WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

super mick mcarthy said:
I wish Beckham wasnt fit :x

How bad has he got to play before Wright Phillips is given a chance

Quite simple really to get the MAX out of the team in regards speed and passing!

You play 3-5-2 with Wright Phillips outside Beckham!

You then have Gerrard in the centre lampard on the left of the 3 and Cole outside Left!

This would so work and you would maximise Beckham as he hates the right and you have the 3 best English passers running the game.

You cant blame Beckham blame Sven as Scholes quit for this very reason the team cant pass!

:mrgreen:

HT - Faroes 0-1 France (Giuly 32')

It's taken France a whole thirty-two minutes to break down the battling defence of the Faroes. We can come back from this and win. I know it.

Sven's a cock. All of world football is moving away from a rigid 4-4-2 structure, and yet despite the fact that England just don't have the players to play this way, he refuses to even try anything else.

Only Arsenal seem to be able to play 4-4-2 well currently, but they have an excellent left-winger and players who can pass accurately. 3-5-2 is the obvious choice with the players available, and the fact that he's never even tried it shows how fucking clueless he is.

I really hope England lose tonight because while the group will be easily salvageable, it'll surely be curtains for Sven. Odds on Bobby Robson to take over? ;)

I think the reason Sven sticks to 4-4-2 is because he doesnt have the players together for long, and it can be hard trying to get them to play a different way in the little time they are together. I agree we should try and play with a 3-5-2 formation, but it wont happen while we have Sven in charge.

As for we dont have players to play an accurate passing game i think thats BS, i think every player in the EPL should be able to pass the ball precisely, so that cant be used as an excuse . . .i mean even my sunday league side can pass the ball well!

I'm surpised you say England can pass the ball well when there's so much evidence to the contrary. Think back to France and Portugal in the Euros, or Argentina at the World Cup. Think about how easily and frequently England surrendered possession through misplaced passes. Gerrard still gambles on 40-yard Hollywood passes far too often, and there's a general inability to keep things short and simple when the pressure's on.

As for confusion being caused by a new system, I wouldn't expect things to gel instantly. However the fact remains that we're in a group that we should top easily, and we should be able to experiment in the home games without too much worry, bar Wales. And if we can't beat the likes of Poland and Austria at home, even with an unfamiliar formation, then frankly we don't deserve to be at the World Cup. These are supposedly top-drawer players who should be able to cope with a different formation without going to pieces.

I dont think you can say we pass the ball well just because we dont show good movement and try and get players in attacking area's, that i think is why we dont keep the ball well. And as for Gerrard, well i've always had that doubt about him, although he doesnt do it as much for England as he does for Liverpool.

But we have players playing i top quality sides that keep the ball well in europe, i truely believe the reason for a diff showing at int level is because of the tactics, not that the players can pass the ball . . .

And yeah i agree we should try diff formations, i was just trying to give you a reason as to why Sven might not think, or want, to try it . .

foxrocks other than your comment about Sven being a cock I pretty much agree with you 100%, certainly about 442 being wrong, I said a couple of pages back we should try 352, Cole or Bridge on the left and Wright-Philips on the right gives us the perfect flexibility to switch betwen 532 and 352 as the game dictates. Also agree about our passing and retaining posession, it's been abysmal for quite some time.

Did Paul Robinson play in Leeds champions league odyssey in 2001 or was it nigel Martyn?

352 is perfect as you have Becks,Lamps and Stevie G in positions they WANT 2 play central midfield!

Also Wright Phillps and Cole can play as wing backs!

Add to the Campbell, Rio and Terry as centre backs you laughing!

;)

O and he had DROPPED James!

FINALLY!

cal-neva said:
Did Paul Robinson play in Leeds champions league odyssey in 2001 or was it nigel Martyn?

I know Robbo played in some of the games, but i think he came in half way thru when Martyn got injured . .

Poor Faroes. We could have done it.

FT Faroes 0-2 France (Giuly, Cissé)

Patrick Viera was sent off shortly after the second half restarted but the advantage wasn't enough to able the Faroes to equalise. Instead, Djibril Cissé doubled the French goal advantage after 73 minutes.

Another loss for the Faroes in the end but albeit a more respectable one than against Switzerland on Saturday.

foxtrot said:
Poor Faroes. We could have done it.

FT Faroes 0-2 France (Giuly, Cissé)

Patrick Viera was sent off shortly after the second half restarted but the advantage wasn't enough to able the Faroes to equalise. Instead, Djibril Cissé doubled the French goal advantage after 73 minutes.

Another loss for the Faroes in the end but albeit a more respectable one than against Switzerland on Saturday.

still a poor result for france considering the quality of both teams!
and that draw against israel on home ground is not a very good start!

France better get their game right soon, or they might lose their train to WC, althought the group is easy!

Slovakia - Liechtenstein
7 - 0
GOALS
Robert Vittek 15
Miroslav Karhan 41
Robert Vittek 59
Robert Vittek (pen) 81
Szilard Nemeth 84
Marek Mintal 85
Radoslav Zabavnik 90

Vittek is a damn football god :freak: :cheers:

czech just lost to holland 2-0 :x for the first time in four matches... brazil and germany ended 1-1?

Finally we beat the Chzechs. Undeserved, I must say. Chzechs should've gotten a penalty, but they didn't, and because of a huge defense mistake shortly after, Van Hooijdonk scored his second. They whare missing some of their greatest players though, but it's still 3 points! :D

Lionheart said:
I wouldn't blame James, the game vs. Austria was just not his day. He did fabulous for England in Euro 2004. Until Robinson gets used to the big time, James is the best England have got right now.

I say bring Robinson in now. James has made a blunder is every single game I have seen him play in at the national level. Every one. He is the most accident prone goalie in my memory.

I thought he was the worst player at the Euros for England. The Zizou goal off the free kick was in his area and he failed to move his legs (just like Pauleta's free kick from the friendly before the Euros). Rui Costa's goal in the quarterfinals was hit within 2 feet of where he was standing and he failed to stop it, despite the shot coming from the edge of the box. He let in numerous deadball goals, which he should have had.

Not only that, but he failed to handle several balls that should have been scooped up efficiently.

James just doesnt make the right decisions, his feet dont move nearly enough, and he seems to brain fart at the most important moments.

At least with Robinson, you get at least an average keeper, but possibly a very good one. . . . That is more than James can ever be considered IMO.

Scotland 0-0 Slovenia

A tremendous first half by Scotland in which the game should have been dealt with. The second half was Slovenias who had some great chances but failed to capitalise on them. They'll be the happier of the two teams with 1 point away from home.
A clean sheet for Scotland and a point. Slightly disappointing but considering what we're used to, it's not the worst of starts in our Qualifying campaign.

Norway drew 1-1 with Belarus at home. Italy scraped past Moldova 1-0. Italy out in front with 6 points in Group 6, Slovenia on 4, Norway, Belarus and Scotland all on 1 point.

I can't believe Romania conceded a goal against Andorra :mrgreen:

to be fair kirkland is a far more talented keeper than anyone else we have at the minute by quite a long way. if it wasnt for his injuries he would probably be no 1 for both club and country but untill he sorts that out its gotta be robbo imo.

what a goal by defoe tonight though, when rooney comes back hes got to start but owens might struggle to keep his place unless he sorts him self out.

were postigas goals any good ?

loz said:
Anyone see the Wales-N Ireland game? Sounds like it was a stonker!

god what a night!
full of highs and lows it was the most unbelievable game i have ever been at :shock:
it was the best atmoshere in a footy match i have ever experienced (with the
Wales 2 - 1 Italy game a very close second)

a quick question on it: did Savage deserve to get sent off?
sorry to sound like Mr Wenger but i didnt see the full incident, i saw a harsh tackle on him by Hughes (correct me if i am wrong) then all hell broke loose and i didnt see if he did (or indeed did not retaliate)

I only caught a snippet on the news, but it looked like Savage gave as good as he got to me.

I have seen it. Savage sent off was just ridiculous! :shock:

First he got tackled, but really tackled (scissored) and after that he got punched. Okay, Savage pulled and pushed a bit but that's a booking if at all.

kEL said:
I have seen it. Savage sent off was just ridiculous! :shock:

First he got tackled, but really tackled (scissored) and after that he got punched. Okay, Savage pulled and pushed a bit but that's a booking if at all.

well from waht i saw he had his hands up, thats an immeadiate red, imo.

Back
Top Bottom