate to see this kind of stuff: Wales midfielder Robbie Savage has said that he is seriously considering quitting international football. The 29-year-old Birmingham player said that the red card shown to him during the 2-2 draw against Northern Ireland was "an absolute joke". Calling it the "lowest point in his career", Savage will not be an option for Wales manager Mark Hughes against England on October the 9th.

-fb

i care lol we need him as we are not exactly blessed with decent players!

i think he was just emotional at the time and will not actually quit wales, but you never know...

Tottenham Hotspur striker Jermain Defoe has expressed that he cannot "explain the buzz" he is feeling after scoring his first goal for England's senior side. The World Cup qualifier's match against Poland was Defoe's first full debut for his country, and scoring the goal completed a night that he'll "never forget"

This was the breaking of the ice of the English players' boycott of the use of the media after their brief media blackout.

-fb

Re: World Cup 2006 Germany: Qualifiers Thread

once again news from White Hart Lane. Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson has impressed his pundits with his impressive play, including a recent 0-0 draw with Chelsea, extending a streak of five matches with conceding only two goals. Robinson's good form has been considered to be a good way to catch the eye of England skipper Sven Goren Eriksson. This could mean the 25-year-old will start for the second consecutive match after earning a place in the first 11 in England's recent World Cup qualifier against Poland.

-fb

here are the matches that catch my eye:

england - wales: ought to be a classic encouter no matter what happens

czech rep - romania: let's see how the czech perform, once again without nedved, as we saw in the rematch against the dutch, they just couldnt pull out a victory

ukraine - greece: the mighty greeks have a lot of ground to make up after only picking up 1 point in two matches. the ukranians will look to make life miserable for the european champions

france - ireland: any match with the french will catch my eye, just because they are infamous to be unpredictable. both have 4 points in a pair of matches

finally, slovenia - italy: look for an upset. why? just because ;). but to be serious, the slovenes have 4 in 2, and the italians 6 in 2, so it should be interesting

-fb

Sven names squad
Sunday, 03 October 2004.
England Head Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson has named his 23-man party to face Wales and Azerbaijan in this month's vital World Cup qualification double-header.

Sven's men face Wales at Old Trafford on Saturday 09 October before travelling away for a first ever meeting with Azerbaijan four days later.

The England manager will no doubt be boosted by the return of three key players in Rio Ferdinand, Sol Campbell and of course Wayne Rooney as England look to pick up crucial World Cup qualification points.

In addition to the 23 players named, Wayne Bridge will have treatment at Chelsea this week and later in the week Sven will re-assess the situation to see if he will be fit enough to join the squad.

England squad

David James
Paul Robinson
Robert Green
John Terry
Rio Ferdinand
Ledley King
Sol Campbell
Ashley Cole
Gary Neville
Phil Neville
Jamie Carragher
Nicky Butt
Owen Hargreaves
Joe Cole
Frank Lampard
Jermaine Jenas
David Beckham
Sean Wright Phillips
Wayne Rooney
Alan Smith
Michael Owen
Jermain Defoe
Darius Vassell

----

good to see that Emile isnt in it again :)

no major suprises

looks downright perfect. good to see green, SWP and jenas in it again.

just curious, what ever happened to dyer?

-fb

footieBalla said:
ukraine - greece: the mighty greeks have a lot of ground to make up after only picking up 1 point in two matches. the ukranians will look to make life miserable for the european champions

Why don't you talk honest? Ukraine will probaply win us easily.

Qualifying for 09/10/2004 and 13/10/2004
Group 1

Finland - Armenia
Czech Republic - Romania
Macedonia - Netherlands
Andorra - Macedonia
Armenia - Czech Republic
Netherlands - Finland

Group 2

Ukraine - Greece
Turkey - Kazakhstan
Albania - Denmark
Ukraine - Georgia
Denmark - Turkey
Kazakhstan - Albania

Group 3

Luxembourg - Russia
Slovakia - Latvia
Liechtenstein - Portugal
Portugal - Russia
Luxembourg - Liechtenstein
Latvia - Estonia

Group 4

Cyprus - Faroe Islands
Israel - Switzerland
France - Rep. Ireland
Cyprus - France
Rep. Ireland - Faroe Islands

Group 5

Slovenia - Italy
Scotland - Norway
Belarus - Moldova
Italy - Belarus
Moldova - Scotland
Norway - Slovenia

Group 6

Azerbaijan - Northern Ireland
England - Wales
Austria - Poland
Wales - Poland
Northern Ireland - Austria
Azerbaijan - England

Group 7

Bosnia - Serbia Montenegro
Spain - Belgium
Serbia Montenegro - San Marino
Lithuania - Spain

Group 8

Malta - Iceland
Croatia - Bulgaria
Sweden - Hungary
Bulgaria - Malta
Iceland - Sweden

vespa said:
Why don't you talk honest? Ukraine will probaply win us easily.

why dont i talk honest? because i truly believe the greeks have a fighting chance, i think theyre a quality side.

-fb

Scotland-Norway should be good. It's a sell-out crowd for some reason (I mean, who the hell goes to watch Norway?? :D), and hopefully we can get a win. Well, actually, we need a win or Berti will be killed. Yes.

Back
Top Bottom