WC06 Qualifiers' and Internationals' Thread (June 5th Results)

Re: World Cup 2006 Germany: Qualifiers Thread

cmon fletcher!!

can someone post up the potential starting 11 for berti vogt's side? paul dickov or no?

-fb

No-one's really sure what the line-up is going to be yet. Fletcher, McFadden and Ferguson are all in, which is good news, but there have been lots of players pulling out through injury. Quashie in particular will be missed.

Vogts will have to decide between Marshall or Gordon for goals again, as well, which could be quite a difficult choice to make.

oh alright, whatever, should be a great match no matter what

just got news:

Defoe hints at three-pronged attack

excerpt
With Michael Owen coming through a full training session unscathed, Sven-Goran Eriksson might have been pondering who to omit out of the former Liverpool star, Defoe and teenage wonderboy Wayne Rooney.

Strictly on form, Owen would have missed out but that move would have robbed Eriksson of the most prolific striker in his squad.

Instead, it seems the Swede has decided to play all three, retaining the partnership between Owen and Defoe which proved unstoppable in Poland a month ago, while slotting the fit-again Rooney into the tip of the diamond where now-retired Paul Scholes would have been.

============================================

... this could be good! england in a 3-4-3 formation?! this could get better and make england international matches much more entertaining:

---------------Robinson--------------
-------Ferdy--King-Campbell-------
SWP---------------------------Ashley
----------------------Lampard-------
-----------Becks---------------------
---------------------------------------
----------------Rooney--------------
-----------Defoe----Owen-----------

mmm tantalizing (gerrard isnt there, hes injured no?)

-fb

Sweden has to win tomorrow! we lost against Croatia at home 0-1 on a free kick. We got hungary at home who shouldn't be a big problem. But I feel there's something with the team, I can't say what it is but it's making me feel uncomfortable. I hope it's nothing though and that we win 3-0, with a Zlatan or Henrik Hattrick.

footieBalla said:

-fb

Yeah broke a bone in his foot against Chelsea?

So we're playing 3 at the back? I said we should do that ages ago :)

yea well, dont know what SGE will do until matchday, then we'll see what's effective

and Canniggia, ive a feeling sweden's gonna get three points there

-fb

footieBalla said:
... this could be good! england in a 3-4-3 formation?! this could get better and make england international matches much more entertaining:

---------------Robinson--------------
-------Ferdy--King-Campbell-------
SWP---------------------------Ashley
----------------------Lampard-------
-----------Becks---------------------
---------------------------------------
----------------Rooney--------------
-----------Defoe----Owen-----------

I supposes SWP is Shaun Wright-Phillips, isn't?; I believed Gary Neville would be holder.
And is true, Steven Gerrard is injured.
icon13.gif

no i think the general consensus is that SWP will displace gary, which is sad... unless i am other wise notified

-fb

footieBalla said:
no i think the general consensus is that SWP will displace gary, which is sad... unless i am other wise notified

-fb
Nah. Sven has a habit of sticking with his more established players. He will also play two cenre defenders (more than likely Rio and Sol), with Neville and Cole in their usual postions.

One thing that I find interesting is if Beckham drifts into the centre too much (which he has been doing lately), he may leave Neville exposed to Giggs. And if some unknown left-wingers from poor-footballing counties can expose this then Giggs will have a field day.

grav3digg3r said:
what about terry, why won't he play!? he's great!
Mmm... it's true, Is Terry injured too?

Slovakia Latvia
3:1
GOALS
Maris Verpakovskis 3
Szilard Nemeth 48
Lubomir Reiter 51
Miroslav Karhan 56

82.minute:)

Portugal got held 2-2.

ah....crap...Croatia vs. Bulgaria 2:2 :( it was 2:0 .... ](*,) well,only Croatia can do that :applause: :salute: :thumbup:

Ireland played great, should have had a PK and Barthez red card in final minutes too...

ClassicD said:
Ireland played great, should have had a PK and Barthez red card in final minutes too...
Good shout there CD. I thought Ireland controlled most of the game, had a few chances and maybe could have snuck it - dont forget O'Shea's chance, which wasnt that easy as he didnt see it til late but was a chance nonetheless.

A draw was probably a fair result in the end though.

beckham, wow, its been a while, as a matter of fact since CL 02-03 quarter finals have i seen becks play soo well
good on becks and wales has now just a lot of catching up to do

(funny booking david got though huh? retaliation, oh when will he learn)

-fb

Last edited by a moderator:

Lionheart said:
Portugal got held 2-2.

By the mighty Liechtenstein...i find this quite funny...in fact i really like Portugal football, but after the unfair reactions of several Portugese forum members towards Greece, i find this highly amusing...
Face it guys, your national are one of the best teams in the world...on paper, on the pitch they are massive underachievers.

I guess Liechtenstein played negative football Mauras????

hm, ireland played quite well last night. i thought kilbane was excellent! the tackling he was putting in! (never thought id hear myself say that). itll be a different story for the return leg though, with viera and giuly back.

i like what kerr has done, they seem really organised without losing the team spirit. reminds me of eddie o sullivan and the rugby team. quiet confidence.

i also just want to point out, i was the one who said the slovenes were going to upset the italians; and guess who's right again :D

-fb

Incredible Liechtenstein, deception for Portugal.

Here, in South America:
Argentina 4-2 Uruguay
Bolivia 1-0 Perú
Colombia 1-1 Paraguay
Venezuela 2-5 Brazil

and today: Ecuador - Chile

Soccernet.com said:
Beckham suffers hairline rib fracture

England skipper David Beckham suffered a hairline fracture to one of his ribs during England's 2-0 win over Wales at Old Trafford, X-rays revealed late on Saturday.

An FA spokeswoman confirmed that a second set of X-rays revealed the extent of the injury after an earlier set appeared to give him the all-clear.

But it was not immediately clear how long the injury would sideline him for.

Beckham had an afternoon to remember back at Old Trafford where he spent more than a decade of his career with Manchester United.

well, dont know if that's good or bad news. hes suspended against azerbaijan anyway and the next match, against N Ireland at home, wont be till march next year; and i dont give a flying fook about how he does at real, as long as he keeps producing for england

becks just loves playing at OT ;)

-fb

Anyone have highlights to the England Wales match? I was listening on BBC radio, would love to see Rooney's run that they were shouting about, or Beck's goal...

Ach! I'm gutted! Not for Scotland... but for the Faroe Islands. They were winning against Cyprus when 8 minutes from time Okkas scored the equalising goal to take the Faroes first win in WC Qualifying away from them.

:(

Back
Top Bottom